PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State at Youngstown State Predictions

FlyYtown
September 25th, 2005, 10:15 AM
This is a huge game for each team. Opening of the always tough Gateway Conferense Schedule. Youngstown State was embarrassed by Pitt 41-0 and Illinois State rolled over Murray State 42-0. Illinois State was in there game with Iowa State 32-21 as well; so we know they are good.

This game is at YSU Stambaugh Stadium; and they have been doing a solid marketing blitz to get fans to the stands for this game. It will be a nice crowd of around 16-17,000 I'd imagine.

Its always tough to win at the Ice Castle. I am hoping all the weaknesses we witnessed yesterday in Pittsburgh are solved and they play like they did in the first 3 games.

I think this will be extremely close. Illinois State scares me bigtime. This is a must-win for YSU.

I say YSU wins 24-21. That score can go either way though.

Go Penguins

windwalker
September 25th, 2005, 11:09 AM
ISU 34
YSU 21

youwouldno
September 25th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Who would have thought this game mattered? Well it does, big time. I like Ill St. in a close one.

Reed Rothchild
September 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Redbirds by 17 :nod:

igo4uni
September 25th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Illinois State wins by 3 in 4 overtimes.

peace

igo4uni

Killtoppers90
September 25th, 2005, 04:47 PM
YSU won't score! ISU by 24!

skinny_uncle
September 25th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Who would have thought this game mattered? Well it does, big time. I like Ill St. in a close one.
The loser probably has no chance of making the playoffs as a 7-4 record just won't cut it and neither team is likely to win 2 of 3 aginst the likes of SIU, WKU, and UNI in the Gateway. Illinois State has to face all 3 in October and should get a quick dose of reality. Youngstown will not have to play them until the last 3 weeks of the season.
SIU, WKU and UNI are still the cream of the Gateway but the rest, with the exception of Indiana State (the only team in the conference with a losing record at this point), are improving.
It should make for an interesting race.

PMB4Life
September 25th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I like Illinois State in this one. Let's see if they are indeed for real.

ISU 27
YSU 14

OrneryAggie
September 25th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Checking stats from the first 4 weeks Illinois St looks to be the clear favorite. Therefore smart bets are on YSU to do like the rest of IAA this season and pull the upset. :p

Paladin1aa
September 26th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Still early for a prediction. I want to see the two deeps before commenting.

On one hand , I want the Guins to win. On the other, if ILS should win, it will make letting Coach HicCup get canned real easy. Would love that.

Should be an even game, but who shows up healthy could be BIG.

Prediction coming up.

Hansel
September 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Prediction.. loser of this game doesn't make the playoffs.... but neither does the winner ;)

ISUMatt
September 26th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Prediction.. loser of this game doesn't make the playoffs.... but neither does the winner ;)

Nor does NDSU :p ;)
Odds on you're right though :mad:

igo4uni
September 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Nor does NDSU :p ;)

Zzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg gg!!!

:D

peace

igo4uni

Grande Rosso
September 26th, 2005, 04:55 PM
From what I can tell, they seem evenly matched.

I foresee lots of scoring:

ILS - 42
YSU - 40

ysubigred
September 26th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I've been impressed with ISU. I have the Red Birds as a sleeper that could easily knock off any of the GFC big three.

After I got home from Pitt I thought hard about what I seen. The coaching staff at YSU is really poor and should be ashamed of how they prepared the Guins for the Pitt game. Pitt is bigger, faster and stronger no doubt but not 41 points better.

YSU vs Pitt Guins 37-6 ISU

YSU vs NE Guins 17-14 YSU

FlyYtown
September 26th, 2005, 07:52 PM
If the Fans show to the game like It sounds like they will; the environment will be extra tough for Illinois State. If YSU fixed their major mistakes and small one's in PIT; they will be Mighty tough to beat Saturday.

This game will tell us who is the better of the pack and who has a better shot at playoffs.

GO PENGUINS!

GoGuins
September 27th, 2005, 08:58 AM
This is the national I-AA GAME OF THE WEEK as voted upon by over 27K this past Spring.

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=70555

I know you'll be there Ralph and welcome to the Ice Castle. It should be a good crowd and enjoy the pre-game tailgating and atmosphere. With Ohio State having a bye week and this being the GFC opener against a very good ISU team, there is no reason why the stadium shouldn't be packed.

When are you getting into town and where are you staying?

