PDA

View Full Version : ASU-LSU 2008 starting to look real

GGASU
February 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
There have been reports from the North Texas players that LSU has moved the 2008 game to 2009.

The LSU advocate now shows North Texas on the 2009 schedule, in the spot where ASU was. The talk on the LSU message board is that ASU and NT swapped years on the schedule.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/8413772.html

Appinator
February 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
I wonder what their thoughts about the game are. Worried? Excited? Cocky?

Touchdown Yosef
February 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
This could be bigger than an ESPN deal as well. I have heard that ABC has interest in it.

Appinator
February 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
I would personally love to drive to Baton Rouge to throw cup cakes at Kirk Herbstreit. Hell hath no fury like a Mountaineer on a mission.

Herbstreit needs to get his own show on Bravo and leave the sports business to the rest of us.

Touchdown Yosef
February 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'll meet you there cupcakes in hand. My friends and I talked about renting an RV to make the trip, perhaps a giant waterballon launcher on the roof would add distance to the cupcakes. Being able to launch them at 200 yds could be a nice touch.

bench
February 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM
We're hearing it, and apparently LSU's fans are hearing it. Please make this happen. xprayx

Also, Kirk Herbstreit can eat a bag of dicks.

thmst30
February 1st, 2008, 04:20 PM
SOOOOOOOOO hope this is true, I would love to head to LSU next year. Games down there are incredible no matter what. However if we do actually win again, I would hate myself for not being there and missing the look on Les Miles face.

Touchdown Yosef
February 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Les Miles is a Michigan man...

proasu89
February 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
I wonder what their thoughts about the game are. Worried? Excited? Cocky?

I'm pretty sure you can eliminate Worried and Excited. Don't get me wrong, they won't look past us, but they'll go about their business and make sure they don't choke on a cupcake. We'll give it our best shot and see if we can give them a game. We gained a little respect in 05 so it would be nice to build on that.

thmst30
February 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM
Until they put us up there on the 08 schedule, then I can't get excited. Could be they moved North Texas to our spot and dropped us completely. The guys on the LSU boards have no proof so I need to see something official.

phillyAPP
February 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Until they put us up there on the 08 schedule, then I can't get excited. Could be they moved North Texas to our spot and dropped us completely. The guys on the LSU boards have no proof so I need to see something official.

I want something more CONCRETE but i am loving the jitters i am getting about going back to Louisiana.xnodx xnodx xnodx

appstate38
February 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Anybody heard if this is the last game needed to be filled on the schedule??? Was kinda hoping the schedule would have been out by now.

Appinator
February 1st, 2008, 05:10 PM
Anybody heard if this is the last game needed to be filled on the schedule??? Was kinda hoping the schedule would have been out by now.

8 SoCon games gives us 4 available OOC games. Jacksonville, Presby, and JMU all have been announced. So yes, this would finalize our slate.

hapapp
February 1st, 2008, 05:30 PM
I think this game would have great appeal. But, let's not fool ourselves. We won't be playing a Michigan team that has no idea who we are. This is LSU. They know we'll come to play. They will be supremely motivated to beat us. While we have shown our ability to beat a top ranked BCS program, that's no guarantee we do every time we play one of these games.

I think our victory over Michigan and our 3 NCs may have created the impetus for this game. While there are certainly a good number of positives that come out of this, there are some risks as well. Nonetheless, I think it would be exciting if this comes to pass.

If we get this opportunity, I hope our fans can avoid displays of bravado and can show some understanding of what a daunting task it will be to go to BR and beat LSU. Not advocating we throw in the towel. We proved last Sept what's possible. But, let's approach this with a tinge of realism if we do get the chance.

appstate38
February 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Agreed!!!

Peems
February 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Even though the last thing I want is for ASU to win another title, it would be great to see them play LSU and win. I can imagine Armanti running this way and that and single handedly winning the game (and then leaving early for the nfl draft :o)

APPride
February 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think this game would have great appeal. But, let's not fool ourselves. We won't be playing a Michigan team that has no idea who we are. This is LSU. They know we'll come to play. They will be supremely motivated to beat us. While we have shown our ability to beat a top ranked BCS program, that's no guarantee we do every time we play one of these games.

I think our victory over Michigan and our 3 NCs may have created the impetus for this game. While there are certainly a good number of positives that come out of this, there are some risks as well. Nonetheless, I think it would be exciting if this comes to pass.

If we get this opportunity, I hope our fans can avoid displays of bravado and can show some understanding of what a daunting task it will be to go to BR and beat LSU. Not advocating we throw in the towel. We proved last Sept what's possible. But, let's approach this with a tinge of realism if we do get the chance.

well said... xthumbsupx

NDSUFREAK
February 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
This could be bigger than an ESPN deal as well. I have heard that ABC has interest in it.
which is pretty much ESPN

LehighFan11
February 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
Im so hyped for this game already. If App St was able to go into death valley and not get blow out under this pressure I would be super impressed. I would be a huge ASU fan that day along with 99% of america.

