Eric Eberhardt DE 6-1 245 Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett High School

Lavadrick Farrar HB 6-0 185 Charlotte, N.C./Vance High School

Jake Miles OL 6-2 250 Charlottesville, Va./Monticello High School

J.J. Miller OL 6-2 275 Buford, Ga./Buford High School

Mike Niam LB 6-3 218 Hudson, Ohio/Hudson High School

Allen Smith DE 6-1 232 Columbia, S.C./Keenan High School

Bryan Youman CB 5-8 183 Montverde, Fla./East Ridge High School

2008 Newcomers
Brenton Bersin (WR, 6-4, 195, Charlotte, N.C./Charlotte Latin) started three seasons at both wide receiver and defensive back. All three seasons the team won the state championship, including a 13-0 season in 2007. Bersin holds all receiving records at Charlotte Latin. As a senior he had 63 catches for 1006 yards and 25 touchdowns. Named all-conference and all-state as a sophomore, junior and senior. As a senior he was named Offensive MVP of the OASIS Shrine Bowl.

TeVon Boards (LB, 5-11, 201, Bowling Green, Ky./Warren Central High School) was a four-year letterman at running back and strong safety at Warren Central High School. As a senior had 181 carries for 1586 yards and 15 touchdowns and added 58 tackles on defense as he earned all-conference and honorable mention all-state honors. During his junior season he had 66 carries for 699 yards and 12 touchdowns along with 68 tackles, earning all-conference accolades. In 2005 the team reached the state semifinals as he ran for 349 yards with four touchdowns on 41 carries.

Zach Bobb (DE, 6-3, 225, Marietta, Ga./Lassiter High School) was a four-year letterman at Lassiter High School, playing defensive end, linebacker, tight end and fullback. As a senior had 89 tackles with six sacks, eight tackles for loss and 14 hurries. He was named All-Cobb County defensive team and was a preseason all-state defensive selection in 2007.

Derek Boyce (HB, 5-10, 190, Knoxville, Tenn./The Webb School) was a four-year letterman at The Webb School. He played running back, defensive back and was a kick returner. As a senior he rushed for 1386 yards and had 300 yards receiving, with 15 total touchdowns leading to first-team all-state honors. In his junior season he was the leading rusher with 8.3 yards per carry as the team won the state championship. He also lettered five years in track, winning state championships in the 4x100 and 4x200 relays, setting school records in both events. In addition, he is a competitive wakeboarder.

Kendall Bratcher (CB, 5-8, 175, Greensboro, N.C./Northeast Guilford High School) primarily played quarterback at Northeast Guilford High School. He earned all-conference honors and all-county honors in 2005, 2006 and 2007. As a senior he set the school passing touchdown record with 16 and was named Offensive Player of the Year. He also runs track, finishing fifth in the state in the 4x100 and 4x200 relays.

Ricco Braxton (LB, 6-4, 210, Douglasville, Ga./The Lovett School) was a four-year letterman at The Lovett School, reaching the state playoffs all four seasons. As a senior captain was named all-state and all-city first team, recording 107 tackles, 14 sacks, 17 tackles for loss and two fumble recoveries. He was also a three-year letterman on the basketball team and led the squad in rebounds as they reached the 2006 State Final Four. In track and field, he competed in the 2005 AAU Indoor National Championship, earning a silver in the triple jump and bronze in the hurdles and pentathlon. He is a National Football Foundation Hall of Fame Scholar Athlete.

Eric Breitenstein (RB, 5-11, 212, Valle Crucis, N.C./Watagua High School) earned all-conference honors all four seasons at Watagua High School. As a senior he led the team to a conference championship as he posted 2,445 yards and 29 touchdowns. He started at fullback in the Shrine Bowl and was named all-state along with being the runner-up for the Associated Press Player of the Year. As a junior he was named all-state at defensive back with five interceptions. He also was a three-year starter on the baseball team, twice earning all-conference honors. His brother, Seth, is on the football team at Appalachian State.

