PDA

View Full Version : Right Now GSU has 5 Three Star Signees...

straightshooter
February 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM
As of this moment, GSU has five three star signees and around 10 two stars that have signed. At least a half dozen or so of them that run 4.4, and you've got the makings of a pretty good class.

More to come...

LehighFan11
February 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Somehow im not believing you. On rivals they have 6 players listed. 1 3* and 1 2*. So where are the other 12 coming from?

Appstate29
February 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Somehow im not believing you. On rivals they have 6 players listed. 1 3* and 1 2*. So where are the other 12 coming from?

I was just about to post the same thing. More GSU delusions.

straightshooter
February 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
OK. Here are the three star signees:

Franklin Green RB Rivals Three Star
David Arnold RB Rivals Three Star
Nick Bass WR Rivals Three Star
JB Shippy LB Rivals Three Star
Darrel Norman RB Rivals Three Star (2007) Four years eligiblity left

These are signed and in hand. Norman is already enrolled.

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Amazing how much stock people put into Rivals ratings and high school 40 times. There's only a small group of NFL guys that run legit 4.4 40's, yet almost every school claims to have multiple guys per year who run those and better. Don't believe the hype, wait until they hit the field to know for certain.

mountain_man
February 6th, 2008, 01:55 PM
OK. Here are the three star signees:

Franklin Green RB Rivals Three Star
David Arnold RB Rivals Three Star
Nick Bass WR Rivals Three Star
JB Shippy LB Rivals Three Star
Darrel Norman RB Rivals Three Star (2007) Four years eligiblity left

These are signed and in hand. Norman is already enrolled.

http://appalachianstate.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

This is what Rivals is showing for GSU so far...

Sorry you will have to select GSU from the drop down box...

Appstate29
February 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Amazing how much stock people put into Rivals ratings and high school 40 times. There's only a small group of NFL guys that run legit 4.4 40's, yet almost every school claims to have multiple guys per year who run those and better. Don't believe the hype, wait until they hit the field to know for certain.

I would say a very small group. There was an article on here sometime ago that shed a little light on this. Me, i like to see the stars on rivals because its fun, but they mean little IMO, the largest determinant of how good a player is going to be is heart, and none of the services take that into consideration.

straightshooter
February 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM
We all know that, but it is the measuring stick on signing day. Why do you think ESPN is spending hours on it right now? GSU has pretty much never had many three star kids, but it does have six national championships. I just think it's unusual that a FCS team can land that many highly rated kids.

App State has two three stars, and ESPN just made a huge deal out of it.

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 02:00 PM
4.4? I thought GSU only signed skill players who were 4.3 or better...

soweagle
February 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM

It's a down year.

blueballs
February 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM

Just Foster... the rest are 4.4's.:D

straightshooter
February 6th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Let's not forget that recruiting is big business these days. Many of these kids go to recruiting combines, where they get timed in a number of drills, including the 40. For kids who don't go to these combines, you're getting hand timed 40s from coaches, but at say a Nike combine, the times are pretty legit.

blueballs
February 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
The Rivals link that was posted earlier is not up to date. Here is the list released by GSU's SID, which concurs withthe list Straightshooter posted.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90301&SPID=10890&ATCLID=1383233&DB_OEM_ID=18700

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Let's not forget that recruiting is big business these days. Many of these kids go to recruiting combines, where they get timed in a number of drills, including the 40. For kids who don't go to these combines, you're getting hand timed 40s from coaches, but at say a Nike combine, the times are pretty legit.

And yet, college kids go to the NFL combines and pro day workouts and you still don't see many who's 40 times don't mysteriously creep up once the NFL guys do the timing. Maybe they're slower on the trigger than the high school and college coaches, but there aren't tons of football players running sub 4.4 40's.

straightshooter
February 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I think you'll find that GSU list includes five three star and nine two star signees. Looks great on paper. We'll have to see how they play on the field.

I do know that two of them have run 10.6 100m in track. I guess that will be questioned too.

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
We all know that, but it is the measuring stick on signing day. Why do you think ESPN is spending hours on it right now? GSU has pretty much never had many three star kids, but it does have six national championships. I just think it's unusual that a FCS team can land that many highly rated kids.

App State has two three stars, and ESPN just made a huge deal out of it.

The thing is, Rivals never actually sees most of the guys who are below 4 stars so it really doesn't mean much at all. Guys who are rated 1 through 3 stars are almost all rated based upon who the recruit says is recruiting them, and of course, there's no way to verify the truth of any of that so a kid can say USC and Florida are recruiting him even if the only thing he ever got in the mail was a one paragraph form letter saying hello. And the funny thing is, notice how some of the 3 star guys drop down to 2 stars if they pick an FCS school. It's all fun to talk about and smack about on message boards, but in the end it means absolutely nothing. I've seen no star recruits (Omar Cuff was a no star guy out of high school) beat out 3 star guys, and it happens almost every year. It just makes for fun conversation in the middle of basketball season, that's it. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I think you'll find that GSU list includes five three star and nine two star signees. Looks great on paper. We'll have to see how they play on the field.

I do know that two of them have run 10.6 100m in track. I guess that will be questioned too.

Were they wind-aided times? xlolx xlolx xlolx

CharlestonAppFan
February 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM
The thing is, Rivals never actually sees most of the guys who are below 4 stars so it really doesn't mean much at all. Guys who are rated 1 through 3 stars are almost all rated based upon who the recruit says is recruiting them, and of course, there's no way to verify the truth of any of that so a kid can say USC and Florida are recruiting him even if the only thing he ever got in the mail was a one paragraph form letter saying hello. And the funny thing is, notice how some of the 3 star guys drop down to 2 stars if they pick an FCS school. It's all fun to talk about and smack about on message boards, but in the end it means absolutely nothing. I've seen no star recruits (Omar Cuff was a no star guy out of high school) beat out 3 star guys, and it happens almost every year. It just makes for fun conversation in the middle of basketball season, that's it. xthumbsupx

I'll second that with our RB for the past 3 championships (Kevin Richardson), who was a WALK ON. Armanti was rated a 1 star I believe coming out of high school and Corey Lynch wasn't rated at all. Don't put too much stock into this rating system.xsmhx

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM

Oh, and if they're really getting 10.6's in the 100m, you might as well have them run track as well. I mean, that would put them in the top 15 of the SEC last year, the top 4 of the Big 10, the top 5 of the Big East, etc. xlolx xlolx

LehighFan11
February 6th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I'll second that with our RB for the past 3 championships (Kevin Richardson), who was a WALK ON. Armanti was rated a 1 star I believe coming out of high school and Corey Lynch wasn't rated at all. Don't put too much stock into this rating system.xsmhx

Most underrated players or walk ons succed because of playing within the system.

CharlestonAppFan
February 6th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Most underrated players or walk ons succed because of playing within the system.

whereas most overrated players try to play within their own system xnodx

straightshooter
February 6th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Well, GSU doesn't have a men's track team, so they won't be doing that. And by the way, hundreds of kids attend these combines, and they are of all skill and speed levels. I don't put a great deal of stock in some of the ratings, but if you look at the best teams in the BCS year after year, you'll see that they usually have the top rated recruiting classes.

ODUfootballfan
February 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
APPSTATE29: AS FOR YOUR QUOTE: I FOUND THIS:

the Library of Congress' Respectfully Quoted writes, "Attributed to ALEXANDER FRASER TYTLER, LORD WOODHOUSELEE. Unverified." The quote, however, appears in no published work of Tytler's.

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Well, GSU doesn't have a men's track team, so they won't be doing that. And by the way, hundreds of kids attend these combines, and they are of all skill and speed levels. I don't put a great deal of stock in some of the ratings, but if you look at the best teams in the BCS year after year, you'll see that they usually have the top rated recruiting classes.

