PDA

View Full Version : Interesing thought on AE football...

Lehigh Football Nation
February 24th, 2008, 08:32 PM
http://americaleast.blogspot.com/2008/02/conference-expansion-dreaming.html

Thoughts? Think it could happen like this?

As I mentioned in another thread, I don't think Fordham would be involved in this.

Dane96
February 25th, 2008, 12:11 AM
In short, while that is one of his better pieces...I can categorically say for a fact-- THAT IS A NO GO.

The state schools do not want to add smaller private schools right now. To put it this way, if Hartford were NOT in the conference, they would not be invited or thought about.

Further, Bentley always talks about moving up-- Ain't happening any time soon. The short answer he gives is wrong-- The reason the move hasn't occurred is because Bentley's Trustees nixed the idea. Bentley HAS the money...they have had the money for YEARS! It isn't about money right now.

Even if they had money, go back to argument one-- Non-State school....and offers nothing to the conference in the sense of recruiting. Monmouth would get a nod over Bentley because of the fertile New Jersey recruiting grounds. Eastern/Central Mass-- We already get those kids that don't go big time DI or to a CAA school.

Don't get me wrong...I like Bentley as a school...and I think they could be a good DI. However, they fit the PL model more than the AE model. In fact, Bentley would be a great addition to the PL...if Holy Cross gave the thumbs up. Bryant would be a first choice if they went small private in NEW ENGLAND for the AE because it gives a Rhode Island footprint. Monmouth, IMHO, would be the overall TOP choice if they went small private.

Again, I don't see Albany, Bing, and SBU giving the thumbs up. I would out UNH and Maine in the same voting block...and BU as well.

The most important factor? The SUNY three have already stated they dont want a 12 team, 1 bid league. Not going to happen. I actually think ALL THE AE schools probably feel that way.

Fresno St. Alum
February 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Dane96, how much longer do we need to wait for C.Conn.St. to get an invite to the AE? 10 is better than 9 for basketball CCSU is a good state school fit for the AE. Bentley or NJIT could replace CCSU in the NEC as a 12th member. NJIT sucks but would be the only option to replace CCSU if/when they go.

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 25th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Has that guy ever been to a CAA football game?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 25th, 2008, 09:22 AM
NJIT this year went from possible NEC/AE/PL member to cautionary tale about moving up to D-I. Who would realistically want them now? The Patriot League could have been on their list - if they had any sort of success. Now, NJIT offers no benefit scholastically OR athletically.

Agreed that Bentley would be a great addition to the PL, better than the NEC, AE or any other option. Of course, it is very, very similar to Bryant who the PL decided to pass on... :(

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Has that guy ever been to a CAA football game?

Extremely doubtful!!!

bison137
February 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM
NJIT this year went from possible NEC/AE/PL member to cautionary tale about moving up to D-I. Who would realistically want them now? The Patriot League could have been on their list - if they had any sort of success. Now, NJIT offers no benefit scholastically OR athletically.

Agreed that Bentley would be a great addition to the PL, better than the NEC, AE or any other option. Of course, it is very, very similar to Bryant who the PL decided to pass on... :(

Hard to believe that NJIT would have been on any PL list regardless of their lack of success this year. Of all the many schools that have been discussed as possible PL members, they are probably the worst fit academically.

dgreco
February 25th, 2008, 10:42 AM

I agree about Bentley being a good fit for the PL, probably better than Bryant at least academically (except they have a lack of a liberal arts school) while bryant has a fastly growing one.

I can not see Bentley in the AE or even the NEC. I think if they made a move from the NE10 it would be for the PL. They have 4 years to see what happens, and with Bryant moving up Bentley could. Bentley was happy with the College at the end, until Bryant went to University and they have since been in theprocess of changing that also. So many they are a move up and have 4 years to grow the liberal arts and better their profile for the PL.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 25th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Dane96, how much longer do we need to wait for C.Conn.St. to get an invite to the AE? 10 is better than 9 for basketball CCSU is a good state school fit for the AE. Bentley or NJIT could replace CCSU in the NEC as a 12th member. NJIT sucks but would be the only option to replace CCSU if/when they go.

Personally, I don't sense a good relationship between the University of Hartford and CCSU. I'll have to ask a couple of UHart friends, but I'm guessing that they would be opposed to adding CCSU. The Hawks have enough trouble gaining a "market share" in Greater Hartford, they don't need a league competitor within the market. And I'm not convinced yet that Hartford is on board for anything that helps football.

I don't think anything is imminent for CCSU and AE. JMHO, but I haven't seen enough change to win over the AE Presidents who you have to remember have already voted down CCSU entry. While CCSU is a public institution, I don't believe they are a research institution or whatever tier the other AE public colleges are grouped into. That seemed to be a huge issue last time around.

