PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook signees

danefan
February 6th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Stony Brook Football Adds First Names to 2008 Recruiting Class

Seawolves Ink Six on First Day of Signing Period
Feb. 6, 2008

Stony Brook, N.Y. - Stony Brook University's football team added the first names to its 2008 recruiting class when head coach Chuck Priore (http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/priore_chuck00.html) announced the names of six players who signed letters of intent to play for the Seawolves starting with the 2008 season. Matt Dardenne (Fremont, Calif.), Eddie Gowins (Bellport, N.Y.), Jordan Gush (Richardson, Texas), Adrian Sawyer (Oakland, Calif.), Wes Skiffington (Brandon, Fla.) and Marcus Wilson (Pennsauken, N.J.) will all add their names to the Stony Brook roster next season.

"We're excited about the class," said Priore. "It is a small class right now, but we are excited with our start. We are in the third stage of a four stage process of taking our program to the full scholarship level of the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision - formally I-AA) and we have tried to work our classes to fit some specific needs; whether it is to get a bit older or balance our freshman class. We have patience with our recruiting class and try not to use all of our spots up early. Last year we signed six players after April 1st and all had an impact on our program."

One of three transfer players in the first group to sign, Dardenne is a 6-4, 210-lb. quarterback that has played the last two seasons at Laney College in California. Last fall he threw for over 2,400 yards, tossing 25 TD passes vs. just nine interceptions. In his two seasons at Laney he totaled over 5,000 yards in the air and threw 50 touchdown passes, helping the school to a 19-3 record. "He is a quality football player," said Priore. "We graduated Josh Dudash (http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dudash_josh00.html) and we felt that we needed to have an older player in the program. He has a great personality; he is what you want in a quarterback."

A local Long Island product out of Bellport, New York, Gowins adds another running back to the Stony Brook stable. A 5-10, 222-lb back, he spent last season prepping at Bridgton Academy after being named the Hansen Award winner as Suffolk County's best player in 2006 while at Bellport. As a senior for the Clippers he was just four yards shy of 2,000 rushing yards, scoring 34 touchdowns while earning all-state and all-Long Island honors. Last season at Bridgton he turned in another 1,000-yard season, totaling 1,106 while scoring 11 times. "We are excited about getting this local player," remarked Priore. "Joe Cipp's players have been successful as college players. He is a combination of power and speed that will definitely fit in our plans."

http://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/spacer.gif
Gush is the wide receiver of the group, a 5-11, 175-lb. wideout that played at J.J. Pearce High School in Richardson, Texas. A second team all-state player as a senior, he was the city and district MVP after making 93 catches for 1,191 yards and 15 TDs. He also excelled on special teams, returning two kickoffs and one punt for scores. A three-year starter, he totaled over 2,000 yards in career reception yardage. "Jordan is a unique player," said Priore. "He has the ability to step on the field right away; he is a knowledgeable player with some speed."

Sawyer was a favorite target of Dardeene's passes at Laney College. A 6-3, 235-lb. tight end, he is a native of Oakland, California. Last season he caught 17 passes at Laney, the third-highest total on the team. He hauled in one pass for a score and averaged over 14 yards per reception. "When we saw Dardeene's films we noticed Sawyer," remembers Priore. "He has caught a lot of footballs and is physically good enough to block on the line of scrimmage. His best attribute will be his ability to catch passes, he is someone that we will be able to flex out and stretch the field vertically with."

A kicker, Skiffington comes to Stony Brook from Florida where he hails from Brandon. As a senior he averaged 42.3 yards per punt at Armwood High School while hitting on four of seven field goal attempts, helping his team to a 13-1 record and top-10 ranking in the Sunshine State. "Wes was our top pick as a kicker coming out of the fall and we were able to land him," said Priore. "He is a kicker/punter combination that will be able to come in and give us some depth at those positions."
Another player with collegiate experience, Wilson comes to Stony Brook after spending two seasons at the University of Iowa. A 6-3, 205-lb. safety, played in all 13 of the Hawkeyes games in 2006, making a pair of starts. He made 21 tackles and was one of seven players to pick off a pass, getting his pic against Purdue. A native of New Jersey, Wilson played his high school ball at Camden Catholic where he was a two-time all-region player. "Marcus is a talented, talented athlete," remarked Priore. "He is someone that should fit in right away, we are excited about him. From day one he should have an impact on this program."