Yes, because it's self fulfilling. If Alabama or USC or Florida wants a guy, he gets a high rating. It's really that easy. And of course, there's no way to be proven wrong on a recruiting class because by the time they take the field a couple of years from now, there's been 1-2 other recruiting classes anyway and no one cares to revisit the rankings.

Want to boost your rating a whole star? Say a couple of IA schools are heavily interested in you. The schools can't comment and there's no way to verify so bingo - another star.

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Of course the top programs have the top recruiting classes. The recruiting services change the ratings depending on who signs them!

One kid, Daniel McKayhan, originally committed to Furman. No stars. Then committed to Memphis. 2 stars, 5.1 rivals rating. Then committed to Georgia Tech, rating up to 5.3. In the span of 2 weeks. What a joke.

A lot of top FCS players are guys who flew under the radar. The lack of ratings are just a reflection of the fact they haven't been evaluated. Jerome Felton was like that... no stars for sure, I don't recall but he might not have even been listed by rivals or scout.com. Furman's star LT, who is a serious NFL prospect, received minimal attention as well. Those are just a couple from my knowledge as a Furman fan, but every FCS program has good players that were under the radar in high school.

ButlerGSU
February 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
2008 GEORGIA SOUTHERN FOOTBALL SIGNING CLASS
as of 1:30 p.m.

David Arnold * RB * 6-0, 201 * Adel (Valdosta)

Samair Baker * WR * 5-7, 170 * Valrico, FL (Brandon)

Leander Barney * QB * 5-8, 187 * Irmo, S.C. (Irmo)

Nick Bass * WR * 5-11, 200 * Warner Robins (Northside)

Jerome Bibbins * OL * 6-2, 305 * Warner Robins (Northside)

Victor Daniels * DB * 5-8, 182 * Waycross (Ware County HS)

Oliver Davis * DB * 5-8, 160 * Acworth (North Cobb HS)

Dion Dubose * LB * 6-0, 225 * Dacula (Norcross)

Daniel Few * OL/DL * 6-4, 269 * Ellenwood (Grady)

Franklin Green * RB * 5-11, 207 * Savannah (Jenkins)

Derek Heyden * DB * 6-1, 177 * Atlanta (Marist)

LaVelle Larry * RB/DB * 6-0, 211 * Roswell (Roswell)

A.J. McCray * DB * 5-8, 203 * St. Marys (Camden County)

Fred Moore * DL * 5-11, 291 * Douglas (Coffee County)

David Noel * OL/DL * 6-2, 289 * Albany (Monroe)

Darreion Robinson * RB * 5-9, 185 * Bishop (Clarke Central)

Brent Russell * DT * 6-2, 287 * Bowman (Madison County)

J.B. Shippy * LB * 5-11, 205 * Gaffney, S.C. (Gaffney)

K.R. Snipes * DB * 5-9, 175 * Opelika, AL (Opelika)

Tyler Sumner * WR/ATH * 6-3, 212 * Pooler (Savannah Christian)

Jamical Tatum * OL * 5-11, 335 * LaGrange (Troup)

Marc Thomas * LB * 5-10, 215 * Tampa, FL (Hillsborough)

Roderick Tinsley * DE * 6-3, 236 * Soperton (Truetlen)

Adam Urbano * RB * 5-8, 190 * Calhoun (Calhoun)

Darryl Walker * DB * 6-2 * 176 * LaGrange (Callaway)

Gordon Warnell * OL * 6-2, 273 * Claxton (Pinewood Christian)

Demarcus Watts * WR * 6-0, 200 * Atlanta (Grady)

Tavaris Williams * LB * 5-11, 200 * Hahira (Lowndes County)

Markeith Wylie * DL * 6-0, 286 * Washington (Washington-Wilkes/Georgia Military)

ENROLLED IN JANUARY:

