PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pigskin

seantaylor
February 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Socon recruiting classes. Hmmm.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11620&cat=exclusives

Eaglesrus
February 9th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Wonder if Samford's running back that weighs 1298 is very fast?

beauvighn
February 9th, 2008, 08:53 AM
It looks to me like he can at least out run everyone to the buffet.xnodx

Eyes of Old Main
February 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM

That's how they plan to make their mark on the conference. By leaving impressions on everyone's fields where that guy runs.

Eyes of Old Main
February 9th, 2008, 12:10 PM
It's nice that they listed everyone's signees and the write up on GSU's class is good. But why can't they manage a little coverage of everyone else's classes?

PaladinFan
February 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
It's nice that they listed everyone's signees and the write up on GSU's class is good. But why can't they manage a little coverage of everyone else's classes?

Because GSU's class is the best FCS class of all time. You didn't hear?

Eyes of Old Main
February 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Because GSU's class is the best FCS class of all time. You didn't hear?

I wouldn't expect anything less from a program with their storied tradition.

Have you heard that they've won 6 national championships?

Syntax Error
February 9th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Socon recruiting classes.http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37293
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=90144

What took them so long?

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't expect anything less from a program with their storied tradition.

xlolx

GreatAppSt
February 10th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Really? that's a very impressive accomplishment for a podunk schoolfrom Nowheresville Eastern Georgia. Props to them.xbowx

Go...gate
February 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Is that before or after breakfast? xsmiley_wix

Eaglesrus
February 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Really? that's a very impressive accomplishment for a podunk schoolfrom Nowheresville Eastern Georgia. Props to them.xbowx

xlolx xlolx xlolx someone whose school is in Boone said that someone else's school is in Nowheresville xlolx xlolx xlolx

GreatAppSt
February 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx someone whose school is in Boone said that someone else's school is in Nowheresville xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tell me when Satinsboro has destinations like these then we'll compare.xlolxxnodx
http://www.houndears.com/result.php?table=residential

http://www.realestatebook.com/results.aspx?CSearchType=City&CCity=Linville&CState=NC&CCountry=USA

http://www.elkriverclub.com/realestate.html?aLink=realestate%2Ehtml&origColor=%5Bobject+Object%5D

http://www.elkriverclub.com/jetport.html?aLink=jetport%2Ehtml&origColor=%5Bobject+Object%5D

Eaglesrus
February 10th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Tell me when Satinsboro has destinations like these then we'll compare.xlolxxnodx

http://www.realestatebook.com/results.aspx?CSearchType=City&CCity=Linville&CState=NC&CCountry=USA

http://www.elkriverclub.com/realestate.html?aLink=realestate%2Ehtml&origColor=%5Bobject+Object%5D

http://www.elkriverclub.com/jetport.html?aLink=jetport%2Ehtml&origColor=%5Bobject+Object%5D

Tell me when you can find a locksmith, an open car dealership or are able to rent a car in Boone on Sunday, not to mention find a decent meal, and then we'll compare. Talk about podunk.

Baldy
February 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Tell me when you can find a locksmith, an open car dealership...
...or a dentist. xlolx

seantaylor
February 10th, 2008, 11:43 PM

Boone is a **** hole. Easily the worst skiing in the country.

Tribe4SF
February 11th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Tell me when you can find a locksmith, an open car dealership or are able to rent a car in Boone on Sunday, not to mention find a decent meal, and then we'll compare. Talk about podunk.

I spent a day and a half in Boone in '01.

I fasted.xnodx

seantaylor
February 11th, 2008, 05:38 AM

I fasted.xnodx

I hear you. Boone has to have the least amount of national chains than any city in the country. I guess that could be a good thing, but the local food was terrible.

GreatAppSt
February 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Judging by the responses I stabbed deeply into a vein of truth.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Eaglesrus
February 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Judging by the responses I stabbed deeply into a vein of truth.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Interesting, I would say it's just the opposite. Guess you just don't want to admit the truth. xnodx

Touchdown Yosef
February 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I hear you. Boone has to have the least amount of national chains than any city in the country. I guess that could be a good thing, but the local food was terrible.

Boone and the surrounding area's have some great local food. Woodlands is on the cheap but there are a plethora of fine dining establishments well worthy of their acclaim.

and who wants every chain restaurant that can be found in every town in the country. I will continue to support places like Boone Baglery, Boone Drug, and The Ham Shoppe every time I am in Boone.

AshevilleApp2
February 11th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Boone and the surrounding area's have some great local food. Woodlands is on the cheap but there are a plethora of fine dining establishments well worthy of their acclaim.

and who wants every chain restaurant that can be found in every town in the country. I will continue to support places like Boone Baglery, Boone Drug, and The Ham Shoppe every time I am in Boone.

Not to mention Pepper's and the Daniel Boone Inn.