And based on what I've seen allocated to the CT State University system, I'm not sure how CCSU can fund full scholarship football. Ace will no doubt reply to this thread and can provide much more detail. But the latest I saw was funding for bleachers on the visitor's side at Arute rather than a new stadium. (Much better than nothing mind you!!) And there was no funding for a new basketball arena which is probably the number one project/need for CCSU Athletics. I read that as a continued policy by the CT Legislature of throwing the CSU System the crumbs after the Sled Dogs are fed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't interpret that as funding that would support full scholarships and whatever Title IX balancing costs would be required. Believe me, I feel your pain Ace because UNH can't get any state money either. If we were trying to upgrade like you guys, I wouldn't give us much chance either. Thankfully, we have an established scholarship program.

And I doubt losing scholarships on that latest APR report will help Central's cause with the AE Presidents. Yes, CCSU has an explanation (read the link), but I still view that as a roadblock. At a minimum, I think the academic issue is huge with BU, UNH, Vermont, UMBC and Albany.

Only Central Connecticut State University was below the threshold in any sport, with an APR score of 884 for football and 866 for baseball. During the fall semester, it meant a reduction of three scholarships for the football team.

APR Story in Hartford Business (http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news3720.html)

Frankly, despite being a public institution, I think Monmouth would probably get more consideration for AE Expansion. There is a gaping hole in the AE Footprint that would be filled with a school in NJ or Eastern PA. And right now there aren't any football playing publics in either area that I see looking to upgrade to D-I.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
A couple things to consider with Bentley.

1. They already play D-I Ice Hockey which could become a factor with a conference move.

2. They have been a very good business school for decades now. Like D96 said, I don't think money is an issue. I know I have two cousins who graduated from Bentley and they have done well in life. I'm guessing Bentley has a huge baby boomer alumni group with decent wealth. Husky Alum can probably substantiate this since he works in that arena and in Boston.

aceinthehole
February 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Personally, I don't sense a good relationship between the University of Hartford and CCSU. I'll have to ask a couple of UHart friends, but I'm guessing that they would be opposed to adding CCSU. The Hawks have enough trouble gaining a "market share" in Greater Hartford, they don't need a league competitor within the market. And I'm not convinced yet that Hartford is on board for anything that helps football.

I don't think anything is imminent for CCSU and AE. JMHO, but I haven't seen enough change to win over the AE Presidents who you have to remember have already voted down CCSU entry. While CCSU is a public institution, I don't believe they are a research institution or whatever tier the other AE public colleges are grouped into. That seemed to be a huge issue last time around.

And based on what I've seen allocated to the CT State University system, I'm not sure how CCSU can fund full scholarship football. Ace will no doubt reply to this thread and can provide much more detail. But the latest I saw was funding for bleachers on the visitor's side at Arute rather than a new stadium. (Much better than nothing mind you!!) And there was no funding for a new basketball arena which is probably the number one project/need for CCSU Athletics. I read that as a continued policy by the CT Legislature of throwing the CSU System the crumbs after the Sled Dogs are fed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't interpret that as funding that would support full scholarships and whatever Title IX balancing costs would be required. Believe me, I feel your pain Ace because UNH can't get any state money either. If we were trying to upgrade like you guys, I wouldn't give us much chance either. Thankfully, we have an established scholarship program.

And I doubt losing scholarships on that latest APR report will help Central's cause with the AE Presidents. Yes, CCSU has an explanation (read the link), but I still view that as a roadblock. At a minimum, I think the academic issue is huge with BU, UNH, Vermont, UMBC and Albany.

APR Story in Hartford Business (http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news3720.html)

Frankly, despite being a public institution, I think Monmouth would probably get more consideration for AE Expansion. There is a gaping hole in the AE Footprint that would be filled with a school in NJ or Eastern PA. And right now there aren't any football playing publics in either area that I see looking to upgrade to D-I.

My friend from CT is pretty much on target. CCSU to the AE is not immenent, but I do have hope its more likely in the next few years.

1) Agree there is likely some "bad blood" between CCSU and UHa. It began when both schools moved to D-I back in 1986. They certainly don't want us as a competetior in MBB, but with the growth of Quinnipiac hoops (and 3 NEC teams in the state), CCSU and the NEC get much more press in the region. However, I feel this is something that can be worked out if cooler heads prevail on both sides. It would create a very strong conference rivalry for the Hawks, which they now lack in the AE.

2) Yes CCSU is public, bit its only a comprehensive master's university. It has limited Doctoral programs and doesn't have the reasearch of other AE schools. Although, the school is not generally well respected for its academic programs, its improved greatly over the last 10 years and is much better than most people remember. Also, (and I don't want to throw any schools under the bus), CCSU's current admissions profile (SAT scores, class rank, etc) is nearly identical or better than both Hartford and Maine and not far behind some others.

