PDA

View Full Version : North and South Dakota State teams' FCS status

McNeeserocket
February 14th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Are North Dakota and South Dakota State Football programs considered FCS teams in 2008? If not, when will they be considered FCS teams? When will they be considered playoff eligible?

TheValleyRaider
February 14th, 2008, 06:50 PM
UND and USD are technically FCS this year. They will count as such on everyone else's schedule. They are probationary right now, not eligible for the postseason until 2012 (I think)

patssle
February 14th, 2008, 06:54 PM
UND/USD are different from NDSU and SDSU...right?

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2008, 07:01 PM
NODAK and SODAK are in the first year of transition (of four) to D-I next year, this was their exploratory year. Their stats will still be D-II next year. Since they haven't turned back, consider them FCS provisional in 2008. 2012 they will be full D-I and playoff eligible.

NDSU and SDSU will be full D-I next year (as long as the NCAA certifies them).

GOKATS
February 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
NODAK and SODAK are in the first year of transition (of four) to D-I next year, this was their exploratory year. Their stats will still be D-II next year. Since they haven't turned back, consider them FCS provisional in 2008. 2012 they will be full D-I and playoff eligible.

NDSU and SDSU will be full D-I next year (as long as the NCAA certifies them).

Maybe I'm confused, but this has been a topic of discussion recently because the Cats are apparently in discussions with USD about a game this fall. It's my understanding that last year ('07) was their 'exploratory' year and this year ('08') is their first 'transitional' year in which case they will not count as a DI opponent. '09 would be their second 'transitional' year when they have to meet FCS scheduling requirements and they would count as DI opponents.

Also, I'm under the impression that NDSU and SDSU are playoff eligible this year ('08).

Bison05
February 14th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Maybe I'm confused, but this has been a topic of discussion recently because the Cats are apparently in discussions with USD about a game this fall. It's my understanding that last year ('07) was their 'exploratory' year and this year ('08') is their first 'transitional' year in which case they will not count as a DI opponent. '09 would be their second 'transitional' year when they have to meet FCS scheduling requirements and they would count as DI opponents.

Also, I'm under the impression that NDSU and SDSU are playoff eligible this year ('08).

Your impression is correct. xthumbsupx

GOKATS
February 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM

Thanks. I wasn't sure if SE was aware that we entered a new year about a month and a half ago.:D I re-read his post and substituted 'year' with 'season' and it makes more sense.

brownbear
February 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
They get the same status that Presbyterian and NC Central had this year.

crunifan
February 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Both the Bison and the Jackrabbits are official members of the Gateway conference now.

They are even on the Gateway website!

GOKATS
February 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Both the Bison and the Jackrabbits are official members of the Gateway conference now.

They are even on the Gateway website!

They're a great addition to the Gateway- I wish the hell we could've brought them into the Big Sky. A couple BSC schools nixed that scenario, it wasn't the conference commish.

McNeese75
February 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Are North Dakota and South Dakota State Football programs considered FCS teams in 2008? If not, when will they be considered FCS teams? When will they be considered playoff eligible?

We play South Dakota State this year. They are members of the Gateway and definitly FCS.

GOKATS
February 14th, 2008, 09:11 PM
We play South Dakota State this year. They are members of the Gateway and definitly FCS.

SDSU and NDSU aren't the question- they're both FCS and playoff eligible this year. The question is regarding the staus of UND and USD.xsmiley_wix

McNeeserocket
February 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM
SDSU and NDSU aren't the question- they're both FCS and playoff eligible this year. The question is regarding the staus of UND and USD.xsmiley_wix

Actually, SDSU and NDSU were at the heart of my question. McNeese plays SDSU again this year, and I wanted to know if they count as an FCS opponent. I am glad to hear they are FCS eligible, as we had to already schedule two none Division I teams to fill our 12 game schedule. McNeese had problems with scheduling this year because we needed a couple of home games (having already scheduled 6 away games) and found it hard to convince teams to come to Lake Charles perahaps in part because we won 11 games last year.

McNeese did not want to schedule a home and home series with another FCS non-conference school who required us to go their house next year since we already have to go to Cal Poly and South Dakota next year. If we also schedule a FBS team next year then the odds are we will also have to travel a considerable distance. to play the FBS team. That means three non-conference long distance trips next year. We did not want to add a fourth long distance non conference trip next year. So we had to settle to play a Div. II team and a NAIA team at home in 2008

Our schedule is not optimal, but at least we have 10 Division I opponents on our schedule for 2008.

