PDA

View Full Version : WSSU Football Inks 10 To National Letters Of Intent

raginram
February 6th, 2008, 10:41 PM
http://wssurams.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020608aaa.html

WINSTON-SALEM, NC - The Winston-Salem State University football program announced the signing of 10 student-athletes to National Letters of Intent on 2008 signing day on Wednesday in what many have described as one of the most talent-laden classes in WSSU history.

The Rams inked student-athletes from six states and the District of Columbia as WSSU signed three athletes from North Carolina, two from Virginia, one from Washington, D.C., and one athlete each from the states of Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama and Maryland.

"This is probably one of the best recruiting classes that I have had in my 15-year tenure. I may have had individual athletes with higher acclaim but when I look at the scope of this recruiting class, as a whole, I am truly pleased with the level of talent that we have been able to bring to Winston-Salem State University.

Ninety-nine percent of these kids are eligible to play and are exceptionally academically and athletically sounds. I am really, really happy about this recruiting class as we continue to bring in student-athletes that will help move us forward in the transition to NCAA Division I status.

Coach Gaither, our recruiting coordinator did a masterful job of putting this class together. To be able to bring this level of talent into our program, I really have to commend my coaching staff. I am really fortunate to have a staff as dedicated and hard working as these guys. This just shows the level of dedication and hard work that everyone on my staff and in the athletic department has put in as we continue to move forward in our transition." WSSU head coach Kermit Blount added in interviews on Wednesday.

The Rams, who finished their first full season of MEAC membership this past year while turning in a 6-5 overall record continue in their transition to the NCAA Division I level by adding talent to an already powerful roster.

WSSU coaches anticipate the signing of more student-athletes in the next several days. Stay tuned to WSSURams.com for future updates.

Name Ht. Wt. Pos. Hometown High School

Cameron Demps 5'11" 180 DB/PR Suwanee, GA Peachtree Ridge

Dallas McDaniel 6'3" 325 OL/DL Lynchburg, VA Heritage

Darren Everette 6'4" 205 LB Murfreesboro, NC Hertford County

Dominique Fitzgerald 6'0" 180 WR Danville, VA G. Wash. Danville

Branden Williams 6'1" 190 QB Seale, AL Glenwood

Akiem Smart 6'4" 260 DL Fairfax, SC Allendale-Fairfax

Eric Wiggins 6'4" 290 OL Washington, D.C. Gonzaga College

David Luckett 6'3" 280 OL Pomfret, MD McDonough

Dave Harris 6'3" 245 DL Charlotte, NC West Mecklenburg

Lamar Whidbee 6'3" 260 DL Hertford, NC Perquimans County

Cameron Demps

5'11"/180 lbs.

Defensive Back/Punt Returner

Suwanee, Georgia

Peachtree Ridge H.S.

Cameron Demps (5'11"/180) from Peachtree Ridge High School in Suwannee, Georgia is a speedy defensive back and punt returner that had committed to Virginia Tech University in the summer with a total of more than 15 Division I-Bowl Subdivision offers. His speed and cover ability should make an immediate impact in the secondary as Demps has been clocked at 4.4 seconds in the 40 yard dash and has a vertical leap of 34 inches. Cameron also earned all conference and all state honors along with being rated one of the 40 best players at his position by Rivals.com and garnered a ranking of three stars (a top 750 player). Earned a position rating of 78th by Scout.com and turned in a 40-yard dash time of 4.35 seconds and a vertical leap of 29 inches in Scout.com's Atlanta-area combine. Demps turned in a broad jump of 9'1" and a short shuttle time of 4.16 seconds at that same combine. Earned a three-star ranking from Scout.com. The son of James and Tiajuana Dozer.

Dallas McDaniel

6'3"/325 lbs.

Offensive/Defensive Line

Lynchburg, Virginia

Heritage H.S.

Heritage High Shool (Va.) linemen Dallas McDaniel (6'3"/325) played both ways for MHS and had an unbelievable year earning all-district, all-region and second team all-state honors. Heritage head football coach Jones said. "He's one of the best linemen I've ever coached and we've got two of the best linemen in the state". The son Richard and Phyliss McDaniel he turned down offers from Delaware State, Liberty and Norfolk State. His WSSU position coach Aaron Federpsiel commented by describing McDaniel as a "big, physical, agile offensive lineman who will help us immediately". The son of Phyllis McDaniel.

Darren Everette

6'4"/205 lbs.

Linebacker

Murfreesboro, North Carolina

Hertford County H.S.

Darren Everette (6'4"/205) is a Hertford County High School linebacker product. Darren was an all-conference and all-region performer, amassing over 100 tackles in his sophomore and junior seasons. A four-year starter and will be joining two former teammates here at WSSU as he played high school football with current Rams Jaquin Sessoms (SS) and Lamarcius Jenkins (TE). The son of James Everette.

Dominique Fitzgerald

6'0"/180 lbs.

Wide Receiver

Danville, Virginia

George Washington Danville H.S.

Dominique Fitzgerald (6'0"/180) a George Washington Danville star wide receiver led the team in three receiving categories with 27 total catches for a team-high 539 yards and six touchdowns while also making an impact on the ground with eight rushing attempts for 50 yards and a touchdown. Turned in a time of 4.6 seconds in the 40 yard dash and recorded a vertical leap of 32 inches. Also excelled in the punts and kick return areas. Dominique was a 2006 and 2007 first team all-district wide receiver as well as being team captain and team co-mvp. He turned down offers from Hampton, Coastal Carolina, Elon, Delaware State, Norfolk State, Liberty and Old Dominion. The son of Michelle Foster.

Branden Williams

6'1"/190 lbs.

Quarterback

Seale, Alabama

Glenwood H.S.

