PDA

View Full Version : Big win for Georgia Southern

Kill'em
September 24th, 2005, 11:47 PM
While we are not good yet we made big strides tonight beating a much improved Chattanooga team... badly.
We were able to run the triple option to perfection for the first time all year. We limited our mental mistakes (i.e. turnovers-0 / penalties-4 ).The playcalling was better. The defense punished Chattanooga's offense all night. Big hit after big hit. Best of all, they came out with an attitude that nothing would stop them. I almost forgot about the kick coverage- wow! Most of Chattanooga's kick returns left them inside their own 20.

However, we still need to work on tackling... very poor :bang: Their lone TD came off a broken tackle. We stopped their Tailback for a loss but we didn't wrap him up and he broke loose for a long TD run :bang:

EagleCrusade
September 25th, 2005, 08:15 AM
You have to admit, their RB was real good. I mean, he lept over a LB

catamount man
September 25th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Good win eagles. Good luck, except in 2 weeks! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Kill'em
September 25th, 2005, 02:19 PM
You have to admit, their RB was real good. I mean, he lept over a LB
Yeah it was a nifty move but our DB dove for his feet, not his legs. He lowered the degree of difficulty :D I did get a kick out of it. It looked like he was hurdling.

winstoneagle
September 26th, 2005, 06:42 AM
our pass rush (or lack of it) still concerns me, we dont have one. we need to beat Elon convincingly, and then take care of a good WCU team.

Kill'em
September 26th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I do agree with that, and our inability to cover receivers. They are finding soft spots in our zone and it's killing us. Those third down conversions still eat our lunch. If we can't force these guys to punt then we're doomed.

EagleCrusade
September 26th, 2005, 09:11 AM
I think we'll be ok. Right now the losses to Charrod "Big Swole" Taylor and Solomon are huge. It weakens an already weakened and inexperienced DL. Remember that every member of the 2005 DL did not start last season. It's a whole new ball game. Sure they played in some games, but they were not used to playing almost every snap and maintaining the needed intensity in order to win. I still believe as the season progresses they will improve. (If i quit believing that....well...)

Funny note, there was this older gentleman and his wife sitting up high in section K next to the student section. Poor guy must've bought his tickets on the internet because he was decked out in UTC gear. As kickoff neared and the entire student section rose to their feet he figured out he was in the wrong place and moved to another area. I dont really care if none of you think this wasnt funny, I sure did and I laughed.

Kill'em
September 26th, 2005, 03:13 PM
I sit at the top of Section K. I figured he moved because my kids were busting his eardrums :D

Umass74
September 26th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Chatty is dead last (#116) in total defense in I-AA.

NCAA Total Defense Stats (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?div=5&rpt=IAA_teamtotdef&site=org)

EagleCrusade
September 27th, 2005, 10:06 AM
Elon is #14.

I see where you're going with this and I don't like it. Please, simmer down.
Elon has played very poor teams, UTC has played some decent squads. Therefore those early season numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt.