PDA

View Full Version : TSUS Regents: Lamar Football, TxSt FBS

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM
This is the week...

The Texas State University System Board of Regents are meeting Feb. 21 and 22 at Lamar. On the agenda are two items that are very important to the face of the Southland Conference for the next 5-10 years...

I will see if I can get BearkatPresident to explain how the TSUS BoR works. He'll be attending these meetings...

1) Lamar football - The students have already approved a fee increase to support football in addition to giving more money to meet Title IX compliance. Lamar has not had football since the 1980s.

Threads on LU Football on AGS:

CSN West: Lamar Reincarnation - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37486

Future of the SLC - What Now? - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29271

Lamar To Vote On Fee That Would Bring Back Football - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36715

Is Lamar Ready to Revive Football? - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33352

Lamar Football - Alive or Buried? - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25970

2) Texas State - San Marcos and the Football Bowl Subdivision - The students voted on a fee increase that would help pave the way for FBS. Just recently, a donor stepped up and gave $1M to help with the baseball/softball facility, seen as a cornerstone for any "move-up".

Thread on the Bobcats move to FBS on AGS (and related material):

Campus Vote: TxSt-San Marcos to FBS - This Week - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37408

Student Govt in San Marcos Passes "FBS Vote" to Students - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36775

TXST- Million dollar Donation and Student Fee increase - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37707

TXST Advisory Group Approves Move to FBS - http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31886

MaximumBobcat
February 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Good thread, thanks TT. xthumbsupx

Green Cookie Monster
February 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM
$1M for a baseball facility, what about a football stadium upgrade? 15K seats won't cut it, ie. Idaho.

MaximumBobcat
February 18th, 2008, 10:46 AM
$1M for a baseball facility, what about a football stadium upgrade? 15K seats won't cut it, ie. Idaho.

All in good time, my friend. We aren't going to rush things. xnodx

TXST_CAT
February 18th, 2008, 12:45 PM

The $1million is just the begining. The Student fee increase will help fund expansion of Bobcat stadium as soon as the Baseball/Softball complex is complete. It should hold over 25K fans after.

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Lamar football funding approved...

http://www.kfdm.com/news/football_24850___article.html/fee_lamar.html

Texas State athletic fee passed...

http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releases/news_archive/2008/02/regentsspring022208.html

Fresno St. Alum
February 22nd, 2008, 04:15 PM
always good to have another school bring back football. We all knew it would be passed

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
always good to have another school bring back football. We all knew it would be passed

The question is...when will Lamar join the SLC for football? Southeastern La. did not do it til year three. Lamar fans think they'll be in from the get-go...

Fresno St. Alum
February 22nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
I say Lamar will be an Indy for 1 year maybe 2 max. When will they field a team 2009? 2010?

UCAMonkey
February 23rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
All in good time, my friend. We aren't going to rush things. xnodx

I bet if you guys started a new tradition like winning that could help rush things. xthumbsupx xwhistlex :) :)

McNeese75
February 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
I bet if you guys started a new tradition like winning that could help rush things. xthumbsupx xwhistlex :) :)

MB, you gonna take that from this Newby???? xlolx

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM

A tradition of winning? In San Marcos?

Your expecting way too much...their fans won't like losing to Middle Tennessee State and Louisiana-Lafayette, just like they haven't liked losing to McNeese State and Nicholls State...

MaximumBobcat
February 23rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
A tradition of winning? In San Marcos?

Your expecting way too much...their fans won't like losing to Middle Tennessee State and Louisiana-Lafayette, just like they haven't liked losing to McNeese State and Nicholls State...

Don't worry about it. We'll just beat em.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Don't worry about it. We'll just beat em.

That's what you guys have been saying about your FCS foes and most times than not, you go down...

MaximumBobcat
February 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM
A new season is a new chapter...I think we'll be fine. You just don't worry your pretty little head about it.

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 24th, 2008, 10:35 AM
haters

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM
A new season is a new chapter...I think we'll be fine. You just don't worry your pretty little head about it.

We hear the same old tune season after season...

You guys have FBS dreams when you can't even have an FCS success story (yep, 2005 was just about it for you guys)...

Your "too big' for the Southland but like the Yankees, the $$$ does not always transfer to results. xcoffeex

Wonder if Lamar is going to be just as bad or worse than you folks when they get pigskin...

slycat
February 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM

You guys have FBS dreams when you can't even have an FCS success story (yep, 2005 was just about it for you guys)...