PMB4Life
September 27th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Too bad I'll be in Macomb watching UNI/WIU. Otherwise I'd watch this game for sure.

FL connection
September 27th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I was impressed by Ill St. defense in the EIU game. ISU over YSU. connection out!

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Both teams scored alot against each other last year. See no change this year. But it will be close as usual. Expect to see alot of Ill. transfer RB Mason and Kentucky transfer RB Gibson for YSU. Also YSU leading receiver Smith returns from injury and Purdue transfer WR Evans will see increased time.

We came out of Pitt healthy. I like our chances. Lets say ---

YSU 31-28

ISUMatt
September 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM
You will see a ton of IaSt transfer Brian Thompson and Michigan transfer Pierre Rembert runnig the ball behind our huge O-line. Laurent Robinson has been great at wideout and the Defense has been super stingy!!! Since all fans involved in ths game are picking their home schools, why shouldnt I??? Ill say...

Illinois State 27
Youngstown St 21

GoGuins
September 27th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Michigan transfer Pierre Rembert runnig the ball behind our huge O-line.

I know a lot about Rembert's abilities ;)

ISUMatt
September 27th, 2005, 11:25 AM
I know a lot about Rembert's abilities ;)

How so, you see him in HS??? If I remember right he didnt see much action @ Michigan

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2005, 11:47 AM
We aren't little either !! :p :p :nod: :nod:

http://www.ysu.edu/sports/football/roster.htm

GoGuins
September 27th, 2005, 12:05 PM
How so, you see him in HS??? If I remember right he didnt see much action @ Michigan

I saw him enough at Michigan, he got some carries here and there. When I see him in warm-ups I'll give a big "Go Blue" yell and see if he looks

GoGuins
September 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM

I saw him enough at Michigan, he got some carries here and there. When I see him in warm-ups I'll give a big "Go Blue" yell and see if he looks

Paladin-I think we are little compared to most. Looking at our starters for Sat we only avg 292 on the O-line

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Yep, just a bunch of "runts" around here. :p

Hey , Go. You hopped on the Fire Carr bandwagon yet ?? :D

ISUMatt
September 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM
we only avg 292 on the O-line

ONLY LOL thats pretty big in my book!!!

GoGuins
September 27th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hey , Go. You hopped on the Fire Carr bandwagon yet ?? :D

I got one leg on ready to jump on, I'll wait to see how they do against Sparty this Sat. If they start 2-3 after being picked to win the B10, someone whether it's Carr or an assistant will have to go, but the AD will never force 3 loss Loyd out.

ISUMatt
September 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM
We ONLY average 296... we have 1 guy at 274, hes tiny I guess!!! Brings down the whole average LOL

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2005, 02:38 PM
GoGuins -- I just saw a couple of predictions that Mich looses 4 or more this year. :p :p :p Go Bucks !! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Matt -- just a few guys "over" 300. :D Should make for an interesting "scrum" !!

ISUMatt
September 27th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Seriously has there been anticipation for YSU or ILS for a game like this in awhile. I know not in Normal!!! But our fans are still on the fence, if we lose to YSU, we can expect a less than full house for Homecoming vs WKU on 10/8... If we win, Tickets will be hard to come by... I guess thats how it goes when everyone hates the Head Coach... show me or get lost!!!

GoGuins
September 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM
GoGuins -- I just saw a couple of predictions that Mich looses 4 or more this year. :p :p :p Go Bucks !! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Matt -- just a few guys "over" 300. :D Should make for an interesting "scrum" !!

I'm sure the predictions where from OSU fans. Michigan is starting like OSU did last year. This Sat will be tougher than last. Big rivalry game. I have to say I like the way Manningham has stepped up. He should be ahead of Breaston right now who is having a subpar year so far. There still is the big one on 11/19.

As far as YSU-ISU, I don't remember a more anticipated game b/n the two in awhile. The '99 game (@ YSU) was a big one where YSU almost came back from 14 down late if I remember. Both teams made it to the semifinals that year. I went to Normal back in 2000 and that was a big game also with YSU barely pulling it out (Jeff Ryan injured). If YSU loses Sat, Coach Hiccup as you call him, should really start feeling the pressure. Strollo should start getting his list ready.

I'll say YSU will pull it out 34-31

Paladin1aa
September 27th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Go -- No less than Mark May on ESPN, among others. Revisions of predictions on Mich. are all over.