http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020608aac.html

Seawolf97
February 6th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Stony Brook Football Adds First Names to 2008 Recruiting Class

Seawolves Ink Six on First Day of Signing Period
Feb. 6, 2008

Stony Brook, N.Y. - Stony Brook University's football team added the first names to its 2008 recruiting class when head coach Chuck Priore (http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/priore_chuck00.html) announced the names of six players who signed letters of intent to play for the Seawolves starting with the 2008 season. Matt Dardenne (Fremont, Calif.), Eddie Gowins (Bellport, N.Y.), Jordan Gush (Richardson, Texas), Adrian Sawyer (Oakland, Calif.), Wes Skiffington (Brandon, Fla.) and Marcus Wilson (Pennsauken, N.J.) will all add their names to the Stony Brook roster next season.

"We're excited about the class," said Priore. "It is a small class right now, but we are excited with our start. We are in the third stage of a four stage process of taking our program to the full scholarship level of the FCS (Football Championship Subdivision - formally I-AA) and we have tried to work our classes to fit some specific needs; whether it is to get a bit older or balance our freshman class. We have patience with our recruiting class and try not to use all of our spots up early. Last year we signed six players after April 1st and all had an impact on our program."

One of three transfer players in the first group to sign, Dardenne is a 6-4, 210-lb. quarterback that has played the last two seasons at Laney College in California. Last fall he threw for over 2,400 yards, tossing 25 TD passes vs. just nine interceptions. In his two seasons at Laney he totaled over 5,000 yards in the air and threw 50 touchdown passes, helping the school to a 19-3 record. "He is a quality football player," said Priore. "We graduated Josh Dudash (http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dudash_josh00.html) and we felt that we needed to have an older player in the program. He has a great personality; he is what you want in a quarterback."

A local Long Island product out of Bellport, New York, Gowins adds another running back to the Stony Brook stable. A 5-10, 222-lb back, he spent last season prepping at Bridgton Academy after being named the Hansen Award winner as Suffolk County's best player in 2006 while at Bellport. As a senior for the Clippers he was just four yards shy of 2,000 rushing yards, scoring 34 touchdowns while earning all-state and all-Long Island honors. Last season at Bridgton he turned in another 1,000-yard season, totaling 1,106 while scoring 11 times. "We are excited about getting this local player," remarked Priore. "Joe Cipp's players have been successful as college players. He is a combination of power and speed that will definitely fit in our plans."

http://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/spacer.gif
Gush is the wide receiver of the group, a 5-11, 175-lb. wideout that played at J.J. Pearce High School in Richardson, Texas. A second team all-state player as a senior, he was the city and district MVP after making 93 catches for 1,191 yards and 15 TDs. He also excelled on special teams, returning two kickoffs and one punt for scores. A three-year starter, he totaled over 2,000 yards in career reception yardage. "Jordan is a unique player," said Priore. "He has the ability to step on the field right away; he is a knowledgeable player with some speed."

Sawyer was a favorite target of Dardeene's passes at Laney College. A 6-3, 235-lb. tight end, he is a native of Oakland, California. Last season he caught 17 passes at Laney, the third-highest total on the team. He hauled in one pass for a score and averaged over 14 yards per reception. "When we saw Dardeene's films we noticed Sawyer," remembers Priore. "He has caught a lot of footballs and is physically good enough to block on the line of scrimmage. His best attribute will be his ability to catch passes, he is someone that we will be able to flex out and stretch the field vertically with."

