PDA

View Full Version : Harrisonburg Daily News Record: Is Matthews Going?

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2008, 12:40 AM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=14926&CHID=3&sub=

andy7171
February 12th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Interesting. New program, new facilities, but about as bottom of the barrel IA conference as you can get. Could he be lured into thinking he could own the SunBelt and be bowl bound every year?

As a Towson fan, I hope he goes!

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I would think that this would be a step in the wrong direction for Mickey. If he got hired tomorrow, he wouldn't play a full I-A slate for five years. A lot of stuff can happen in that time. Plus, they're not going to be competitive for at least a few years after that. Of course, we all know Mickey thinks he can have then in a bowl by 2013.

NYJMUSupporter
February 12th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I will be sad to see him leave, but I can assure you that JMU will not miss a beat. There is a long list of very qualified candidates who would jump at the opportunity to come to Harrisonburg.

andy7171
February 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I will be sad to see him leave, but I can assure you that JMU will not miss a beat. There is a long list of very qualified candidates who would jump at the opportunity to come to Harrisonburg.

Especially with all the planned expansion and facility upgrade!

AshevilleApp2
February 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I haven't been to Harrisonburg yet. But I can't understand why anyone would leave a very good paying, secure, job in the Blue Ridge mountains to move to South Alabama.

Good luck with it, he seems to be an excellent coach.

andy7171
February 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I haven't been to Harrisonburg yet. But I can't understand why anyone would leave a very good paying, secure, job in the Blue Ridge mountains to move to South Alabama.

Good luck with it, he seems to be an excellent coach.

$200K goes a long way in Harrisonburg, but even further in Alabamy.

AshevilleApp2
February 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
$200K goes a long way in Harrisonburg, but even further in Alabamy.

True, but I'm guessing that Harrisonburg is a more pleasant place to live.

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM
True, but I'm guessing that Harrisonburg is a more pleasant place to live.

The beaches aren't as nice in Harrisonburg. :p

AshevilleApp2
February 12th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Yeah, I'm probably being unfair.

whitey
February 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I traveled to Mobile quite a few times for work in 2005 and 2006. I liked Mobile for what it is: one of those small somewhat charming Southern cities. I also liked Harrisonburg for what is it: a college town nestled in the Shenandoah Valley. It's hard to compare the two as it's apples to oranges in my opinion.

Eight Legger
February 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Honestly, even Matthews is not idiotic enough to make this move.

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Yeah, but neither are the Hurricanes...xlolx xlolx xlolx

Or the mountains..:) :) :)

CharlestonAppFan
February 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
If Mickey did leave, what would you JMU'ers think about it? Thumbs up or thumbs down? It looks like you guys had an awesome recruiting class this year and if you guys could just get over the first playoff game, a NC is a definite possibility xnodx .

Is Mickey the one holding you guys back? BTW, JMU was definitely the best team we played against last year xtwocentsx

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
If Mickey did leave, what would you JMU'ers think about it? Thumbs up or thumbs down? It looks like you guys had an awesome recruiting class this year and if you guys could just get over the first playoff game, a NC is a definite possibility xnodx .

Is Mickey the one holding you guys back? BTW, JMU was definitely the best team we played against last year xtwocentsx

Thumbs down at first. To me, this is a critical time in JMU football. With the addition of ODU to the CAA/Virginia landscape some stability would be nice.

I don't think Mickey's holding us back at all, it's just tough to win in the playoffs after being in a tough conference (which should make ASU all the more proud of their three in a row).

jmu_duke07
February 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM

It could be good, could be bad... I don't think Mickey would be the one to take us to D-1A but, who knows...

AshevilleApp2
February 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Thumbs down at first. To me, this is a critical time in JMU football. With the addition of ODU to the CAA/Virginia landscape some stability would be nice.

I don't think Mickey's holding us back at all, it's just tough to win in the playoffs after being in a tough conference (which should make ASU all the more proud of their three in a row).

JMU also had the misfortune of two very tough first round road games in the past two years.

ChantDad
February 12th, 2008, 01:38 PM
JMU also had the misfortune of two very tough first round road games in the past two years.

And MM has taken a lot of heat in the 'burg following his coaching decisions in that last App St game...he may be tired of it...or he may figure he has ridden this horse as far as it can take him...you never know what these guys are thinking sometimes.

DunkandDukin
February 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Thumbs waaay down for me, but i know of more than a few others that have been calling for him to be given the boot already. I think they're nuts, but the grass is always greener I guess. As far as I'm concerend it ought to be Bridgeforth-Mathews stadium for what he has been able to bring to our program.
FWIW, the south Alabama area is actually quite nice. BF moved there after looking at a travel guide thing about "best places to live" just packed up the family and moved on down. Lot's of good golf around and the Gulf.

Regardless, we will be fine but I'd rather be fine with the Mick at the helm.

bench
February 12th, 2008, 01:53 PM
And MM has taken a lot of heat in the 'burg following his coaching decisions in that last App St game...he may be tired of it...or he may figure he has ridden this horse as far as it can take him...you never know what these guys are thinking sometimes.

