PDA

View Full Version : QB Tommy Reamon Jr. announced commitment to ODU over Mizzou and other 1As

ODUfootballfan
February 6th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Gloucester's Reamon Jr. picks ODU
By Dave Johnson | [email protected]

Gloucester quarterback Tommy Reamon Jr. announced his commitment to Old Dominion University Tuesday night.
Reamon, ranked the 21st-best dual threat quarterback in the nation by Rivals.com, said he turned down offers from Buffalo, South Florida and Missouri. He will be joining a program that will begin playing in 2009.
"I look at it as history in the making," Reamon said. "One hundred years from now, when people talk about the history of Old Dominion, they’ll be able to say that Tommy Reamon Jr. was the quarterback. I love the thought of that."
Reamon said he is eager to spend the 2008-09 school year as a redshirt.
"I was going to do that regardless of where I went," he said. "That’s so critical in learning the offense."
Reamon’s high school career didn’t offer eye-popping statistics or championships. In three seasons as the Dukes’ starter, he completed 46 percent of his passes for 2,441 yards. He threw 13 touchdown passes and 36 interceptions. Gloucester went 1-9 in each of the past two seasons.
But it was hard to get a true sense of his talents given the lack of personnel around him. Specifically, Reamon often had to throw on the run because his protection had broken down.
But Reamon impressed recruiters with strong performances at summer camps, including Air 7 Quarterback University and the U.S. Army Combine.
Reamon is one of two quarterbacks who have committed to Old Dominion. Bobby Cooper of Edgewater, Md., another dual-threat quarterback, gave a commitment to the Monarchs earlier this week.
ODU has 18 known commitments, including two others from Peninsula District prospects: Denbigh safety Devon Simmons and Phoebus wideout Reid Evans. The class will redshirt and then have four seasons of eligibility beginning in ’09.

BearsCountry
February 6th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Not to bust your bubble but Mizzou has 2 big time in-state QB's coming in.

Monarch History
February 6th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Not to bust your bubble but Mizzou has 2 big time in-state QB's coming in.

Then don't! xsmhx xsmhx

I think Reamon is a good get but I'm also excited about Bobby Copper our other QB. He's a big kid with a strong arm. I think Coach Wilder got two good quarterbacks who hopefully can run his system. Only time will tell. xnodx

Ronbo
February 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
who in there right mind would go to Buffalo?

These guys.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?SID=880&Year=2008&School=110

Go...gate
February 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM
His father played in the WFL and then with the KC Chiefs, right?

ODUfootballfan
February 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM
You did not burst my bubble, my point was a simple one - he chose to go to ODU - a brand new 1AA program - over a very good 1A program. I am simple pointing out that we are attracting commitments from very good players that are being considered by very good 1A programs.... QUALITY PLAYERS FOR A QUALITY SCHOOL, AND WHAT WILL QUICKLY BECOME A QUALITY FOOTBALL PROGRAM. ALSO SEE THIS NY TIME ARTICLE:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/sports/ncaafootball/06odu.html?ex=1202965200&en=cc28100327b625c6&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Monarch History
February 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
His father played in the WFL and then with the KC Chiefs, right?

His dad was co-MVP in the WFL in '74 and with KC in '76.

ODUfootballfan
February 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
GO GATE: WHEN DID YOU GRADUATE FROM 'GATE?

ODUfootballfan
February 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
This article was on Scout.com - when it was thought that Missouri was the leading choice for Reamon. Though you can ignore the Mizzou references, take a look at the quotes about from his Dad/Couch, and about the overall evaluation of his talents......

Mizzou Likely to Add Another QB?

"He's another great one."
By Jeff Ermann
InsideMizzou
Posted Jan 3, 2008

There’s no lack of guidance for Gloucester (Va.) quarterback Tommy Reamon Jr., whose father is a renowned high school coach who groomed stars Michael Vick, Aaron Brooks and Marcus Vick. Thus, the Reamons are taking their time in the recruiting process and not giving away much of their gameplan. But it’s clear Missouri, where Tommy Reamon Sr. played his college ball, is among his foremost options.

The Reamons have formed a strong bond with the Mizzou coaching staff – Reamon Sr. was in the Pittsburgh Steelers training camp with MU’s coach several decades ago – and plan to take another visit to Missouri on Jan. 12. The visit isn’t set in stone yet, as they could opt to go check out South Florida instead that weekend, but that’s only because they already know more than enough about the program.

“I could call Pinkel tomorrow and tell him we’re not coming. A campus visit isn’t going to do anything at this point,” said the elder Reamon. “We came out for the Missouri-Kansas game, and that was a statement of our interest, but we plan to go back out there on the 12th … They are doing a fabulous job out there.”

Reamon Jr. is a 6-foot-2-and-a-half inch senior who is also considering South Florida, Buffalo and Old Dominion. The family plans to decide at the end of the month, but is holding its cards closely.

“The interest in our part is there and the interest on their part is there. They’re going to take two quarterbacks,” he said.

There has been some speculation that perhaps Reamon Jr. could be recruited as an athlete, but his father said it’s far from the case.

“If you want to have a conversation about him playing another position, you can walk right out of the building right now,” he said. “I’ve had too many great ones and he’s another great one.”

He said his son’s decision will primarily come down to his feel for the head coach and quarterbacks coach, which certainly would seem to play in Mizzou’s favor.

“Coach [David] Yost is wonderful and has been that way since we were with him and Brad Smith during Brad Smith’s freshman year,” said Reamon Sr.

He said both Virginia and Virginia tech have called recently about getting back in on his son, but that’s unlikely to happen. He also said the athletic Reamon Jr. would be a fantastic fit for Mizzou’s offense.

“He would do what Brad Smith did when he had to. That’s what Chase [Daniel

Go...gate
February 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM
GO GATE: WHEN DID YOU GRADUATE FROM 'GATE?

A very long time ago.