A kicker, Skiffington comes to Stony Brook from Florida where he hails from Brandon. As a senior he averaged 42.3 yards per punt at Armwood High School while hitting on four of seven field goal attempts, helping his team to a 13-1 record and top-10 ranking in the Sunshine State. "Wes was our top pick as a kicker coming out of the fall and we were able to land him," said Priore. "He is a kicker/punter combination that will be able to come in and give us some depth at those positions."
Another player with collegiate experience, Wilson comes to Stony Brook after spending two seasons at the University of Iowa. A 6-3, 205-lb. safety, played in all 13 of the Hawkeyes games in 2006, making a pair of starts. He made 21 tackles and was one of seven players to pick off a pass, getting his pic against Purdue. A native of New Jersey, Wilson played his high school ball at Camden Catholic where he was a two-time all-region player. "Marcus is a talented, talented athlete," remarked Priore. "He is someone that should fit in right away, we are excited about him. From day one he should have an impact on this program."

http://goseawolves.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/020608aac.html

Expect more to come later this spring

Seawolf97
February 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I saw in the Long Island Newsday today that Hofstra signed the 2007 Hansen Award Winner and we jsut signed the 2006 winner in Eddie Gowins . Could be interesting games in our future on Long Island.

Sly Fox
February 8th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Did this tiny Signing Day list come as a surprise? Or does Priore lean heavily on JUCO and FBS transfers in the summer?

Since we are just getting acquainted with you guys joining the Big South this fall, I am genuinely curious.

Seawolf97
February 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Did this tiny Signing Day list come as a surprise? Or does Priore lean heavily on JUCO and FBS transfers in the summer?

Since we are just getting acquainted with you guys joining the Big South this fall, I am genuinely curious.

I think you will see 5 or 6 more names on this list as we go into the spring. Expect some more FBS transfers and Im not sure who was redshirted last season that will play this year. We were lucky only losing 6 to graduation even though one was our starting quarterback. Picking up one of the best running best running backs in NY State makes us deep in the offensive backfield as well as wide receivers and I under stand our new QB is big and can throw.
I wouldnt be surprised if we are in the hunt for the conference title with you guys and Coastal this year.

California Dreaming
February 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
xhurrayx
I saw in the Long Island Newsday today that Hofstra signed the 2007 Hansen Award Winner and we jsut signed the 2006 winner in Eddie Gowins . Could be interesting games in our future on Long Island.

California Dreaming
February 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Don't worry Seawolf97 the signed players from California can play and they just signed another kid a stud linebacker that was at Laney JC in California two years ago and was at Colorado last year. Matt the QB threw for 50tds and over 5,000 yards in two years, playing only half the games this year.Matt was an first team all state California player and Adrian the Tight End was an All American after his Freshman year. Laney was a run first team in JC, and with the open wide style of Stony Brook look for alot of passing yards and Touchdown passes from Dardenne. All three of the kids are Divison 1 players that could have played in the Pac Ten if it wasn't for poor high school teams they played on. Priore is down playing his signees, true genius coach!!!

Seawolf97
February 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Don't worry Seawolf97 the signed players from California can play and they just signed another kid a stud linebacker that was at Laney JC in California two years ago and was at Colorado last year. Matt the QB threw for 50tds and over 5,000 yards in two years, playing only half the games this year.Matt was an first team all state California player and Adrian the Tight End was an All American after his Freshman year. Laney was a run first team in JC, and with the open wide style of Stony Brook look for alot of passing yards and Touchdown passes from Dardenne. All three of the kids are Divison 1 players that could have played in the Pac Ten if it wasn't for poor high school teams they played on. Priore is down playing his signees, true genius coach!!!

We have to stay humble -but I will take a breakout season going into the Big South. And yes our coach is up there with the best- we just have to keep happy at Stonybrook !

California Dreaming
February 22nd, 2008, 11:07 AM
Understood, but this could be the best year that Stonybrook has ever had!

andy7171
February 22nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
That's a big net you cast! California, Florida, Texas. Nice!

UNHFan99
February 22nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
Congrats on the signings. I was just talking to a Hofstra Alum about how big a threat Stony Brook could be in the future for everyone. Great class and congrats.

California Dreaming
February 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM

Andy 717

The California Kids are killers.... I've heard two more coming from the high school ranks. xthumbsupx

California Dreaming
February 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM
Congrats on the signings. I was just talking to a Hofstra Alum about how big a threat Stony Brook could be in the future for everyone. Great class and congrats.