His decisions are what kept them in the game until the end. If they punt on more than one of those first six fourth downs they converted, it doesn't come down to a conversion coming up short or a goal line fumble, because it wouldn't have been close enough to matter.

Mickey get mad respect from me. He plays to win, unlike most coaches who play not to lose.

PantherRob82
February 12th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Seems like an odd career choice at this point.

henfan
February 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
It could be good, could be bad... I don't think Mickey would be the one to take us to D-1A but, who knows...

I don't think anyone yet born will be leading JMU into the FBS and Matthews understands that very basic fact.

This just doesn't seem like a great move for The Mick. Becoming the head man of a football launch typically doesn't lead to career advancement. It's a suicide mission. Sure, somebody's got to do it.

I just don't understand why Matthews would leave a stable and ever improving situation like JMU for this?! The Sun Belch.xsmhx

AshevilleApp2
February 12th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Thumbs waaay down for me, but i know of more than a few others that have been calling for him to be given the boot already. I think they're nuts, but the grass is always greener I guess. As far as I'm concerend it ought to be Bridgeforth-Mathews stadium for what he has been able to bring to our program.
FWIW, the south Alabama area is actually quite nice. BF moved there after looking at a travel guide thing about "best places to live" just packed up the family and moved on down. Lot's of good golf around and the Gulf.

Regardless, we will be fine but I'd rather be fine with the Mick at the helm.

Maybe South Alabama is a beautiful, I just get the image of sand, snakes and sand fleas in my mind. Oh, and oppressive heat. Either way, that's likely just my ignorance of the area.

If people at JMU are calling for him to get the ax that's a shame. But hey, there were a fair number of App fans who wanted Jerry Moore to get fired when we didn't make the playoffs in 2003-2004. They've quieted down somewhat since then.

mcveyrl
February 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I don't think anyone yet born will be leading JMU into the FBS and Matthews understands that very basic fact.

This just doesn't seem like a great move for The Mick. Becoming the head man of a football launch typically doesn't lead to career advancement. It's a suicide mission. Sure, somebody's got to do it.

I just don't understand why Matthews would leave a stable and ever improving situation like JMU for this?! The Sun Belch.xsmhx

xnodx xnodx

whitey
February 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
The thing to remember here is that 2 days prior to receiving a call from South Alabama Matthews was offered a contract extension by JMU. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. But either way, if Mickey is in the negotiating mood (and why wouldn't he be?) then maybe the best way to play his cards is to flirt with USA for a bit in an effort to get Bourne to up the offer on his extension.

UDBlueLotFan
February 12th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I'd hate to see him go. On our board, JMU week, we have an over/under when MM throws his visor down and stomps on it. It didn't take too long last yr, less than 10 mins into the game xlolx xsmiley_wix

Mountaineer
February 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I'd hate to see him go. On our board, JMU week, we have an over/under when MM throws his visor down and stomps on it. It didn't take too long last yr, less than 10 mins into the game xlolx xsmiley_wix

Haha. We've got the same type of guy in the SoCon. Furman's Bobby Lamb. The man can throw a tantrum with the best of 'em. xlolx :D

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7608/216574rm1.jpg

ChantDad
February 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM
His decisions are what kept them in the game until the end. If they punt on more than one of those first six fourth downs they converted, it doesn't come down to a conversion coming up short or a goal line fumble, because it wouldn't have been close enough to matter.

Mickey get mad respect from me. He plays to win, unlike most coaches who play not to lose.

I can't disagree with you...but the local media gave him H-E-DOUBLE-L

JMU_Fan_2007
February 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I can't disagree with you...but the local media gave him H-E-DOUBLE-L

The local media gives everyone associated with JMU hell. It's really quite terrible.

Didn't Matthews interview with North Texas last year? This whole article seems like an awful lot of speculation to me.

JMU2004
February 12th, 2008, 04:24 PM

after that terrible call, I was doing MUCH WORSE. xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Haha. We've got the same type of guy in the SoCon. Furman's Bobby Lamb. The man can throw a tantrum with the best of 'em. xlolx :D

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7608/216574rm1.jpg

Coaches I heard Matthews is buds with are:
-Beamer at VT
-Lamb-I remember reading before and after the 04' JMU quarterfinal win at Furman
-Moore at ASU...Matthews of course has the ties to the SoCon from his Marshall Days under Donnan.
-Cosgrove at Maine

I know there are some coaches out there who don't like him....

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Actually it was the 1st 4 4th downs he converted. The last one that JMU didn't get is the one people remember the most. One yard separated being called the greatest coach in the world with gigantic balls and a fuc*&ng idiot. (including many JMU fans)...shows you how typical fans are everywhere.

paward
February 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM
We sure would miss him in Richmond

jmuroller
February 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
We sure would miss him in Richmond

Number of games won by M. London = 0
Number of Nat'l Champ'shps won by M. Matthews = 1

I like our number better.

BearsCountry
February 12th, 2008, 09:22 PM
South Alabama for a start up job could be a good one. Southern Miss had all of their great teams by recruiting Mobile plus with Florida right there, the recruiting is very good, pretty good stadium, upcoming town - sounds like a nice challenege for the right coach.