PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pig

AshevilleApp2
February 13th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Being me, wants to know where you would recommend a visitor coming to see a game at your stadium should eat. Why?

This should probably come closer to the start of the season, but I'd like to know of some local places worth taking the time to find if I'm at a road game.

andy7171
February 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Depends, are you drinking after the game or looking for a nice place to have dinner.

AshevilleApp2
February 13th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Depends, are you drinking after the game or looking for a nice place to have dinner.

I'd probably have a few beers, but that wouldn't be my primary purpose. More along the lines of something with local flavor, in order to avoid chain food if possible.

If you know a place with great food that doesn't serve alcohol, post it, I can always drink later. Vice versa, if there's a must party place, post it. Thanks.xthumbsupx

andy7171
February 13th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Well if you are drinking and aprtying and looking to extend it at a bar/pub/grill anywhere in Towson. But if you are looking for more of a dinning experience, you should head 15-20 minutes to downtown Baltimore.

Towson is fairly unique as it is in a very metropolitain location. It's not really a town built around a college with nothing around. At least 20-30 locations in Towson and countless downtown.

Local fair? Can't go wrong with crabs.

Tribe4SF
February 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
After games at Towson, I head straight back to the Inner Harbor, grab a bite at the Hyatt, and then head for Fells Point and some blues. One of my favorite road trips.

OL FU
February 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Start at North Main and Beatty in Greenville and start walking south. Somewhere around 60 or 70 choices in a 10 block range down Main Street from hot dog stands to fine dining, from drunken revelry to the finest cognacs.

813Jag
February 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Being me, wants to know where you would recommend a visitor coming to see a game at your stadium should eat. Why?

This should probably come closer to the start of the season, but I'd like to know of some local places worth taking the time to find if I'm at a road game.
In Baton Rouge, there's lots of good places to eat. It really just depends on your tastes and how far you'd want to drive from the stadium.

McNeese75
February 13th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Welllll, since tailgating starts Friday and goes until Sunday the best food is going to be found at the satdium xnodx

813Jag
February 13th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I'd probably have a few beers, but that wouldn't be my primary purpose. More along the lines of something with local flavor, in order to avoid chain food if possible.

If you know a place with great food that doesn't serve alcohol, post it, I can always drink later. Vice versa, if there's a must party place, post it. Thanks.xthumbsupx
There aren't many places in Baton Rouge that do that. But like McNeese75 said most of the good food is at the tailgates. Lots of good food to be had. xthumbsupx

McNeese_beat
February 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with McNeese 75 about Lake Charles. But there are a couple of local flavor places that have become standard stops during trips to McNeese. One is Darrell's po-boys right on I-210. A newer one, right by campus, that I like is Reggie Ball's Fried Chick-n (that's what they call it). Definitely fried Louisiana style the way Popeye's wishes theirs was fried (in other words, better spices).

I'm not talking about four-star, Zagat-rated joints. I'm talking football trip food...

slostang
February 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
In San Luis Obispo (if you are visiting Cal Poly) the Firestone Grill is a great place for a burger, ribs, tri-tip and beer after a game.

andy7171
February 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Coming back from Delaware games there is a restaurant under the bridge in Chesapeake City on the C&D Canal that has good seafood. Can't think of the name though.

And in Williamsburg if you visit W&M, definately find Pierce's Pitt BBQ before hitting the road home!

AshevilleApp2
February 13th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Boone's got a few places worth eating at. Breakfast-Boone Bagelry and Mountain House Restaurant;

Lunch-Macados has pretty good sandwiches, the Mountaineer Restaurant is decent if you want a meat and two or three vegetables special.
Peppers Restaurant is good for lunch and dinner
Dinner-Daniel Boone Inn for family style southern cooking.
Pizza-Mellow Mushroom

If you go to Blowing Rock there's a place called Woodlands that serves decent sandwiches and mexican. I don't much care for their barbecue.

If you get the chance, there is a place in Blowing Rock called Canyons (Holly's for you old Boone goons) that you can sit on the deck and enjoy amazing views.

Others?

MR. CHICKEN
February 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Coming back from Delaware games there is a restaurant under the bridge in Chesapeake City on the C&D Canal that has good seafood. Can't think of the name though.
And in Williamsburg if you visit W&M, definately find Pierce's Pitt BBQ before hitting the road home!

CHESAPEAKE INN..........MAH DAUGHTERS WEDDIN' RECEPT....WILL BE HELD DERE......SEPT 27TH.........(WLL BE MISSIN' DUH ALBANY GAME...:(...BUT HEY...IT'S MAH KID...xnodx)....BRAWK!