Your "too big' for the Southland but like the Yankees, the $$$ does not always transfer to results. xcoffeex

Wonder if Lamar is going to be just as bad or worse than you folks when they get pigskin...

its just like yall talking big every year (hang 60 movement). everyone does it too. it wouldnt be fun to just assume you will suck the next season. and now you are talking of going fbs too. yall may have won a few more games in the past few years then us but your attendance is much worse. how are yall supposed to make the 15000 requirement? and dont use the excuse that you have a smaller enrollment. fact is you still have to get butts in the seats and small schools like rice can do it.

Green Cookie Monster
February 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM
its just like yall talking big every year (hang 60 movement). everyone does it too. it wouldnt be fun to just assume you will suck the next season. and now you are talking of going fbs too. yall may have won a few more games in the past few years then us but your attendance is much worse. how are yall supposed to make the 15000 requirement? and dont use the excuse that you have a smaller enrollment. fact is you still have to get butts in the seats and small schools like rice can do it.

Rice has a billion dollar endowment, the Bobcats don't. Same as comparing it with Duke or Vanderbilt. Good luck.

MaximumBobcat
February 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM

So you're saying the past dictates what the future holds? In that case you're just silly for suggesting SHSU is thinking about going FBS, because SHSU is a historically losing program, while TxSt/SWT is a historically winning program.

Bobcats All Time Football Record 463-382-28

Bearkats All Time Football Record 427-428-34

Yeah...now that you think about it, it doesn't really matter what you do in the past does it? Every season is a chance to start something great.

The more and more posts you make, it really seems you want what is worst for the TxSt football team, and the university in general. Which I find pathetic. I'd like to beat the bearkats every chance we get, but I don't wish ill on you in your other games and your university in general.

Hang 60!

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
its just like yall talking big every year (hang 60 movement). everyone does it too. it wouldnt be fun to just assume you will suck the next season.

The 'Hang 60' movement was ridiculous. I was not a part of it and even when SHSU had Long and McCown, hanging points on the board at such a high rate was never happening...

My remarks are mostly directed at those who consistently say you have "outgrown" the Southland and FCS when you have never had football success in either, especially the Southland (one co-championship means squat).

and now you are talking of going fbs too. yall may have won a few more games in the past few years then us but your attendance is much worse. how are yall supposed to make the 15000 requirement? and dont use the excuse that you have a smaller enrollment. fact is you still have to get butts in the seats and small schools like rice can do it.

First off -- your attendance has not been much higher than us. We tend to have in the 8500 to 9000 range year in and year out. Your school averages about 3000 more (in a good year). Last I checked, your enrollment was twice our size and your in that 'great location' between Austin and San Antonio. Seems you have more working for you...

And regarding Rice, have you been to their games? Outside of the Houston game (pending when it's scheduled), they don't draw that well. Texas brings them in as well and I am sure Tech will when they make an appearance, but Rice does not draw well. I've been there at the games to see it myself. I'm a Rice fan, second to that of SHSU. I've sene it.

When it comes to FBS, we're going to have to talk about it because the regents are going to wonder why the true athletic power in the system (their more familiar with our success and our progress being SHSU 'allies'/alums and seeing it with their eyes -- including the win over Tech) and wanting to know why we are not making the move as well.

We all know it's being discussed behind closed doors. A remark about adding two more women's sports in the next five to ten years was an acknowledgment of that. Time will tell...

So you're saying the past dictates what the future holds? In that case you're just silly for suggesting SHSU is thinking about going FBS, because SHSU is a historically losing program, while TxSt/SWT is a historically winning program.

Bobcats All Time Football Record 463-382-28

Bearkats All Time Football Record 427-428-34

The past does not dictate the future. Look at the move from Div II to Div I for SWT. The Bobcats had a pretty good Div II program. Not so much at the Div I level.

Care to share numbers from the years that both schools were in FCS? SHSU has winning seasons in 11 of the 22 seasons. We have had four Div I playoff appearances and four titles (three SLC, one Gulf Star).

SWT/TXST has five winning seasons in 24 seasons. Not so great. One conference title (SLC) and one Div I playoff appearance (2005). Not looking good.

Times have changed and making the move up is going to be much harder. I'm just providing facts...take them as you see fit.

The more and more posts you make, it really seems you want what is worst for the TxSt football team, and the university in general. Which I find pathetic. I'd like to beat the bearkats every chance we get, but I don't wish ill on you in your other games and your university in general.

