PDA

View Full Version : LSU fans not worried about Appalachian State

JohnStOnge
February 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Found this while I was looking for information on Perrilloux:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AlgKYd8MxkmsRKoZADMSggyQ1LYF?slug=uwire-lsufansnotworriedaboutopen&prov=uwire&type=lgns

I thought App State fans might like this quote from LSU "senior associate athletic director" Verge Ausberry:

"'It was just too late to get a BCS game,' Ausberry said. 'Those schedules get made years in advance. We've got Colorado in 2011, and Arizona State is on the upcoming schedule too. But Appalachian State has a lot of momentum, and a lot of people are scared to play them."'

Appguy
February 19th, 2008, 07:24 PM
sounds familiar
aka every michigan board

BearsCountry
February 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM
LSU isnt Michigan though.

catamount man
February 19th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I would almost be tempted to join the YOSEF CLUB if App pulls the upset in Baton Rouge. ALMOST. ;) xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Bluehenfan08
February 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I don't think LSU should be to worried. I may be a good game, but i would not be worried too. I think LSU is a little bit better then Michigan at this point.

furman94
February 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
If App beats LSU, my Avatar will change to an ASU helmet for a month!

JohnStOnge
February 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I don't think LSU should be to worried. I may be a good game, but i would not be worried too. I think LSU is a little bit better then Michigan at this point.

Except they really may be breaking in a quarterback without significant game experience. I think they should still be in good shape. They are absolutely loaded at running back and NFLDrafScout.com projects that they'll have 9 players taken in the 2009 NFL draft. They should be able to just get physical on offense with App State and win that way. And I really do think the "they snuck up on Michigan but won't sneak up on LSU" angle has some merit.

But the QB situation does hold the potential for increasing App's chances.

ASUMountaineer
February 19th, 2008, 08:08 PM
After being at Michigan and watching that game, I will always think Appalachian (or any team for that matter--even Cullowhee High School) has a chance.

appst97
February 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
If App beats LSU, my Avatar will change to an ASU helmet for a month!

How about for the month of October?

slycat
February 19th, 2008, 08:21 PM
since the game is already getting coverage i wonder if espn will pick it up

tke504oa
February 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Yes they are not UM but that does not matter. App's starters can play with anyone in the country. The reason App beat UM was because the starters were kept fresh most of the game. There was a little let down in the 2nd half but heart pulled out the win. With the heart of this team and AE on the field App can beat anyone. If LSU's students are talking that App has no chance that means LSU players are hearing it everyday. I hope they keep saying it over and over. I hope every LSU player hears it in every class all over campus. I hope they read all news articles. Then I will sit in their stands and watch them fall just like I did at the big house.

AlphaSigMD
February 19th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I posted this up on an LSU message board a little while back to try to give present a rational view of ASU's side...but they probably thought I was smacking them/trolling...

First off, I guess I'm getting into this conversation a little late. After reading a few pages of this post, I believe that the title of this thread is a little misleading.

As a preface, I have nothing but respect for LSU. I'll admit that when I followed LSU and ASU's 2007 season, I could draw many parallels. Both ASU and LSU won a game early on last year, in stunning fashion, that raised the bar on the year's expectations. (ASU - Michigan; LSU- Va Tech). Both teams quickly established themselves as the team to beat in their respective Subdivision. Both teams dealt with the adversity of losing close games to 2 teams that neither had any business losing to (ASU to Wofford and GSU; LSU to Kentucky and Arkansas). Both teams exorcised the demons of on-field injuries to convincingly win their Subdivision's national championship.

So we are really not so different, in theory.

LSU is a strong program with a rich heritage and a history of success. ASU is a strong program that is experiencing a level of success at our level that is unmatched by any team in history. (If you have forgotten, Boise St, Marshall, South Florida and several others in your Subdivision have all been at our level and have never gotten close to playing at our current level) What is even more amazing is that ASU has accomplished its success without one of the largest pools of football talent in the country in our backyard. We have to search far and wide for talent that may go unnoticed by the larger programs and cultivate these players into winners.

So why all the talk of talking S**t? Is any of the previous statement S**t?

Speaking as a lifelong ASU fan and a 2nd Generation Alumni who watched the ASU-Michigan game from the front row, I honestly don't think that ANY true ASU fan believes that ASU "WILL" Win this game. However, I do believe that EVERY true ASU fan believes that we "Have the Opportunity" to win this game. This, my friends, is not S**t. It's pride, honesty and a true understanding of what it means to call yourself a Mountaineer. I don't expect your to understand that, but I'll try to explain. Even in North Carolina, ASU often plays the role of the forgotten little brother. Some, if not most, believe it to be an inferior institution to Duke, UNC and the other major players. Those of us who have benefitted from our education understand that this is far from the truth. Far from having a negative effect, this overall climate has done nothing but foster the family-like atmosphere at ASU and encourage the tight-knit bonds between ASU's students and alumni. We are a proud and distinguished fanbase and find no higher honor than being able to call ourselves a Mountaineer.

So here's to a great game on August 30th. LSU will not be able to sit its starters after the 1st quarter or even halftime. ASU respects LSU and values the opportunity to play on your field. We will certainly give you all that you ask for in a game, and will play you hard until the last second. Perhaps you do not respect us now, but come August 30th, win or lose, you will know that we are a good team that will never back down and will always leave everything except our pride on the field.

GannonFan
February 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Appy St beat Michigan because Michigan was completely unable to contain the spread offense. That point was rammed home the following week when Oregon came into the Big House and blew out Michigan, and in much more convincing fashion than Appy St.

LSU, on the other hand, has seen and beaten plenty of good spread offenses, including better ones that Appy St's, so they're not going to be shocked out there. Scoring is going to be a problem for Appy St - heck, the first time they score down there will be the first time. Throw in the fact that this will be LSU's first game (very few teams actually look past the season opener), the Michigan history will be repeated ad naseum, and there will be some people saying that Appy St has a real chance to win, and LSU will be plenty motivated. But again, the main difference will be that Michigan absolutely stunk last year against spread offenses while LSU has consistently beaten those types of offenses.