Yeah, I've seen all the California Kids play @ Laney Jr College in Oakland. All American TE and All First Team California QB and the DE/LB is a killer. Stony Brook will light up the score board if they sprend the field with 5 wide outs. Matt Dardenne QB, was on the hook for Kansas, Arizona and Hawaii before top ten high school guys signed. Should be great season!!! I'm going to try to come out for a game or two, maybe the Hofstra game. How's your team looking this year?

Seawolf97
February 22nd, 2008, 07:59 PM

Plus we picked up Eddie Gowins. He won the Hansen Award as Suffolk Counties # 1 High School player in 2006 and was All New York State that year. He is a powerful 6'0 225 lbs running back with speed. Hofstra just signed the 2007 Hansen winner. We could have some fireworks between us and the Pride in the future.
Two more prime Long Island high school players signed this week-names to be announced soon. That would bring this years class to 10 so far.

Seawolf97
February 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks! Dont hold me to this but I think we have homes games against UNH and UMass coming up in 2009 or 2010. We should be able to score more than 1 touchdown against you guys by thenxlolx

Sly Fox
February 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Congrats on the pickups. But let's not get too confident heading into your first year in a full scholie league. This fall should be fun.

Uncle Buck
February 23rd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Priore is a good coach and will have his players ready. I think they will shock some teams with their tenacity. At last year's HU game, it looked like the Dutch had it nailed down but the never say die Seawolves made a game of it until the end. I think SBU will definitely turn some heads.

Seawolf97
February 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Congrats on the pickups. But let's not get too confident heading into your first year in a full scholie league. This fall should be fun.

I know I cant be over confident. Our schedule is filled with quality teams including Liberty which is a good thing. Gotta take it one game at time .
Looking forward to this season and playing you guysxnodx

slostang
February 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I know I cant be over confident. Our schedule is filled with quality teams including Liberty which is a good thing. Gotta take it one game at time .
Looking forward to this season and playing you guysxnodx

Seawolf97, I see that Stony Brook recruits in California. How about a trip out to California to play Cal Poly so some of those recruits families can see them play with out having to buy a plane ticket and Stony Brooks get some exposure in a state they recruit. I know that Cal Poly is looking for one more game. What do you say?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Seawolf97, I see that Stony Brook recruits in California. How about a trip out to California to play Cal Poly so some of those recruits families can see them play with out having to buy a plane ticket and Stony Brooks get some exposure in a state they recruit. I know that Cal Poly is looking for one more game. What do you say?

I don't think UNH is looking for another game this year and frankly only week one would be feasible, but UNH also has California kids on their team and a homecoming game would make sense. As things stand right now, UNH will have at least three starters from SoCal out of:

RJ Toman,QB, Mission Viejo
JT Wright, WR, Agoura Hills
Matt Parent, LB, Long Beach
Travis Negron, WR, San Diego

I'm not sure we have a FBS game for 2009 so maybe something can be worked out?

Seawolf97
February 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM

I would love to see us play out in California or take on a team in Texas for a home and away. I think the more exposure we get the better our program will become. I wouldnt be surprised if you see us doing that when we become a counter team and take on an FBS opponet out West.

California Dreaming
February 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I would love to see us play out in California or take on a team in Texas for a home and away. I think the more exposure we get the better our program will become. I wouldnt be surprised if you see us doing that when we become a counter team and take on an FBS opponet out West.

Not sure they will travel that far any time soon, but it would be interesting. SBU is committed to making California, Texas and Florida where they want most of there kids to come from while building the program.

RageAwakening
February 26th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Not sure they will travel that far any time soon, but it would be interesting. SBU is committed to making California, Texas and Florida where they want most of there kids to come from while building the program.

yep. that sure is right...

Uncle Buck
February 26th, 2008, 04:59 PM
yep. that sure is right...

