PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly to play Wisconsin

poly51
February 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
In this mornings San Luis Obispo Tribune the lead article states "Mustangs add Wisconsin to '08 slate"

The game is tentatively scheduled for November 22nd in Wisconsin. It will be Cal Polys 2nd FBS game for 08 and their first ever against a BCS team.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the heads-up poly51. xthumbsupx

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=mustangs-add-fbs-wisconsin-to-08-slate&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

The Cal Poly football program has worked out a contract to play at Wisconsin next season, The Tribune has learned.

The nonconference meeting, which would be Cal Poly’s first against a BCS program at the Division I level, is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 22, according to multiple sources close to the program.

OrygunBison
February 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
That's a bunch of crap. WE wanted that game...

Sorry, I'm just jealous and need a good reason to fly back to the Midwest...

MR. CHICKEN
February 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
NOT UH GOOD I-DEER...PLAYIN' DUH CHEESE-WHIZ...IN NOVEMBERAH..&....END O' SEASON.....MIGHT WANNAH DOUBLE CHECK....WHIFF STATESBORO...xeyebrowx...AWK!

slostang
February 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Cal Poly's press release on the Wisconsin game: http://gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=29891&article_id=45241

ursus arctos horribilis
February 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
In this mornings San Luis Obispo Tribune the lead article states "Mustangs add Wisconsin to '08 slate"

The game is tentatively scheduled for November 22nd in Wisconsin. It will be Cal Polys 2nd FBS game for 08 and their first ever against a BCS team.

With two of these games I sure hope you don't have a d2 on the schedule for 2008. This would put you guys in some serious jeopardy of not making the playoffs for 2008. I went to the gopoly site buy I did not see the 2008 schedule up yet, do you have it somewhere else? Cal Poly is a team I root for if we're not playing you guys so I hope your AD didn't just pull a Portland State on your team.

slostang
February 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
With two of these games I sure hope you don't have a d2 on the schedule for 2008. This would put you guys in some serious jeopardy of not making the playoffs for 2008. I went to the gopoly site buy I did not see the 2008 schedule up yet, do you have it somewhere else? Cal Poly is a team I root for if we're not playing you guys so I hope your AD didn't just pull a Portland State on your team.

They have not release the schedule yet. They have 11 games under contract and are trying for a 12th. They hope to release the schedule in a couple of weeks. There is one non counter on the schedule, the University of South Dakota. If they get a 12th game that will give Cal Poly 9 FCS counters to get 7 wins. Don't count the San Diego State game as a loss though, Cal Poly beat them in 2006 and next years team is a far better team than 2006 team was.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 22nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
They have not release the schedule yet. They have 11 games under contract and are trying for a 12th. The hope to release the schedule in a couple of weeks. There is one non counter on the schedule, the University of South Dakota. If they get a 12th game that will give Cal Poly 9 FCS counters to get 7 wins. Don't count the San Diego State game as a loss though, Cal Poly beat them in 2006 and next years team is a far better team than 2006 team was.

No, I'm not counting it as a loss and I do follow the stangs pretty closely but that puts you guys in a real tough position. Hell I hope you go 10-1 or 11-1 at this point and then go 3-1 in the playoffs if I had my about it.

slostang
February 22nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
No, I'm not counting it as a loss and I do follow the stangs pretty closely but that puts you guys in a real tough position. Hell I hope you go 10-1 or 11-1 at this point and then go 3-1 in the playoffs if I had my about it.

I am pulling for Montana to go 11-1 in 2008. I bet you know who I am hoping hands the Griz the only loss.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I am pulling for Montana to go 11-1 in 2008. I bet you know who I am hoping hands the Griz the only loss.

Somehow, I new you'd have a different forecast than I did. A loss to CP would be palatable during the season if we could meet you in the chipper and avenge it.

Poly Pigskin
February 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM

I agree, I'm worried about the schedule putting too much pressure on the FCS games we play. But like slostang said, the 2008 team will be very talented and they should be capable of winning the games they need.

I would prefer not to bookend the season with FBS games, but it's hard to say no to a game like this. And who knows, maybe we get lucky and pull the upset like App and Davis did.

Poly Pigskin
February 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Somehow, I new you'd have a different forecast than I did. A loss to CP would be palatable during the season if we could meet you in the chipper and avenge it.