I am a realist while most of your fans (at least the ones on these boards) seem to be clueless about reality. Perhaps, that's because a lot of them buy into the garbage of the Associated Student Government.

I just hope the remarks made by your Associated Student Government are not representative of the whole as you will be very misguided in making the jump up. Being "bigger" than the Southland and FCS, ha!

Your AD's recent remarks, even if he was trying to talk to the "uninformed" people of your institution, show how he buys into what the Associated Student Government says.

MaximumBobcat
February 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM
The past does not dictate the future. Look at the move from Div II to Div I for SWT. The Bobcats had a pretty good Div II program. Not so much at the Div I level.

Care to share numbers from the years that both schools were in FCS? SHSU has winning seasons in 11 of the 22 seasons. We have had four Div I playoff appearances and four titles (three SLC, one Gulf Star).

SWT/TXST has five winning seasons in 24 seasons. Not so great. One conference title (SLC) and one Div I playoff appearance (2005). Not looking good.

Times have changed and making the move up is going to be much harder. I'm just providing facts...take them as you see fit.

I am a realist while most of your fans (at least the ones on these boards) seem to be clueless about reality. Perhaps, that's because a lot of them buy into the garbage of the Associated Student Government.

I just hope the remarks made by your Associated Student Government are not representative of the whole as you will be very misguided in making the jump up. Being "bigger" than the Southland and FCS, ha!

Your AD's recent remarks, even if he was trying to talk to the "uninformed" people of your institution, show how he buys into what the Associated Student Government says.

I'm glad to see that you realize past does not dictate future success. So I fail to see why you're still bringing up past records? xconfusedx

Moving up is certainly becoming harder as FBS is getting over-crowded. I wish our move in 2000 would have worked out, we'd probably be going to bowl games by now. Too bad for us. xbawlingx Better late than never though.

Realist? I try my best to not bring individuals into arguments on message boards, but sometimes with you TT, it seems I just have to call you out on some of the stuff you say. I have a hard time believing you're just being a "realist" most of the time. After all, you are the same man who has spent probably HUNDREDS of hours on numerous message boards, making THOUSANDS of posts, sullying MY university's reputation. Some of it is justified, some of it is not. I try to respond when I see fit, as I would have a hard time responding to every one of your posts insulting or talking smack (in your passive-aggressive way) about Texas State. I mean, on average I'd say you've made 2-3 posts every day for FOUR years on multiple message boards talking smack about Texas State. Those are conservative estimates too. I just don't have the energy to keep up with that. With the internet, a single person can influence hundreds or thousands of people's ideas about particular subjects. With all the time you spend on various forums, you've no doubt effected some people's thinkings about Texas State. xpeacex

We'll try our hand at FBS and see how things turn out. No one can predict the future. We will no doubt see up and down seasons, as most transitional programs do in their first few years. Our ASG is of little consequence in actually implementing the FBS move, so I could really care less what they say.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Your ASG is of little consequence? Seems like the individuals in there are the ones who get things moving. They are the "super-delegates" if you will...like that reference, eh?

They got the name change, they got the 'FBS fee'...what else? I am sure there is plenty more they have done and plenty more they will do. How ethical some of their actions have been in obtaining some of their goals is something for another time...

As it relates to the past correlating to the future, it does seem to matter more as it relates from FCS to FBS transitions, more so than Div II to Div I transitions. The FBS programs that have moved up from FCS who were successful at this level seem to be faring better...

With the 'Net, I hope I have given some people a chance to read some different perspective if you will... :)

bobcatalum05
February 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Your ASG is of little consequence? Seems like the individuals in there are the ones who get things moving. They are the "super-delegates" if you will...like that reference, eh?

They got the name change, they got the 'FBS fee'...what else? I am sure there is plenty more they have done and plenty more they will do. How ethical some of their actions have been in obtaining some of their goals is something for another time...

As it relates to the past correlating to the future, it does seem to matter more as it relates from FCS to FBS transitions, more so than Div II to Div I transitions. The FBS programs that have moved up from FCS who were successful at this level seem to be faring better...

With the 'Net, I hope I have given some people a chance to read some different perspective if you will... :)

You do nothing but try and bring Texas State down and your constant insults about the ASG is ridicoulus. TXST ASG is something for TXST to worry about not SHSU. We dont spin or heads trying to figure what SHSU ASG is going to do. Why? We concern ourselves with how we can better TXST and not how we can run down SHSU. Maybe you should do the same.

