PDA

View Full Version : WCU adds 2 more to signing class...

CatamountWCU
February 19th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Anthony Amos
6-0, 180 lbs., WR - Fayetteville, N.C. (Westover HS)
Prior to Western: Was named All-MidSoutheastern 4-A Conference as a senior after garnering Honorable Mention accolades as a junior in `06 ... Last season, scored on a 98-yard touchdown reception last season against Terry Sanford HS.
Personal: Is the son of Anthony and Vonda Amos ... Has three younger siblings.

Jarmarcus Douglas
5-9, 175 lbs., DB - Laurinburg, N.C. (Scotland County HS)
Prior to Western: Originally signed out of high school by Western Carolina in 2007 ... An All-MidSoutheastern 4-A Conference (MSEC) selection at defensive back each of his final two seasons ... Returned four interceptions back for touchdowns last season ... Earned All-MSEC honorable mention as a cornerback as a sophomore.
Personal: Is the son of Dennis Smith and Eunice Douglas ... Has two brothers, Key-Key and Hikeem, and three sisters, Drika, Fionda and Bianca ... Two of his cousins play college football - Jacoby Watkins (North Carolina) and Michael Moody (Elon

That makes 19 for this signing class...

catamount man
February 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Not to mention we may be bringing in a transfer from Iowa and another one from Texas, supposedly both are defensive linemen. Hopefully, we'll know more soon.

Wagner is getting the coaches out on a "tour circuit" as well. Started tonight in Sylva at Nick and Nate's Pizza and Barley restaurant/bar. They'll be here in the Upstate SC on March 27th. Cannot WAIT to meet the new staff.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

CatamountWCU
February 19th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Do you happen to know the names...or initials of the players that might transfer????

catamount man
February 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Do you happen to know the names...or initials of the players that might transfer????

I know nothing....yet.;)

ASU
February 20th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I know nothing....yet.;)

Go Catamounts !!! Sounds like you have a good coach and I expect many wins from our brother school. Things just have not been right with your program down in the past. Will make my sister and my brother-in-law even happier to see their school knocking heads around like they used to do. (Still think that a major turn around now depends on what the coaching staff can get the administration to agree to.) Year of the Cat can't be too far away!

catamount man
February 20th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Go Catamounts !!! Sounds like you have a good coach and I expect many wins from our brother school. Things just have not been right with your program down in the past. Will make my sister and my brother-in-law even happier to see their school knocking heads around like they used to do. (Still think that a major turn around now depends on what the coaching staff can get the administration to agree to.) Year of the Cat can't be too far away!

I certainly hope that this is the beginning of something good in Cullowhee. It is LONG overdue.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
February 22nd, 2008, 05:07 AM
I hope we pick up the Texas and Iowa kids. We look thin at DT. If we get another big playmaker on the DL along side Jeff Bradley then it will be harder for other teams to key in or double team on one guy. Anybody remember Spicer/McNeil? Hunter/Murell?

seantaylor
February 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
I heard WCU had about 15 players either kicked out or leaving.

WCU LawCat
February 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
I believe the total is 12. A lot of them were younger players who had not played or played little. There were a few walk-on players. Then there were some players who contributed but were either attitude problems or were not making the grade. So far it has not been too much worse than it normally is. Once Wagner gets a grip on the program the player grade issues and attitude problems will probably stop. Briggs could get tallented players to come to Cullowhee, but they came to Cullowhee because they were the leftovers (my opinion). Other programs passed them up because of one reason or another.

Coach Wagner does not put up with any junk. We have always had some tallent on the team but we have not always had the right attitude to go with it or the coaching staff to motivate the players. Those things are already changing.

We are also getting three new strength coaches. The program has been overloaded with injuries for the last two season. You are going to see a different WCU team next season. No idea how long it will take them to start winning.

GreatAppSt
February 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Didn't you guys also sign DE Thugy Hittinpipe from the metro DC area?

The Cats
February 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I heard WCU had about 15 players either kicked out or leaving.

Asheville – A total of 11 underclassmen who were on Western Carolina’s football team last season are not on the 2008 tentative spring roster under new coach Dennis Wagner.

Among those 11 are eight players who have started games, including former Asheville High standout Kadeem Morgan.

The underclassmen on the 2007 team and not on the tentative spring roster include:

Craig Brooks, DB — A rising sophomore, Brooks was a reserve who played in four games.

Tim Cooke, LB — The rising sophomore played in 10 games with one start in 2007. He finished with 17 tackles.

L.J. Davis, FB/TE — The rising senior played in nine games last season with two starts. He carried the ball 19 times for 50 yards and had one reception for 7 yards. He played in 28 career games with 11 starts.

Calvin Johnson, DT — The rising sophomore played in 10 games last season, with three starts. He had 22 tackles.

Dan Lawrence, OL — The rising senior was listed as a starter in the 2007 preseason depth chart but missed the season with an injury. He played in nine games, including two starts, in the ’05 and ’06 seasons.

Ra’Shawn Moore, DB — The rising sophomore had one tackle in one game played in 2007.

Morgan, LB — The rising junior played in 10 games in 2007 with one start and 26 total tackles. He started in all 11 games as a freshman in 2006 and was second on the team in tackles with 68.

Marcus Nelums, DE — The rising senior missed the 2007 season with an injury. He played in 17 career games and had six starts in 2006; he finished that season with 12 tackles.

Tim Temple, LB — The rising senior didn’t play in 2007.

Levander Thomas, DE — The rising senior played in seven games last season, including five starts. He finished with 28 tackles.

Drew Walker, LB — The rising senior played in three games last season and started twice before being sidelined with an injury. He had 21 tackles in 2007 and played in 11 career games.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880220128

WCU LawCat
February 23rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
I'll relay the information given to me on the Catamount Pride board by a former player who has exhausted his eligability

-L. J. Davis (medical)- contributor who can never play again because of bad ankles.

-Calvin Johnson was a freshman. Bit of a mystery as to why he is gone. I suspect more than one reason as the reason that was stated to me is a little odd.

-Dan Lawrence (medical) can never play again due to major back injury.

-Tim Temple (walk-on) missed a meeting and got the boot

-Drew Walker had constant back issues and was a good student athlete. I assume he is gone due to medical.

-Marcus Nelums had several injuries over the last two season....and suspensions to go along with it.

-Craig Brooks, Tim Cooke, Ra'shawn Moore, Kadeem Morgan, and Levander Thomas are off the team due to rules violations/attitude problems or grades.

catamount man
February 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Got an email from a player's dad and the 2 JUCO DLs are on campus this weekend. One is from a JC in Iowa, the other from a JUCO in Texas. Don't know any names or specifics yet, but more than likely the kid from Texas is gonna commit this weekend. Again, going by what I was emailed.

Coach Wagner will be addressing the WCU alums and fans in Upstate South Carolina on March 27th at Wild Wings in Greenville, SC from 6-8pm.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

WCU LawCat
February 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
That is good news.