Yeah, that worked out nicely for us in 2005! xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
February 22nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, that worked out nicely for us in 2005! xthumbsupx

Indeed it did, and a good reason I would like to turn the tables. BTW is that ****in' monster Ramses Barden done yet?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 22nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
xrolleyesx

http://blogs.jsonline.com/badgers/archive/2008/02/22/alvarez-comments-on-08-schedule.aspx

Why not come out and say it Barry..." we wanted an income producing cupcake to pad our record and insure a winning record so we can go to another bowl game, which as we all know helps recruiting and gives the players another 3 weeks of practice, which is good for the underclassman"...spoken like a true UW athletic director...

xrolleyesx

Wow. How pathetic can they get? Why not schedule Madison Memorial while they are at it? Looks like another mediocre (and a 10 win season against substandard competition is mediocre) with another non-BCS bowl (if we're lucky.) We haven't even won the conference since 2000. But as long as the fans settle for this crap, the program will never take the next step.

xrolleyesx

As a long time season ticket holder, I will sell my Cal Poly tickets just like most of us have done for the past cupcake games vs Buffalo ('06) & N.Illinois ('07).

WE DO NOT WANT TO SEE THESE GAMES. I would much rather finish 9-3 with a loss versus a Virg.Tech or Texas or USC, than finish 10-2 with a cupcake win. MW26 thinks this is better "for the long run of the program". Get a clue. We need to get in these big, national games to further increase our national recruiting base. OSU's home and home vs Texas is a great example of Athletic Directors getting the big picture. A tough loss early in the season to a top 10 team will not hurt your bowl chances. It can only help measure yourself with the best, while giving your ticket holder base a game they want and pay big money in annual seat fees to watch. We can be satisfied with being a second tier, profitable program, or we can at least attempt to join the OSU, Mich, Texas, USC, Oklahoma of top tier programs. They all schedule a cupcake or two, but not as many as UW. (I'd also mention Northwestern, Minnesota, & IU as additional auto-schedule cupcakes.)

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

My prediction that FBS fans will learn nothing from the App State win is coming true. xrolleyesx

slostang
February 22nd, 2008, 09:11 PM
Indeed it did, and a good reason I would like to turn the tables. BTW is that ****in' monster Ramses Barden done yet?

Nope. He will be senior in 2008 as will James Noble, Ryan Mole, Jonathan Dally and Tredale Tolver.

Thank God Lex graduated.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Nope. He will be senior in 2008 as will James Noble, Ryan Mole, Jonathan Dally and Tredale Tolver.

Thank God Lex graduated.

OH THAT'S GOOD NEWS! I am happy that our youth on defense will get to experience such a venerable offense right out of the gate. I knew you had the other guys back but I was hoping against hope that Barden was done because he is the one guy that seemed to absolutely keep drives alive even if he only has 4 or 5 receptions in a game they were always huge catches.

Note to self, check into how CP has had these offensive machines on their roster for what appears to be a decade now.

slostang
February 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
UAH, how do you like the catch he is making in my Avatar? That poor Northern Colorado DB does not have a clue where the ball is (which is about 4 feet over his head). BTW he took that reception to the house. One of his 18 TDs last year.

Go Poly
February 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
UAH, how do you like the catch he is making in my Avatar? That poor Northern Colorado DB does not have a clue where the ball is (which is about 4 feet over his head). BTW he took that reception to the house. One of his 18 TDs last year.

It was a great catch indeed!!

Shellin
February 23rd, 2008, 01:58 AM
It seems like Noble has been around forever.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 23rd, 2008, 02:04 AM

Yes, there is no denying that feller is a beast out on the field. I think he is going to make a good pro as well. He is one hell of a load.

Poly Pigskin
February 23rd, 2008, 02:07 AM
OH THAT'S GOOD NEWS! I am happy that our youth on defense will get to experience such a venerable offense right out of the gate. I knew you had the other guys back but I was hoping against hope that Barden was done because he is the one guy that seemed to absolutely keep drives alive even if he only has 4 or 5 receptions in a game they were always huge catches.

Note to self, check into how CP has had these offensive machines on their roster for what appears to be a decade now.