Its amazing how much time you spend trying to run the Bobcats in the ground. Imagine what you could have accomplished if you would have spent that time figuring out how to improve SHSU.

BEAR
February 26th, 2008, 01:18 PM
You do nothing but try and bring Texas State down and your constant insults about the ASG is ridicoulus. TXST ASG is something for TXST to worry about not SHSU. We dont spin or heads trying to figure what SHSU ASG is going to do. Why? We concern ourselves with how we can better TXST and not how we can run down SHSU. Maybe you should do the same.

Its amazing how much time you spend trying to run the Bobcats in the ground. Imagine what you could have accomplished if you would have spent that time figuring out how to improve SHSU.

They did, HANG 60, remember? xlolx Just kidding! We took the hang 60 theory and applied it to Texas State. xlolx Just kidding! C'mon fellas, this is getting into the realm of smack. UCA had all kinds of dissenters when we announced our move to Division I from the GSC in division II. We did fine and we had only gone to the playoffs a couple of times in division II. Who knows how well TxSt. will do? Who knows if they will do the same thing they do in the FCS level? But one thing is for sure, if they become a member of the SunBelt (which is doing better), they can't say they are starting in an upper level conference (which is where UCA would most likely start if they moved to the FBS). So let's move on and watch the fireworks! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Those same egos in the ASG in San Marcos have attempted (and continue to attempt) to do things that impact Sam Houston State. Until that comes to an end, there's no let up from me when it comes to remarks about their Associated Student Government.

I've spent a fair share of my time (along with others who have a clue) going against them and working to fix the problems they've created...

TXST_CAT
February 26th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Those same egos in the ASG in San Marcos have attempted (and continue to attempt) to do things that impact Sam Houston State. Until that comes to an end, there's no let up from me when it comes to remarks about their Associated Student Government.

I've spent a fair share of my time (along with others who have a clue) going against them and working to fix the problems they've created...

Your little man complex is getting old. If you have a problem with our ASG write a letter and take your vendeta to a board about university politics. I can't believe you get paid to SMEAR the reputation of another university because you feel your university is going to be left behind. Do something about it through your ASG if they care enough to act. Perhaps your energy should be spent building support on your campus instead of trying to smear ours. xpeacex

3rd Coast Tiger
February 27th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Your little man complex is getting old. If you have a problem with our ASG write a letter and take your vendeta to a board about university politics. I can't believe you get paid to SMEAR the reputation of another university because you feel your university is going to be left behind. Do something about it through your ASG if they care enough to act. Perhaps your energy should be spent building support on your campus instead of trying to smear ours. xpeacex

TXST_CAT,

I feel your pain my friend. Is there a "Texas Terror Hotline" number we can call? xsmhx

Fresno St. Alum
February 27th, 2008, 01:45 AM
who does TT write for?

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
who does TT write for?

I do not get paid by anyone to "smear" Texas State - San Marcos. Just another myth put out there by the people in San Marcos, I assume -- sorta like the "he got fired from a SWAC school" notion that 3rd Coast Tiger has put out there before...

While at SHSU, I was a very active student and fought hard to improve the name of Sam Houston State while battling the individuals from San Marcos at all sorts of levels -- as they fought for flagship, attempted to become 'Texas State University' (glad we got the -San Marcos added) and even had people in the system talking about changing all the names of the schools in the system to 'Texas State'...

TheRiver
February 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
TT is a Hater.

It's really sad how much time he puts in his hate for TSU and TXST.

If you only uses your time for good.xthumbsupx

I love the way you spin everything to then make your self feel good about SHSU, and try to show every bad or little problem that you think you know about with other School and there ASG's. All you know is what other people tell you for your side of the woods.

Every one knows that your like Fox news, or MSNBC. Just one side of the story and you throw in a little here and there to make it seam like you are just giving facts.

So for everyone that belives TT he is a smart man but he is not all knowing of both side off the story. He has a lot of info and some good facts but when he start preaching about other schools and there ASG you have to take it all as half truths if even that.

chrisattsu
February 27th, 2008, 10:48 AM
TT is a Hatter.

If you only uses your time for good.xthumbsupx

I love the way you spin everything to then make your self feel good about SHSU, and try to show every bad or little problem that you think you know about with other School and there ASG's. All you know is what other people tell you for your side of the woods.