Chris Gray * OL * 6-5, 250 * Landrum, SC (Landrum)

Terence Hall * WR/ATH * 5-7, 180 * Milton, FL (Pace/Highland CC)

Darell Norman * WR/ATH * 5-10, 195 * Lincolnton (Lincoln County/UAB)

Darrell Pasco * DB * 6-0, 170 * (Countryside/Georgia Military)

Ricky Ponton * RB * 5-11, 215 * Tampa, FL (Hillsborough/South Florida)

straightshooter
February 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
One of the things that Rivals and Scout do is assign a two star to kids who have legitimate 1-A offers, even if they haven't evaluated them. That's the case with the kid that signed with Georgia Tech.

mrklean
February 6th, 2008, 03:02 PM
This is a great class!!!!! Has to be the Best in I-aa. I mean the ole Hatch man has done a great job.

The Hater-aid is being served!!!

yosef1969
February 6th, 2008, 03:50 PM
This is a great class!!!!! Has to be the Best in I-aa. I mean the ole Hatch man has done a great job.

The Hater-aid is being served!!!

Congrats to Hatcher and staff but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Not hater-aid at all but we won't know the reality of this statement until at least two years from now.

ButlerGSU
February 6th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Congrats to Hatcher and staff but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Not hater-aid at all but we won't know the reality of this statement until at least two years from now.

Exactly. While many of these kids will get a lot of playing time as freshmen, it will take them a year or two to develop. I look for GSU to struggle next season as we continue to adjust but I think we could be strong contenders in 2-4 years.

mrklean
February 6th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Exactly. While many of these kids will get a lot of playing time as freshmen, it will take them a year or two to develop. I look for GSU to struggle next season as we continue to adjust but I think we could be strong contenders in 2-4 years.

I expect us to do great things this year.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I expect us to do great things this year.

Someone needs to reset the needle on the record. It's starting to loop.

seantaylor
February 6th, 2008, 04:32 PM
This is easily the best class in FCS this year. Great job by the Hatchman. Tons of speed.

mrklean
February 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
This is easily the best class in FCS this year. Great job by the Hatchman. Tons of speed.

TOLD YOU ABOUT THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM

You've scouted all the other teams' signees?

Give me a break. Be happy with your guys, but they are totally unproven, some may wind up as academic casualties, and other programs brought in talent as well.

parr90
February 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM

Give it a rest man. We understand about the rating system. I for one have argued a thousand times with people about how the rating systems are flawed. The thing is that anyone of you guys would be happy to see 5 three star guys and 10 2 star guys on your list. It is a means of measuring talent even though it isnt perfect. No class is legit until until proven so but this is a good class and Hatcher has a nose for talent and has proven it.

trusty
February 6th, 2008, 05:27 PM
36 total.

Link to the Kids profiles. Looks like a very strong class. Great work for CH and his staff. xthumbsupx

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=90301&SPID=10890&ATCLID=1383233&DB_OEM_ID=18700

CID1990
February 6th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I was just about to post the same thing. More GSU delusions.

I think that he was referring to the number of pages on their rap sheets, not number of stars on their recruiting sheet.

psc2445
February 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Someone needs to reset the needle on the record. It's starting to loop.

1 point for you Paladin Fan, I giggled aloud

JDC325
February 6th, 2008, 06:12 PM
xnonox I guess you guys do not understand this is not the smack forum and the mods seem to be forgetting it as well. Sorry your allusions of GSU staying down more than a year or two are not going to happen. This is one of the best ON PAPER FCS classes of course you have to wait a couple of years to see if they pan out. However, GSU has done just fine and better than most the last twenty plus years with or without stars next to our recruits names. The hating on here is just ridiculous.

CID1990
February 6th, 2008, 06:15 PM
xnonox I guess you guys do not understand this is not the smack forum and the mods seem to be forgetting it as well. Sorry your allusions of GSU staying down more than a year or two are not going to happen. This is one of the best ON PAPER FCS classes of course you have to wait a couple of years to see if they pan out. However, GSU has done just fine and better than most the last twenty plus years with or without stars next to our recruits names. The hating on here is just ridiculous.

There are some other SoCon schools who have also had phenomenal recruiting seasons.

We're just not crowing about it like you guys, because we prefer to wait and see if they are really as good as the magazine says they are.

BDKJMU
February 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Ditto- usually freshman get into summer camp and are tested with times not as fast as advertised.

I remember the freahman team at my HS had this kid run a 4.3 something. He comesup to varsity and runs like a 4.67. The freshman coach's last name was Glover. The "Glover 40" was something like 35 yards.

I don't much much stock in 40 times that aren't electronically timed.

JDC325
February 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM
There are some other SoCon schools who have also had phenomenal recruiting seasons.

We're just not crowing about it like you guys, because we prefer to wait and see if they are really as good as the magazine says they are.

Yeah right, there is nothing wrong with being proud of your signing class. Especially when you had two short changed recruiting seasons due to coaching changes. I do not expect these guys to make a huge impact this year anyway. Jealousy is not a honorable trait from a Citadel man and reserve the smack for the smack forum. It is not to hard to do.

PaladinFan
February 6th, 2008, 06:19 PM

nah, but when your fans start calling it the best class in the FCS by far it just twitches some nerves. Every team (I assume) is quite happy with their class.

Furman, for one, doesn't have need for 36 signees or stable full of running backs. Teams addressed their needs, glad the Eagles addressed theirs.

Appinator
February 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Nothing but congrats from me, but for being smack dab in the middle of the most talent-filled recruiting hot-bed, I would have expected classes like this to be the norm. It just makes a victory over the Eagles just that more sweet this year, other than pure revenge.

JDC325
February 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM
nah, but when your fans start calling it the best class in the FCS by far it just twitches some nerves. Every team (I assume) is quite happy with their class.

Furman, for one, doesn't have need for 36 signees or stable full of running backs. Teams addressed their needs, glad the Eagles addressed theirs.

It twitches nerves for all the same ole reasons for most and SOME fans maybe a little over zealous but that is not just a GSU thing never has been. I think it will be a year from now before GSU is fully back anyway. Due to attrition from coaching changes and graduation it will take GSU I think two full years before we get to a fully scholarshipped team again and three to have an EXPERIENCED full scholarshipped team. So expect to see a good large signing class next year as well. Thanks for being civil.

asufan87
February 6th, 2008, 06:27 PM
So the Shippy kid is a 3 star player whose only other offer was from D-II Newberry. Oooooookayyyyyy. xeyebrowx

JDC325
February 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM
So the Shippy kid is a 3 star player whose only other offer was from D-II Newberry. Oooooookayyyyyy. xeyebrowx

Hey we do not rate them. Take it up with Rivals or Scout.

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Academics...

JMU2004
February 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I take much more stock in what other schools offfered than what his star rating is.......... When you're only other offer is a D2, the kid aint a 3* or he can't spell his name. Fact

bobbythekidd
February 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I take much more stock in what other schools offfered than what his star rating is.......... When you're only other offer is a D2, the kid aint a 3* or he can't spell his name. Fact
Reality can be a mother sometimes. I ever met the kid nor do I know is academic standing.

We will see soon enough. I expect we will lose a few to grades and poor choices, unfortunate as that may be.

CID1990
February 6th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah right, there is nothing wrong with being proud of your signing class. Especially when you had two short changed recruiting seasons due to coaching changes. I do not expect these guys to make a huge impact this year anyway. Jealousy is not a honorable trait from a Citadel man and reserve the smack for the smack forum. It is not to hard to do.

Cry me a river.

We had more coaching changes than you guys over the last ten years, get over it.

JDC325
February 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Cry me a river.

We had more coaching changes than you guys over the last ten years, get over it.

Dude let it gooooooooo!!! Again sorry your wish of years of us being worse than you did not happen. Did you have three coaches in less than two calender years, the last two only having about a month to recruit and then install two radically different offensive schemes? Not really apples to apples is it? I am not looking for sympathy, especially from school we finished ahead of last year. Just stating facts dude take your hateraid to the smack board.

psc2445
February 6th, 2008, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=JDC325;856827]Dude let it gooooooooo!!! Again sorry your wish of years of us being worse than you did not happen. Did you have three coaches in less than two calender years, the last two only having about a month to recruit and then install three radically different offensive schemes? Not really apples to apples is it? I am not looking for sympathy, especially from school we finished ahead of last year. Just stating facts dude take your hateraid to the smack board.[/

Dude, dude, you are starting to sound silly

JDC325
February 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=JDC325;856827]Dude let it gooooooooo!!! Again sorry your wish of years of us being worse than you did not happen. Did you have three coaches in less than two calender years, the last two only having about a month to recruit and then install three radically different offensive schemes? Not really apples to apples is it? I am not looking for sympathy, especially from school we finished ahead of last year. Just stating facts dude take your hateraid to the smack board.[/

Dude, dude, you are starting to sound silly

Learn the quote function before you call someone silly!!! xpeacex What is silly is folks talking smack in a none smack thread just because of petty jealousy.

KJ Eagle
February 6th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Cry me a river.

Yeah, that is something to brag about isn't it??xoopsx

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Give it a rest man. We understand about the rating system. I for one have argued a thousand times with people about how the rating systems are flawed. The thing is that anyone of you guys would be happy to see 5 three star guys and 10 2 star guys on your list. It is a means of measuring talent even though it isnt perfect. No class is legit until until proven so but this is a good class and Hatcher has a nose for talent and has proven it.

UD's got 8 people counting the transfers so far in this class - 1 four star guy, 1 three star guy, and 4 two star guys. All of that means pretty much nothing. Who knows, the no star guy we have could be the best of the bunch.

JDC325
February 6th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Your right in the long run but even though the rating systems are not perfect they do not give out stars for sucking.

youwouldno
February 6th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Your right in the long run but even though the rating systems are not perfect they do not give out stars for sucking.

Few D-I (FBS or FCS) players "suck." Virtually every single D-I scholarship player (and D-II for that matter) was a star in HS.

If Hatcher really does bring in the #1 FCS class every year for several years, then GSU should win multiple titles in the next 5 seasons. We'll see.

GannonFan
February 6th, 2008, 09:59 PM

I dunno, a lot of Duke players have gotten multiple stars (loads of 4 star recruits) over the years and I doubt they'd be .500 at the FCS level. xlolx xlolx xlolx

CID1990
February 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Dude let it gooooooooo!!! Again sorry your wish of years of us being worse than you did not happen. Did you have three coaches in less than two calender years, the last two only having about a month to recruit and then install two radically different offensive schemes? Not really apples to apples is it? I am not looking for sympathy, especially from school we finished ahead of last year. Just stating facts dude take your hateraid to the smack board.

Actually, yes we did. Right after Taaffe was fired.

CID1990
February 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
BTW... JDC, many of you are notorious for talking smack on the discussion channel. There's a thread started just a couple places away from this one that serves as a pretty good example. Zing me with negative rep all you want, but you guys are smack magnets.

The reason you get smacked everywhere is because nobody likes GSU very much. Good luck with your stars. Maybe they will speed up your move to FBS.

MountaineerMania54
February 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
i love how the GSU guys say that everyone else is talking smack about them when they are the ones proclaiming the best recruiting class in the history of FCS (I-AA) football. People are just simply stating that they do not believe your comments, get over it.

seantaylor
February 7th, 2008, 12:26 AM
You've got to love the Chitadel hating. They've got guys coming in that couldn't crack the starting lineup on a good intramurals team.