It does seem like Barden always has big catches, and they were much more frequent last year. Putting Dally at quarterback really seemed to help, because he's more accurate that Brennan ever was. Brennan was a capable quarterback (led us to our only playoff victory), but the passing game seems much more consistent with Dally at the helm. If we're able to survive this schedule and get a playoff birth, look out folks.

slostang
February 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Camp Ranall Stadium:

Proud Griz Man
February 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Cal Poly's press release on the Wisconsin game: http://gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&tab=news&id=29891&article_id=45241

I can't see any disclosure of how much $$$ Cal Poly is getting to travel to Wisconsin.

Also, how much did Idaho pay Cal Poly last year?

You know where I am going with this ... xrulesx xreadx xrulesx xreadx

poly51
February 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
It is in this mornings Tribune that Cal Poly is getting a 500K payout for this game in Wisconsin. I don't know what Idaho paid.

Poly Pigskin
February 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Here's the Tribune article: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/story/284651.html

It mentions payouts from SDSU and SJSU, but strangely not Idaho.

slostang
February 23rd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I can't see any disclosure of how much $$$ Cal Poly is getting to travel to Wisconsin.

Also, how much did Idaho pay Cal Poly last year?

You know where I am going with this ... xrulesx xreadx xrulesx xreadx

As far as Idaho is concerned, probably less than Montana.

Proud Griz Man
February 23rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
It is in this mornings Tribune that Cal Poly is getting a 500K payout for this game in Wisconsin. I don't know what Idaho paid.

$500K is really nice.
I'm looking forward to seeing Cal Poly's stadium in September, and hopefully the Griz play really well.

ngineer
February 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
Great OOC game..The Citadel aquitted themselves very well in Madison last year. But playing so late in the seaon up there 'cold' be alot different than catching the Badgers early.

PSUVikings
February 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Good luck up at Camp Randall, thats one tough place to play

slostang
February 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
psufan10, I would like to see Portland State on Cal Poly's schedule in the near future. It has been too long since they have played. Good luck in 2008.

elcid96
February 25th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Good luck, we played them last year and had the game tied at 21 a piece at half time.

slostang
February 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Good luck, we played them last year and had the game tied at 21 a piece at half time.

You gave them a lot more than they expected. I am hoping that Cal Poly can do the same.

citdog
February 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
You gave them a lot more than they expected. I am hoping that Cal Poly can do the same.

don't bet on it as you have no The Citadel Men on your team and we are superior to all in EVERY WAY.

MaximumBobcat
February 25th, 2008, 06:14 PM
don't bet on it as you have no The Citadel Men on your team and we are superior to all in EVERY WAY.

how'd you manage to get beat then?

ucdtim17
February 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM

ha

Peems
February 25th, 2008, 11:43 PM

The Citadel didn't lose, they merely let lesser men feel what it is like to be victors for a day

citdog
February 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
The Citadel didn't lose, they merely let lesser men feel what it is like to be victors for a day

rep pts.

Truth is good.

slostang
February 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
rep pts.

Truth is good.

Not feeling so good lately?

citdog
February 27th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Not feeling so good lately?

i feel fine. just busy. thanks for your concern

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
this guy is funny, bet cal poly would beat the citadel

citdog
February 27th, 2008, 03:32 PM
this guy is funny, bet cal poly would beat the citadel

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

WITH YOUR SCHEDULE WE'D GO 11-0

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM
too bad most schools have 12 games?

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM
so you would go 11-1, and the last game would be cal poly and you would lose

citdog
February 27th, 2008, 03:48 PM
so you would go 11-1, and the last game would be cal poly and you would lose ERICAIDS YOU ARE AWARE THAT THE CITADEL PLAYS IN A REAL CONFERENCE CORRECT?

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I am aware armanti edwards rushed for 221 yards against them, yes. xcoffeex

citdog
February 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I am aware armanti edwards rushed for 221 yards against them, yes. xcoffeex

AND THAT IT WAS A 7PT GAME WHEN THE 4TH STARTED?

ericsaid
February 27th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Yes, but are you aware is was a 21 point game when it ended?

xviolinx

citdog
February 28th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Yes, but are you aware is was a 21 point game when it ended?

xviolinx

AND THAT DURAN LAWSON WAS HURT AND CADET BART BLANCHARD WAS MAKING HIS FIRST START?

leatherneck177
February 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Nice game.

Stang Fever
February 29th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I am already checking for flights and hotels!!! cant wait

slostang
February 29th, 2008, 04:51 PM
See you there Stang Fever. I also can't wait.