PDA

View Full Version : FCS and FBS regular/annual meetings?

ERASU2113
February 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I was just thinking about it and wasn't sure how many teams regularly meet between different divisions.

Like ASU and Wake, doesn't happen anymore.

I can't think of any schools that meet annually or ever other season for that matter.

I've seen GSU and UGA a couple of times, but how often do you guys meet?

Are there any out there?

To turn into more of a discussion, who would you want your school to play? Better yet, what matches would you like to see happen regularly?

I for one would love to see happen, at least, once every two years:
ASU v. UNC/NC State
Furman/Wofford v. Clemson
GSU v. UGA
JMU v. UVA/VT
to name a few.

Syntax Error
February 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Albany vs. Buffalo.
UMass vs. Boston College.
Cal Poly vs. Cal Berkeley.
Youngstown State vs. Ball State.
McNeese State vs. La. Monroe/Lafayette.
Northern Iowa vs. Iowa/State.
Southern Illinois vs. Northern Illinois.

patssle
February 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM
SHSU vs. University of Houston

We played them in 2005. We had a GREAT showing of fans...almost as many as theirs. We played them pretty well until our QB went out with an injury...then it was downhill from there. They are beatable.

slycat
February 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
we have played baylor twice in the last 4 years.

crusader11
February 8th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I would like to see Holy Cross play Army on a regular basis. HC played at Army about 4 or 5 years ago and beat them, it was a great afternoon up at West Point with a strong HC showing. Army competes in the Patriot League for all sports except for Football, so it makes sense for them to at least give us a game every few years.

poly51
February 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Albany vs. Buffalo.
UMass vs. Boston College.
Youngstown State vs. Ball State.
McNeese State vs. La. Monroe/Lafayette.
Northern Iowa vs. Iowa/State.
Southern Illinois vs. Northern Illinois.

I would love to see Cal Poly playing Cal. The closest they have come is 1941 when Cal Poly played the Cal Ramblers. That was Cal's JV team.

This year Cal Poly plays San Diego State for the 2nd time in 3 years. They have met 23 times over the years but this will be only the 2nd time since 1967.

I would really like to see Cal Poly play Fresno State every year. They played almost every year until 1985. 41 times in all. The last 5 games were all played in Fresno which is fine. They are the closest football playing school to Cal Poly and Poly is the closest to them. 140 miles.

D1scout
February 8th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Holy Cross Vs Army
Youngstown State vs Kent State
Youngstown State vs Akron
Southern Illinois vs Northern Illinois
Albany vs Buffalo
UMass vs UConn
UMass vs Boston College

DTSpider
February 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Richmond will be playing UVA every other year starting next year (4 times) with the "odd years" alternating between Duke & Vanderbilt.

PantherRob82
February 8th, 2008, 09:45 PM
We play Iowa or Iowa State almost every year.

spoogemcgee18
February 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I wish VT would sack up and play ASU every year in "The Battle of the Blue Ridge"

ucdtim17
February 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM

I know the symmetry is tempting, but it's not Cal Berkeley. It's Cal or it's Berkeley.

Please note that it is the only UC school you can call "Cal" anything

BearsCountry
February 9th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Missouri State normally rotates between Oklahoma State, Tulsa, and Arkansas. Wish Mizzou/Missouri State could be done.

Syntax Error
February 9th, 2008, 04:10 AM
I know the symmetry is tempting, but it's not Cal Berkeley. It's Cal or it's Berkeley.

Please note that it is the only UC school you can call "Cal" anythingYeah, U of Cal vs. Cal St.

813Jag
February 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Southern played Tulane twice, wish we could pick that game up again. The Jags play Houston this year.

AZGrizFan
February 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Montana used to play Idaho almost evey year after Idaho went I-A. But, when Montana kept beating them, Idaho decided it wasn't such a good idea. xlolx xlolx xlolx

ngineer
February 9th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Lehigh and Rutgers used to have a very competitive and spirited rivalry. The last game between the schools was 1977. The last ten meetings between the two were split 5-5. While the Scarlet Knights have 'upgraded' since then, I think we could still give them a run for the money.

already123
February 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
NAU plays either UofA or ASU every year...

Both are not going to renew the contract anymore based on recent events

lizrdgizrd
February 11th, 2008, 10:42 AM
NAU plays either UofA or ASU every year...

Both are not going to renew the contract anymore based on recent events

Why wouldn't we play NAU again? Last year was a good game. :D

andy7171
February 11th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Delaware and Navy have played each other fairly regularly since the mid 1980's. They may even have a winning record over the Middies.

bluehenbillk
February 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Delaware and Navy have played each other fairly regularly since the mid 1980's. They may even have a winning record over the Middies.

UD & Navy are scheduled to play every other year I believe through 2015.

HensRock
February 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM

The UD/Navy series is actually tied at 7-7. Navy won the first meeting in 1931. All other meetings have been since 1985 where the Hens hold a 7-6 edge. Some of the earlier games were even played in Newark, but not since '92.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/delaware/opponents_records.php?teamid=2173

carney2
February 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Lehigh and Rutgers used to have a very competitive and spirited rivalry. The last game between the schools was 1977. The last ten meetings between the two were split 5-5. While the Scarlet Knights have 'upgraded' since then, I think we could still give them a run for the money.

Actually, back in the days of the leather helmet, Lafayette, Lehigh and Rutgers were known as the Middle Three. (The Big three were Harvard, Princeton and Yale, while the Little Three were Amherst, Wesleyan and Williams.) Lafayette has played Rutgers 72 times, winning 30, and I would bet that the Lehigh-Rutgers rivalry has about the same number of games.

EKU05
February 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM
EKU signed a two game series with Cincinnati. Game one was in 2006, and game two is next season. I think there's a good chance we may see more games in the future as well...the two schools are roughly 90 minutes apart.

Screamin_Eagle174
February 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
I (and I think most everyone), would love to see Eastern play WSU; short road trip would save on traveling expenses, and not to mention the Wulff factor! It would have been nice to play the cougs when Doba was coaching them... good chance the Eags would have come away with one or two wins... not as likely with Wulff at the helms now.