Calvin Cantrell (OL, 6-4, 260, Dacula, Ga./Dacula High School) was a three-year letterman at Dacula High School and two-year starter at offensive tackle. As a senior was named first-team All-Gwinnett County and Gwinnett County Touchdown Club Player of the Month. In two seasons as a starter had 131 pancake blocks and did not allow a sack, posting a 91% blocking grade.

Robby Davis [/B](QB, 6-0, 200, Fayetteville, Ga./Starrs Mill High School) spent last fall at the Naval Academy. He was a four-year letterman at Starrs Mill High School. In 2006 Davis was named Fayette County Player of the Year, in addition to earning all-county, all-region and second team all-state honors. He also was named the Atlanta Journal Constitution Fayette/Coweta Offensive Player of the Year. As a junior, he was named all-county and all-region as the team won the Region 4-AAAA Championship with an 11-2 record. He also lettered one season in track, running the 4x100 relay.

Eric Eberhardt (DE, 6-1, 245, Suwanee, Ga./North Gwinnett High School) led the county with 13.5 sacks on the season as a senior. He totaled 105 tackles, 17 quarterback pressures and 24 tackles for loss as he earned Gwinnett Daily Post Defensive Player of the Year honors. He added first-team all-state and first-team all-county honors. The team had a 13-2 record and reached the Class AAAAA state championship game, the first in school history. As a junior, he posted 94 tackles and 13.5 sacks.

Lavadrick Farrar (HB, 6-0, 185, Charlotte, N.C./Vance High School) lettered twice in football at Vance High School. As a senior had 1504 yards on 166 carries and his 9.1 yards per carry average was the best in the state. Named all-conference, All-Charlotte and All-Mecklenburg County his senior season. Played tight end as a junior with four catches for three touchdowns. Also lettered in basketball as a junior, with the team winning the conference and advancing to the state championship game.

Jake Miles (OL, 6-2, 250, Charlottesville, Va./Monticello High School) was a starter at left tackle and defensive end as a senior. He earned first team all-district honors and first team all-region honors at both positions and was named first-team all-state at left tackle. Miles was the captain of the 2007 team that won the state championship. As a junior he was first team all-district at left tackle. He also played lacrosse for four seasons, earning second team all-district honors on defense as a junior.

J.J. Miller (OL, 6-2, 275, Buford, Ga./Buford High School) was a three-year letterman at Buford High School. As a senior, named first-team all-county as the team won the state championship. He also earned all-state honors. Buford High School won region championships all four seasons he played and posted an overall record of 53-3. He also lettered one season in wrestling.

Mike Niam (LB, 6-3, 215, Hudson, Ohio/Hudson High School) lettered three seasons in football at Hudson High School. As a senior was first-team all-conference and all-district at linebacker. He was also named a Football Leader by the Cleveland Plain Dealer and special mention All-Ohio as he led the team with 95 tackles. In addition, he rushed for 231 yards on 35 carries and had 33 receptions for 535 yards and four touchdowns on offense. During his junior season was named first-team all-conference and second-team all-district with 144 total tackles, which led the team. He also lettered twice in basketball at center, earning first-team all-conference honors as a junior when he averaged 11.1 points per game and six rebounds a game.

Allen Smith (DE, 6-1, 232, Columbia, S.C./Keenan High School) set a single-season tackle record with 92 as a senior at Keenan High School. Had 11 sacks, 15 tackles for loss, nine blocked kicks and three forced fumbles in 2007. Named an all-area selection and first-team all-region, along with North/South All-Star honors. In Region IV-AA named Defensive Player of the Year and was also named honorable mention all-state by The State. First-team all-region as a junior with 72 tackles, 12 sacks, ten tackles for loss and three forced fumbles. Also played one season of baseball at catcher and is currently competing in the shot and discus in track.

Bryan Youman (CB, 5-8, 183, Montverde, Fla./East Ridge High School) played wide receiver last year at East Ridge High School, making 25 catches for 561 yards and two touchdowns. On defense, he added 19 tackles and two interceptions. He attends the same high school as Wofford men’s basketball player Corey Godzinski.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Bob, I'm a bit surprised not to see a quarterback. Stocked there?

terrierbob
February 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Bob, I'm a bit surprised not to see a quarterback. Stocked there?