CharlestonAppFan
February 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM

http://www.danlbooneinn.com/menu.html
mmmm...love the restaurant xthumbsupx

http://www.danlbooneinn.com/images/food_pic.jpg

CharlestonAppFan
February 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM

I fasted.xnodx

must not have looked very hard......xsmhx

For over 40 years, Dan'l Boone Inn has been serving Boone and the high country delicious homecooked meals, just like you remember at grandma's house. Our family style meals begin with a salad in the summer and soup in the winter. Three meats and five vegetables are served along with biscuits, preserves, dessert and beverage. A full family style breakfast is served on Saturdays and Sundays.
Dan'l Boone Inn has recently been honored by both Southern Living Magazine and Our State Magazine for our country cuisine. The restaurant placed third in Southern Living in the reader's choice awards for country cooking restaurants. We also won first place among readers of Our State Magazine for Family Dining/Country Cooking and third place under Best Restaurant in North Carolina.

Touchdown Yosef
February 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Yes, there are quite a few I left out feel free to add to the list. I could never understand why people would go on vacation in the mountains and then wait over an hour to eat at outback just like they would at home. Especially when Woodlands is right next door, I would happily wait an hour to eat there.

Eaglesrus
February 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
No smack here....I am amazed! We weren't at all impressed with the Daniel Boone Inn the one time we ate there and have said we'd never go back, but if y'all think it's that good I guess we'll have to try it again. We did find some restaurants we liked in Banner Elk.

Appinator
February 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Yes, there are quite a few I left out feel free to add to the list. I could never understand why people would go on vacation in the mountains and then wait over an hour to eat at outback just like they would at home. Especially when Woodlands is right next door, I would happily wait an hour to eat there.

That Outback is horrible. They have the worst management in the world there, which leads to insane turnover, and very little experienced staff. If they can stay on staff long enough, employees there are usually over worked an extreme amount and get a steady stream of "locals" from 45 min away in the real middle of nowhere who tip terribly. Go to Woodlands, The Peddler, or somewhere else in Boone for a good meal.

AshevilleApp2
February 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
No smack here....I am amazed! We weren't at all impressed with the Daniel Boone Inn the one time we ate there and have said we'd never go back, but if y'all think it's that good I guess we'll have to try it again. We did find some restaurants we liked in Banner Elk.

I have to admit that it's been several years since I've eaten there. It was definitely good in the past.

JDC325
February 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I see the hater aid flows even when it is not a GSU proclaiming something good about GSU. You think for App fans anyway the petty jealousy and defensiveness would have subsided a little after getting half way to our NC total guess not.....xlolx and Boone please it is no less po dunk than Statesboro is and the skiing there sucks.

AshevilleApp2
February 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I see the hater aid flows even when it is not a GSU proclaiming something good about GSU. You think for App fans anyway the petty jealousy and defensiveness would have subsided a little after getting half way to our NC total guess not.....xlolx and Boone please it is no less po dunk than Statesboro is and the skiing there sucks.

xrolleyesx xwhistlex

mtnman
February 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM
well you dont have to come to boone, but if you do feel free bring you own and cook for youselfs,i think this little ol hick town does have food loin,lowes food .man we are lucky we dont have to get our food at mast store anymore for those that are as old as i am,the mountain house,peddler,mokotos [sp], are all good the only thing boone is messing is good sea food,mikes the only one it sure could be better.i wished everyone would think the skiing suks here and stay at home or aleast stop coming to boone.

SuperEagle
February 12th, 2008, 04:48 PM
must not have looked very hard......xsmhx

For over 40 years, Dan'l Boone Inn has been serving Boone and the high country delicious homecooked meals, just like you remember at grandma's house. Our family style meals begin with a salad in the summer and soup in the winter. Three meats and five vegetables are served along with biscuits, preserves, dessert and beverage. A full family style breakfast is served on Saturdays and Sundays.
Dan'l Boone Inn has recently been honored by both Southern Living Magazine and Our State Magazine for our country cuisine. The restaurant placed third in Southern Living in the reader's choice awards for country cooking restaurants. We also won first place among readers of Our State Magazine for Family Dining/Country Cooking and third place under Best Restaurant in North Carolina.
3 years ago we went to eat there and got there pretty early (I thought) Friday night. And the line was out the door. People everywhere. Would have liked to have eaten there though. It smelled good. I'll have to try it next time.
btw, I know we're rivals but I found Boone to be a very pleasant place. And the place we ate at (can't remember the name) was good as well. It was a local place but that's all I remember.
I love the Southern style restaurants. There's a place in Statesboro, The Beaver House, that has pretty good Southern Style food.

AlphaSigMD
February 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM
3 years ago we went to eat there and got there pretty early (I thought) Friday night. And the line was out the door. People everywhere. Would have liked to have eaten there though. It smelled good. I'll have to try it next time.
btw, I know we're rivals but I found Boone to be a very pleasant place. And the place we ate at (can't remember the name) was good as well. It was a local place but that's all I remember.
I love the Southern style restaurants. There's a place in Statesboro, The Beaver House, that has pretty good Southern Style food.