GOKATS
February 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Actually, SDSU and NDSU were at the heart of my question. McNeese plays SDSU again this year, and I wanted to know if they count as an FCS opponent. I am glad to hear they are FCS eligible, as we had to already schedule two none Division I teams to fill our 12 game schedule. McNeese had problems with scheduling this year because we needed a couple of home games (having already scheduled 6 away games) and found it heard to convince teams to come to Lake Charles perahap in part because we won 11 games last year.

McNeese did not want to schedule a home and home series with another FCS non-conference school who required us to go their house next year since we already have to go to Cal Poly and South Dakota next year. If we also schedule a FBS team next year then the odds are we will also have to travel a considerable distance. to play the FBS team. That means three non-conference long distance trips next year. We did not want to add a fourth long distance non conference trip next year. So we had to settle to play a Div. II team and a NAIA team at home in 2008

Our schedule is not optimal, but at least we have 10 Division I opponents on our schedule for 2008.

So far you're ahead of us, but no official schedule has been released. We know we have Minnesota on 9/13, eight conference games and it's up in the air if we're going to play an 11 or 12 game season, so to date we have 9 DI opponents in 9 games. USD and Western Colorado have both been mentioned as OOC opponents (both non DI) and still the possibilty of a 12 game season (I doubt it). If we end up with two non DI schools in an 11 (or 12) game season I won't be a happy camper.

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure if SE was aware that we entered a new year about a month and a half ago.:D I re-read his post and substituted 'year' with 'season' and it makes more sense.The current college athletics school year is 2007-2008. So when I said this and next year, I am referring to the athletic year. Next year is 2008-2009.

GOKATS
February 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM
The current college athletics school year is 2007-2008. So when I said this and next year, I am referring to the athletic year. Next year is 2008-2009.

OK, so help me here with your post............

NODAK and SODAK are in the first year of transition (of four) to D-I next year ('08-'09), this was their exploratory year. (Wrong) Their stats will still be D-II next year ('08-'09). Wrong Since they haven't turned back, consider them FCS provisional in 2008. 2012 they will be full D-I and playoff eligible.

NDSU and SDSU will be full D-I next year ('08-'09) Wrong (as long as the NCAA certifies them).

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
OK, so help me here with your post............Okay.

NODAK and SODAK are in the first year of transition (of four) to D-I next year ('08-'09), this was their exploratory year.
You said Wrong.
It is right. '07-'08 was their exploratory year. Next year ('08-'09) is their first proper year in transition. It is a four year transition.
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=78978
http://www.usd.edu/press/news/news.cfm?nid=969&uid=user

Their stats will still be D-II next year ('08-'09).
You said Wrong.
If you say so. I guess I was thinking of being a counter for FBS teams. They don't count as official D-I until they are full D-I (like NDSU beating two FBS teams this past season didn't actually count as FCS over FBS wins, though I consider them).

NDSU and SDSU will be full D-I next year ('08-'09) (as long as the NCAA certifies them).
You said Wrong.
It is right. This is just plain cuckoo.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=84342

Maybe you are misunderstanding. Like I said, we are currently collegiate athletic 2007-2008 this year. Next year is 2008-2009.

slostang
February 15th, 2008, 01:01 AM
UND and USD will not count as a D-I game until 2009.

TheBisonator
February 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM
North Dakota State University and South Dakota State University will be full-blown 100 percent Division I members in the 2008-2009 athletic year. They will both play their first year in the Gateway Football Conference in 2008-2009. When talking about football in the context of the present to future, you can now think of NDSU and SDSU being in the same boat as JMU, Montana, App State, etc.

University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota are in their first year of a 5-year DI transition THIS YEAR, which is 2007-2008. This year is their last year of being full DII programs. NEXT YEAR, in 2008-2009, Both these schools will be in their SECOND YEAR of a 5-YEAR transition, which, among other things, consists of COUNTING AS A DII MEMBER WHEN PLAYING DI SCHOOLS AND COUNTING AS A DI MEMBER WHEN PLAYING DII SCHOOLS. This year of the transition is what's known by some fans as the "limbo year."

Now we can stop correcting each other.xcoolx

GrizzlyEdd
February 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
North Dakota State University and South Dakota State University will be full-blown 100 percent Division I members in the 2008-2009 athletic year. They will both play their first year in the Gateway Football Conference in 2008-2009. When talking about football in the context of the present to future, you can now think of NDSU and SDSU being in the same boat as JMU, Montana, App State, etc.

