PDA

View Full Version : 2007 playoffs question

thirdgendin
February 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
In your opinion, if Georgia Southern had replaced Division II West Georgia with a low-level FCS school such as Savannah State or VMI, would they have made the playoffs over a fifth CAA school?

That would give GSU a 7-4 all DI record with losses to Colorado State, Furman, Chattanooga and Elon with wins over Wofford and Appalachian State.

Appstate29
February 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I think so

AZGrizFan
February 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I don't think there's much doubt about that.

But the loss to Chatty REALLY hurt them. xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
February 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Ga Southern should have beaten Chatty...

The Eagles would've had a playoff ticket punched. Playing an FBS squad at the end of the season with so much on the line with your team so out of gas was not the greatest idea in the world, though I am sure there was no choice...

SeattleGriz
February 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Yes.

I believe on tradition alone, it would have carried them into the playoffs. Even though GSU has been down a little the last couple of years, they still have the aura.

Syntax Error
February 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
They certainly had some good wins, beating the eventual champ and Wofford. I think Elon would have made it too and possibly even Liberty if either would have qualified..

catdaddy2402
February 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
IMO there's no doubt. 8 Div I wins, including wins over App St and Wofford, there would be a lot of explaining to do if you were left out.

GannonFan
February 8th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I'm going to go with no, partly to be a contrarian, and partly because of the schedule. First of all, to correct the poster from above, it would only be 7 DI wins, not 8. Next, GSU had 2 bad losses - to Chatty and to Furman. UNH only had one bad loss to Northeastern. Furthermore, UNH beat their FBS team in Marshall while GSU lost to Colorado St (both of those FBS teams were fairly equal). And GSU's loss to Furman brings in a common opponent connection - Hofstra beat Furman, and UNH drilled Hofstra.

Hey, I think it's very likely that the committee would've taken GSU over UNH just from a conference balancing standpoint, giving the SoCon 3 and the CAA 4 would do that. But let's not pretend that the only difference between the two was that UNH played Iona and GSU played a bad DII team.

Eyes of Old Main
February 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Stranger things have happened, but I think they yould have gotten in. I think Elon would have gotten in over the 5th CAA team as well had they been eligible.

mvemjsunpx
February 9th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, they likely would have, but they probably shouldn't have.

Their credentials would have been pretty comparable to Eastern Illinois.

AZGrizFan
February 9th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I'm going to go with no, partly to be a contrarian, and partly because of the schedule. First of all, to correct the poster from above, it would only be 7 DI wins, not 8. Next, GSU had 2 bad losses - to Chatty and to Furman. UNH only had one bad loss to Northeastern. Furthermore, UNH beat their FBS team in Marshall while GSU lost to Colorado St (both of those FBS teams were fairly equal). And GSU's loss to Furman brings in a common opponent connection - Hofstra beat Furman, and UNH drilled Hofstra.

Hey, I think it's very likely that the committee would've taken GSU over UNH just from a conference balancing standpoint, giving the SoCon 3 and the CAA 4 would do that. But let's not pretend that the only difference between the two was that UNH played Iona and GSU played a bad DII team.

That's why I voted Yes, despite your logic above. xcoolx

ngineer
February 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I don't think there's much doubt about that.

But the loss to Chatty REALLY hurt them. xeyebrowx

Yes, their chances would certainly have been improved, but that loss was a real killer when playing on the 'bubble'.

blueballs
February 9th, 2008, 09:51 AM
But let's not pretend that the only difference between the two was that UNH played Iona and GSU played a bad DII team.

Care to elaborate further on that?

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 9th, 2008, 10:01 AM

If GSU's 8th win had been Furman, we would have gotten in as we would have won the autobid for the conference. If the 8th win had been Colorado State, I also think we'd have a better case than UNH. With the win being over Elon or Chatty, it seems to be close, but I don't think the committee would go with a 5th CAA before going for a 3rd SoCon.