PDA

View Full Version : Matthews offered USA job!

Monarch History
February 12th, 2008, 07:06 PM
It is being reported that JMU's Mickey Matthews was offered the head coach position at South Alabama. I for one would like to see him stay at JMU.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-02-12-0311.html

Eight Legger
February 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
As a UR fan, I hope to God he stays where he is. We don't want a competent coach taking over the JMU program!

However, I will laugh myself to sleep if he is idiotic enough to go to USA.

Cobblestone
February 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Sounds like a job for Stowers.

dgreco
February 12th, 2008, 07:24 PM
seconded.

APPALACHIANstate
February 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Coach of the whole United States? That will work out well...

dgreco
February 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
if you put it that way John McCain ?

DunkandDukin
February 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
As a UR fan, I hope to God he stays where he is. We don't want a competent coach taking over the JMU program!

However, I will laugh myself to sleep if he is idiotic enough to go to USA.

As a JMU fan I really hope to God he stays as well, to add to that NC trophy case we have. Didn't see Clausen or anyone else in that revolving door of the Tick's accomplish that...xcoffeex

Eight Legger
February 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
As a JMU fan I really hope to God he stays as well, to add to that NC trophy case we have. Didn't see Clausen or anyone else in that revolving door of the Tick's accomplish that...xcoffeex

When our coaches leave, they go to Syracuse and Tennessee. The best yours could do is get interviews from North Texas and a school that doesn't even have a team yet. Ouch!

DunkandDukin
February 12th, 2008, 08:25 PM
When our coaches leave, they go to Syracuse and Tennessee. The best yours could do is get interviews from North Texas and a school that doesn't even have a team yet. Ouch!

Yep, about every three years. To be assts. And then leave for VMI. Ouch.
Don't they want to stick around and see the unveiling of the downsized stadium?

Eight Legger
February 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Actuallly, Coach Reid is now on the Miami Dolphins staff, and Coach Clawson will be the next HC at Tennessee.

SoCon48
February 12th, 2008, 08:54 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2008, 08:55 PM
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/15548212.html

jmuroller
February 12th, 2008, 09:08 PM
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/15548212.html

I think that was posted this afternoon. I'm guessing something will be in the paper in the morning.

Cocky
February 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM

He didn't get the Spain Park High School job.

Eyes of Old Main
February 12th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Actuallly, Coach Reid is now on the Miami Dolphins staff, and Coach Clawson will be the next HC at Tennessee.

Typically they fire all the assistants when they fire the head coach. If you think Fulmer is going to leave on good terms, you must not follow the SEC.

Actually, since so many SEC assistants move between schools so often, he probably wanted to sell out of Richmond while that stock was high and get in on the revolving door of SEC coaching.

Eyes of Old Main
February 12th, 2008, 11:24 PM
As for South Alabama, if they get Matthews, they'll have a good coach, but I don't think it would be an inspiring hire since he has zero name recognition down here. They would be much wiser to hire someone out of the SEC, or maybe Jeff Bower who is more of a known commodity. I did heat they went heavily after Chris Scelfo that was at Tulane, but he got a job withthe Falcons before they had a chance to sign him.

Eight Legger
February 13th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Typically they fire all the assistants when they fire the head coach. If you think Fulmer is going to leave on good terms, you must not follow the SEC.

Actually, since so many SEC assistants move between schools so often, he probably wanted to sell out of Richmond while that stock was high and get in on the revolving door of SEC coaching.

Actually, from what every single Tennessee fan told us during the search involving Clawson, Fullmer will NEVER be fired there. We thought the same thing, but they corrected us. I went to their boards, and heard it again.

If there was a chance of that, I agree it would have been riskier for Clawson to move. But Tennessee fans give Fullmer 2-4 more years before he retires, at which point Clawson may well be at the front of the line to replace him.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Actually, from what every single Tennessee fan told us during the search involving Clawson, Fullmer will NEVER be fired there. We thought the same thing, but they corrected us. I went to their boards, and heard it again.

If there was a chance of that, I agree it would have been riskier for Clawson to move. But Tennessee fans give Fullmer 2-4 more years before he retires, at which point Clawson may well be at the front of the line to replace him.

From a local sports fans perspective (not a UT fan) I think it would take something dreadful and disasterous for Fulmer to get fired. I will also say that I've heard Clawson is next in line for the job.

BDKJMU
February 13th, 2008, 10:57 AM
We now know Mickey is staying, but here's another article from today's Harrisonburg's Daily News before the breaking news update on their website that he was staying:
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=14948&CHID=3&sub=