Jiggs
February 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Boone's got a few places worth eating at. Breakfast-Boone Bagelry and Mountain House Restaurant;

Lunch-Macados has pretty good sandwiches, the Mountaineer Restaurant is decent if you want a meat and two or three vegetables special.
Pizza-Mellow Mushroom

If you go to Blowing Rock there's a place called Woodlands that serves decent sandwiches and mexican. I don't much care for their barbecue.

If you get the chance, there is a place in Blowing Rock called Canyons (Holly's for you old Boone goons) that you can sit on the deck and enjoy amazing views.

Others?

I like Joe's Italian Kitchen in Boone. Also, Louisiana Purchase in Banner Elk is excellent.

Death Dealer
February 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Depends on whether you are toting the tots or not. We usually hit Sushi Hana after the game because that's what my kids vote for nine times out of ten. But, OL is right. Downtown G'vegas is great. All you have to do is park and walk, it's all there. Whatever your tastes might lean towards, there is a place that will meet them and usually exceed them.

Some favorites downtown are:

High Cotton-fine dining
The Lazy Goat- fusion meditteranian
Smoke On the Water- BBQ
Trios-American contemporary
Wild Wings-just what it sounds like
Barley's Tap Room-fantastic pizza and hundreds of beers to choose from
Hot Dog King-again, that pretty much sums it up
Trattoria Giorgio- Northern Italian
American Grocery-cool place that emphasizes locally grown food in their dishes.

andy7171
February 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM
CHESAPEAKE INN..........MAH DAUGHTERS WEDDIN' RECEPT....WILL BE HELD DERE......SEPT 27TH.........(WLL BE MISSIN' DUH ALBANY GAME...:(...BUT HEY...IT'S MAH KID...xnodx)....BRAWK!

xthumbsupx
I knew one of you Delawarons would know. Quite the sight to see if a ship comes through!

asu7
February 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Depends on whether you are toting the tots or not. We usually hit Sushi Hana after the game because that's what my kids vote for nine times out of ten. But, OL is right. Downtown G'vegas is great. All you have to do is park and walk, it's all there. Whatever your tastes might lean towards, there is a place that will meet them and usually exceed them.

High Cotton-fine dining
Smoke On the Water- BBQ

There is a Wild Wings in Asheville and it is off the hook ... if it is the same wing joint next time I go to furple game I will have to make a visit ...

mistersykes
February 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Pizza-Mellow Mushroom

Others?

I disagree with most of your choices except MM for pizza, but to each their own! For Boone, I recommend these:

Breakfast: Melanie's (King Street next to Mast Store) - some of the best/biggest breakfast I've ever had, and usually well under 10 bucks. The downside is the large crowds and long waits, but its worth it every time. You can't go wrong with Potato Madness, Quiche of the day, or the Greek Omelette.

Lunch: Hokkaido (Japanese - near Wal-mart), Cha-Da Thai (Thai - Non-frat side of Howard Street), or Black Cat Burritos (gigantic burritos, nachos, etc - Depot Street) - Delicious Lunches for under $7. If you want to pay more, Makoto's Steakhouse is "classier" and they put on a show, but Hokkaido tastes almost exactly the same for most of the dishes.

Dinner: I'd say Moonshine, but that's moving to where Angelica's used to be. They'll be called Tupelo's (King Street), they'll have a lot of different regional cuisines, and I'm sure it will be as excellent as Moonshine. For southwestern, Coyote Kitchen is owned by the same folks. Not as much food but delicious if you know what to get. I recommend their "boats", burgers, and quesadillas. The Asian places are also going to be open for dinner. Pepper's is a good choice as well.

These are the best in my opinion, but it depends on what you're looking for. I look for unique, local places with decently-priced and delicious food. The Mexican places, Cici's, Mountain House, Macado's, etc. are pretty generic to me (though I still go to them sometimes). Dan'l Boone Inn is a bit touristy. I've had less than great experiences at Joes' Italian Kitchen and Boone Bagelry. Capone's, though its local and I want to say its cheaper, isn't as good as Mellow Mushroom. And I haven't even covered that many places! For such a small place, Boone sure does have some great restaurants. Hope this helps somebody.

Mountaineer
February 13th, 2008, 03:38 PM
..or Black Cat Burritos (gigantic burritos, nachos, etc - Depot Street)

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Black Cat is my favorite. Love that place. I put their stickers on everything too. :D xlolx

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6117/blackcatik2.jpg

OL FU
February 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM

High Cotton-fine dining
Smoke On the Water- BBQ

I love Giorgio'sxthumbsupx

I assume The Lazy Goat must be in the West End. I haven't heard of it. Got to get out morexnodx

mistersykes
February 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Black Cat is my favorite. Love that place. I put their stickers on everything too. :D xlolx

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6117/blackcatik2.jpg

Haha, you bet. I go there every chance I get for lunch (1-2 times a week). That sticker, along with Footsloggers' classic "Get High On A Mountain" one (can't find a pic), are all over the place. Gotta love it!xthumbsupx

Touchdown Yosef
February 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Pizza-Mellow Mushroom

Others?