T-Dog
February 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
On the App boards, someone mentioned Jerry Moore saying at a seminar not-so-long ago that a "Huge Game" is in the works and he wanted to let that cat out of the bag.

MR. CHICKEN
February 1st, 2008, 10:16 PM
OH BRUTTER.......YA'LL MUSTA HAD TA.....KNOCK OUT UH WALL.......TA GET YER HEADS INSIDE......WHAA NOT JES' SKED DUH PATS......xconfusedx...........BRAWK!

DLS
February 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
if god really does love me then he'll make this game happen.

dont fail me now lord

GaSouthern
February 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Even though the last thing I want is for ASU to win another title, it would be great to see them play LSU and win. I can imagine Armanti running this way and that and single handedly winning the game (and then leaving early for the nfl draft :o)

That would be PERFECT!!!

LSU gets beat by a I-AA / FCS

ASU does not win the national championship game

and Armanti leaves for the NFL so we get one less year of him.

Now throw in a GSU win over ASU AGAIN and this would be an awesome year xbowx

AppStateold299
February 2nd, 2008, 10:52 AM
I think Armanti will make it to the NFL, but not early. He will need 4 years of amazement to get there. When he gets there I doubt anyone will give him the shot at QB though. Part of me is just scared he will leave early given his success. Although why would you leave somewhere early when they treated you like a god?

Appstate29
February 2nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think Armanti will make it to the NFL, but not early. He will need 4 years of amazement to get there. When he gets there I doubt anyone will give him the shot at QB though. Part of me is just scared he will leave early given his success. Although why would you leave somewhere early when they treated you like a god?

To get paid millions of dollars and be treated like a God?

LehighFan11
February 2nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
There is no way armanti leaves early from ASU to go to the pros. He would have to transfer FBS if he really wanted to do that, but that would be pointless. He will stay at app and get drafted in the 5th round or so as a chance pick.

B&G
February 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM

Let's come back down to the Planet Earth here folks. Armanti isn't going pro early. Wishful thinking by some I am sure. But even the great Steve McNair didn't go pro early.

AppStateold299
February 2nd, 2008, 05:08 PM
The only way he is making millions coming out of college is if he is a lottery pick. Now lets be rational and realistic. There is no way a FCS QB is going to be a lottery pick. He is going to finish out his tenure at ASU and become a NFL WR. I am glad to see him play at any level. He is an amazing athlete.

GGASU
February 2nd, 2008, 05:28 PM
The only way he is making millions coming out of college is if he is a lottery pick. Now lets be rational and realistic. There is no way a FCS QB is going to be a lottery pick. He is going to finish out his tenure at ASU and become a NFL WR. I am glad to see him play at any level. He is an amazing athlete.

Every player in the first round last year makes at least one million a year guaranteed...not including signing bonus

http://www.godlovesthegators.com/2007/08/2007-nfl-first-round-rookie-contract.html

(The lottery is in the NBA draft not the NFL)

AppMan
February 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
.... this would be an awesome year xbowx

No, that would be a pipe dream. :>)

Seriously, I think the ASU faithful better be mindful of what they wish for....

Peems
February 2nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
I was only kidding about Armanti leaving early. There is no way he could play QB a year early in the NFL. The guys are just as fast as him and twice as big and are gunning to kill him, he'll stay down here for a while longer, no matter how many of us wish he were gone :o

BluehenJK
February 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Now way a FCS QB would a lottery pick???? Ever heard of Steve McNair. And the NFL doesnt have lottery picks its the NBA. I think the comparison for Edwards would be Atwaan Randle-El. Edwards would be moved to WR/returner in the NFL. I know they tried Randle-El at WR at Indiana for a short while in his career at Indiana but Edwards has showed he can make people miss so the NFL sees that. Look at Josh Cribbs he went from a MAC QB to a playmaker kick/punt returner. I think Edwards (if he stays healthy) will make a good player in the NFL as a returner/WR like Randle-El has. For Edwards when he does go to the NFL draft his all-star game workouts and combine workouts will be the determining factor for his NFL draft status.

KiddBrewer
February 2nd, 2008, 09:27 PM
not an armanti thread, there are enough of those already. its about the POSSIBLE game.

on that note, if its going to happen, history would say that we should get an announcement somewhere around February 16th. That's roughly when we found out we were playing Michigan last year, and that turned out pretty good. Im down for the trip if it does go down, but ill be going down their realizing that LSU, is good, very good, and will be good again. However, I wont write us off.

