PDA

View Full Version : Disney Bailing From Florida Classic

Lehigh Football Nation
February 26th, 2008, 09:23 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=florida-classic-needs-a-new-sponsor&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Florida Classic Needs A New Sponsor
Orlando will play host to two annual historically black college football games this upcoming season, though its staple event is in need of a new sponsor.

Already home to the annual Florida Classic between Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman University each November, Orlando’s Florida Citrus Bowl will also host the fourth-year MEAC/SWAC Challenge on Aug. 31, ESPN announced Monday.

However, in joining its sister-company ESPN in announcing the game’s move to Orlando, Walt Disney World also declared Wednesday that it is ending support of Orlando’s annual Florida Classic game between Florida A&M University and Bethune-Cookman University.

813Jag
February 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM
That's a blow if the Classic loses Disney. Hopefully the game can continue it's growth. Boy Tampa really messed up that one. xnonono2x

Big Dawg
February 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
We really don't need Disney...the game is always gonna be huge.

Big Dawg
February 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM
But getting back to the topic, Disney's name not being with the Florida Classic will not affect it.

udchuck
February 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah...xlolx

But getting back to the topic, Disney's name not being with the Florida Classic will not affect it.

I'm sure some big time Company will pick it up,The Florida Classic is too big a venue to let slide away.xthumbsupx

blueballs
February 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Just a point of clarification... before anybody plays the race card the outgoing (I think he's outgoing, he may still be there) chairperson or VP of this sort of thing- I don't really know his exact title- for Disney is former Bengal All Pro Reggie Williams, who is black.

The Classic between BCC and FAMU is truly a classic and an awesome spectacle. They routinely sell out the 70,000+ seat Citrus Bowl (which BTW is scheduled to be renovated to NFL caliber in the next 5 years) and it is as good of a time, and that includes the whole weekend, as you can have around football.

Perhaps some of the folks from FAMU or BCC can answer this... but did Disney's sponsorship include some kind of special on lodging or was it just monetary?

GAD
February 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
That's a blow if the Classic loses Disney. Hopefully the game can continue it's growth. Boy Tampa really messed up that one. xnonono2x
You are right Tampa screwed up big time, but when you don't know how to treat people this is what happens.

813Jag
February 28th, 2008, 06:23 AM
You are right Tampa screwed up big time, but when you don't know how to treat people this is what happens.
The worse part is that the city wants that FAMU money back in the worse way. They were so excited a couple of years ago when the Rattlers came to town to play USF.

813Jag
February 28th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Just a point of clarification... before anybody plays the race card the outgoing (I think he's outgoing, he may still be there) chairperson or VP of this sort of thing- I don't really know his exact title- for Disney is former Bengal All Pro Reggie Williams, who is black.

The Classic between BCC and FAMU is truly a classic and an awesome spectacle. They routinely sell out the 70,000+ seat Citrus Bowl (which BTW is scheduled to be renovated to NFL caliber in the next 5 years) and it is as good of a time, and that includes the whole weekend, as you can have around football.

Perhaps some of the folks from FAMU or BCC can answer this... but did Disney's sponsorship include some kind of special on lodging or was it just monetary?
I believe it was monetary in the form of donations to the scholarship funds of each school.

GAD
February 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
The worse part is that the city wants that FAMU money back in the worse way. They were so excited a couple of years ago when the Rattlers came to town to play USF.
Tampa was sitting on a goldmine to bad the just couldn't see it. I have a cousin who lived in St. Pete he would tell me all the time how many of Tampas' residents and elected officals just wanted the game gone. Crazy thing now is they are begging for it back.

Big Dawg
February 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Tampa was sitting on a goldmine to bad the just couldn't see it. I have a cousin who lived in St. Pete he would tell me all the time how many of Tampas' residents and elected officals just wanted the game gone. Crazy thing now is they are begging for it back.

ANd they will NEVER get it back...

813Jag
February 29th, 2008, 05:28 AM
The way they treated people here was worse than the treatment the Classic gets in New Orleans.

agsadmin
February 29th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Stay on topic. Next post by panther88 or udchuck better be about Disney Bailing From the Florida Classic. No more warnings will be given. xpeacex

Panther88
February 29th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Stay on topic. Next post by panther88 or udchuck better be about Disney Bailing From the Florida Classic. No more warnings will be given. xpeacex

Y the looooooooooooooooooooong wait? xreadx

At any rate, I'm sure there are other sponsors behind the scenes who could become the "title" sponsor. I smell SWA and/or SFarm Ins behind the scenes, among others.

Frosty The Snowbuff
February 29th, 2008, 10:49 AM
We really don't need Disney...the game is always gonna be huge.

Agreed.....

This is Disney's loss......Do you honestly think that the Alums from those 2 schools are gonna stop doing what they do because Disney no longer wants to sponsor them????

And I'm not saying that because I used to work for them.....Although, I will say being at "work" (more like slavery) from 4-4 selling those T-Shirts during that event they had at Disney's Wide World of Sports won't be missed by me.......

GAD
March 1st, 2008, 12:26 PM
ANd they will NEVER get it back...
GOOD! I will just leave it at that

GAD
March 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
The way they treated people here was worse than the treatment the Classic gets in New Orleans.
Yeah thats why I'm glad they moved it. No other city in Louisiana could handle the Bayou Classic and with both schools being state supported it can't be taken to Houston, or Atlanta thou both cities made nice bids for it