Every one knows that your like Fox news, or MSMBC. Just one side of the story and you throw in a little here and there to make it seam like you are just giving facts.

So for everyone that belives TT he is a smart man but he is not all knowing of both side off the story. He has a lot of info and some good facts but when he start preaching about other schools and there ASG you have to take it all as half truths if even that.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a2/StetsonHatters.png/180px-StetsonHatters.png
First, I don't think Terror went to Stetson University, home of the Hatters.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/001-0504175107-MSNBC.jpg
Second, It is MSNBC

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM

I'm a big Tarleton State person. Outside of Delta St, they are #2 on my list of institutions that should just the Southland Conference.

Funny -- the only 'ASG' I know is in San Marcos. Most schools refer to themselves as SGA (Student Govt Associations). So, nope -- only school I say anything about their ASG is the one in San Marcos, one that I've had my fair share of bouts with for several years.

Doubt that I only know my side of the story, considering "their" side of the story has been aired in committees in Austin, in the University Star and other places that are out there in the public....

Again, only one Associated Student Government, at least that I know of -- the one in San Marcos. That's a fact, since I like presenting them...xthumbsupx

And back on subject...the Board of Regents approved Lamar and Texas State - San Marcos athletic fees. There's a few other posts about both programs on this board and I'm involved in some lively discussion about the Lamar start-up on their board. They are saying Larry Coker has contacted Lamar about interests in the head coaching job. Coker in the SLC? He applied and was a finalist for the Rice job last year before David Bailiff got it...

TheRiver
February 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks, xthumbsupx

But my point is still the same.

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks, xthumbsupx

But my point is still the same.

You just love trying to associate me with Stetson (this is the second post, if not more than that that you've called me a "hatter", as you did so in a post re: SHSU vs Angelo State)...that's fine.

Any SLC schools schedule Stetson this year? I can make sure to root against them so you don't do that. Or is it because you want me to lobby to get Stetson to add football, join the SLC, change their name to "Stetson-San Marcos" or something else?

bobcatalum05
February 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a2/StetsonHatters.png/180px-StetsonHatters.png
First, I don't think Terror went to Stetson University, home of the Hatters.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/001-0504175107-MSNBC.jpg
Second, It is MSNBC

Yup Texas Terror is just a hatter. Well TXST is just going to have to shake them Hata's off!!!!!!

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4pTiaO933KEyKM:http://www.cnnsi.com/.element

Fresno St. Alum
February 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I do not get paid by anyone to "smear" Texas State - San Marcos. Just another myth put out there by the people in San Marcos, I assume -- sorta like the "he got fired from a SWAC school" notion that 3rd Coast Tiger has put out there before...

While at SHSU, I was a very active student and fought hard to improve the name of Sam Houston State while battling the individuals from San Marcos at all sorts of levels -- as they fought for flagship, attempted to become 'Texas State University' (glad we got the -San Marcos added) and even had people in the system talking about changing all the names of the schools in the system to 'Texas State'...

I hate to drop some bad new for ya TT but those of us on the outside that even know any FCS school outside of App St. just call them Texas St. (no San Marcos). Just like no one calls Wisconsin (UW-Madison) UNC (UNC-Chapel Hill)

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I hate to drop some bad new for ya TT but those of us on the outside that even know any FCS school outside of App St. just call them Texas St. (no San Marcos). Just like no one calls Wisconsin (UW-Madison) UNC (UNC-Chapel Hill)

Can't educate everyone. ;)

I think I've won a few battles as it relates to the proper name and that's good enough for me! I'd just hate for any institution to be renamed "Texas State - " and have to deal with the problems associated with that one. Glad we fought and won protection of SHSU ever being a "Texas State - anything"...

TheRiver
February 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM
TT you know what you are, and what your doing you have been fairly successful at it also, we all know your agenda.

My Hatter is off to you.xlolx

centexguy
February 27th, 2008, 03:53 PM
TT's mission in life is to save the world from Texas State University-San Marcos. It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it!!

TxState_GO_CATS!
February 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM

xthumbsupx xrulesx

TexasTerror
February 29th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Good thing most people haven't even heard of "Texas State" out of the Armadillos...xnodx

MaximumBobcat
February 29th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Good thing most people haven't even heard of "Texas State" out of the Armadillos...xnodx

If you're gonna bring the smack, at least bring it a bit harder than that...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/Becker5280/weaksauce.jpg