Manningham -- I saw so many of his H.S. games and he was a big time player even as a Soph. Totally destroyed Massillon single -handedly. He going to be potentially a great one.

Matt -- We just love when Denver comes to town with his cowboy boots and twang. More fun is made of him than any other GFC coach . We thumped him one year using a back-up QB who was an Option QB. His response -- "we could have stopped that if we knew about it ". O.K. coach !! :nod: :nod: If I have my way, Coach HicCup will be out the door this year and we will definitely be in the play-offs next year and maybe gunning for the GFC title as well.

YSU4
September 27th, 2005, 07:40 PM
who is the starter for ysu on the o line?

YSU4
September 27th, 2005, 08:23 PM
who is the starters for ysu on the o line?

DaBurds!!
September 28th, 2005, 08:45 AM
whoa!

blukeys
September 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM
The only thing I have to add is ILS hasn't lost at any game my sons have attended. My sons will be there Saturday.

Well Ralph if the trend continues I recommend you charge ILS for having your sons attend the games. ;) ;) I'm sure your rates would be reasonable. :rolleyes: There is probably some sort of funding that can offset the expense or perhaps some booster can foot the bill for ILS. (or will this run afoul of the NCAA?) :confused:

GoGuins
September 28th, 2005, 09:53 AM
The only thing I have to add is ILS hasn't lost at any game my sons have attended. My sons will be there Saturday.

There's a first time for everything :)

Paladin1aa
September 28th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Don't know what your kids like, Ralph , but there are numerous radio/tv tailgate spots just across the street from the stadium when you enter the tailgate lots that pass out free pizza( decent to very good) to fans. Most tailgaters welcome visitors & have a gourmet selection of eats.

If you are in the pressbox upstairs, the food there is unreal. If you can wiggle a pass to the Univ. President's reception ( just off the loges in a private banquet room), its a selection of French, Italian & Slovak items and Greek pastries .

If we treat the kids well, they may have a change of heart. ;)

DaBurds!!
September 28th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Ralph, those sound like a great bunch of kids to me! Let them know if they put their mystic powers of presence to work on Saturday I will be sure to donate to AGS and then maybe you could buy them a couple of ice creams on me "Uncle DaBurds!!" :hyped: :hyped:

GannonFan
September 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Don't know what your kids like, Ralph , but there are numerous radio/tv tailgate spots just across the street from the stadium when you enter the tailgate lots that pass out free pizza( decent to very good) to fans. Most tailgaters welcome visitors & have a gourmet selection of eats.

If you are in the pressbox upstairs, the food there is unreal. If you can wiggle a pass to the Univ. President's reception ( just off the loges in a private banquet room), its a selection of French, Italian & Slovak items and Greek pastries .

If we treat the kids well, they may have a change of heart. ;)

Gotta add that of all the places I've been to for games, Youngstown was easily one of the best and nicest places to go - even as a Hen fan. The people are all great, the tailgates, though I'm sure not up to McNeese or Southern standards, were very good, and the atmosphere was extremely good. If they can truly get back to their winning ways (I'm not convinced of that yet) it is only good for IAA - it's a great place to watch football.

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 02:59 PM
OFFICIALLY...

Oct-1 597 ILLINOIS STATE -7 -115
6:00 PM 598 YOUNGSTOWN STATE +7 -115

-For entertainment only ISUMatt does not nor does he encourage others to bet on NCAA Sporting events!!!

putter
September 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Pure speculation:

ISU - 28
YSU - 27

Home field advantage for YSU and a win on a blocked extra point for ISU!

ISUMatt
September 28th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Is this game televised in Youngstown Saturday?

Paladin1aa
September 29th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I believe its tape delay only, starting at 10:30 P.M.

GoGuins
September 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Gotta add that of all the places I've been to for games, Youngstown was easily one of the best and nicest places to go - even as a Hen fan. The people are all great, the tailgates, though I'm sure not up to McNeese or Southern standards, were very good, and the atmosphere was extremely good. If they can truly get back to their winning ways (I'm not convinced of that yet) it is only good for IAA - it's a great place to watch football.

Thanks for the kind words, if YSU-Delaware ever play again I definitely would travel to DE for the game. Since that was my home away from home for a year, I definitely know my way around the state

Paladin1aa
September 29th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Sports Network pick --

YSU 27 -- ILS 21

FlyYtown
September 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM
The good news about the Sports Network pick is that we are 3-0 when they pick us to win; lets hope it continues....
GO PENGUINS!