The line is always out the door. Regardless, its usually not a very long line(there is VERY little room to stand inside), so you would likely be seated in around 10-20 minutes...much less than what you wait at most places.

P.S. (to a previous post, not yours super eagle) its hard to find a decent meal in NYC on most weekend days as well without waiting for an hour. So one using this as an argument in favor of a town being po-dunk is quite counterintuitive.

There are mountains in and around NY, NJ that are MUCH worse than appalachian ski mountain. Admitted, appalachian and hawksnest are pretty bad...but Sugar Mtn and Beech are fairly nice. Beats the hell out of nothing though...which is (last time I checked) what statesboro has for skiing.

Eaglesrus
February 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM
The line is always out the door. Regardless, its usually not a very long line(there is VERY little room to stand inside), so you would likely be seated in around 10-20 minutes...much less than what you wait at most places.

P.S. (to a previous post, not yours super eagle) its hard to find a decent meal in NYC on most weekend days as well without waiting for an hour. So one using this as an argument in favor of a town being po-dunk is quite counterintuitive.

Last comments from me in this thread: I don't see how you can't be referring to super eagle in that he is the only one who has mentioned the length of the wait in this thread. Again, I ate at the Daniel Boone Inn; didn't mind the wait, just didn't think the meal was any good. Finally, please remember that this is the discussion board and it was an App fan that started all this about which town is podunk and nowheresville.

AshevilleApp2
February 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the information. That may be the basis for a good thread.

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I did spend a week in Statesboro one night.

The only restaurants I've ever eaten in Boone are in Blowing Rock.

Can we agree that Greenville has the best dining in the SoCon? Well, I guess we have to see what Birmingham has to offer.

AshevilleApp2
February 13th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Can we agree that Greenville has the best dining in the SoCon? Well, I guess we have to see what Birmingham has to offer.

How can we agree when we've never eaten there?

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM
How can we agree when we've never eaten there?

you've never eaten in downtown Greenville? Shame.

AppMan
February 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM

We just don't have anyone asking for road kill with a side dish of peanut butter & crackers.

Eaglesrus
February 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Well, this is what I get for stating that I had made my last comment earlier, but.....isn't Furman in Traveler's Rest?:) Anyway, personally I'd say that I've eaten at some very good restaurants in Greenville, but I think that Charleston would give it a run for the money.

CharlestonAppFan
February 13th, 2008, 07:51 AM

Sorry but I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one xnodx . Have you ever eaten in Charleston? xeyebrowx Either downtown or Mt. Pleasant or Folly Beach or Isle of Palms? I'll give you that Greenville has a nice downtown with a few good restaurants, but I think most would disagree that it is better than down here xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Well, this is what I get for stating that I had made my last comment earlier, but.....isn't Furman in Traveler's Rest?:) Anyway, personally I'd say that I've eaten at some very good restaurants in Greenville, but I think that Charleston would give it a run for the money.

If money is what you want to give, then it sure is.

CID1990
February 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry but I'm definitely going to have to disagree with you on that one xnodx . Have you ever eaten in Charleston? xeyebrowx Either downtown or Mt. Pleasant or Folly Beach or Isle of Palms? I'll give you that Greenville has a nice downtown with a few good restaurants, but I think most would disagree that it is better than down here xsmiley_wix

I spend a lot of time in Greenville, and I have never entertained the idea that the dining up there is better than in Charleston. Heck, the only 5-star restaurant in SC is in Charleston (actually, it is in Summerville if you want to get picky). There are a number of 4-star places.

I am sure that Greenvegas might beat Charleston in a category or two if you break it down (like fine steakhouses), but overall I would say that Charleston has the better dining.

fuEMO
February 13th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Dining in Greenville and Charleston is like comparing apples to oranges.

Charleston has too many great places to eat to even try to name. So does Greenville, and sorry CID1990 Greenville's steakhouses would never be on my list. American Grocery, High Cotton, Devereauxs, O… I could name a few more.

Speaking of Charleston I had a couple of great dinners in Charleston during my business visit this week. Fish, Basil, and Cypress. I wish I could just pick Basil up and drop it in downtown Gville.

Block-A
February 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I lived in Boone for a long time. I have eaten at the Daniel Boone Inn restaurant once. I will never eat there again. I will continue to laugh derisively at the fools, er, patrons, that line up outside to get a seat on the weekends.

Unfortunately, the Mountain House, home of the finest hangover breakfast ever, is gone.

Touchdown Yosef
February 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I lived in Boone for a long time. I have eaten at the Daniel Boone Inn restaurant once. I will never eat there again. I will continue to laugh derisively at the fools, er, patrons, that line up outside to get a seat on the weekends.

Unfortunately, the Mountain House, home of the finest hangover breakfast ever, is gone.

Moutain House is gone???? Every time I am up there their parking lot is packed.

seantaylor
February 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM

Not even close. That would be Charleston hands down.