Branden Williams (6'1/190) is a standout quarterback from Glenwood HS in Seale, Alabama. Branden is a dual threat quarterback with a cannon arm who mixes in speed and elusiveness that can give defenses fits. Branden is a highly recruited quarterback prospect who is a proverbial "feather in the cap for the WSSU recruiting class". Spent his first three years at Russell County High School where he was a three-year starter before transferring to Glenwood High School for senior season. Over the span of his career he has passed for close to 3,100 yards and rushed for 2,000 more while combining to score 45 touchdowns.

Last season at Glenwood High School in Phenix City, Alabama he passed for more than 1,000 yards and rushed for 600 yards in a Wing-T offense that went 9-2 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

During his junior season at Russell County High School Williams he suffered a broken foot in the sixth game but still managed to pass for more than 1,000 yards and rush for 500 yards. The Son of Arthur and Felicia Williams.

Akiem Smart

6'4"/260 lbs.

Defensive Line

Fairfax, South Carolina

Allendale-Fairfax H.S.

Akiem Smart (6'4"/260) is a tough physical lineman from Allendale-Fairfax HS in Fairfax, SC. Smart is a rangy athletic lineman that will add depth and agility to the defensive front. HE was selected as an all-region, all-state and elite eleven selection last season. The son of Darrell Behlin.

Eric Wiggins

6'4"/290 lbs.

Offensive Line

Washington. D.C.

Gonzaga College H.S.

Eric Wiggins (6'4"/290) is a quick, agile, offensive lineman from Gonzaga College HS in Washington, D.C. Eric is a powerful run blocker and an athletic pass protector with great feet that helped him earn all-WCC honors. The son of Frederic and Traci Wiggins he turned down offers from Delaware State and Morgan State.

David Luckett

6'3"/280 lbs.

Offensive Line

Pomfrett, Maryland

McDonough H.S.

David Luckett (6'3"/280) is an offensive lineman from McDounough High School in Pomfrett, Maryland. David is a standout lineman earning both all southwest Maryland, and all-state honors last year. He is a very athletic strong lineman that will excel inside at center and guard. The son of Tanya Luckett

Dave Harris

6'3"/245 lbs.

Defensive Line

Charlotte, North Carolina

West Mecklenburg H.S.

Dave Harris (6'3"/245) is a defensive lineman from West Mecklenburg High School in Charlotte, North Carolina. Dave will bring his shifty pass rush abilities to the Rams' defensive line next season. Was a two-year starter as well as being an all-conference and all-Mecklenburg area player this past year. The son of Eunice Haris.

Lamar Whidbee

6'3"/260 lbs.

Defensive Line

Hertford, North Carolina

Perquimans County High School

Lamar Whidbee (6'3"/180) is a Perquimans County High School standout wide receiver who was a three-sport athlete in high school. He also competed in basketball and track earning the state championship 200 meter title last year. Whidbee's football honors include all-conference and all-region selections in both his junior and senior seasons. The son of Lewis and Gloria Whidbee

raginram
February 8th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Some WSSU recruits could play right away

By John Dell
WINSTON-SALEM JOURNAL REPORTER

Winston-Salem State and Coach Kermit Blount have expanded their recruiting base, and it shows in the latest class.

The Rams signed 14 players, but just 10 of them have been cleared through the school’s compliance office, so the school only released 10 names.

“This is probably one of the best classes that we’ve had here,” Blount said of his second Division I class. “We had some holes to fill along the line and we did that. We also signed a linebacker and a tight end, so we’re very pleased.”

The player who could make the biggest impact is quarterback Branden Williams, 6-1 and 190 pounds, from Seale, Ala. Williams, who has a strong arm and can run, passed for more than 3,000 yards in his career and ran for 2,000 more while combining to score 45 touchdowns.

He started for two years at Russell County High School where he ran the spread offense, the same offense that the Rams run. Last season at Glenwood High School in Phenix City, Ala., he played in a run-oriented offense.

Tripp Henderson, who was his coach at Glenwood, said that Williams was being recruited by Marshall, Southern Miss, Georgia Southern and Grambling.

“Their offensive coordinator, Nick Calcutta, said that Branden will get every opportunity to be a quarterback,” Henderson said. “And some of those other schools wanted him to play safety.”

Williams, who has qualified to play by NCAA standards, has 4.5 speed in the 40, and has a 30-inch vertical leap. He can also bench press 275 pounds, and was effective as a safety.

The Rams are in need of a quarterback after three-year starter Monte Purvis exhausted his eligibility. Blount said that Jarrett Dunston, who transferred from Temple before last season, Brian Wynn and redshirt freshman Tienne Jefferson will compete for the job in the spring.

In the fall, however, Williams could jump right into the mix.

“It’s too early to tell if Branden will redshirt, but we’ll need one of those young guys to step in and get the job done,” Blount said. “So that’s a priority for us, obviously.”

Blount said that of the 14 players signed, only one of them is still awaiting test scores for qualifying to play in the fall.

“I do know we are going to be counting on a lot of them to play right away,” Blount said. “We’ll redshirt some of them, but we feel that this class will really help us.”

Blount said that he and his staff, including recruiting coordinator Brian Gaither, had to venture out of the state to get what they needed.

“We still want in-state recruits, but it’s so competitive here so we had to venture outside of the state; but it was worth it,” Blount said.

Another player who stands out in the class is Cameron Demps, a 5-11, 180-pound defensive back who can also return punts. Demps, from Suwannee, Ga., committed to Virginia Tech last summer, and had plenty of other offers from major schools.

Demps, who has run the 40 in 4.4 seconds, was rated by Rivals.com as one of the 40 best seniors at his position.

■ John Dell can be reached at 727-4081 or at [email protected].