PDA

View Full Version : JMU spring game report

JMU2004
April 23rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
things are looking good.....nice large crowd today before the Thunderstorms set in. 8 starters did not play due to injury/rehab

JMU report (http://www.jmusports.com/Team/Stories/2_3068.asp?TeamID=2&NewsID=3068)

igo4uni
April 23rd, 2005, 07:41 PM
Who won?

peace

igo4uni

JMU2004
April 24th, 2005, 12:19 AM
the Offense dominated........tough format to describe though......final was 30-13

DTSpider
April 24th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Did I read that right about a kid Brown who is a 260 pound running back?

rokamortis
April 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Wow! A monster RB - our defense will have their hands full in our first home game!!!

JMU Duke Dog
April 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Marvin Brown was converted from defensive end to fullback this offseason. Tailbacks Alvin Banks, Maurice Fenner, and Antoinne Bolton sat out from the spring game yesterday, but all will be available during the fall. Raymond Hines was the only returning tailback that participated in the spring game. The offensive line looked dominating and will only continue to get better, so the JMU running game should be nasty once again in 2005.

Tribe4SF
April 24th, 2005, 06:37 PM
No mention of the defense at all. How did they look? You guys are filling a number of holes there.

JMU2004
April 25th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Defense wasn't the question.......our OLine was, and they dominated. Our D-Line is pretty much unchanged(Suppon, Beach, Winston), our linebackers are developing, and our secondary should be solid.

JMU fans are very happy with what we saw......You cant judge the D by the score, because the format of the scrimmage clearly benefits the O.

Also, 8 starters were held out, most of them on O (Fenner, Banks, Hinds, Boxley)

Tribe4SF
April 25th, 2005, 06:06 AM
How about your LBs? With only Jordan back and Mickey quoted in the RTD about Kenney possibly starting, did anyone else show well? Also, how is Marcus Haywood from Williamsburg doing?

JMU2004
April 25th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Well, our LBs looked ok. Jordan looked real solid. In all honesty, we are going to be hurting if Brown doesn't come back.(honestly, not sure if he should come back.....he seems to create trouble everywhere). We have good players to fill in, but they are VERY green. Kenney seems like a beast, but I seriously doubt that a true frosh will start.

Haywood looked solid....certainly has good size and speed. He will probably be in the 2 deep.

Tribe4SF
April 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks 2004. Everyone in Williamsburg is pulling for Marcus.

I wondered about a frosh starting in a 2 LB setup. Seems to me the position is pretty demanding. He does look like a good prospect. Weren't some of your DEs formerly placed at LB? Maybe one comes back.

JMU2004
April 26th, 2005, 02:20 AM
LB is def. a tough position in the JMU D.....they do a lot of run stopping, but also MUST be able to cover TEs and backs. As I said, losing Mike Brown hurts. He MAY be back, but he still doesn't seem to get it.....He lost his spot at VT because of clashes with coaches, then does them same thing at JMU. He will get one more shot, but Mickey doesn't put up with that crap. Mike needs to do some soul searching.

Trae Kenny is one of our best recruits, and he should be special. He may come in and dominate, he certainly has the size/speed/drive to do so.....but A-10/CAA football has a very steep learning curve.

Time will tell......as always. LB is obviously a concern to us.

Luckily, many of our O-Line questions seem to have been answered by the Spring Game...They played very well against our veteran D-Line