3) Funding is still an issue. We struggle for proper funding beacsue of UCONN, but we are still competative with many AE programs. We probably have a similar budget to UA, Hartford, or UMBC. We don't have a Title IX problem and could probably fund full-scholly ball (using a lot on in-state talent), but we haven't made that formal commitment yet. IMO, our facilities suck, but again aren't much worse than some around the AE (University Field at UA or Partick Gym at UVM).

4) I stongly DISAGREE with the APR issue. Its a flawed system to measure anything. For the record, when the preliminary results came out 2 years ago UCONN, disputed the validity of the results becasue they scored so poorly. A year later (with passing scores), they cited the strenghth of their academic programs. CCSU continues to work on academics and is making great progress, but I would never use this as a measurement.

5) Almost hands down, CCSU is the best ATHLETIC program in the NEC. Our teams have captured many conference titles and NCAA appearances. Monmouth and QU are also strong and I think Monmouth would be a candidate even though they are private. We are very competive with every AE team and have built a well rounded athletic program.

In the end, I think the AE is still taking the "wait and see" approach. Fact is CCSU isn't going anywhere and we'll be there in 4 more years if that's when they need us. Finally, there is no eveidence the AE wants to sponsor football now, and they are content in all sports.

TheValleyRaider
February 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Is it possible that instead of "America East" Football, you get some kind of football-only conference, like the Great West or Gateway, that exists independently of other sports?

You have to wonder if the CAA will go with having 13 teams once ODU joins (or even more if/when other schools add football), or if they will look to reduce size in some way. If that were to happen, the idea of a northeastern conference becomes possible, and this would be a way to get around larger-scale conference switches.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 25th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Is it possible that instead of "America East" Football, you get some kind of football-only conference, like the Great West or Gateway, that exists independently of other sports?

You have to wonder if the CAA will go with having 13 teams once ODU joins (or even more if/when other schools add football), or if they will look to reduce size in some way. If that were to happen, the idea of a northeastern conference becomes possible, and this would be a way to get around larger-scale conference switches.

Or if one of the teams elects to jump ship for other reasons, JMU or UMass could (ill-advisedly) finally force their way into trying for the brass ring of FBS. So, theoretically, could Villanova, even though their chance at is most likely gone forever.

From this observer, something is going to give. Twelve teams is already very unwieldy in the largest football conference in Division I without a championship game, and had Hofstra upset UMass the last game of the year the prospect of the CAA having an 8-3 team not qualifying for the playoffs would have been very real even with FOUR at-large teams. Furthermore, how can you call it a football conference when the "conference champion" is decided on a coin flip like it was last year? With more teams, you're only going to get more of these sorts of issues, not less.

IMO, another Northeast conference only happens with the following:

1) An automatic autobid for the conference when it is formed. Nobody will jump ship from the CAA if they need to earn an autobid.

2) Either the AE gets their act together and really make a dedicated effort to sponsor football, *or other A-10/AE/other schools get together independently to do this*, to make it happen.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
LFN, I think you and most outsiders make a bigger deal out of the size of the CAA and the inability of crowning a true champion. I really feel those aren't big issues within the league. I can't speak for all schools, but the goal is getting a playoff bid and winning the whole enchilada.

From my UNH point of view:

Being the CAA Champ is nice to say, but it's still just fluff when the goal is winning in Chatty!
Scheduling is easier and better with this large league over any of the other league alternatives that I've heard. Especially since the PL and Ivy don't schedule many games with the CAA.
I'll take my chances getting an at large bid even in a 14 team CAA over any of the other league alternatives I've heard.
I like my chances of being a true NC contender coming out of the CAA than I would as the AQ from any of the league alternatives that I've heard.
Sorry but being the umpteen time champion of AE Football but one and done in the playoffs all the time means squat to me.

Go...gate
February 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Not that cautionary. They are already in the process of hiring a new coach and doubling the capacity of their small arena. They will be fine, though I am at a loss as to the conference with which they are the best fit.

DFW HOYA
February 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
The IAA/FCS playoffs wasn't meant to be the CAA-SoCon Invitational. When the commitee starts to pull back on the bids, then people will squawk.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 25th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Ace, I expected you to disagree with the APR stuff. My comments weren't meant to say the APR was accurate or not. But it is the measurement being used. Anytime problems related to are publicized, it brings negative attention to an institution. The part that I think is relevant is that any negative attention of this ilk has to be addressed. Human nature says that opinions are going to be build upon that information. JMHO, but that's one more roadblock that CCSU has to deal with and overcome. It's a perception that has to be broken with the Presidents. I don't know how you disagree with that?

