PDA

View Full Version : TXST- Million dollar Donation and Student Fee increase

TXST_CAT
February 16th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Two Articles beg ne to aks: What's the largest athletic donation in your school history and what do your student pay in athletics fees?

$1.3 million gift to support athletics, business at Texas State
http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releases/news_archive/2008/02/DarrenCasey021508.html

By Mark Hendricks
University News Service
February 16, 2008

A gift of $1.3 million to Texas State University-San Marcos from a San Antonio alumnus to support the Department of Athletics and the McCoy College of Business Administration has been announced by Texas State President Denise M. Trauth.
The donation, made by San Antonio businessman Darren Casey, will be split between the two Texas State entities with $1 million earmarked for the athletic program and $300,000 for a professorship in the McCoy College of Business Administration.

“I am proud to be able to make this donation to Texas State,” said Casey. “The university was a very important part of my life, and it remains that today. It afforded me opportunities for success and achievement in life.”

The $1 million gift to Bobcat athletics is the largest gift ever made to the university’s athletic program. Director of Athletics Larry Teis expressed his appreciation for the gift.

Texas State students approve increased athletics fee

http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releases/news_archive/2008/02/referendumpasses021308.html

Posted by Mark Hendricks
University News Service
February 13, 2008

Students at Texas State University-San Marcos have voted to increase the fees they pay to support Bobcat athletics in an effort to help the university move its football program to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS -- formerly Division I-A).

In a referendum held Feb. 12 and 13, Texas State students voted 4,738 (79.6 percent) to 1,214 (20.4 percent) to authorize the university to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years.

The university will carry the measure forward and ask that it be approved by The Texas State University System Board of Regents at its meeting Feb. 22 at Lamar University in Beaumont.

Increasing the student athletics fee is the first step in a process university officials say they hope will have the school ready to move to the FBS in four years. The NCAA recently established a four-year moratorium on moves within football subdivisions.

txstatebobcat
February 16th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Is that million dollars going for anything specific? I also wonder if its part of the naming rights or something like that.

TXST_CAT
February 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Is that million dollars going for anything specific? I also wonder if its part of the naming rights or something like that.

The Doanation was 1.3 Million. 300K is going to the Business school and 1million is going to the athletics Dept no indication if it was for specific purpose but there has been lots of talk surrounding the Basball/ Softball Complex and Stadium expansion.

txstatebobcat
February 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I remember reading the athletics site that naming rights for the baseball stadium was right around a million dollars. I'm just surprised they haven't mentioned it, since I figure that this was what the money was for.

TexasTerror
February 16th, 2008, 01:27 PM
SHSU's Don Sanders gave $1M to the SHSU baseball program, so your donation equals the biggest athletic contribution in the system (unless Sul Ross or Lamar have gotten bigger)...

Our baseball stadium is now named after Sanders. I think there was an article recently talking about how SHSU had very minimal seven-figure donations until the last few years and now we've had over 10 (I believe) under our current leadership.

TXST_CAT
February 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
SHSU's Don Sanders gave $1M to the SHSU baseball program, so your donation equals the biggest athletic contribution in the system (unless Sul Ross or Lamar have gotten bigger)...

Our baseball stadium is now named after Sanders. I think there was an article recently talking about how SHSU had very minimal seven-figure donations until the last few years and now we've had over 10 (I believe) under our current leadership.

It's good to hear other SLC universities are having success. I truly feel if we are serious about having a premier athletics program(regarless of classification) our alumni need to be willing to fork over the dollars. If Mr. Casey bought the naming rights it would make for a very good baseball park name. Casey Park or Casey Stadium has a nice sound to it.

TexasTerror
February 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
It's good to hear other SLC universities are having success. I truly feel if we are serious about having a premier athletics program(regarless of classification) our alumni need to be willing to fork over the dollars. If Mr. Casey bought the naming rights it would make for a very good baseball park name. Casey Park or Casey Stadium has a nice sound to it.

I agree -- we need some of our alumni stepping up, not just in the academics, but in the athletics. Our athletic support is actually a big part of our capital campaign as creating more endowed scholarships is a part of the plan...

slostang
February 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Alex Spanos donated 8 million to Cal Poly for the stadium renovation.

slycat
February 16th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Alex Spanos donated 8 million to Cal Poly for the stadium renovation.

now thats a huge athletic donation.

thats what you get for putting out engineers. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
February 16th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Two Articles beg ne to aks: What's the largest athletic donation in your school history and what do your student pay in athletics fees?

$1.3 million gift to support athletics, business at Texas State
http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releases/news_archive/2008/02/DarrenCasey021508.html

By Mark Hendricks
University News Service
February 16, 2008

A gift of $1.3 million to Texas State University-San Marcos from a San Antonio alumnus to support the Department of Athletics and the McCoy College of Business Administration has been announced by Texas State President Denise M. Trauth.
The donation, made by San Antonio businessman Darren Casey, will be split between the two Texas State entities with $1 million earmarked for the athletic program and $300,000 for a professorship in the McCoy College of Business Administration.

“I am proud to be able to make this donation to Texas State,” said Casey. “The university was a very important part of my life, and it remains that today. It afforded me opportunities for success and achievement in life.”

The $1 million gift to Bobcat athletics is the largest gift ever made to the university’s athletic program. Director of Athletics Larry Teis expressed his appreciation for the gift.

Texas State students approve increased athletics fee

http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releases/news_archive/2008/02/referendumpasses021308.html

Posted by Mark Hendricks
University News Service
February 13, 2008

Students at Texas State University-San Marcos have voted to increase the fees they pay to support Bobcat athletics in an effort to help the university move its football program to the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS -- formerly Division I-A).

In a referendum held Feb. 12 and 13, Texas State students voted 4,738 (79.6 percent) to 1,214 (20.4 percent) to authorize the university to increase their athletics fee by $10 per semester credit hour in $2 per year increments over five years.

The university will carry the measure forward and ask that it be approved by The Texas State University System Board of Regents at its meeting Feb. 22 at Lamar University in Beaumont.

Increasing the student athletics fee is the first step in a process university officials say they hope will have the school ready to move to the FBS in four years. The NCAA recently established a four-year moratorium on moves within football subdivisions.

McNeese just recieved a $1 Million donation in November, or December of 2007. McNeese used the Million to pay down it's Athletic Capital Expense fund (i.e. paid off the Press Box/SkyRanch), and then recieved another $800,000 PLUS donation, which is being used to install the new Field Turf.

Those are probably the two single largest in school history towards athletics. We probably recieve an average of about $250,000 to $300,000 a year in donations from various sources.

MSU Students do not have fees that are dedicated strictly to athletics. They do have a small fee that a PORTION is to help build the fieldhouse, but that assessment is a part of a larger capital expense fee that is spread around campus

Green Cookie Monster
February 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Sac State recieved a $10M donation from Alex Spanos for a new football fieldhouse.