PDA

View Full Version : grayshirting, prop/48 @ contact periods?

whoanellie
February 10th, 2008, 10:00 PM
"Lucy?, you have some'splain'n to do"?
need some help guys with recruiting for 2008 wraping up can somebody help me with / or prop 48 if there are such things and the terms and qualifications and standards of grayshirting? non qualifiers? and contats for 2009 class? xconfusedx

WVAPPmountaineer
February 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
My understanding of grayshirting is this (and I'm no expert, so I could be a little wrong) - A college is interested in said athlete for football but for one reason or another (lack of extra scholarhips, etc.) they ask the kid to grayshirt which could mean a couple of things - 1. the kid skips the first semester of college and then enrolls the 2nd semester for less than 12 hours - thus making him a part-time student and not using a year of eligibility or
2. he could enroll at a prep school for that first semester and then do the same for the second. Since he would not be a full time student he would most likely not be eligible for any type of financial help - thus the problem with doing this more than it is done --- I don't think the NCAA officially recognizes the term "grayshirt", so it is basically just a recruiting term ---

McTailGator
February 11th, 2008, 01:05 PM
"Lucy?, you have some'splain'n to do"?
need some help guys with recruiting for 2008 wraping up can somebody help me with / or prop 48 if there are such things and the terms and qualifications and standards of grayshirting? non qualifiers? and contats for 2009 class? xconfusedx

If a student is not a "Full Time" student (i.e, enrolls in 12 or less hours), than his elligability clock does not start officially with the NCAA. And that is regardless whether or not he is a Prop or not.

IF, he is a Prop., under the NCAA rules (Low HS GPA, or low ACT, or SAT), than he may not be offered a Grant-in-Aid for sports.

After he successfully completes 24 hours toward his degree, the NCAA will then qualify him thru the clearing house, and he is free to play for 4 of the next 5 years. IF he never enrolled as a full time student.

He can sign the LOI out of HS, pay for school his self and earn up to 19 hours at that school but is not bound to that school. If he earns 20 or more hours at the school, that school could make him get a release before he could play anywhere else.

IF, he can get into your school as a Prop, and decides to be a full time student, than he can not be offered a Grand in aid, and can not start practicing until he completes his 24 hours toward his degree.

So if he goes to Summer school right after HS graduation and get's 9 hours, and then 15 in the fall toward his degree, than he can start practicing in the spring, and will be elligable for the next 3 years. BUT can earn the 4th year back in the end IF he continues to make a significant progress toward his degree.