FWIW, as a resident of CT who has a couple of family members with recent experience in the Hartford school system, the more athletes I see at CCSU from Weaver, HPHS, Bulkeley, Hillhouse, Wilbur Cross, Bassick, Harding, Wilby, Kennedy, and a slew of other smaller city HS without also attending a prep school then the less I feel that CCSU has really improved the academic standards for athletes. You recall the threads on the AE Forum about the poor quality academically of so many of the CT HS Athletes don't you? It isn't just me with a vendetta against CCSU, hope I don't come across that way. I mean I'd get to see more UNH games with even less effort than going to UHart!

BTW, I'm not sure I'd use the spinmeisters from that semi-professional operation in Storrs as an argument in your favor. ;)

henfan
February 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Interesting discussion.

See my comments under the ECU thread regarding the CAA's lack of interest in reducing FB league size after ODU is added. Even at 13 or 14, there will be little compelling need for the CAA to reduce FB league size. As well, the affiliates seem not to believe that eventual league size will impact them negatively.

The AEC's desire for FB is driven almost exclusively by their own branding & membership issues. Unless the AEC makes the decision to expand it's Olympic sport league, I just don't see them landing the critical mass needed to form a viable FB league. There needs to be big incentives for UMaine and UNH to move from a league that has a playoff autobid and several at-larges each year to a conference without a bid at all (at least for several years after start-up.) The AEC also has to assure those schools that a new affiliation will be more stable, and economically & competitively feasible than the CAA. That may be a very tough sell.

(BTW, Hoya, I just don't see any evidence that bids will be pulled from the CAA, SoCon or Gateway. If/when the FCS goes to 20 teams, I think you'll see those league consistently land more bids. Sorry for getting a little off topic!)

danefan
February 25th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Interesting discussion.

See my comments under the ECU thread regarding the CAA's lack of interest in reducing FB league size after ODU is added. Even at 13 or 14, there will be little compelling need for the CAA to reduce FB league size. As well, the affiliates seem not to believe that eventual league size will impact them negatively.

The AEC's desire for FB is driven almost exclusively by their own branding & membership issues. Unless the AEC makes the decision to expand it's Olympic sport league, I just don't see them landing the critical mass needed to form a viable FB league. There needs to be big incentives for UMaine and UNH to move from a league that has a playoff autobid and several at-larges each year to a conference without a bid at all (at least for several years after start-up.) The AEC also has to assure those schools that a new affiliation will be more stable, and economically & competitively feasible than the CAA. That may be a very tough sell.

(BTW, Hoya, I just don't see any evidence that bids will be pulled from the CAA, SoCon or Gateway. If/when the FCS goes to 20 teams, I think you'll see those league consistently land more bids. Sorry for getting a little off topic!)

There is also the other side to the UNH scenario. If a new league forms and UNH leaves the CAA to go to that new league with say the following teams:

UNH
Maine
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Central Conn
Monmouth

Under the current rules the league wouldn't qualify for an AQ. UNH could play a very similar schedule in terms of GPI strength (because that's the only real way to measure it up in the abstract) as they are going to play in 2008:

2008 Schedule (07 GPI):
Army (FBS)
URI (49)
Albany (43)
Dartmouth (77)
W&M (34)
Northeastern (39)
Towson (52)
Hofstra (21)
Villanova (15)
UMass (7)
Maine (44)

Average GPI (not counting FBS): 34.63

Possible Schedule in new league:
Army (FBS)
URI (49)
Albany (43)

Monmouth (89)
W&M (34)
Central Conn. (92)
Hofstra (21)
Stony Brook (51)
Villanova (15)
UMass (7)
Maine (44)

Average GPI (not counting FBS): 40.45

Also, you would imagine that SBU, Albany, Monmouth and Central would all have increases in GPI being at full-scholarship level and not having to play St. Francis and Sacred Heart.

8-3 with either schedule gets a bid regardless of having an AQ or not doesn't it? Two years later you get an AQ and you are talking about a 2-bid league. In fact, add UMass as an affiliate and you'd start out as a two-bid league with or without an AQ.

Come selection time UNH is preparing for their first round game instead of biting their nails to see if they'll get in at 7-4 like they were this year.

xcoffeex

danefan
February 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Interesting discussion.