You don't sound too excited about any of your choices.

I love MM and Capone's for pizza. Both have great beer selections but Capone's has great appetizers as well. Both are great. Flipside does great Chicago style pizza.

I love Boone Bagelry for breakfast I just don't think you can beat it. I will also eat DBI for breakfast on rare occasion, I too find it very touristy. If you want better southern style cooking head out to ashe county and go to shatley springs. Sonny's grill in BR is great too. And you must stop by stick boy bread. The grandview out in Linville is great.

The Ham Shoppe is unbeatable for lunch but now you have to make the trip to valle crucis to get it. I also like Dos Amigos and the pollo fundido. Makoto's also has great lunch specials and the portions are the same size as the dinner ones for half the price. There is no better place to spend a warm sunny afternoon in boone than sitting outside at klondike with a cold beer and a buffalo chicken wrap. Parthanon also has great food as well as Mr. Origionals (both owned by the same folks). Boone drug was always one of my favorites for lunch on a budget and make sure you say hello to Marilyn. Trolly Stop for dogs.

For dinner I loved Wildflower but didn't much care for the owners. Cafe Portafino was good and had a great beer selection. The Gamekeeper and Crestwood are both wonderful as well. The bistro is also very good. For italian go to try Good Eats out in Valle Crucis. Plenty of great restaurants in Blowing Rock, Story Street grille, Cripens, Blowing Rock Cafe. I personally love Woodlands and couldn't understand how anyone couldn't. I love their country style ribs. They could use a better beer selection though. Peanuts out in foscoe has good bbq as well and they do a fish fry on fridays but I doubt many students make it there.

Probably way to much information in a very disorganized post but oh well.

furman94
February 13th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Greenville is one of the best cities in the southwhen it comes to food diversity!

Pomegranite on Main- new resteraunt, meditteranian, great atmosphere and food
Liberty's Taproom annd Grill - Next to Greenville Drive's West End Field... Great food if you want higher-class Americana at a great price
High Cotton - Maverick Kitchen, anything from roasted duck with rasberry sauce to hand battered fried chicken. Right on the river, great atmosphere!
Resteraunt O- Fine Dining restraunt of the Poinsett Hotel, very fancy!
Trios- Great for Families
Smoke on the Water - fine southern foods, on the river
The Overlook - Overlooks Falls Park and the Liberty Bridge, great sandwiches.
Sassafras - Fine Southern Kitchen and Bistro, mildly fancy
Soby's - creative dishes with Upstate and Lowcountry SC flavor and international pizzaz
Brown Street Club - Great Jazz Resteraunt, Great Atmosphere
Rick Erwins West End Grille- Steak and Seafood, fancy
Wasabi - Sushi and Japanese Cuisine
Trattoria Giorgio - Great Northern Italian Cuisine
Atlanta Bread company - Soups nand Sandwiches
Bertolo's- Pizza, Calzones, Subs... Great, Fast Italian
Cantiflas - Mexican Restraunt and Bar
Devereaux's - Contemperary Americana
Coffee Underground- Explains itself, great dessert
Ristorante Bergamo - Fancy Italian
Sticky Fingers - Wings
Tsunami- Japanese Bar
American Grocery - Showcase of Upstate flavor, Great Restraunt
The Hotdog King- A Greenville Classic
The Sabrett Hotdog Stand Man - Great Local... Hotdogs in a Stand

MY FAVORITE:
The Lazy Goat - New Age Mediterranian Food, Amzing Variety of Greek and Italian fine foods...

Wow, this is a long post and this isn't even close to being all of the Great Places Downtown!

APPride
February 13th, 2008, 07:09 PM

High Cotton-fine dining
Smoke On the Water- BBQ

was there one night after a regional sales meeting, big drink fest...the scenery was top notch and it seemed like 2:1 ladies to men ??! Greenville is w/out a doubt a GREAT downtown. xthumbsupx

proasu89
February 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Probably way to much information in a very disorganized post but oh well.[/QUOTE]

Disorganized, yea a littlexlolx But spot onxthumbsupx Glad to see you mention the Bistro. Nobody ever seems to mention it when talking about fine dining but the wife and I enjoy it. We do have to save up for a special occasion though:(

proasu89
February 13th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Wild Wings in Charleston has never lacked for scenery.

