PDA

View Full Version : UMass Signings

Col Hogan
February 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM
AMHERST, Mass. - Football coach Don Brown has announced the following additions to the UMass program for the 2008 season. The class is one of the tops in the nation with a mix of transfers and incoming freshmen. Two of the players are currently enrolled at UMass for the Spring 2008 semester while the other 14 will come to Amherst for the first time in August.

2008 UMass Football Newcomers

Player Pos. Yr. Ht. Wt. Hometown/High School/Previous School
Adedaji Adeoba LB Fr. 6-0 205 Hollywood, Fla./Hollywood Hills H.S.
Chris Chamberlin LB Fr. 6-2 240 South Easton, Mass./Oliver Ames H.S./Canterbury School (Conn.)
Julian Colarusso WR Fr. 6-4 200 Quincy, Mass./Catholic Memorial H.S.
Korrey Davis TB Fr. 5-10 185 Lynchburg, Va./Heritage H.S.
Corey Eason* DL RFr. 6-5 280 Mansfield, Mass./Mansfield H.S./Boston College
Terrance Farris LB Jr. 6-0 195 Mapleton, Ga./South Cobb H.S./Dean College (Mass.)
Kurt Filler LB Jr. 6-3 210 Oakley, Calif./Freedom H.S./College of San Mateo
Tyler Holmes LB Fr. 6-0 195 Blacksburg, Va./Blacksburg H.S.
Raymond Jones DL RSo. 6-4 275 Sicklerville, N.J./Woodrow Wilson H.S./Delaware
Stephane Milhim OL Fr. 6-4 300 Pembroke Pines, Fla./Charles Flanagan H.S.
Sean O'Connor OL Fr. 6-6 275 Valhalla, N.Y./Iona Prep
Gilbert Parson OL Fr. 6-5 310 New Milford, Conn./Canterbury School
Quinton Sales OL Fr. 6-3 280 Fort Washington, Md./Friendly H.S.
Darren Thellen DB Fr. 6-2 190 Brockton, Mass./Brockton H.S.
Charles Thompson DL Fr. 6-3 290 Teaneck, N.J./Teaneck H.S.
Warren Wilson* WR RSo. 6-1 180 Lawrence, Mass./New Hampton Prep (N.H.)/Boston College
* Enrolled at UMass Spring 2008

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020608aaa.html

BluehenJK
February 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Was Ray Jones at UMASS last year and sat out the required year per NCAA rules?

Col Hogan
February 7th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Was Ray Jones at UMASS last year and sat out the required year per NCAA rules?

I don't have access to acedemic records...but he last played college ball for Delaware in 2006...

he did not play for anybody in 2007, and he's listed as a sophmore...so I assume he simply sat out the year with no academics...

Minuteman87
February 8th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Another possible UMass recruit, waiting to see if he gets into Stanford!

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=727551

Oh, and you should probably check BC's recruits. A few are likley to be Minutemen in a year or two! (just kidding)

Minuteman87
February 25th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Another signee, had a couple FBS schools after him.
Looks like he was an RB in high school, but UMass has him listed as a safety. Welcome to Amherst Kumar!

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022508aaf.html

Cobblestone
February 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Impressive list. Some big hogs up front.

D1scout
February 25th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Impressive list. Some big hogs up front.

Cobb, wait until you see the size of the "hogs" UMass puts up front this coming season. I was told by one of the trainers that the offensive line will average about 6' 5" and over 300 pounds from tackle to tackle. That's a lot of meat up front especially for a 1AA program.xnodx

Brad82
February 26th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Rhody recruiting larger players also. Rizzi thought they needed to be bigger. Speed,quickness and strength on DL though. BU used to have NG's under 200 lbs. in 84-85!

Tribe4SF
February 26th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Rhody recruiting larger players also. Rizzi thought they needed to be bigger. Speed,quickness and strength on DL though. BU used to have NG's under 200 lbs. in 84-85!

Rhody will need bigger o-linemen as they transition that offense. There's still no substitute for good feet though. The biggest college o-line I ever saw was Jackson State when they came to W&M for the first round in '96. Averaged 6'5" and 330, but were ineffective against a very quick Tribe D.

Cobblestone
February 26th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Rhody will need bigger o-linemen as they transition that offense. There's still no substitute for good feet though. The biggest college o-line I ever saw was Jackson State when they came to W&M for the first round in '96. Averaged 6'5" and 330, but were ineffective against a very quick Tribe D.

Right on! With Stowers and his f'd up option BOTH gone the O-Line is going to be much more of a factor since it obviously looks like we'll be passing much, much more. Rizzi has gotten some good sized WR's and a QB who looks to have impressive passing stats.

On defense, if we're not big then we'd better be quick and have a DC with some creativity.

I know one thing, if I'm a UMASS QB I'm going to feel pretty good about the big uglies that Brown recruited.

D1scout
February 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Right on! With Stowers and his f'd up option BOTH gone the O-Line is going to be much more of a factor since it obviously looks like we'll be passing much, much more. Rizzi has gotten some good sized WR's and a QB who looks to have impressive passing stats.

On defense, if we're not big then we'd better be quick and have a DC with some creativity.

I know one thing, if I'm a UMASS QB I'm going to feel pretty good about the big uglies that Brown recruited.

Cobb, I have been reviewing the rosters of the CAA teams to get an idea of who is and who isn't returning next season on both sides of the line. xcoffeex From returning starters to last season's "back-up" men, along with probables projected from "Two-a-days" last Aug., I find that UMass will probably have one of the biggest O-Lines in the CAA. They could average 6' 5" and 300+ lbs. xbowx From what I have been able to gather from my sources they are supposedly pretty quick as well.

Also, I think Brown is attracting these "Big Uglies" because of the success he has had at UMass since his arrival.xnodx This year's recruiting class of O-linemen by height and weight testifies to this. As Brown likes to "Red-shirt" all his linemen, I didn't figure any of them in my observations for the size and weight of the O-line.xrulesx

Your're right about how good Coen should feel about his line this coming season.:)

Tribe4SF
February 26th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Brown won't know for a while whether his o-line will be good, or not. He loses Diana, Austin and Hopkins, as well as the top guard backup in Stolte. Two all-conference guys, and a multi-year starter is alot to replace.

As to the size thing, I was surprised he signed so many OLs. They had a number come in last year, just as big as the new crop. Maybe they are disappointed in last years group.

D1scout
February 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Brown won't know for a while whether his o-line will be good, or not. He loses Diana, Austin and Hopkins, as well as the top guard backup in Stolte. Two all-conference guys, and a multi-year starter is alot to replace.

As to the size thing, I was surprised he signed so many OLs. They had a number come in last year, just as big as the new crop. Maybe they are disappointed in last years group.

I don't think Brown is disappointed in last year's group.xnonox I think he is the kind of coach that saves for a rainy day. :) My view is that he is probably likes rushing, sees Coen leaving after this year, so he is preparing for the future with so many O-linemen and big 0-linemen. Besides that, you can never have enough of the "Big-uglies" up front.xrulesx

Tribe4SF
February 28th, 2008, 11:06 PM
With only 63 scholarships to give, none of us get to stockpile too much of anything. You recruit where your needs are, and clearly he saw a need for o-linemen this year.

Col Hogan
February 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
With only 63 scholarships to give, none of us get to stockpile too much of anything. You recruit where your needs are, and clearly he saw a need for o-linemen this year.

And that's the truth.....