PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Is Recruiting a “Show About Nothing”?

CSN-info
February 15th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The CSN Way: Is Recruiting a “Show About Nothing”?
Charles Burton, CSN Columnist

In the not-so-recent past, February used to be a dreary month for college football fans, waiting for their schools’ Web sites to release the descriptions of their incoming classes. Some lucky fans would be fortunate enough to see an article in their local papers on incoming recruits, and maybe a story summing up an interesting tidbit on one or two of the recruits. After about a day, the long wait to spring football would continue wordlessly. But the confluence of Internet technology, recruiting and social networking sites, and the proliferation of Internet video has changed the landscape forever for those (such as myself) obsessed with college football.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=90304

DFW HOYA
February 15th, 2008, 06:46 PM
"Recruiting Web sites such as Rivals.com ranks the incoming recruiting classes once signing day is complete, despite the fact that the Ivy League and Patriot League don’t participate in the Letter of Intent program and sometimes don’t announce their full recruiting classes until May. This didn’t stop Rivals.com this year from ranking Georgetown in its top 10 class in the Football Championship Subdivision despite the fact that the Hoyas haven’t announced a single recruit.

Just because Georgetown didn't announce doesn't mean they don't have recruits.

And yes, Georgetown is a tough sell in recruiting circles and it would be great to get (and keep) an impact class.

Syntax Error
February 15th, 2008, 08:04 PM

And yes, Georgetown is a tough sell in recruiting circles and it would be great to get (and keep) an impact class.Then how does Georgetown get in the Rivals top 10 without recruits announced? Or did they just announce them to Rivals and no one else?

D1scout
February 15th, 2008, 08:21 PM

And yes, Georgetown is a tough sell in recruiting circles and it would be great to get (and keep) an impact class.

DFW, why do you feel that Georgetown is a tough sell in recruiting circles? xconfusedx Not taking issue with your post.xnonox Just curious since G-Town is an excellent academic school.:)

Tribe4SF
February 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Then how does Georgetown get in the Rivals top 10 without recruits announced? Or did they just announce them to Rivals and no one else?

The Rivals rating is based on kids who have verballed to Georgetown....all four of them, by the way. The Rivals rankings for the 16 FCS teams they list are a complete joke, which is what Burton is saying.

Retro
February 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Here's what you guys should know about rivals..

If a guy has interest from an FBS school, he is automatically a 2 star recruit.. If not, he has no stars..

Case in point: Mcneese lost a recruit at the last minute who had no stars.. Arkansas signed him at the last minute and he went from no stars to 2 stars because of that.. I emailed rivals to ask them about this and that is exactly what they told me..

Basically in their eyes, No player an FCS team recruits is a 2 star player unless he has some interest from at least 1 FBS school. Stupid i know! I guess they don't feel and FCS school can out recruit an FBS team with players the FBS schools didn't know about or care about, but are just as good..

Tribe4SF
February 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Retro has it right. QB Nolan Kearney, ranked the #52 QB by Scouts, Inc, went from two-stars to no-stars on Rivals the day after committing to W&M in December.

DFW HOYA
February 16th, 2008, 09:18 AM
The Rivals rating is based on kids who have verballed to Georgetown....all four of them, by the way.

False. 27 have.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm#list

Ronbo
February 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Scout.com Northwest recruiting analyst Chris Fetters told me that Rivals doesn't even have an analyst in the Northwest where Montana gets 75% of our recruits.

I'll trust Scout.

Montana's Scout Class (http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&cfg=null&toinid=781&yr=2008)

Tribe4SF
February 16th, 2008, 09:41 AM
False. 27 have.

http://www.hoyasaxa.com/sports/football.htm#list

I'm aware of that, however Rivals includes only kids who are in their database. For the rating, Georgetown's number was based on four players.