PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA Rule Change Proposals

aust42
February 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
http://www6.comcast.net/sports/articles/cfb/2008/02/13/NCAA-Football.Rules/

I hope the horse collar tackle penalty proposal fails. It's impossible for a defender to not grab the collar at times when making a tackle. The NFL IMO, has really taken something away from their game when implementing their "touching the QB" and horse collar tackle penalties. Those penalties can completely change the outcome of games. I'm not in favor of the NCAA time clock proposals either. Their still trying to speed up the game. Just let it be.

UNHWildCats
February 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I support the horse collar penalty... It can cause severe injuries to players.

turfdoc
February 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
http://www6.comcast.net/sports/articles/cfb/2008/02/13/NCAA-Football.Rules/

I hope the horse collar tackle penalty proposal fails. It's impossible for a defender to not grab the collar at times when making a tackle. The NFL IMO, has really taken something away from their game when implementing their "touching the QB" and horse collar tackle penalties. Those penalties can completely change the outcome of games. I'm not in favor of the NCAA time clock proposals either. Their still trying to speed up the game. Just let it be.

I agree but once again the NCAA is hoping to F up the game by changing the clock rules.

Start writing emails right now. Let's make sure Penn State and ND and OSU can make more money (the 10% rich programs) by screwing with the game that the other 90% play too. They should make the clock rule changes for the FBS division only. Of course the media will support it, more commercials more media revenue, boomer and crew make more money.

makes me sick

ngineer
February 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I support the horse collar rule. Some players have suffered devasting injuries from that tackle, usually in the form of compound fracture of the high ankle area. This is what happened to McNabb two years ago. If a rule can eliminate the type of injury that can be either life threatening or very serious it should be instituted. If a DB is chasing a guy, he'll just have to catch up and tackle the guy around the waist.

aust42
February 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I support the horse collar rule. Some players have suffered devasting injuries from that tackle, usually in the form of compound fracture of the high ankle area. This is what happened to McNabb two years ago. If a rule can eliminate the type of injury that can be either life threatening or very serious it should be instituted. If a DB is chasing a guy, he'll just have to catch up and tackle the guy around the waist.

There are devastating injuries from all kinds of tackles. Football is a violent high collision sport and injuries are a part of the game. You can only protect the players so much thru rules. For a hustling defender doing his job the "horse collar tackle" is impossible to avoid at times. When that penalty is called it penalizes a defender for doing his job and rewards the offense for a nonsense call. It can change the outcome of a game which is just wrong. What's next? No tackling below the waist to avoid knee injuries?

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I also saw that they might eliminate the 5 yard face mask rule which would be another dumb move IMO. There are several accidental facemasks and to penalize a team/player 15 yards without a level of degree is rediculous IMO.

The clock rule is also another stupid rule given the diversity of offenses in the NCAA. A college team that's primarily a ground team could just eat time away. Nine-ten minute drives could become the norm.

bench
February 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I also saw that they might eliminate the 5 yard face mask rule which would be another dumb move IMO. There are several accidental facemasks and to penalize a team/player 15 yards without a level of degree is rediculous IMO.

The clock rule is also another stupid rule given the diversity of offenses in the NCAA. A college team that's primarily a ground team could just eat time away. Nine-ten minute drives could become the norm.

If I understand correctly, they're doing away with the 5-yard facemask penalty, and incidental contact won't be flagged at all. If they were going to make incidental facemasking a 15-yarder, that would be pretty stupid.

TheValleyRaider
February 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM
If the Horse-Collar rule is really similar to the NFL's, then there will still be some leeway in calling it. I believe (and someone can correct me on the details) that it is only a horse-collar if the defender is directly behind the ball-carrier and stops his forward-motion by pulling directly backwards. In other words, grabbing from the side or pulling towards the side is still legal. Not necessarily advisable, but legal.

The rule about letting the game-clock restart after the runner going out of bounds though... xnonono2x

UNHFan99
February 14th, 2008, 06:25 AM
If the horsecollar rule was implemented in 2004 David Ball might not have gotten hurt against Georgia Southern. It wasnt a dirty tackle by any means. It was completely within the rules of the NCAA but I think I remember it being very similar to the one T.O. was hurt on against the cowboys that started this whole thing.