Then you end up having a coach who is resented all over long island for not recruiting home town kids. Gardi did the same thing at Hofstra when he started, we had recruits from all over the US. Cali, Fla, Tex, PA, NJ etc, and always a very small number from NY. Coaches on LI killed him for that and we probably lost out on kids who could have come here but were steered in a different direction by HS coaches. A very fine line when building a program, I speak from experience.

danefan
February 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Then you end up having a coach who is resented all over long island for not recruiting home town kids. Gardi did the same thing at Hofstra when he started, we had recruits from all over the US. Cali, Fla, Tex, PA, NJ etc, and always a very small number from NY. Coaches on LI killed him for that and we probably lost out on kids who could have come here but were steered in a different direction by HS coaches. A very fine line when building a program, I speak from experience.

That's actually a really good point that I never really thought about with SBU and Hofstra. The Island is such a small community in the high school football ranks (especially amongst coaches). That can really hurt your recruiting without an ample representation of Long Island high schools.

At Albany we have (for a good number of years) the "Capital Region" scholarship which is paid for by the Giants and goes to an incoming freshman football recruit who went to a Capital Region high school. It creates a lot of good local press and the recipient "accepts" it during Giants camp in a large press conference.

RageAwakening
February 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM

hmmm never really saw it from that point of view. although there are alot of kids on the Stony Brook team that are from long island and other parts of new york.

slostang
February 26th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I think that we may see the Seawolves out west sooner than some expect. It only makes sense seeing how many California players are on the roster. It gives Stony Brook great exposure in a state they recruit heavily in and it gives the families and friends of the California players an opportunity to see them play. I hope to see them on Cal Poly's schedule in the future. Cal Poly has a tough time with scheduling and Stony Brook would be a great opponent.

Seawolf97
February 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM

You make a good point. Im not sure of the numbers but we have quite a few Long Island players on the roster . I think we just signed 2 more but they havent been posted on the web site yet. I would think you would include the 5 boros of NYC also. There is talent in those city programs.

Seawolf97
February 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I think that we may see the Seawolves out west sooner than some expect. It only makes sense seeing how many California players are on the roster. It gives Stony Brook great exposure in a state they recruit heavily in and it gives the families and friends of the California players an opportunity to see them play. I hope to see them on Cal Poly's schedule in the future. Cal Poly has a tough time with scheduling and Stony Brook would be a great opponent.

I would hope once we get our feet on the ground with our scholarship program we expand our schedule which isnt bad now. We play at Maine and Coastal Carolina this season that covers a good piece of the east coast.
Good luck with those Badgers by the way. Nice schedulingxthumbsupx

Seawolf97
February 27th, 2008, 08:18 PM
To satisfy my curiosity I went through the 2007 roster.

13 Long Island players and 4 from NYC schools. They were all underclassman so hopefully they will all be returning in 2008.

California Dreaming
March 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM

Your right Uncle Buck, I think that Stony Brook will change recruiting tatics once they have a full program. It's the same thing out west with UC Davis going from II to 1aa. JC is a transfer to school and programs with needs which most JC kids go away "out of state" to play. High School kids will be key down the road for SBU success.

California Dreaming
March 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM

I so hope your right, my wife went to Cal Poly and it would only be a 3 hour drive for us to see them play. Don't know if we're ready for that challenge yet. We're thankfull that Southwest flies into Long Island. Planning on seeing three games @ SBU and one in Carolina.xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
March 2nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
hmmm never really saw it from that point of view. although there are alot of kids on the Stony Brook team that are from long island and other parts of new york.

That was also the case when Gardi first arrived at Hofstra as well. In order to increase the talent level, he cast a wide recruiting net and Long Island kids like myself were less of the norm when it came to recruits. This made a lot of LI coaches bitter, even though our football talent on the island pales in comparison to other parts of the country. Bottom line you do what you have to in order to win games, but you can't make everyone happy. I was glad to see Cohen keep three solid players at home this year. Hopefully we can start getting back some of the D-1 talent that used to leave the island for rival programs.

LI coaches are a fickle bunch and like i said, i speak from experience. Every coach thinks they have kids who can compete at this level, but the reality is they are good, but not good enough.

RageAwakening
March 2nd, 2008, 03:05 PM
yeah i feel you on that one, you gotta do what you gotta do to win games...