There is also the other side to the UNH scenario. If a new league forms and UNH leaves the CAA to go to that new league with say the following teams:

UNH
Maine
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Central Conn
Monmouth

Under the current rules the league wouldn't immediately qualify for an AQ. UNH could play a very similar schedule in terms of GPI strength (because that's the only real way to measure it up in the abstract) as they are going to play in 2008:

2008 Schedule (07 GPI):
Army (FBS)
URI (49)
Albany (43)
Dartmouth (77)
W&M (34)
Northeastern (39)
Towson (52)
Hofstra (21)
Villanova (15)
UMass (7)
Maine (44)

Army (FBS)
URI (49)
Albany (43)
Monmouth (89)
W&M (34) (or Delaware, 'Nova, Richmond, etc....)
Central Conn. (92)
Hofstra (21)
Stony Brook (51)
Villanova (15)
UMass (7)
Maine (44)

Put Delaware, 'Nova, or Richmond in place of W&M and you have pretty much the same GPI as the 2008 schedule.

Also, you would imagine that SBU, Albany, Monmouth and Central would all have increases in GPI being at full-scholarship level and not having to play St. Francis and Sacred Heart.

8-3 with either schedule gets a bid regardless of having an AQ or not doesn't it? Two years later you get an AQ and you are talking about a 2-bid league. In fact, add UMass as an affiliate and you'd start out as a two-bid league with or without an AQ.

Come selection time UNH is preparing for their first round game instead of biting their nails to see if they'll get in at 7-4 like they were this year.

xcoffeex

WrenFGun
February 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I don't think UNH would leave without UMass, frankly. I don't know that for sure, but UMass would be almost out on an island if the rest of the New England teams, beyond Northeastern, took off. UNH and UMass are the class of the CAA North right now, and I think they'd go together. If you add UMass to that 8-team conference, presuming they don't go FBS, then I really see no problem making that switch, presuming SBU, Monmouth and CCSU continue to improve.

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM

UNH
Maine
URI
Albany
Stony Brook
Central Conn
Monmouth

Under the current rules the league wouldn't immediately qualify for an AQ. UNH could play a very similar schedule in terms of GPI strength (because that's the only real way to measure it up in the abstract) as they are going to play in 2008:

2008 Schedule (07 GPI):
Army (FBS)
URI (49)
Albany (43)
Dartmouth (77)
W&M (34)
Northeastern (39)
Towson (52)
Hofstra (21)
Villanova (15)
UMass (7)
Maine (44)

Army (FBS)
URI (49)
Albany (43)
Monmouth (89)
W&M (34) (or Delaware, 'Nova, Richmond, etc....)
Central Conn. (92)
Hofstra (21)
Stony Brook (51)
Villanova (15)
UMass (7)
Maine (44)

Put Delaware, 'Nova, or Richmond in place of W&M and you have pretty much the same GPI as the 2008 schedule.

xcoffeex

But you're assuming that UMass, Hofstra, Villanova, W&M (or Del or Rich) all would agree to play UNH home and home OOC.

Do you really believe that would/could happen year after year?

aceinthehole
February 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ace, I expected you to disagree with the APR stuff. My comments weren't meant to say the APR was accurate or not. But it is the measurement being used. Anytime problems related to are publicized, it brings negative attention to an institution. The part that I think is relevant is that any negative attention of this ilk has to be addressed. Human nature says that opinions are going to be build upon that information. JMHO, but that's one more roadblock that CCSU has to deal with and overcome. It's a perception that has to be broken with the Presidents. I don't know how you disagree with that?

FWIW, as a resident of CT who has a couple of family members with recent experience in the Hartford school system, the more athletes I see at CCSU from Weaver, HPHS, Bulkeley, Hillhouse, Wilbur Cross, Bassick, Harding, Wilby, Kennedy, and a slew of other smaller city HS without also attending a prep school then the less I feel that CCSU has really improved the academic standards for athletes. You recall the threads on the AE Forum about the poor quality academically of so many of the CT HS Athletes don't you? It isn't just me with a vendetta against CCSU, hope I don't come across that way. I mean I'd get to see more UNH games with even less effort than going to UHart!

BTW, I'm not sure I'd use the spinmeisters from that semi-professional operation in Storrs as an argument in your favor. ;)

UNH - I always appreciate your comments. They are not for off from the reality, but obviously I have a more optomistic view of CCSU. :)

I have a major issue with the APR becasue of what it lacks - BCS and major D-I schools. Fact is many teams in the NCAA are performing much worse in the classroom, but have somehow avoided this list through creative means. Take Florida State. Its a huge doctoral, reseach institution that has many outstanding graduates and alumni. I'll take CCSU athlete's reputation in a second.

Again, I don't disagree with your PERCEPTION of CCSU, but the facts don't exactly back it up. Again, our admisions standards aren't what the were 10, 20, or 30 years ago (visit our website). The one positive think about UConn's effect on CCSU has been we have gotten much stronger due to their increasing popularity. A good student who could get into UConn 10 years ago, is now getting denied in Storrs and that is strenghting CCSU's pool of students.

Howie graduates all his 4 year players. They are all better men for being in his program. And we do ask players to go to prep school if they don't have the grades. Chris Baskerville (Bulkley) committed to CCSU last year but went to prep to improve academics.

I don't think you come acrooss with a vendenta or ax to grind. As a CT resident you know the history and may have seen a bad article or heard a story or two. But I only ask you to remember last season's NCAA team. Javy Mojica, a former walk-on from MA, earned a scholarship by hard work on the court and in his senior year won POY and went to the Big Dance. Most importantly he graduated and got his life and his family on track.

CCSU like many other schools, is an "opportunity" school. We have tons of really bright kids that are well prepared for collge. But it is also a school that provides an opportunity for those unprepared for college due to poor urban school sytem,. They now have the chance at at better life. And in the end, that why I'm so proud of my school.

So in the end, I certainly feel we are "AE caliber." I think we'd offer the conference a lot both on the filed and in the classroom. I hope one NCAA study isn't your ONLY measure of worthiness.

danefan
February 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM
But you're assuming that UMass, Hofstra, Villanova, W&M (or Del or Rich) all would agree to play UNH home and home OOC.

Not all of them year after year, but a majority would. Remember, they will be losing UNH (and URI and Maine) from the CAA as well. And you would need to get a combination of four teams each year choosing from those six and all the of the top teams in the Socon, Great West, Gateway, Big Sky, etc, etc......

henfan
February 25th, 2008, 03:20 PM

This is the kind of stuff that would keep Marty Scarano and Blake James up all night. UMass & HU aside, these type of home-home noncon games would be highly unlikely at least and not something to bank on at best. For example, does anyone know how many times VU, W&M, JMU and UR visited UMaine and UNH prior to joining the YankCon? Zero.

UD is the only school to have visited Orono (once) and Durham (5 times) before joining the YankCon, way back in the D-II Independent days. These days financial considerations would all but preclude UD from agreeing to home-home deals with UNH & UMaine.

danefan
February 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM
This is the kind of stuff that would keep Marty Scarano and Blake James up all night. UMass & HU aside, these type of home-home noncon games would be highly unlikely at least and not something to bank on at best. For example, does anyone know how many times VU, W&M, JMU and UR visited UMaine and UNH prior to joining the YankCon? Zero.

UD is the only school to have visited Orono (once) and Durham (5 times) before joining the YankCon, way back in the D-II Independent days. These days financial considerations would all but preclude UD from agreeing to home-home deals with UNH & UMaine.

Well thanks for ruining my whole "comparative schedule" theory. xoopsx

Now my theory is comparative schedule*
*without budgetary consideration.

Fresno St. Alum
February 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
thanks for your input guys. I really would like the AE to get to 10 soon with CCSU or Monmouth. If the ever got football that would be a plus too. all the AE members w/fb plus the A-10 members would make a good conference.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks Henfan, much more effective to hear that message first from an objective, impartial observer than from me!! ;) xnodx :D I think you're spot on. If UNH isn't in the CAA, then I foresee zero games going forward with W&M, Richmond, JMU and Villanova. They just have so many other options that are less expensive. Although with UNH's lack of success against W&M, they might pay us to come down once every few years! :p xlolx I didn't include Towson only because there are the AE years together with UNH, they are a public institution and something creative could be bundled with volleyball, basketball or gymnastics. But frankly, they too have so many other less expensive options that I won't hold my breath.

The only one of the six CAA South schools that UNH has a long history with is Delaware. Obviously, economics like HF stated aren't going to keep UNH on the Delaware schedule. Maybe the good relations and long history might get UNH a two or three for one deal, but that's probably a stretch. Then again, Henfan's influence and his desire for a trip to the Seacoast Area once every four years should get UNH a multiple for one deal. :p :p At best, we'd probably see a game once every four years in Newark similar to the 2004 game where the Hens threw a few benjamins the Wildcats way in lieu of a return game.

I'm guessing that Hofstra would keep scheduling UNH, not anywhere as sure about them with Maine because it is just that much farther of a trip. But at the same time, they have so many less expensive options while not necessarily needing a high GPI (Wagner, Fordham, Columbia, Monmouth, Marist, Sacred Heart, etc.). No guarantee UNH could count on Hofstra either.

No kidding this would keep Marty Scarano up at night!!!!!!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
UNH - I always appreciate your comments. They are not for off from the reality, but obviously I have a more optomistic view of CCSU. :)

I have a major issue with the APR becasue of what it lacks - BCS and major D-I schools. Fact is many teams in the NCAA are performing much worse in the classroom, but have somehow avoided this list through creative means. Take Florida State. Its a huge doctoral, reseach institution that has many outstanding graduates and alumni. I'll take CCSU athlete's reputation in a second.