ASU
February 7th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Hey we do not rate them. Take it up with Rivals or Scout.

My goodness, gracious......GaSo Signed 30 Plus players....guess out of 30 Plus you could have a few good players................................thought the NCAA limit was 25 in one year.

Maybe some are transfers......does that not still count in the 25 Max?

Guess you guys will have to unsign a dozen or so.

By the way.....wasn't GaSo Penalized by the NCAA for Academic performance and restricted in their recruiting? How many scholarships did you lose? When does that go off?

mrklean
February 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM
My goodness, gracious......GaSo Signed 30 Plus players....guess out of 30 Plus you could have a few good players................................thought the NCAA limit was 25 in one year.

By the way.....wasn't GaSo Penalized by the NCAA for Academic performance and restricted in their recruiting? How many scholarships did you lose? When does that go off?

STOP THE HATE!!!!!

ChiefGSU275
February 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM

We were penalized, but we have worked our way back to full scholarships now. The limit is 30 scholarships per year, but in the great state of Georgia, we can offer a full ride with just partial athletic scholarships and the Hope Scholarship, which allows us to break up some of the 30.

And i figure out of the 30, if we get a solid 12-15, we'll be doing ok.

blueballs
February 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
My goodness!!!!!!

I didn't realize the GSU fans, who are among the best fans in FCS, were so despised. Why????? Because a student goes on a message board and says the class is the best ever????? Or becsaue some, not all, students behave the exact same way they are treated at some of our rivals' yards?

You older guys should be ashamed of yourselves and stop taking yourselves so seriously. This is a football messageboard. I would hope rabid fans of any team should be encouraged, not hated on or derided. I would hope that every fan who reads or posts here thinks the same thing about their school's recruiting class.

FWIW I think App's class that just graduated is the best in the history of the division because they won three rings, followed by GSU's senior classes of 1990 and 2001 and YSU's class of 1994.

BTW, it is my understanding that the NCAA only allows 30 scollies to be given out in any one year in the FCS division. The rather large classes GSU and Montana had don't violate the rule if partial schollies are given. In GSU's case, some of these in state kids are strong enough academically to qualify for the state sponsored "Hope Scholarship," which can pay a good chunk of the costs of college, and allow the football staff to spread out the 30 allowable rides over more than 30 players.

On paper, the GSU class is stellar, I don't know how anybody who follows football in the southeast in general and GA and FL in particular can argue that. However, as with any group of kids, that doesn't guarantee success. Success must be earned every single day; but it is my opinion that our staff and institution can create an environment that, if the kids are willing to pay the price, will allow these kids to be as good on the field as they are on paper.

If you hate that then you need some counseling...

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Like I said in the other thread, I really don't think Chris Hatcher won a DII championship and had the kind of W/L record that he had by letting media hype guide his recruiting. I would be willing to bet that this will turn out to be one of the best, if not the best recruiting class for this year in the FCS (who said it was the best ever, anyways?).

And besides, GSU's signing class is very big, and for every few players that are not as good as they look on paper, you have one that is better than he looks on paper. Every prospector knows that the more dirt you sift through, the more likely you are to find gold nuggets.

JDC325
February 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
BTW... JDC, many of you are notorious for talking smack on the discussion channel. There's a thread started just a couple places away from this one that serves as a pretty good example. Zing me with negative rep all you want, but you guys are smack magnets.

The reason you get smacked everywhere is because nobody likes GSU very much. Good luck with your stars. Maybe they will speed up your move to FBS.

Wow consumed I see. Yes success does breed hate and jealousy as well it appears. Oh and Citdog puts you guys at the top for smack talking in this FORUM. Looks like he has a protege.

JDC325
February 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM

The max is 30 I believe and you can give partial schollies but you knew that right?
BTW we lost schollies to the convaluted APR but we have them back last time I checked and I don't believe we were ever restricted in recruiting whatever that means. Next.
xcoffeex

rudy1648
February 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Reality can be a mother sometimes. .
We will see soon enough. I expect we will lose a few to grades and poor choices, unfortunate as that may be.

I ever met the kid nor do I know is academic standing

After decyphering,,,,you either have a problem with your right hand pointing finger or you type with a British accent. Or maybe they just talk that way in GA.

rudy1648
February 7th, 2008, 12:50 PM
You've got to love the Chitadel hating. They've got guys coming in that couldn't crack the starting lineup on a good intramurals team.

SMACK PATROL. You are in violation of smack mouth on a NON-SMACK thread. Deduct 2 Three Star players.

JDC325
February 7th, 2008, 12:58 PM

After decyphering,,,,you either have a problem with your right hand pointing finger or you type with a British accent. Or maybe they just talk that way in GA.

The ole lame keystroke error and grammar smack. I guess you are new here.

bobbythekidd
February 7th, 2008, 01:14 PM

You have got to be kidding me. I miss the N and you call me out?? I was even agreeing with a an Appy fan on GSU thread when I did it. Give me a break.xnonono2x

GreatAppSt
February 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM
My goodness!!!!!!

I didn't realize the GSU fans, who are among the best fans in FCS, were so despised. Why????? Because a student goes on a message board and says the class is the best ever????? Or becsaue some, not all, students behave the exact same way they are treated at some of our rivals' yards?

You older guys should be ashamed of yourselves and stop taking yourselves so seriously. This is a football messageboard. I would hope rabid fans of any team should be encouraged, not hated on or derided. I would hope that every fan who reads or posts here thinks the same thing about their school's recruiting class.

FWIW I think App's class that just graduated is the best in the history of the division because they won three rings, followed by GSU's senior classes of 1990 and 2001 and YSU's class of 1994.

BTW, it is my understanding that the NCAA only allows 30 scollies to be given out in any one year in the FCS division. The rather large classes GSU and Montana had don't violate the rule if partial schollies are given. In GSU's case, some of these in state kids are strong enough academically to qualify for the state sponsored "Hope Scholarship," which can pay a good chunk of the costs of college, and allow the football staff to spread out the 30 allowable rides over more than 30 players.

On paper, the GSU class is stellar, I don't know how anybody who follows football in the southeast in general and GA and FL in particular can argue that. However, as with any group of kids, that doesn't guarantee success. Success must be earned every single day; but it is my opinion that our staff and institution can create an environment that, if the kids are willing to pay the price, will allow these kids to be as good on the field as they are on paper.

If you hate that then you need some counseling...

:p :p

GaSouthern
February 8th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The only people who should be worried about GSU is OOC schools like CCU that we play again in a few years. If we can keep Hatcher for a few more years we should make a run in chatty!

Soar7
February 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I've scanned through most all of the recruiting classes posted on this site and I've read various responses from fans representing many different schools.However, I couldn't help but notice the negative replies associated with the GSU recruits.
All fans like to rave about the student-athletes that their respective schools have landed and rightly so. Why do so many of you guys love to chastise anything that a GSU fan posts on this site.
If you don't really care or put much thought in the ranking of an athlete from a different school then just keep it to yourself.
I hope the best for the other student-athletes across the country-just not when they play the 6 time NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, GEORGIA SOUTHERN EAGLES!

BDKJMU
February 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Yes, because it's self fulfilling. If Alabama or USC or Florida wants a guy, he gets a high rating. It's really that easy. And of course, there's no way to be proven wrong on a recruiting class because by the time they take the field a couple of years from now, there's been 1-2 other recruiting classes anyway and no one cares to revisit the rankings.

Want to boost your rating a whole star? Say a couple of IA schools are heavily interested in you. The schools can't comment and there's no way to verify so bingo - another star.

Yeah, obviously some kids boost their recruiting rankings by making up stories about who's recruiting them.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2008-02-06-reno-confession_N.htm