PDA

View Full Version : URI Football Recruiting Class Nationally Ranked

Cobblestone
February 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
WTG Coach Rizzi! xthumbsupx

Rams Place 10th amongst FCS Schools.

Feb. 11, 2008

KINGSTON, R.I. - The University of Rhode Island 2008 football recruiting class was ranked No. 10 amongst all Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) schools by Rivals.com recruiting service

http://gorhody.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021108aad.html

Tribe4SF
February 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I can't believe URI actually put this on their website. You realize only about 15 FCS schools were listed?

GannonFan
February 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
No offense to our Hoya fans out there, but any list has to be questioned when Georgetown is listed in the top 10. xrotatehx

Uncle Buck
February 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM
GF, I thought the same thing. But good job to the new URI coach either way. It sounds like he has landed some quality kids and is off to a good start.

89Hen
February 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I can't believe URI actually put this on their website. You realize only about 15 FCS schools were listed?

No offense to our Hoya fans out there, but any list has to be questioned when Georgetown is listed in the top 10. xrotatehx
Agreed with Uncle Buck... ANY good news that URI can post, I'd post. Good for the Rams. xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
February 13th, 2008, 11:06 AM
GF, I thought the same thing. But good job to the new URI coach either way. It sounds like he has landed some quality kids and is off to a good start.

Thanks. My point exactly!

Cobblestone
February 13th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Agreed with Uncle Buck... ANY good news that URI can post, I'd post. Good for the Rams. xthumbsupx

AMEN to you brother!

DFW HOYA
February 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Why question it? Georgetown has clearly been able to land recruits in certain positions but it lacks the scholarship support in other positions (read=linemen) to support them. Nick Cangelosi was a three star QB prospect in 2003 and was ranked the #38 QB in the nation by Rivals.com, but he wasn't much when he had a front line of 250 lb. underclassmen protecting him.

As was said elsewhere, There is no doubt Georgetown can field a very good I-AA/FCS football team if it can achieve financial parity with the remaining peer schools. The PL schools know with the recruiting reach and name recognition Georgetown has, if it were ever able to offer the scholarship support other schools enjoy today, GU would be consistently at or near the top of the league.

JoltinJoe
February 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
You can downplay recruting rankings, and you may be right.

What it does mean is that Rizzi, in a shortened-recruiting period, landed a number of recruits that other FBS and FCS schools had taken notice of.

Good job.

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Apparently, they don't teach people how to count in Rhode Island...they are not even top 10 if you take the time to check it out on Rivals.com!

1. Eastern Washington
2. Illinois State
3. Appalachian St
4. McNeese State
5. UMass
6. Villanova
7. Richmond
8T. Georgetown
8T. Indiana State
8T. Northwestern St
11T. Northern Colorado
11T. Rhode Island
11T. Tennessee - Chattanooga
11T. Dusquesne
15T. Western Carolina
15T. Fordham

89Hen
February 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Now I will have to pile on too. :o

8T. Georgetown
8T. Indiana State
11T. Northern Colorado
11T. Rhode Island
11T. Tennessee - Chattanooga
15T. Western Carolina
A combined 8-59.... why does it seem hard to believe those 6 had some of the top recruiting classes? xeyebrowx

bench
February 13th, 2008, 12:49 PM

And Georgia Southern with all their stars isn't number one.

straightshooter
February 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
What an absolute crock. URI has two guys rated as two star recruits and their SID puts out a press release on it? Did he not see that most of the FCS schools were not listed.

Rivals has GSU listed with four three star and four two star players, not inclulding transfers. Four other players recruited by GSU received two star ratings by Scout.com, but were not ranked by Rivals. If you count the transfers, one of GSU's guys was a three star and another was a two star. Between the two rating services, that's four three star and eight two star players in the class not counting transfers. Look for GSU to add a four star OL before fall camp.

Now. Tell me that GSU's class is behind URI. I'm sure that other schools, like UNI and Montana can make claims as well.

TexasTerror
February 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
You can not blame the SID for putting it out -- that's their job. If there's good publicity for the program, they are going to put it out. These rankings just don't hold any weight with me (nor should they with anyone), but not everyone realizes that. Smart move by the SID to put a release out there!

justsaying
February 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Really, you can't take the rivals team rankings seriously, especially on the FCS level. They only took into consideration those prospect who already had a rivals profile. So when they ranked the classes, those don't have a profile get left out of the rankings.

Cobblestone
February 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
If you guys had seen our previous recruiting classes when we had Stowers, this thread would like quite different. I'm happy with what Rizzi did in such a short time period. :D

Seawolf97
February 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
If you guys had seen our previous recruiting classes when we had Stowers, this thread would like quite different. I'm happy with what Rizzi did in such a short time period. :D

As you and the Rams should be. You seem to be off to a great start under the new staff!

Brad82
February 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I had some ?? about this too.
But,in midst of major $$ campaign-we need the pub..
Certainly,looks like an improvement over past.
Let's remember this in 4-5 yrs.-fair enough?

yorkcountyUNHfan
February 14th, 2008, 06:43 AM
In programs like URI (add any NE school) getting people talking/thinking about football during basket/hockey is a good thing.