PDA

View Full Version : Nevada lineman comes clean: He made up recruiting story

BDKJMU
February 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I wonder if the kid will end up at a Big Sky or Great West school? Considering he's a pathological liar, maybe he shouldn't. He'll probably go to some JUCO or prep.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2008-02-06-reno-confession_N.htm

Seahawks Fan
February 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
The kid made a terrible mistake, but it's not like he stole money or hurt someone (other than himself). He needs counselling and hopefully a second chance.

Franks Tanks
February 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
The kid made a terrible mistake, but it's not like he stole money or hurt someone (other than himself). He needs counselling and hopefully a second chance.

They said on Sports Center this morning that Gerry Glanville and Portland State is interested in this kid now!

Seahawks Fan
February 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
They said on Sports Center this morning that Gerry Glanville and Portland State is interested in this kid now!

Perhaps something good comes out of this mess.

bobbythekidd
February 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
6-5 290 and noone was checking him out? He must have the speed of a herd of turtles.

I can't believe he had the nerve to do that to his family and coaches.

Franks Tanks
February 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM
6-5 290 and noone was checking him out? He must have the speed of a herd of turtles.

I can't believe he had the nerve to do that to his family and coaches.

It sounds like this kids High School coach didnt know how to get him noticed. He isnt very athletic surely but with his size he could at least play D-II ball.

Also his HS coach should have known that any and all coaches are heavily in contcat with a players coach. The fact that he didnt understand this is pretty surprising.

BDKJMU
February 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Here's more:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3234302
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3236039

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I just want to know what he "thought" would happen. Show up on Cal campus and just say "here I am?"

BDKJMU
February 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Here's video of it:
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3235769&categoryId=2564308

Ronbo
February 10th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hey the kid might end up at Portland State. He might have been crazy like a fox. If he hadn't pulled this stunt it looked like he was headed for JC or possibly NAIA or Div. III.

BDKJMU
February 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hey the kid might end up at Portland State. He might have been crazy like a fox. If he hadn't pulled this stunt it looked like he was headed for JC or possibly NAIA or Div. III.

Why in the heck did Rivals give this kid 2 stars? Normally 2 stars would be I-AA or non BCS I-A.

Ronbo
February 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Why in the heck did Rivals give this kid 2 stars? Normally 2 stars would be I-AA or non BCS I-A.

Because Rivals is notorious for ranking kids on hearsay and not actually going to see the kid play. They don't even have a recruitng analyst in the Northwest where we get 75% of our recruits.

Scout had him as a 1 star with no interest from any big schools.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3222122

Mountain Panther
February 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I wonder if the kid will end up at a Big Sky or Great West school? Considering he's a pathological liar, maybe he shouldn't. He'll probably go to some JUCO or prep.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2008-02-06-reno-confession_N.htm

Oh come on....what he did isn't so bad....I REALLY wanted to be a doctor in college so I wore a white coat to the local hospital, walked around and asked patients how they were doing. No harm, no foul!

xnonono2x

already123
February 11th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I dont really believe rivals....I have seen a 2 star athlete jump up to 4 after one weekend....

I have also seen a 1 star athlete start getting recruited by the Cal's, UCLA's and such and jump up to a 3 overnight!

Rivals can be a scam

mcveyrl
February 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
It sounds like this kids High School coach didnt know how to get him noticed. He isnt very athletic surely but with his size he could at least play D-II ball.

Also his HS coach should have known that any and all coaches are heavily in contcat with a players coach. The fact that he didnt understand this is pretty surprising.

My guess is that this is the first "prospect" the coach has had. Couldn't say for sure, but just my guess.

YoUDeeMan
February 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Sure, the coach might have been inexperienced, but it's hard to believe that anyone would focus on the coach's actions rather than on the kid's. xeyebrowx

Appinator
February 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I kind of feel bad for this kid. Probably after being the biggest and baldest thing in his group of friends, there was an expectation of going somewhere like Cal. Kids talking in HS can put a lot of pressure on one person and he just probably went with it. As questions came to him he probably kept making things up until there was no way he could come clean, although I find it hard to believe that with all of the hoopla that was shown on TV that his parents could be totally in the dark. His parents have to be complete idiots to not ask any questions like financial aid packages, where he was going to stay etc. This kid obviously had reality hit him in the face this week, but I'm glad he will have to have mandatory counseling to make sure he's ok.

Franks Tanks
February 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Sure, the coach might have been inexperienced, but it's hard to believe that anyone would focus on the coach's actions rather than on the kid's. xeyebrowx

Im not saying its the coaches fault of course--but he should have been highly suspicious that he never spoke to Beliotti or Tedford once during this whole thing!!! The first call that would be made during a recruiting process is the High School Head coach- the fact that we wasnt contacted once is pretty bad.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Talk about the mother of all twists:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37476

uofmman1122
February 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Talk about the mother of all twists:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37476
That's Glanville for you. xrolleyesx

BDKJMU
February 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I kind of feel bad for this kid. Probably after being the biggest and baldest thing in his group of friends, there was an expectation of going somewhere like Cal. Kids talking in HS can put a lot of pressure on one person and he just probably went with it. As questions came to him he probably kept making things up until there was no way he could come clean, although I find it hard to believe that with all of the hoopla that was shown on TV that his parents could be totally in the dark. His parents have to be complete idiots to not ask any questions like financial aid packages, where he was going to stay etc. This kid obviously had reality hit him in the face this week, but I'm glad he will have to have mandatory counseling to make sure he's ok.

Huhxconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

LacesOut
February 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
LMAO

That's actually pretty funny. I feel bad for no one involved with this.

Appinator
February 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Huhxconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

A 6'5 290 is a pretty big dude. I was saying that out of all of his friends at school, he was probably the most likely to be in this position, and it was expected of him.

aust42
February 12th, 2008, 03:43 PM
A 6'5 290 is a pretty big dude. I was saying that out of all of his friends at school, he was probably the most likely to be in this position, and it was expected of him.

He was probably asked by everybody where he was going to play college ball b/c of his size alone. He was living in fantasy world which implies he is dillusional and a mental case. But give him credit for pulling off a full press conference. Nice touch with the CAL and Oregon hat trick, certainly climatic at the time.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM
He was probably asked by everybody where he was going to play college ball b/c of his size alone. He was living in fantasy world which implies he is dillusional and a mental case. But give him credit for pulling off a full press conference. Nice touch with the CAL and Oregon hat trick, certainly climatic at the time.

If he is a mental case, he may be going to Portland State in spite of that fact.