Of course, any given Saturday, but a win over LSU on that Saturday later this fall will make the Michigan game look like an intrasquad scrimmage in terms of impressiveness.

AlphaSigMD
February 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Appy St beat Michigan because Michigan was completely unable to contain the spread offense. That point was rammed home the following week when Oregon came into the Big House and blew out Michigan, and in much more convincing fashion than Appy St.

LSU, on the other hand, has seen and beaten plenty of good spread offenses, including better ones that Appy St's, so they're not going to be shocked out there. Scoring is going to be a problem for Appy St - heck, the first time they score down there will be the first time. Throw in the fact that this will be LSU's first game (very few teams actually look past the season opener), the Michigan history will be repeated ad naseum, and there will be some people saying that Appy St has a real chance to win, and LSU will be plenty motivated. But again, the main difference will be that Michigan absolutely stunk last year against spread offenses while LSU has consistently beaten those types of offenses.

Of course, any given Saturday, but a win over LSU on that Saturday later this fall will make the Michigan game look like an intrasquad scrimmage in terms of impressiveness.

If ASU wins it will be another big story that is completely endorsed by ASU fans.

To everyone else, it would once again be chalked up to a myriad of other excuses. LSU was unprepared, LSU lost too many players in the draft, LSU lost RP to his own stupidity, LSU is not nearly as good as they were last year, LSU got screwed by the refs...and on and on and on.

ASU88
February 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Who's backing up Perrilloux, anyway?

'Cause that kid looks to be in SERIOUS trouble.

Stang Fever
February 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
since the game is already getting coverage i wonder if espn will pick it up

They should, because for the first time you are going to have two DIV I champs playing each other

Eyes of Old Main
February 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Both teams dealt with the adversity of losing close games to 2 teams that neither had any business losing to (ASU to Wofford and GSU; LSU to Kentucky and Arkansas).

A great post totally discredited by one misplaced sentence.

LSU and Appalachian lost those games because they overestimated their competition and didn't play their best football. All wins must be earned and neither team earned those wins. Maybe overall the winning teams in those games weren't as good, but that doesn't mean neither had any business losing to them.

Football is played on the field (and at our level champions are crowned on the field) and those days, Appalachian and LSU didn't get it done on the field.

Appinator
February 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM

LSU and Appalachian lost those games because they overestimated their competition and didn't play their best football. All wins must be earned and neither team earned those wins. Maybe overall the winning teams in those games weren't as good, but that doesn't mean neither had any business losing to them.

Football is played on the field (and at our level champions are crowned on the field) and those days, Appalachian and LSU didn't get it done on the field.

I think you meant that we underestimated you, but you are completely right in any instance. I watched that game from kickoff to 0:00, and we just plain got beat up by the more physical team that day when we played WC.

JDC325
February 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
The worst thing about App vs LSU is that App beat UM last year. The fanatics of LSU can downplay it all they want but the players and ESPICIALLY the coaches are not going to take App lightly. IF App beats LSU, even though I hate App .... A LOT, I will change my avatar to an App helmet as well out of pure respect for the accomplishment. It will make our win against you that much better anyway! xthumbsupx

AlphaSigMD
February 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM

I meant no offense to Wofford in particular. Perhaps "no business" has too negative a phrase to turn, but my rhetoric was running thick at that point in time. While the ASU loss to Wofford was not an a humiliation, it certainly struck a blow and ended our winning streak/perfect season. Also, it was unexpected, similar to the losses by LSU. In addition, we both had opportunities to win those games in the closing minutes of play, and did not take advantage of what the game allowed. We lost on our own accord, and thats our fault, another similarity.

The meaning was to draw a parallel between LSU and ASU (one that I believe is valid) not to discredit your win against us last year. I am sorry that you interpreted in that fashion.

poly51
February 19th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Quote-"The game will be the first-ever meeting between two defending national champions in two different subdivisions in college football history. But the credentials of the Mountaineers, who shocked the sports world with an upset of Michigan to open the 2007 season, do not impress many LSU supporters".

This statement in the article is not true. In 1981 defending I-AA champion Boise State beat defending D-II National champion Cal Poly 17-6 at Boise.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 19th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Well, Michigan did beat Illinois and Florida (two spread O teams), and Illinois did get into a major bowl game last year. I don't know if you are giving ASU enough credit. I don't think they would have been a shoo-in to win the Big X by any means, but I would put Armanti Edwards up against any spread QB in the country (minus Tim Tebow), Kevin Richardson up against half of the RB's in the FBS, and Dexter Jackson (in his performance in the UM game at least) up against a majority of FBS receivers. I think ASU's offense being flat-out powerful had a good bit to do with the win.

But I agree that it will be harder for them to beat LSU because they will have the speed to match ASU and will have a better defense.

neersnbeers
February 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Quote-"The game will be the first-ever meeting between two defending national champions in two different subdivisions in college football history. But the credentials of the Mountaineers, who shocked the sports world with an upset of Michigan to open the 2007 season, do not impress many LSU supporters".

This statement in the article is not true. In 1981 defending I-AA champion Boise State beat defending D-II National champion Cal Poly 17-6 at Boise.

Subdivisions is the key word.

GannonFan
February 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Well, Michigan did beat Illinois and Florida (two spread O teams), and Illinois did get into a major bowl game last year. I don't know if you are giving ASU enough credit. I don't think they would have been a shoo-in to win the Big X by any means, but I would put Armanti Edwards up against any spread QB in the country (minus Tim Tebow), Kevin Richardson up against half of the RB's in the FBS, and Dexter Jackson (in his performance in the UM game at least) up against a majority of FBS receivers. I think ASU's offense being flat-out powerful had a good bit to do with the win.

But I agree that it will be harder for them to beat LSU because they will have the speed to match ASU and will have a better defense.

Eh, I think Illinois was overrated last year and while Michigan beat Florida, they didn't really do it with dominating defense - they still gave up 35 points and 400 yards of offense. Michigan beat Florida with their offense.

I think you're also forgetting about Dennis Dixon from Oregon when talking about spread QB's. I like Edwards, but Dixon has a much better arm. Woodson is also a pretty decent QB.