Again, I don't disagree with your PERCEPTION of CCSU, but the facts don't exactly back it up. Again, our admisions standards aren't what the were 10, 20, or 30 years ago (visit our website). The one positive think about UConn's effect on CCSU has been we have gotten much stronger due to their increasing popularity. A good student who could get into UConn 10 years ago, is now getting denied in Storrs and that is strenghting CCSU's pool of students.

Howie graduates all his 4 year players. They are all better men for being in his program. And we do ask players to go to prep school if they don't have the grades. Chris Baskerville (Bulkley) committed to CCSU last year but went to prep to improve academics.

I don't think you come acrooss with a vendenta or ax to grind. As a CT resident you know the history and may have seen a bad article or heard a story or two. But I only ask you to remember last season's NCAA team. Javy Mojica, a former walk-on from MA, earned a scholarship by hard work on the court and in his senior year won POY and went to the Big Dance. Most importantly he graduated and got his life and his family on track.

CCSU like many other schools, is an "opportunity" school. We have tons of really bright kids that are well prepared for collge. But it is also a school that provides an opportunity for those unprepared for college due to poor urban school sytem,. They now have the chance at at better life. And in the end, that why I'm so proud of my school.

So in the end, I certainly feel we are "AE caliber." I think we'd offer the conference a lot both on the filed and in the classroom. I hope one NCAA study isn't your ONLY measure of worthiness.

Ace, just for full disclosure I want you to know that my HS Alma Mater is Bulkeley and that I have a nephew attending CCSU full-time.

I do try to stay open-minded about CCSU and I count on you to provide information about what's going on over in New Britain. That's one of the beauties of an Internet Message Board.

Just a last couple of things, my academic issues/concerns aren't with the overall student body at any school, they are with the scholarship athletes. That is the area that I'll be watching going forward. And to be honest in your case the football side of the house more so than the hoop side. Howie does things the correct way and is a tremendous ambassador for CCSU.

And I'll be interested in any progress reports if CCSU moves forward in the quest for full scholarship football. Personally, I'd like to see some incremental advances that would offset my apprehensions when I read articles in the Courant about CCSU not getting a fraction of funding that was requested.

But you know what, at the end of the day, I'm just a blabbering participant on an Internet Message Board. Changing my perception would gain some public approval on the forums, but what is really needed is winning over the AE Presidents. As of this date, I don't have much influence with Dr. Huddleston, but it's on my "to do" list for 2008. ;) :p :p xrotatehx xlolx xlolx

Husky Alum
February 25th, 2008, 08:33 PM
W/R/T Bentley... I can't see them going D-I. I think they like being the cream of the crop in the D-II sports they play.

Their men's hoops team is undefeated (and was undefeated until a loss in the national semi's last year). Their women's hoops team is as strong a D-II program in the east as there is. Their field hockey team is a D-II powerhouse. Their football team is VERY strong.

Why would they want to spend the money to go D-I? They're spending a ton of cash on facilities, academics, and professors, and the alumni I know and the faculty I know there don't want them to be the "fifth wheel" in D-I sports in Boston. They'd be behind the four Beanpot schools (NU, BU, BC, Harvard) and enjoy their niche.

They'd need to improve some of their facilities, but they have plenty of space to build. However, they don't have a huge endowment - they have a nice young alumni base, but I'm not sure how big the pool of free cash to spend is on a D-I program.

Bentley loves to compete academically with a school like Babson - they're both business-focused schools.

The nitwit who wrote that article indicated that Bentley beat NU in hoops - it was a freaking pre-season exhibition three years ago.

Dane96
February 25th, 2008, 10:57 PM
It was the Leaster-- I expect nothing less. I couched my words to open this. He is Vermont fanatic...and I pretty convinced of who he is.

aceinthehole
February 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM
UNH - Hope your nephew is enjoying his time at CCSU. I also know you, like myself, are just informed and involved fans who like to share info. These boards usually do not have a big impact on the real decision makers out there. :)

So let me inform you with a few recent items on our student-athletes academic records, and yes, I'm sure this is part of our case to AE Presidents.

Nutt, a football player, has been both an athletic and academic star and is getting NFL looks hoping to sign as a FA.