Check out Robbie Davis, transfer from Navy. His blurb is 8th from the bottom. Not a recruit, but a great addition.

Eyes of Old Main
February 7th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Looks like the Terrier coaching staff has added to its consecutive string of "Best Class in Wofford History". The bar just keeps getting raised.

AppStsGr8
February 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Interesting to sign a kid from Watauga High School which is, quite literally, around the corner from Appalachian. Sounds like a good recruit, too. Maybe he needed to get out of the mountains. I hope he does well at Wofford.

Eyes of Old Main
February 8th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Interesting to sign a kid from Watauga High School which is, quite literally, around the corner from Appalachian. Sounds like a good recruit, too. Maybe he needed to get out of the mountains. I hope he does well at Wofford.

I wondered the same thing. His brother plays for App and I understand from the Spartanburg paper that App recruited him so I guess he just wanted a change of scenery and a chance to chart his own course. We'll see what happens, but it should provide a nice storyline when the Mountaineers and Terriers get together the next few years.

asufan87
February 8th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I believe there was some interest on App's part, but the bottom line is that Moore and staff didn't offer up any scholarship dollars. I think they weren't quite sure he was an exact fit for our scheme. There's no question he fits well with what Wofford does. He's a good student and good kid too from what I understand. I look for him to be a nice contributor at WC. His older brother Seth is a walk-on at App who has played sparingly so far.

APPride
February 8th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I wondered the same thing. His brother plays for App and I understand from the Spartanburg paper that App recruited him so I guess he just wanted a change of scenery and a chance to chart his own course. We'll see what happens, but it should provide a nice storyline when the Mountaineers and Terriers get together the next few years.

I heard that Coach Ayers said he would definately play as running back (which was Eric's requirement, but App would not commit to that?

terrierbob
February 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Good story on the young man. I'm very glad App State felt he wasn't a good enough fit.

In 2006, Breitenstein was named to the AP All-State Team as a defensive back, AP runner-up Player of the Year, and Charlotte Observer's All-Piedmont defensive player of the year. He has also been named to the All NW4A (Northwestern Conference) each season since his freshman year. On top of his extraordinary football credentials, Breitenstein was named to the 2006 All NW4A Team in baseball and was a 2006 member of the baseball State Games. He is currently being recruited by hometown Appalachian State, Elon, North Carolina, NC State, and Wofford.

http://www.nflhs.com/nflprograms/features/2007PanthersCC_EricBreitenstein_11292007_lcb.asp

proasu89
February 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Good story on the young man. I'm very glad App State felt he wasn't a good enough fit.

In 2006, Breitenstein was named to the AP All-State Team as a defensive back, AP runner-up Player of the Year, and Charlotte Observer's All-Piedmont defensive player of the year. He has also been named to the All NW4A (Northwestern Conference) each season since his freshman year. On top of his extraordinary football credentials, Breitenstein was named to the 2006 All NW4A Team in baseball and was a 2006 member of the baseball State Games. He is currently being recruited by hometown Appalachian State, Elon, North Carolina, NC State, and Wofford.

http://www.nflhs.com/nflprograms/features/2007PanthersCC_EricBreitenstein_11292007_lcb.asp

Eric is a great athlete and fine young man. I know Coach Moore wishes that he would fit into our offensive scheme. I remember watching him as a sophmore and thinking "man he's perfect for Wofford". He made those around him better and Watauga advanced to the 4A regional finals 2 years in a row with his leadership. It's going to give those of us around here a reason to pull for Wofford 10 weeks out of the year.xthumbsupx

beauvighn
February 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I can speak Robby Davis from the Naval Academy. He was our #1 recruit last year and we are sick that he decided to transfer. Wofford gain is definetly our loss.

Eyes of Old Main
February 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I heard that Coach Ayers said he would definately play as running back (which was Eric's requirement, but App would not commit to that?

Based off his rushing numbers from High School (which I realize don't translate, but still) the guy is a beast. We'll see how it pans out...