AshevilleApp2
February 14th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I disagree with most of your choices except MM for pizza, but to each their own! For Boone, I recommend these:

Breakfast: Melanie's (King Street next to Mast Store) - some of the best/biggest breakfast I've ever had, and usually well under 10 bucks. The downside is the large crowds and long waits, but its worth it every time. You can't go wrong with Potato Madness, Quiche of the day, or the Greek Omelette.

Lunch: Hokkaido (Japanese - near Wal-mart), Cha-Da Thai (Thai - Non-frat side of Howard Street), or Black Cat Burritos (gigantic burritos, nachos, etc - Depot Street) - Delicious Lunches for under $7. If you want to pay more, Makoto's Steakhouse is "classier" and they put on a show, but Hokkaido tastes almost exactly the same for most of the dishes.

Dinner: I'd say Moonshine, but that's moving to where Angelica's used to be. They'll be called Tupelo's (King Street), they'll have a lot of different regional cuisines, and I'm sure it will be as excellent as Moonshine. For southwestern, Coyote Kitchen is owned by the same folks. Not as much food but delicious if you know what to get. I recommend their "boats", burgers, and quesadillas. The Asian places are also going to be open for dinner. Pepper's is a good choice as well.

These are the best in my opinion, but it depends on what you're looking for. I look for unique, local places with decently-priced and delicious food. The Mexican places, Cici's, Mountain House, Macado's, etc. are pretty generic to me (though I still go to them sometimes). Dan'l Boone Inn is a bit touristy. I've had less than great experiences at Joes' Italian Kitchen and Boone Bagelry. Capone's, though its local and I want to say its cheaper, isn't as good as Mellow Mushroom. And I haven't even covered that many places! For such a small place, Boone sure does have some great restaurants. Hope this helps somebody.

Thanks, it helps me. I've lived away from Boone since 1999 and this gives a more current view of what's newer. xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp2
February 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM
You don't sound too excited about any of your choices.

I love MM and Capone's for pizza. Both have great beer selections but Capone's has great appetizers as well. Both are great. Flipside does great Chicago style pizza.

I love Boone Bagelry for breakfast I just don't think you can beat it. I will also eat DBI for breakfast on rare occasion, I too find it very touristy. If you want better southern style cooking head out to ashe county and go to shatley springs. Sonny's grill in BR is great too. And you must stop by stick boy bread. The grandview out in Linville is great.

The Ham Shoppe is unbeatable for lunch but now you have to make the trip to valle crucis to get it. I also like Dos Amigos and the pollo fundido. Makoto's also has great lunch specials and the portions are the same size as the dinner ones for half the price. There is no better place to spend a warm sunny afternoon in boone than sitting outside at klondike with a cold beer and a buffalo chicken wrap. Parthanon also has great food as well as Mr. Origionals (both owned by the same folks). Boone drug was always one of my favorites for lunch on a budget and make sure you say hello to Marilyn. Trolly Stop for dogs.

For dinner I loved Wildflower but didn't much care for the owners. Cafe Portafino was good and had a great beer selection. The Gamekeeper and Crestwood are both wonderful as well. The bistro is also very good. For italian go to try Good Eats out in Valle Crucis. Plenty of great restaurants in Blowing Rock, Story Street grille, Cripens, Blowing Rock Cafe. I personally love Woodlands and couldn't understand how anyone couldn't. I love their country style ribs. They could use a better beer selection though. Peanuts out in foscoe has good bbq as well and they do a fish fry on fridays but I doubt many students make it there.

Probably way to much information in a very disorganized post but oh well.

Great information. Still don't like Woodlands barbecue, although I admit I haven't tried their ribs.

Touchdown Yosef
February 14th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Great information. Still don't like Woodlands barbecue, although I admit I haven't tried their ribs.

I always get the ribs, country style not baby back. I think I like the atmosphere as much as I like the food so that helps with my overall impression. If I were you I'd give it another try.

AshevilleApp2
February 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I always get the ribs, country style not baby back. I think I like the atmosphere as much as I like the food so that helps with my overall impression. If I were you I'd give it another try.

Not the Q. Maybe the ribs. And I really like the burgers.

Eaglesrus
February 14th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Greenville is one of the best cities in the southwhen it comes to food diversity!

So, what other cities would you put in that category?

rjg129
February 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Boone Drug....I may just have to make a trip up there just for lunch

Touchdown Yosef
February 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM

I'm jealous, I used to eat there all the time between classes in the COB.

AshevilleApp2
February 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Good food. There used to be a place called the Carolina Pharmacy, where the Boone Saloon is now, that made incredible maple donuts.