AppGrad06
February 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM

except against Tim Tebow and the Gators.

rudy1648
February 20th, 2008, 08:50 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AlgKYd8MxkmsRKoZADMSggyQ1LYF?slug=uwire-lsufansnotworriedaboutopen&prov=uwire&type=lgns

I thought App State fans might like this quote from LSU "senior associate athletic director" Verge Ausberry:

"'It was just too late to get a BCS game,' Ausberry said. 'Those schedules get made years in advance. We've got Colorado in 2011, and Arizona State is on the upcoming schedule too. But Appalachian State has a lot of momentum, and a lot of people are scared to play them."'

Wondering why this thread is allowed to be on the FCS board, when a topic I started about the LSU QB was taken off. The MOD said it had nothing to do with FCS football and asked me to move it. When I as well as others said we disagreed, the thread was moved to "Other Sport" section by the MOD. Seems like a double standard to me.

813Jag
February 20th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I don't think fans of either team should be worried. It's not like they have to play. That's the best part of being a fan you can have any attitude you want to and it won't impact the game.

BTW Tebow hit Michigan for 35 points.

McNeese_beat
February 20th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I remember a couple of years back when App State played a respectable game against LSU (something like 24-0) Jacob Hester made the comment that App was about the 5th or 6th best team on their schedule...

So I think the familiarity LSU has with App, on top of the national titles, on top of the Michigan game, will mean App has LSU's full attention.

McNeese75
February 20th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I remember a couple of years back when App State played a respectable game against LSU (something like 24-0) Jacob Hester made the comment that App was about the 5th or 6th best team on their schedule...

So I think the familiarity LSU has with App, on top of the national titles, on top of the Michigan game, will mean App has LSU's full attention.

I have to agree. I think Miles will take note of what the result was for Carr after the loss last year and will make sure business is taken care of.

mlbowl
February 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I don't think fans of either team should be worried. It's not like they have to play. That's the best part of being a fan you can have any attitude you want to and it won't impact the game.

True that.xnodx

phillyAPP
February 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I agree that the coaches will have full attention BUT we all know how cocky college kids get. I think the LSU football players will not take the game serious until the end of the first quarter.

Think about the 6 months of talk about D-II (lol) APP STATE comments that they have to shrugg-off. They will get tired and numb to APP as a real threat. They already think their first 3 games are cruises and tune ups for the real season.

As far as APP winning, I like to think that we play to WIN every game and we will see what happens. LSU is the favorite for good reasons but "Any Given Saturday" .

bench
February 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Hubris and humility, my friend. The Football Gods hate hubris, and they reward humility. It doesn't matter if you step onto the field or not.

Of course I can't prove there's a link, but the anecdotal evidence includes Michigan on both sides of the coin, in their season opener and in their bowl game, respectively. Patriots players were inviting the Giants to their victory party before and during the game. You don't taunt the gods.

CID1990
February 20th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I predicted ASU would beat Michigan last year. I am not picking them over LSU as much as I would like to. ASU is not going to sneak up on LSU, period. As far as LSU will be concerned they will be playing Auburn or Florida. Count on that.

That being said, it will be a good game with a lot of "if we had only done this or thats", but in the end LSU will win by 14-21 points.

813Jag
February 20th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hubris and humility, my friend. The Football Gods hate hubris, and they reward humility. It doesn't matter if you step onto the field or not.

Of course I can't prove there's a link, but the anecdotal evidence includes Michigan on both sides of the coin, in their season opener and in their bowl game, respectively. Patriots players were inviting the Giants to their victory party before and during the game. You don't taunt the gods.
If that's the case, my team should not have lost a game, because I do very little if any trash talking or bragging. I've seen it from both sides, games where I was confident my team would win they lost and games where I thought they had little to no shot they won. So who knows? xconfusedx

I agree to an extent, because there's no way any player should be talking before a game. Fans on the other hand, it doesn't really matter.

I know both teams will be ready because they both have coaches that won't allow their team to step on that field overconfident.

Thinking otherwise is kind of like hoping something will happen.

CID1990
February 20th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Also, Coach Moore might be well advised to take Armanti out of the game as soon as it looks unwinnable.

813Jag
February 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I agree that the coaches will have full attention BUT we all know how cocky college kids get. I think the LSU football players will not take the game serious until the end of the first quarter.

Think about the 6 months of talk about D-II (lol) APP STATE comments that they have to shrugg-off. They will get tired and numb to APP as a real threat. They already think their first 3 games are cruises and tune ups for the real season.

As far as APP winning, I like to think that we play to WIN every game and we will see what happens. LSU is the favorite for good reasons but "Any Given Saturday" .
There's always a case for a team to be cocky, but I don't think this will be the case. This should be a game that LSU needs to focus on. I'm sure people told them all summer about opening up at Mississippi St (who hasn't beaten them in quite a while, especially with a game with Va Tech looming) they went out and took care of business.

The same thing applies to APP, after the Michigan game they could have let their guard down but they didn't.

In the end it all boils down to leadership and coaching. I'm willing to bet that both teams will be ready. This game won't be won by either side because the other team wasn't ready.

SideLine Shooter
February 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Why should LSU be worried about App. State?

lizrdgizrd
February 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Is this a gimme game for ASU? No. xsmhx
Will we beat LSU? Dunno. xchinscratchx
Can we beat LSU? Yes. xnodx

mountain_man
February 20th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Is this a gimme game for ASU? No. xsmhx
Will we beat LSU? Dunno. xchinscratchx
Can we beat LSU? Yes. xnodx

Best post in this thread! Simple and true.xthumbsupx

Black Saturday
February 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM

I agree with everything except for the last half of your last sentence. I hope ASU will have the speed to match that of LSU. Yes, APP has speed but probably not like that of LSU's.

Appguy
February 20th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Theyl have better defensive backs than us anyway, 4 new starters for us

APPdopted
February 20th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Theyl have better defensive backs than us anyway, 4 new starters for us

They'll be breaking in some newbies in the secondary as well.