Appaholic
February 3rd, 2008, 01:22 AM
Spoke to the wife about taking a vacation to Louisiana this September.....would love to experience game day in Baton Rouge.....I hear they like to party.....xnodx

McNeese_beat
February 3rd, 2008, 02:14 AM
I covered a hand full of LSU games this year, including the BCS game and the Virginia Tech game. Let me tell you, they are everything they are cracked up to be. The thing that stood out to me is their safeties were not only as fast as you would expect a top-tier SEC team to be, but these guys were all 6-2, 6-3, 200-220 pounds. They looked like a bunch of FCS DEs running around with 4.3 and 4.4 40s. Chad Jones, next year's free safety, is 6-3, 220 and RUNS! He'll be a baseball draft pick too. I fully expect him to be a legit first-round draft pick in one or two years in the NFL.

They took really good Ohio State and Virginia Tech teams and totally outclassed them. Completely manhandled them. They did have two losses, but I think if you trace LSU's season, you'd find that exactly the players they could not afford to get injured, got injured (Dorsey and Doucet). Firing on all cylinders, LSU was CLEARLY the best team in the nation, in my opinion.

To put it mildly, it's going to be a lot harder to run the spread againt LSU than it was Michigan.

Also, watch out for Ricky Jean-Francois. He's a 6-3, 280-pound defensive end who I think is every bit as good as Dorsey, if not better. The guy is bigger than Dorsey in terms of his natural body build, but he's fast enough to be a speed rusher off the edge. He's a complete beast. You could slim him down 10 pounds and he'd probably run like a linebacker. Or you could bulk him to 300 and put him at DT and nobody would notice Dorsey ever left.

Where I think they may a little vulnerable is on offense. They've got some talented running backs coming back, but one of them (probably Williams) is going to have to live up to the hype. The QB (Perrilloux) was once the nation's top-rated prep QB, but the jury is still out on him. And with Early Doucet gone, there isn't a star WR on the roster.

Overall, I found that in terms of pure talent, the 2007 LSU team compared favorably to the 2000 Miami team of Dorsey, Portis, Davenport, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Jeremy Shockey, Bryant McKinnie, Ed Reed, Dan Morgan, etc., etc., etc. In other words, in five-six years I would not be surprised to see that the pro bowl is a who's who of ex-LSU players from the late 2000s era.

By the way...go get 'em Appies!!!!

Syntax Error
February 3rd, 2008, 02:23 AM
So you think ASU gets shut out again?

KiddBrewer
February 3rd, 2008, 02:27 AM
boy i do hope we get this game....but boy it sure does scare me...BUT.....

BOY WILL IT BE FUN!xnodx :D xthumbsupx

GO CHARLIE!!!xthumbsupx

Poly Pigskin
February 3rd, 2008, 03:06 AM
Firing on all cylinders, LSU was CLEARLY the best team in the nation, in my opinion.

There's a certain team in Southern California that is pretty damn good themselves, some might argue better. It would be a hell of a game to see, either way.

As for the ASU vs LSU matchup, I would absolutely love to see it, and I think ABC/CBS/ESPN/Whoever would be retarded not to pick it up and bill it as the battle of D-I champs (even though we know who the REAL champ is). I doubted ASU last year, and I would definitely doubt them again, but I would not be disappointed to be wrong again. I would much rather see a different school win a big-time game to give FCS more respect as a whole, but if App is able to fight the whole battle themselves, then more power to them! xthumbsupx

JohnStOnge
February 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
So far, listening to Baton Rouge sports talk radio, I haven't heard mention of North Texas being off the schedule. However, this board is not the only place where I've seen that scenario described.

Did hear App State mentioned on Baton Rouge WSCR 1210 sports talk last week, but it was basically an insult that reflects what I think is a hopeless skull density condition afflicting the LSU media/fan community.

On their show "The Fastest Hour," hosts Matt Moscona and Josh Innes got into a discussion of LSU's September 13 open date (they think it's going to be a BCS league opponent). They started talking about non conference scheduling in general and got to Troy. At first they thought Troy is in CUSA and started talking about how that's OK and mentioned Troy's wins over Missouri and Oklahoma State.

After a break they came back and corrected themselves to say Troy is in the Sun Belt. That realization appeared to make them think somewhat less of the Trojans but they specifically said they'd rather see Troy than "Appalachian State."

That someone would prefer to see Troy on LSU's schedule rather than App State at this time is, to me, mind boggling. Troy's win rate against BCS league teams since joining the Sun Belt (0.167) is comparable to that of teams that have gone to the I-AA/FCS playoffs over the same period (0.174). And those two Troy wins have been home games that were looked upon by the Trojan community as among the biggest games in their program history. Obviously, I-AA/FCS playoff teams haven't enjoyed the benefit of home games against BCS league teams. I think that supports the belief that what you're talking about in Troy is comparable to one of the better FCS teams. And, with App State, you've got the potential cache of having a team that made world headlines by beating Michigan in 2007. The fact that the quarterback that got so much pub after the Michigan win will be back adds to the attraction as well.

