PDA

View Full Version : I-A vs I-AA

BisBison
September 22nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Does anyone have the year to date record of I-AA teams vs I-A teams so far? I know of at least a couple victorys UCD vs furd the latest. There also have been some real close calls Mont St vs OK St, but what is the record so far?

FlyBoy8
September 22nd, 2005, 10:32 PM
2-38.

but there have been several close calls.

AZGrizFan
September 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM
2-38.

but there have been several close calls.

How's that saying go again? Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and, what was that other thing? :confused: Oh yeah, I-AA losses to I-A teams. Funny. Us Griz fans brag about holding Oregon to 6 field goals, but the bottom line is, we still got beat by over 30. A moral victory for the defense, I guess. :( Can't wait to see how long we go before a I-AA team actually scores against us, though! :)

FlyBoy8
September 23rd, 2005, 01:24 AM
2-39.

FlyBoy8
September 23rd, 2005, 01:40 AM
Best remaining chance for an upset has to be UMass @ Army, but I don't think that will happen.

FlyBoy8
September 23rd, 2005, 02:16 AM
Best remaining chance for an upset

:D

eagleskins
September 23rd, 2005, 04:22 AM
Best remaining chance for an upset has to be UMass @ Army, but I don't think that will happen.

If Umass can't beat Army, than they absolutely suck.

AZGrizFan
September 23rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=46828
2004 I-AA v. I-A, 55 Games, I-AA record: 6-49
2003 I-AA v. I-A, 64 Games, I-AA record: 10-54
2002 I-AA v. I-A, 59 Games, I-AA record: 7-52
2001 I-AA v. I-A, 52 Games + 6 Ppd., I-AA record: 7-45
2000 I-AA v. I-A, 45 Games, I-AA record: 14-31

44-231 16% I-AA wins

That's depressing. :mad: All of our bluster about how close we are to I-A in terms of talent, and we're about to experience our worst year of this century. Bahhh! :( :( At the risk of repeating myself, I'd rather see UM's OOC schedule include UD, UMass, Hofstra, SHSU, NDSU, SDSU, CalPoly, etc., than any more Pac-10 or WAC teams. More exciting, and I can actually relate to their fans...

IaaScribe
September 23rd, 2005, 09:47 AM
I think FIU will beat FAMU and lose to WKU.

ChickenMan
September 23rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
If Umass can't beat Army, than they absolutely suck.

UMass couldn't beat Colgate... does that count... :D

FlyBoy8
September 23rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
That's depressing. All of our bluster about how close we are to I-A in terms of talent, and we're about to experience our worst year of this century.

It's because of a couple reasons:

1. Nobody played Idaho, Buffalo, Ball St., Temple, etc. That's been our bread and butter.
2. Some teams with recent sucess vs. I-A didn't play any this year (Delaware, UNH, Villanova)
3. Some good teams played over their heads (Montana, soon to be WKU)
4. The OVC no longer carries its weight vs. I-A (0-8). They used to be able to take out some weaker I-As.

colonel84
September 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
Although it pains me to say this - WKU should thump FIU

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2005, 12:28 PM
The record will only to continue to get worse with the new ruling where one 1AA game counts as a bowl eligible win. We should see more bowl-type teams (which in the past would not schedule these games) play 1AA teams. Teams like ASU, JMU, and Furman are signing contests with teams like Florida and VT which haven't played many if any 1AA games.

Hansel
September 23rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
It's because of a couple reasons:

1. Nobody played Idaho, Buffalo, Ball St., Temple, etc. That's been our bread and butter.
2. Some teams with recent sucess vs. I-A didn't play any this year (Delaware, UNH, Villanova)
3. Some good teams played over their heads (Montana, soon to be WKU)
4. The OVC no longer carries its weight vs. I-A (0-8). They used to be able to take out some weaker I-As.
Didn't Nova lose to Rutgers???

OrneryAggie
September 23rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
10/8 Portland St at Boise St.

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2005, 02:01 PM
10/8 Portland St at Boise St.

That one could get ugly - no one really wins at Boise.

FlyBoy8
September 23rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
The record will only to continue to get worse with the new ruling where one 1AA game counts as a bowl eligible win. We should see more bowl-type teams (which in the past would not schedule these games) play 1AA teams.

The upside is that eventually one of the big boys is going to fall hard. I predict a top 25 I-A team (according to the polls) will lose to a I-AA team in the next 5-10 years. It will probably be early in the season against a team that shouldn't have been in the top 25 in the first place.

Delaware @ Maryland

:D

Cocky
September 23rd, 2005, 03:07 PM

What conference is carrying their weight? GWFC and The Southland are the only ones with wins.

FlyBoy8
September 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Yes, but only the Big Sky and OVC have more than five I-A losses. They're both 0-8.

So, the Big Sky and OVC aren't carrying their weight. In the past, they've usually won a game or two.

Cocky
September 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
Yes, but only the Big Sky and OVC have more than five I-A losses. They're both 0-8.

So, the Big Sky and OVC aren't carrying their weight. In the past, they've usually won a game or two.

The OVC hasn't beaten anybody OOC. Our overall record vs. I-AA is terrible muchless vs. I-A.

charliej
September 23rd, 2005, 05:36 PM
Didn't Nova lose to Rutgers???

Nova got SPANKED by Rutgers. 38-6 :eek:

Word out of Nova is that the game scheduled against Auburn next year is being replaced by UCF.Auburn wanted to buy out of the game & will pay the balance on $500,000 not picked up by UCF.

2007-Maryland
2008-WVU

UCF-Nova link (scroll to bottom of page) http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-ucfnotes18sep18,0,4438101.story

IaaScribe
September 24th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Yeah, but Indiana State also got wasted by an NAIA team by more than four TDs, so they don't count. ;)

skinny_uncle
September 24th, 2005, 04:54 PM
But you must agree that Indiana State is a lock for last place in the Gateway this year.
:eyebrow:

Killtoppers90
September 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Well I know WKU played their butts off today. The #1 ranking is gone (which is fine with me) but I know this game meant a lot to the guys and their mental toughness. Auburn has some BIG boys playing for them and many all-SEC or all-American candidates. And we held our own for the most part. We kept them a hair under 400 total yards Offensively. Which, this is a good a-1 squad. So we lost but scored some major swagger going into conference play next week.

Reed Rothchild
September 24th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Well I know WKU played their butts off today. The #1 ranking is gone (which is fine with me) but I know this game meant a lot to the guys and their mental toughness. Auburn has some BIG boys playing for them and many all-SEC or all-American candidates. And we held our own for the most part. We kept them a hair under 400 total yards Offensively. Which, this is a good a-1 squad. So we lost but scored some major swagger going into conference play next week.

WKU scares me now more than they ever have. Seriously, we might be in for another classic in Bowling Green. Can't wait for conference play to start!

Killtoppers90
September 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I am hoping that WKU's performance yesterday can carry over into a huge boost of confidence in conference play. Let's get it on Gateway!