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Yes they are not UM but that does not matter. App's starters can play with anyone in the country. The reason App beat UM was because the starters were kept fresh most of the game. There was a little let down in the 2nd half but heart pulled out the win. With the heart of this team and AE on the field App can beat anyone. If LSU's students are talking that App has no chance that means LSU players are hearing it everyday. I hope they keep saying it over and over. I hope every LSU player hears it in every class all over campus. I hope they read all news articles. Then I will sit in their stands and watch them fall just like I did at the big house.

Thats a ridiculous blanket statement to say "App's starters can play with anyone in the country." Michigan wasn't a top 5, top 10, even top 15 team. With a top 5 team from last season, LSU, GA, USC, Ohio St, it would be a stretch to say ASU's starters could have played them even. Did you see all those other teams play? All of them were a notch or 2 above Michigan. For the top teams 08', likely (in no particular order, GA, FLA, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TX, USC, etc), it would be ridiculous to say ASU's starters could play with any of them unless you were familiar with all of those teams likely starting personnel. These are teams with out of 100+ guys on their rosters (including the incoming freshman), probably in the ballpark of 30-40 drafted and making NFL teams in the next 4-5 years.

Same goes for ASU next season vs LSU or anyone else in the top 10. LSU won't be quite as good as they were last season, but ASU might not be either. Even if they are, LSU isn't just going to show up totally overlooking ASU expecting a total cakewalk like Michigan did last season. As stunning as last year's upset was, ASU upsetting LSU would be even more so. If Michigan last season would have beaten ASU 9 times out of 10, ASU got that 1 out of 10 on that day for the greatest I-AA upset of a I-A ever. Under these 08' circumstances LSU would win 99 times out of 100. I'm hoping ASU get their 1 out of a 100 game. That would make the ASU @ JMU game 3 weeks later even that much bigger.

The Moody1
February 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Thats a ridiculous blanket statement to say "App's starters can play with anyone in the country." Michigan wasn't a top 5, top 10, even top 15 team. With a top 5 team from last season, LSU, GA, USC, Ohio St, it would be a stretch to say ASU's starters could have played them even. Did you see all those other teams play? All of them were a notch or 2 above Michigan. For the top teams 08', likely (in no particular order, GA, FLA, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TX, USC, it would be ridiculous to say ASU's starters could play with any of them unless you were familiar with all of those teams likely starting personnel. These are teams with out of 100+ guys on their rosters (including the incoming freshman), probably in the ballpark of 30-40 drafted and making NFL teams in the next 4-5 years.

Same goes for ASU next season vs LSU or anyone else in the top 10. LSU won't be quite as good as they were last season, but ASU might not be either. Even if they are, LSU isn't just going to show up totally overlooking ASU expecting a total cakewalk like Michigan did last season. As stunning as last year's upset was, ASU upsetting LSU would be even more so. If Michigan last season would have beaten ASU 9 times out of 10, ASU got that 1 out of 10 on that day for the greatest I-AA upset of a I-A ever. Under these 08' circumstances LSU would win 99 times out of 100. I'm hoping ASU get their 1 out of a 100 game. That would make the ASU @ JMU game 3 weeks later even that much bigger.

Hopefully, if it comes down to a last second field goal to win the game we won't fumble. xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hopefully, if it comes down to a last second field goal to win the game we won't fumble. xsmiley_wix

If ASU starters could play with anyone (I-A) in the country then they should have handled JMU if not blown them off the field.

My point is if you put up LSU starters or any of the top 5-10 I-A teams and compared them to ASU's you're not going to say, yep, the starters from both teams match up pretty even.

It would take a combination of factors for ASU to even have a chance to pull the upset:
-LSU showing up totally mentally unprepared like it was going to be a cakewalk.
-Numerous LSU turnover and penalties.
-ASU as a team being totally focused and playing their best game of the year with little penalties, no turnovers.
-Maybe a little divine intervention, like blocking a couple field goals, including a last minute one, or LSU fumbling right before scoring the go ahead field goal or TD with under a minute left...xsmiley_wix

Black Saturday
February 20th, 2008, 03:41 PM
If ASU starters could play with anyone (I-A) in the country then they should have handled JMU if not blown them off the field.
My point is if you put up LSU starters or any of the top 5-10 I-A teams and compared them to ASU's you're not going to say, yep, the starters from both teams match up pretty even.

It would take a combination of factors for ASU to even have a chance to pull the upset:
-ASU as a team being totally focused and playing their best game of the year with little penalties, no turnovers.
-Maybe a little divine intervention, like blocking a couple field goals, including a last minute one, or LSU fumbling right before scoring the go ahead field goal or TD with under a minute left...xsmiley_wix

I don't think you are giving JMU enough credit. IMO, JMU had the best APP played in I-AA during '07 season. And for that matter probably will so in '08.xthumbsupx

AppStFan76
February 20th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I don't think you are giving JMU enough credit. IMO, JMU had the best APP played in I-AA during '07 season. And for that matter probably will so in '08.xthumbsupx

I remember listening to the pre-game V/S JMU on ISP and their head coach in his interview said that in his opinion who ever won that game would go on to win the NC. And what cha know he was right!xlolx xlolx xlolx

AppGrad06
February 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM

I don't think you are giving JMU enough credit either. JMU came up with a masterful game plan specifically designed for going up against the spread-O. There are 2 ways to beat a well executed spread offense: Beat them at their own game by putting up big numbers (Michigan v. Florida) or controlling the ball/clock and keeping their offense off the field. JMU opted for the later and if it hadn't been for a last minute turnover it would have paid huge dividends.

james_lawfirm
February 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Thats a ridiculous blanket statement to say "App's starters can play with anyone in the country." Michigan wasn't a top 5, top 10, even top 15 team. With a top 5 team from last season, LSU, GA, USC, Ohio St, it would be a stretch to say ASU's starters could have played them even. Did you see all those other teams play? All of them were a notch or 2 above Michigan. For the top teams 08', likely (in no particular order, GA, FLA, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, TX, USC, etc), it would be ridiculous to say ASU's starters could play with any of them unless you were familiar with all of those teams likely starting personnel. These are teams with out of 100+ guys on their rosters (including the incoming freshman), probably in the ballpark of 30-40 drafted and making NFL teams in the next 4-5 years.

BDKJMU:

I disagree with you on some fine points.