University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota are in their first year of a 5-year DI transition THIS YEAR, which is 2007-2008. This year is their last year of being full DII programs. NEXT YEAR, in 2008-2009, Both these schools will be in their SECOND YEAR of a 5-YEAR transition, which, among other things, consists of COUNTING AS A DII MEMBER WHEN PLAYING DI SCHOOLS AND COUNTING AS A DI MEMBER WHEN PLAYING DII SCHOOLS. This year of the transition is what's known by some fans as the "limbo year."

Thank you for bringing some sense and realism to this thread.... I was starting to get dizzy...xoopsx I am glad to see NDSU and SDSU in the playoff mix this year (07/08.. couldn't resist). It is about time a couple of fine schools get their respective chances to show the rest of the FCS that they are for real... as if they don't already know...xnodx

spelunker64
February 15th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I hate how UND and NDSU get mixed up.

Do people mix up Florida and Florida State...?

AZGrizFan
February 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Yep. That's why their schedule looks a liiiiitttle different this year than in the past few years... :D :D :D :D

j/k boys....you know we Montanans love NoDaks!!!! xnodx

GOKATS
February 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM

Well, maybe we're getting close, but if I'm not mistaken NDSU and SDSU will play in the Gateway Conference this year 2007-2008.xpeacex

FCS Preview
February 15th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Well, maybe we're getting close, but if I'm not mistaken NDSU and SDSU will play in the Gateway Conference this year 2007-2008.xpeacex

You are mistaken. :)

The 2007 FB season is over (part of the 2007-2008 AY).
The 2008 FB season (part of the 2008-2009 AY) is this Autumn.

GOKATS
February 15th, 2008, 10:26 AM
You are mistaken. :)

The 2007 FB season is over (part of the 2007-2008 AY).
The 2008 FB season (part of the 2008-2009 AY) is this Autumn.

It depends on what the definition of "is" is.xlolx

That's why I prefer to just say '07, '08, '09, etc. when talking FCS football because we don't carry over into the next year with bowl games, etc.

My intent was the same- NDSU and SDSU will be members of the Gateway Conference in this, the '08 season.xnodx

Syntax Error
February 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM

University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota are in their first year of a 5-year DI transition THIS YEAR, which is 2007-2008. This year is their last year of being full DII programs. NEXT YEAR, in 2008-2009, Both these schools will be in their SECOND YEAR of a 5-YEAR transition...That's what I said! xnodx

JSUBison
February 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Bobby Bowden should retire now that he won a championship the other year against Ohio.

spelunker64
February 15th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Bobby Bowden should retire now that he won a championship the other year against Ohio.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx

McTailGator
February 16th, 2008, 05:14 PM

HELL,

Most people don't know the difference between NORTH and SOUTH Dakota. Why are they two different states anyway. ;)

Bison77
February 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
HELL,

Most people don't know the difference between NORTH and SOUTH Dakota. Why are they two different states anyway. ;)

Why do people from down south mispronounce New Orleans? ;)

dbackjon
February 18th, 2008, 09:33 AM
HELL,

Think of it like Mississippi and Alabama, only less creative naming :D

McNeese72
February 18th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Why do people from down south mispronounce New Orleans? ;)

Yes, everybody knows it is supposed to be pronounced "N'awlins". That's the way the "Y'ats" pronounce and they should know, they live there. :)

I think Jeannie confused people when she said North Dakota and South Dakota St. in her original question when she meant to say North Dakota St. and South Dakota St. At least, that's what I think she meant.

Doc

McNeese75
February 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yes, everybody knows it is supposed to be pronounced "N'awlins". That's the way the "Y'ats" pronounce and they should know, they live there. :)

I think Jeannie confused people when she said North Dakota and South Dakota St. in her original question when she meant to say North Dakota St. and South Dakota St. At least, that's what I think she meant.

Doc

Are you REALLY trying to say you know what a woman is thinking????? xlolx :D Silly Doc

McNeese72
February 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Are you REALLY trying to say you know what a woman is thinking????? xlolx :D Silly Doc

You have made a good point. :)

Doc

BearsCountry
February 18th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Think of it like Mississippi and Alabama, only less creative naming :D

Mississippi is the Kansas of the South. Man the drive from Memphis to New Orleans is about as bad as going from KC to Denver.

McNeeserocket
February 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Doc

Well of course I meant North Dakota State and South Dakota State. I didn't think it was necessary to put state after ND when I was following it directly with South Dakota State. I guess I shouldn't assume anything especially when "my friends" are there to cover for me!

xoopsx xsmiley_wix