Ryne Nutt Named NEC Scholar-Athlete; Blue Devils Place 46 on Academic Honor Roll
Senior captain Ryne Nutt continued his impressive post-season award collection by being named the Northeast Conference's football Scholar-Athlete on Tuesday. Nutt was previously honored as a CoSIDA/ESPN the Magazine Academic All-American for the second straight season following a standout career for CCSU. Nutt, who graduated in December, is also one of 46 Blue Devils to be named to the NEC's Fall Academic Honor Roll on Tuesday.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1372796&SPID=10551&SPSID=88585

Blue Devils Earn Sixth Straight NSCAA/adidas Team Academic Award
Central Connecticut State women's soccer earned its sixth consecutive NSCAA/adidas Team Academic Award. The Blue Devil program maintained a 3.17 GPA during the 2006-07 academic year, making it one of 295 women's programs nationwide to achieve the honor. On the pitch, CCSU (9-9-1) finished the season with a 2-1 semifinal loss versus Sacred Heart in the Northeast Conference Tournament.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1352599&SPID=10552&SPSID=88594

Five Blue Devils Earn NFCA Academic All-America Honors
Central Connecticut had five players, the most under head coach Mandy Roczniak, earn National Fastpitch Coaches Association Academic All-America honors for the 2006-07 academic year. Alison Rossi, who finished her career with the Blue Devils last season, joined rising senior Karen Costes and junior-to-be Rachel Brenneman and rising sophomores Heather Goscinski and Caylee Johanson as those recognized. It was the third straight award for Rossi.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1327414&SPID=10556&SPSID=88613

Snyder Collects Second Straight CSCAA Academic All-America Honor
Central Connecticut senior Lindsey Snyder earned her second consecutive College Swim Coaches of America Association Academic All-America selection.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1208867&SPID=10554&SPSID=88603

CCSU Volleyball Earns GamePlan/AVCA Team Academic Award
Central Connecticut's volleyball team earned a Game Plan/AVCA Team Academic Award for 2006-07, as announced by the American Volleyball Coaches' Association. The Blue Devils were one of 55 NCAA Division I teams to receive the honor, which is given to schools maintaining at least a 3.30 cumulative team grade-point average.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1134708&SPID=10560&SPSID=88635

Ray Highlights 24 Blue Devils on NEC Spring Academic Honor Roll
One of 24 Central Connecticut student-athletes to earn spring academic honor roll recognition, senior Brendon Ray was named the Northeast Conference Scholar-Athlete of the Year in men's golf. Ray, the 2007 NEC Golfer of the Year, is the fourth Blue Devil to earn scholar-athlete of the year honors in 2006-07, joining Alex Harrison (men's soccer), Jessica McCavanagh (women's soccer) and Lindsey Snyder (women's swimming).
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=925825&SPID=10557&SPSID=88616

Sustained Excellence for Women's Soccer Program
Central Connecticut State women's soccer earned its fifth consecutive NSCAA/adidas Team Academic Award, as announced by the organization. The Blue Devil program, headed by ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District first team honoree Jessica McCavanagh, maintained a 3.13 GPA, making it one of 232 women's programs nationwide to achieve the honor. On the pitch, CCSU (8-9-2) finished the season with a 2-1 semifinal loss versus Monmouth in the Northeast Conference Tournament.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=925946&SPID=10552&SPSID=88594

Blue Devils Swimming and Diving Named Academic All-America Team
The Central Connecticut swimming and diving team was honored by the College Swim Coaches of America Association by being named an Academic All-America Team. As a team the Blue Devils posted a grade-point average of 3.16 for the fall 2005 semester. Central was one of 275 teams to receive the honor.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1086983&SPID=10554&SPSID=88603

Senior Tom Pezzello Named to CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team for Second Straight Season
Senior outfielder Tom Pezzello was named to the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) Academic All-District First-Team for the second consecutive season, it was announced on Thursday. Pezzello is one of 11 players in District I and the only player from the Northeast Conference named to the First-Team. His name will be forwarded to the national ballot with the chance of being named a Verizon Academic All-American later this spring.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1085317&SPID=10561&SPSID=88643

Senior Quarterback Scott Dolch Named to NACDA Division I-AA Academic All-Star Team
Senior quarterback Scott Dolch was named one of 36 members of the Seventh Annual Division I-AA Athletics Directors Association Academic All-Star Team, it was announced on Friday. The winners were chosen from 86 total nominees and were announced at the Division I-AA football championship in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Dolch is one of two Northeast Conference players and one of five quarterbacks to be named to the team. Earlier this week, Dolch was named to the NEC Academic Honor Roll for his performance in the classroom as well as on the playing field.
http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=17600&ATCLID=1085845&SPID=10551&SPSID=88585

BearsCountry
February 26th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I'll throw out a darkhorse canadiate for the AE -Delaware State.

Dane96
February 26th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Definitely an option. Before I get attacked for the wrong reasons, I know academics will come into play here.

What I am saying is-- I am not familiar with the academic profile of DSU but I DO know that it will be a huge thing for any school coming into the AE. State research schools are who the AE is looking for-- Doctoral level.

If DSU fits that bill, then sure, they are in the hunt.