1) Actually, Michigan was ranked #5 in the AP on Sept. 1, 2007 and #12 at the season's end. Maybe they did not deserve it in your mind, but as those things are measured (off the field) they had those rankings.

2) Michigan would lose more than 1 of every 10 games played to ASU, given last year's teams & coaches. This was more fundamental that just "they weren't prepared." How do you prepare for speed if you don't have it? It was more of a size vs. speed factor. Michigan had the size & App the speed. Speed kills. Michigan lost to Oregon, another fast team in the next game.

3) I think almost everyone on AGS gives far too much weight to being "overlooked" by an FBS team as a factor in the competitiveness of the game. By the time the teams line up on the field, it's dang hard to overlook that 250 lb. linebacker that's blitzing up the middle or that speedster that just caught a pass & blew past your DBs. I don't think Georgia overlooked GaSo last year either, but that was a seriously close game (or was that 2006?).

4) It seems to me that LSU matches up well with ASU, unlike Michigan. It could be a long day in the Bayou for the Mountaineers. Both have speed at the important positions. I think the game will be far closer than the LSU fans seem to expect, but in the end the Tigers will win by a couple of TDs.

Grabholdofyosef
February 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
LSU isnt Michigan though.
Michigan fans said they werent like any other FBS school we had played.

08Dawg
February 20th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I also think it's going to be a bit of a pride thing. Think on this...for all the success this year's Michigan team had, including beating Heisman-winner Tebow and a very good Florida team, they will nonetheless always be the #5 FBS team that had a quote/unquote dinky no-name FCS team come into their home stadium, in front of a 100,000 of their own fans, and lost the game. Wherever these Michigan players go in life, and despite whatever future successes they might have in the pros or in life in general, when they think back on their college careers, App hanging an L on them is going to be a perpetual monkey hanging on their back that is impossible to get rid of. LSU's players saw all the crap that got heaped on Mich after they lost, and they will NOT be willing to go through the same experience. They will be playing to prove that point, that they are better than Michigan, to prove (the admittedly a jack@$$) Kirk Herbstreit's statement that App has no business playing them. I think all this will be on their collective minds in some form or another.

Do I think App will win? No.

But I hope they do....

jmu_duke07
February 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Michigan fans said they werent like any other FBS school we had played.

Thats because the big 10 is a joke of a conference. They get to much hype because most of the talking heads had either gone to those schools, or are from that area.... they are a mediocre conference at best.

phillyAPP
February 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM

My early opinion is APP is even better this year. It is scary to think about it. Our D-line was average at best 2007. 2005 & 2006 we won with pressure on the QB. In 2008, APP will have 7-9 D-Linemen who can all start. Vanderbelt transfer that people say in practice was unbelievable. Linebackers are strong,fast, and ready to hit. Secondary is a question but most of the players played in every game and have the talent to cover.

Offense is ALL Armanti. We will be as good or better. 6'5" reciever with fast feet and a 6'3" athletic TE coming in. We didn't even throw at TE until Richmond game. AE will have more weapons. RB is as good as richardson and even looks like him running.

We will see. I am excited and can't wait to go to LSU and Hopefully JMU.

parr90
February 20th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I posted this up on an LSU message board a little while back to try to give present a rational view of ASU's side...but they probably thought I was smacking them/trolling...

First off, I guess I'm getting into this conversation a little late. After reading a few pages of this post, I believe that the title of this thread is a little misleading.

As a preface, I have nothing but respect for LSU. I'll admit that when I followed LSU and ASU's 2007 season, I could draw many parallels. Both ASU and LSU won a game early on last year, in stunning fashion, that raised the bar on the year's expectations. (ASU - Michigan; LSU- Va Tech). Both teams quickly established themselves as the team to beat in their respective Subdivision. Both teams dealt with the adversity of losing close games to 2 teams that neither had any business losing to (ASU to Wofford and GSU; LSU to Kentucky and Arkansas). Both teams exorcised the demons of on-field injuries to convincingly win their Subdivision's national championship.

LSU is a strong program with a rich heritage and a history of success. ASU is a strong program that is experiencing a level of success at our level that is unmatched by any team in history. (If you have forgotten, Boise St, Marshall, South Florida and several others in your Subdivision have all been at our level and have never gotten close to playing at our current level) What is even more amazing is that ASU has accomplished its success without one of the largest pools of football talent in the country in our backyard. We have to search far and wide for talent that may go unnoticed by the larger programs and cultivate these players into winners.

Speaking as a lifelong ASU fan and a 2nd Generation Alumni who watched the ASU-Michigan game from the front row, I honestly don't think that ANY true ASU fan believes that ASU "WILL" Win this game. However, I do believe that EVERY true ASU fan believes that we "Have the Opportunity" to win this game. This, my friends, is not S**t. It's pride, honesty and a true understanding of what it means to call yourself a Mountaineer. I don't expect your to understand that, but I'll try to explain. Even in North Carolina, ASU often plays the role of the forgotten little brother. Some, if not most, believe it to be an inferior institution to Duke, UNC and the other major players. Those of us who have benefitted from our education understand that this is far from the truth. Far from having a negative effect, this overall climate has done nothing but foster the family-like atmosphere at ASU and encourage the tight-knit bonds between ASU's students and alumni. We are a proud and distinguished fanbase and find no higher honor than being able to call ourselves a Mountaineer.

So here's to a great game on August 30th. LSU will not be able to sit its starters after the 1st quarter or even halftime. ASU respects LSU and values the opportunity to play on your field. We will certainly give you all that you ask for in a game, and will play you hard until the last second. Perhaps you do not respect us now, but come August 30th, win or lose, you will know that we are a good team that will never back down and will always leave everything except our pride on the field.

You got to be kidding. 3 in a row is very impressive but it is your only three ever and to say no one has matched you level of success is rediculous. GSU has played for it 8 times and won it back to back 3 times. Won it 6 times in a 20 year period in which a team was started from scratch. Your team is doing very well and they deserve kudos but LSU doesnt care about your success in FCS. They should but they dont. They wont have the respect for App that it deserves but they wont overlook either because of what happend to UM. They will be more prepared than UM.

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
BDKJMU:

I disagree with you on some fine points.

1) Actually, Michigan was ranked #5 in the AP on Sept. 1, 2007 and #12 at the season's end. Maybe they did not deserve it in your mind, but as those things are measured (off the field) they had those rankings.

2) Michigan would lose more than 1 of every 10 games played to ASU, given last year's teams & coaches. This was more fundamental that just "they weren't prepared." How do you prepare for speed if you don't have it? It was more of a size vs. speed factor. Michigan had the size & App the speed. Speed kills. Michigan lost to Oregon, another fast team in the next game.

3) I think almost everyone on AGS gives far too much weight to being "overlooked" by an FBS team as a factor in the competitiveness of the game. By the time the teams line up on the field, it's dang hard to overlook that 250 lb. linebacker that's blitzing up the middle or that speedster that just caught a pass & blew past your DBs. I don't think Georgia overlooked GaSo last year either, but that was a seriously close game (or was that 2006?).

4) It seems to me that LSU matches up well with ASU, unlike Michigan. It could be a long day in the Bayou for the Mountaineers. Both have speed at the important positions. I think the game will be far closer than the LSU fans seem to expect, but in the end the Tigers will win by a couple of TDs.

Check your facts. Michigan was UNRANKED going into their bowl game with UF.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex?seasonYear=2007&weekNumber=15&seasonType=2
They ended up being ranked 18th and 19th in both final major polls:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex?seasonYear=2007&weekNumber=1&seasonType=3

Where in the world are you getting #12 from?

As far as the beginning of the season with Michigan being ranked #5, it was obvious they were one of the most over ranked pre seasoned ranked I-A last year, along with Louisville and Cal, both of whom were top 15 in both polls preseason polls and finished unranked, and UCLA & Nebraska, who were ranked between #14 & #20 in both polls and finished with losing records.

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 06:41 PM

You might want to do a little research. You state "ASU is a strong program that is experiencing a level of success at our level that is unmatched by any team in history. (If you have forgotten, Boise St, Marshall, South Florida and several others in your Subdivision have all been at our level and have never gotten close to playing at our current level)" Baloney. Try doing a little research. Neither ASU or anyone else comes close to what GSU has done. Here's how I would rank past runs:
1. GSU 85'-00' 16 seasons, 8 title games, 6 titles. Included was a 6 season stretch from 85'-90' with 5 title games, 4 titles, and a 3 season stretch 98'-00' with 3 title games, 2 titles. xbowx xbowx xbowx
2. YSU: 91'-97' 7 seasons, 5 title games, including 3 straight, 3 titles
3. ASU 05'07' 3 straight title games, 3 titles
4. Marshall 91-96' 6 seasons, 5 title games, 2 titles
5. EKU 79'-82': 4 straight title games, 2 titles
6. Montana 95'-04' 10 seasons, 5 title games, 2 titles

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82976

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
You got to be kidding. 3 in a row is very impressive but it is your only three ever and to say no one has matched you level of success is rediculous. GSU has played for it 8 times and won it back to back 3 times. Won it 6 times in a 20 year period in which a team was started from scratch. Your team is doing very well and they deserve kudos but LSU doesnt care about your success in FCS. They should but they dont. They wont have the respect for App that it deserves but they wont overlook either because of what happend to UM. They will be more prepared than UM.

Actually was even more impressive than that. Was 8 title games and 6 titles in 16 seasons 85'-00'.

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM

My whole point was in reagrds to what the other ASU poster stated, that ASU's starters could hang with "anyone" in the country, that would mean top 5-10 I-A teams. If that WAS true then ASU would be so good that they should have easily handled JMU. My point is that his statement about ASU starters being able to hang with ANYONE in the country isn't true.

I was doing an exaggerated facetious slighting of JMU in their game vs ASU to make a point.xsmiley_wix

Mountain Panther
February 20th, 2008, 07:23 PM

If LSU returns a lot of starter they shouldn't be scared to play anyone.

And Michigan DID NOT win a NC the year before they played App.

Go ASU!

JohnStOnge
February 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Who's backing up Perrilloux, anyway?

'Cause that kid looks to be in SERIOUS trouble.

As of right now, it'd be Andrew Hatch. He is, of all things, a transfer from Harvard. Next most likely option is Jarrett Lee, a highly rated QB recruit out of Texas who was a freshman last year.

appsfan
February 20th, 2008, 07:38 PM
If I were a LSU fan, I wouldn't be worried. I would expect the Tigers to come in and have the game well in hand by early in the 3rd quarter if not before. LSU plays in the best FBS conference in the nation, they have more depth and talent than any FCS team and should win the game. I do expect ASU to put up a good fight but run out of gas in the second half. However, what I think doesn't count for much as the game is played on the field. A big play or two by ASU, a couple turnovers by LSU, you know the drill, on any given Saturday ... but short of that LSU should win the game.

AlphaSigMD
February 20th, 2008, 08:11 PM
You might want to do a little research. You state "ASU is a strong program that is experiencing a level of success at our level that is unmatched by any team in history. (If you have forgotten, Boise St, Marshall, South Florida and several others in your Subdivision have all been at our level and have never gotten close to playing at our current level)" Baloney. Try doing a little research. Neither ASU or anyone else comes close to what GSU has done. Here's how I would rank past runs:
1. GSU 85'-00' 16 seasons, 8 title games, 6 titles. Included was a 6 season stretch from 85'-90' with 5 title games, 4 titles, and a 3 season stretch 98'-00' with 3 title games, 2 titles. xbowx xbowx xbowx
2. YSU: 91'-97' 7 seasons, 5 title games, including 3 straight, 3 titles
3. ASU 05'07' 3 straight title games, 3 titles
4. Marshall 91-96' 6 seasons, 5 title games, 2 titles
5. EKU 79'-82': 4 straight title games, 2 titles
6. Montana 95'-04' 10 seasons, 5 title games, 2 titles

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=82976

My definition of our success: 3 National Championships in a row. NOBODY has ever done that before. Argue all you want about how "yes there have been other great teams in the past" but no matter how great they were, they didn't win 3 in a row. Thats our level of success that is unmatched.

Henceforth NOBODY has accomplished what we did. Which is pretty much exactly what i put in my post.

HighRyder08
February 20th, 2008, 08:30 PM
APP is gonna be ready....BELIEVE IT

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 08:32 PM
My definition of our success: 3 National Championships in a row. NOBODY has ever done that before. Argue all you want about how "yes there have been other great teams in the past" but no matter how great they were, they didn't win 3 in a row. Thats our level of success that is unmatched.

Henceforth NOBODY has accomplished what we did. Which is pretty much exactly what i put in my post.

My definition of their success: 8 title games and 6 national titles in 16 seasons. NOBODY has ever done that before. Argue all you want about how "yes, ASU has won 3 in a row", but now matter how great they were, they didn't win 6 titles in 16 seasons." Thats their level of success that is unmatched.

Henceforth NOBODY has accomplished what they did. Which is pretty much exactly what I put in my reply.xsmiley_wix

Since GSU is playing UGA, a GSU fan could go on a UGA board as you went on a LSU board, and post that GSU has had a level of success in I-AA that is unmatched.

IMHO a better statement would have been, esp when going on a board loaded with people unfamiliar with I-AA/FCS history, "ASU has won 3 straight national titles, something never done at our level before". Saying they are having a level of success that is unmatched is misleading to say the least. But say what you want. ASU is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Whatever you want. Its a free country.

Bluehenfan08
February 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I agree with you BDKJMU. They play in the 3rd or 4th best conference in the country. I think they are getting to big of heads and will brought down to earth when LSU beats up on APPY.

phillyAPP
February 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
My definition of their success: 8 title games and 6 national titles in 16 seasons. NOBODY has ever done that before. Argue all you want about how "yes, ASU has won 3 in a row", but now matter how great they were, they didn't win 6 titles in 16 seasons." Thats their level of success that is unmatched.

Henceforth NOBODY has accomplished what they did. Which is pretty much exactly what I put in my reply.xsmiley_wix

Since GSU is playing UGA, a GSU fan could go on a UGA board as you went on a LSU board, and post that GSU has had a level of success in I-AA that is unmatched.

IMHO a better statement would have been, esp when going on a board loaded with people unfamiliar with I-AA/FCS history, "ASU has won 3 straight national titles, something never done at our level before". Saying they are having a level of success that is unmatched is misleading to say the least. But say what you want. ASU is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Whatever you want. Its a free country.

You really have something itching you. GSU had a great past and is coming back strong under Hatcher but let APP enjoy our ride. We are proud of what we have done and are doing. You know when Wofford and GSU beat us last year we let them be happy. Who knows maybe JMU will beat APP and you can brag.

What App,GSU, Youngstown, Marshall have done are not one game wonders. Most APP fans are happy for all the other FCS teams that do well, outside a game against APP.

MountaineerGuy
February 20th, 2008, 09:06 PM

I mean I'm not a math major, so somebody can check this for me.

But I'm pretty sure 3 divided by 3 is greater than 8 divided by 16

Here's my Work

3/3 = 1
8/16 = 1/2 = .5

1 > .5

Yes, GSU had a longer sustained run, but it's not like we're expected to drop out of the playoffs this year.........

Bottom line: Almost victories don't count in football.

As far as this "DoEs ApP sTaTe ReAlLy HaVe A sHoT?!?!?!?!" business, I've said before I think this is all pointless because at the end of the day, whichever side of the debate you're on, you're either going to look like you knew what you were talking about, or you're going to look like a tard. And the truth is none of us can really know what's going to happen in August.

But I will quote Denis Waitley:

There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.

phillyAPP
February 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I agree with you BDKJMU. They play in the 3rd or 4th best conference in the country. I think they are getting to big of heads and will brought down to earth when LSU beats up on APPY.

I guess you will be MAN enough to STAND UP if we don't get "Beat up".xnodx

"brought down to earth" until UD or any CAA team beats us - Keep Hating US.xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

If it takes LSU to bring us down to earth its OK thats how we got so good to go to Chattanooga and win 3 STRAIGHT Times. Hope APP and UD make it back to Chattanooga.

Bluehenfan08
February 20th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I would be nice to both of us back there.

SideLine Shooter
February 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
AlphaSigMD,
Man you make more sense than 99% of the politicians out there. Maybe you should run for pres.

AlphaSigMD
February 20th, 2008, 09:53 PM
AlphaSigMD,
Man you make more sense than 99% of the politicians out there. Maybe you should run for pres.

Haha! Thanks! I'll certainly take it under consideration.xthumbsupx

mountaineertider
February 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Now App may not have the best long term run, but it's hard to argue that the best three year run doesn't belong to App.

But oh yeah, ASU has lost to Kansas, LSU, Furman, NC State, Wofford, and Georgia Southern in that time. Guess that knocks them out. ;)

And to go on the topic title, it doesn't matter if LSU fans are worried about App, it's LSU players that matter. If they overlook the 'neers, then they are in for a long, long night.

AlphaSigMD
February 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM

We'll say what you want about ASU, but the SoCon is certainly not the 3rd or 4th best conference. We actually play every team in the conference every year, unlike the CAA, where you can run through the conference and not play 2-3 of the potential players.

ASU certainly took the best that the CAA could offer in stride last year...

jonmac
February 20th, 2008, 10:29 PM
We'll say what you want about ASU, but the SoCon is certainly not the 3rd or 4th best conference. We actually play every team in the conference every year, unlike the CAA, where you can run through the conference and not play 2-3 of the potential players.

ASU certainly took the best that the CAA could offer in stride last year...

Well, we took them, but not quite in stride. Had a little trip there against JMU but managed to land on our feet and hit the ground running to the championship. I, for one, am looking to a really competitive season all around FCS and hope for lots of FCS upsets over FBS teams. We all have a chance. ANY GIVEN SATURDAY!!!!!xthumbsupx

ERASU2113
February 20th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Granted this is late but......

ASU has nothing to lose, LSU does.
I talked to Mark Speir (DL coach at ASU) before the UM game last year. He said, basically they had nothing to lose going into Michigan. If they lose, it's ok...it's expected. If they win, it would change the world.

And it did.

Against LSU, it's the same mindset. If LSU wins, it's no big deal. It'll be the same thing that happens every year. FBS beats FCS. If ASU wins, it changes to world. Just not as much as 9/1/07 did.

McNeese_beat
February 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM

Two reasons why I disagree:

1. It's opening night and people will be up to play because of it and
2. LSU's seniors will have a personal experience with App State that they came away from pretty impressed.

BDKJMU
February 20th, 2008, 11:23 PM
You really have something itching you. GSU had a great past and is coming back strong under Hatcher but let APP enjoy our ride. We are proud of what we have done and are doing. You know when Wofford and GSU beat us last year we let them be happy. Who knows maybe JMU will beat APP and you can brag.

What App,GSU, Youngstown, Marshall have done are not one game wonders. Most APP fans are happy for all the other FCS teams that do well, outside a game against APP.

I could go onto a Duke board and say,
"My definition of our success: No team has ever won 3 playoff games on the road to reach and win the NC. NOBODY has ever done that before. Argue all you want about how "yes there have been other great teams in the past" but no matter how great they were, they didn't win 3 in a row on the road. Thats our level of success that is unmatched."

You see what I'm getting at? You could take anything. Say Team X has had the highest scoring offense in I-AA history. That level of success would be unmatched. Or the top scoring defense in I-AA history. Or the highest # of undefeated seasons. All those levels of success would be unmatched. Etc, etc, etc.

Call it anal retentive, being devils advocate, splitting hairs, etc. Stating "Level of success that is unmatched" at the I-AA level vs stating "being the only team to win 3 straight NCs" is 2 different ways of saying something. One is just a better way of saying it IMHO....

Again, I'll be rooting for you guys against LSU. I'm also a realist....

spoogemcgee18
February 20th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I wonder how Tim Washington, App. State DL transfer from LSU, feels about all this.

Appguy
February 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Two reasons why I disagree:

1. It's opening night and people will be up to play because of it and
2. LSU's seniors will have a personal experience with App State that they came away from pretty impressed.

LSU seems to always opens at night, no different to them then any other opening game.

those senoirs that were freshman at our last meeting are all in the NFL by now, or they're probably not starting still lol

AppGrad06
February 20th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I wonder how Tim Washington, App. State DL transfer from LSU, feels about all this.

I've been wondering that myself. Hopefully, for App he will go in feeling like he's got something to prove.

Rekdiver
February 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'll debate with a GSU fan or a JMU fan but I'm not listening to any UD fan who is still in denial.

By the way, I saw the Wake Fforest fans storm the court after beating Duke, the Harvard fans storming the court after beating Michigan, I'd say that puts our fans in pretty good company?

phillyAPP
February 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I could go onto a Duke board and say,
"My definition of our success: No team has ever won 3 playoff games on the road to reach and win the NC. NOBODY has ever done that before. Argue all you want about how "yes there have been other great teams in the past" but no matter how great they were, they didn't win 3 in a row on the road. Thats our level of success that is unmatched."

You see what I'm getting at? You could take anything. Say Team X has had the highest scoring offense in I-AA history. That level of success would be unmatched. Or the top scoring defense in I-AA history. Or the highest # of undefeated seasons. All those levels of success would be unmatched. Etc, etc, etc.

Call it anal retentive, being devils advocate, splitting hairs, etc. Stating "Level of success that is unmatched" at the I-AA level vs stating "being the only team to win 3 straight NCs" is 2 different ways of saying something. One is just a better way of saying it IMHO....

Again, I'll be rooting for you guys against LSU. I'm also a realist....

I agree about splitting hairs. For me I hate preseason predictions, pumping your chest about what happened 5-10 years ago, even last year, every year is different but I DO BELIEVE APP has proved 3 times recently that they have been DOING the right things and showing that they have what it takes to play with ANYBODY. APP has not been blown out in a long time. NOW, IF LSU blows ASU out then we do have to come back to earth somewhat. IF APP loses to LSU and JMU then we need to regroup and see what happens one game at a time.

MountaineerGuy
February 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Man...I don't mean to keep arguing with the JMU guy...but the reason we have a playoff is to crown a champion, and that, to me (and I would assume most people) is how we measure success.

So you've either got to go off of:

1) Most national championships (Credit to GSU...6 is a big number)
and/or
2) Longest streak of WINNING the national championship

I'm not saying if you don't win it all you didn't have a successful season, but I don't think you can argue that the team that wins the NC isn't the most successful...and thus if you are the most successful for the longest amount of time...that's something that other people don't do.

And as far as "a level of success that no one else has reached in FCS" or whatever...

I know people hate to hear this...but App is still the only FCS team to beat a ranked FBS team.

BDKJMU
February 21st, 2008, 04:45 PM
I agree about splitting hairs. For me I hate preseason predictions, pumping your chest about what happened 5-10 years ago, even last year, every year is different but I DO BELIEVE APP has proved 3 times recently that they have been DOING the right things and showing that they have what it takes to play with ANYBODY. APP has not been blown out in a long time. NOW, IF LSU blows ASU out then we do have to come back to earth somewhat. IF APP loses to LSU and JMU then we need to regroup and see what happens one game at a time.

But with 12? games now even if you lose to LSU and JMU (not say you will, but if) but still went 10-2, with starting out #1 and winning the So-Con outright, ASU would probably still get a seed. As long as ASU went 8-4 they'd be in the playoffs. I think ASU lose to LSU and JMU takes ASU at home (call me a homer) but ASU still goes 9-3 or 10-2, (either 7-0 or 6-1 in the So-Con).

Touchdown Yosef
February 21st, 2008, 04:49 PM
But with 12? games now even if you lose to LSU and JMU (not say you will, but if) but still went 10-2, with starting out #1 and winning the So-Con outright, ASU would probably still get a seed. As long as ASU went 8-4 they'd be in the playoffs. I think ASU lose to LSU and JMU takes ASU at home (call me a homer) but ASU still goes 9-3 or 10-2, (either 7-0 or 6-1 in the So-Con).

I doubt that anyone goes through the SOCON undefeated this year. I still like 10-2, but would prefer 12-0.