If there wouldn't be more fan interest in seeing LSU host App State than there will be in seeing the Tigers host Troy next year, there's something amiss with fans.

nwFL Griz
February 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
So far, listening to Baton Rouge sports talk radio, I haven't heard mention of North Texas being off the schedule. However, this board is not the only place where I've seen that scenario described.

Did hear App State mentioned on Baton Rouge WSCR 1210 sports talk last week, but it was basically an insult that reflects what I think is a hopeless skull density condition afflicting the LSU media/fan community.

On their show "The Fastest Hour," hosts Matt Moscona and Josh Innes got into a discussion of LSU's September 13 open date (they think it's going to be a BCS league opponent). They started talking about non conference scheduling in general and got to Troy. At first they thought Troy is in CUSA and started talking about how that's OK and mentioned Troy's wins over Missouri and Oklahoma State.

After a break they came back and corrected themselves to say Troy is in the Sun Belt. That realization appeared to make them think somewhat less of the Trojans but they specifically said they'd rather see Troy than "Appalachian State."

That someone would prefer to see Troy on LSU's schedule rather than App State at this time is, to me, mind boggling. Troy's win rate against BCS league teams since joining the Sun Belt (0.167) is comparable to that of teams that have gone to the I-AA/FCS playoffs over the same period (0.174). And those two Troy wins have been home games that were looked upon by the Trojan community as among the biggest games in their program history. Obviously, I-AA/FCS playoff teams haven't enjoyed the benefit of home games against BCS league teams. I think that supports the belief that what you're talking about in Troy is comparable to one of the better FCS teams. And, with App State, you've got the potential cache of having a team that made world headlines by beating Michigan in 2007. The fact that the quarterback that got so much pub after the Michigan win will be back adds to the attraction as well.

If there wouldn't be more fan interest in seeing LSU host App State than there will be in seeing the Tigers host Troy next year, there's something amiss with fans.

Well John, unfortunately, outside of FCS circles, any team in FBS is a better game to schedule than an FCS team....no matter how good each team is. In FBS circles there is a stigma attached to scheduling an FCS team. It will take years of ASU's beating Michigan's before fans of an FBS team will get excited about/or want to play an FCS. Any of the upper tier FBS teams that schedule any FCS team are looking for a cheap home win. (Not to say that the FCS teams aren't capable of winning, just saying that is the thought process.)

McNeese_beat
February 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
There's a certain team in Southern California that is pretty damn good themselves, some might argue better. It would be a hell of a game to see, either way.

As for the ASU vs LSU matchup, I would absolutely love to see it, and I think ABC/CBS/ESPN/Whoever would be retarded not to pick it up and bill it as the battle of D-I champs (even though we know who the REAL champ is). I doubted ASU last year, and I would definitely doubt them again, but I would not be disappointed to be wrong again. I would much rather see a different school win a big-time game to give FCS more respect as a whole, but if App is able to fight the whole battle themselves, then more power to them! xthumbsupx

Isn't it nice to be in a division where it's settled on the field?

LSU and USC are fairly unique in the country right now in that they are both in the middle of recruiting hotbeds where one can build a top 10 team without ever wandering outside of the base recruiting area, yet both have had success recruiting as national programs.

That separates them from the Notre Dames, who rely completely on national recruiting because the home area doesn't produce much talent, or the Big 10, where they are able to dominate their home area, but their home area does not produce quite the athletes as southern Cali. or the deep south.

spoogemcgee18
February 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
It's nice to see some excitement swirling around this game. When I went to Baton Rouge during our '05 season, I got a front row seat from App's allotment, exactly one week before the game. Times have definitely changed.

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
hate

Touchdown Yosef
February 4th, 2008, 08:08 AM
which is pretty much ESPN

Except that its not. ESPN is in the ABC family of networks but a game on ESPN, ESPN 2, or ESPN U is very simply not the same as a saturday game on a primary network station, not cable. So no, not the same thing an ABC game is a bigger deal than an ESPN game even though they are under the same corporate umbrella.

thmst30
February 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM
As expected it seems like all this was just VERY wishful thinking. It doesn't appear that LSU EVER had intentions of playing us next year, it was probably just a rumor that went wild. They have moved North Texas from their opener to the Sept. 13th date, and have freed up the opening game for a TV game against a BCS opponent. Meaning NOT US.

Link: http://startelegram.typepad.com/college_football_confiden/2008/02/unt-2008-schedu.html

Mountaineer2825
February 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM
According to a very important person that associates with the ASU football team haha, we ARE in fact playing LSU THIS season. Not saying when though. xthumbsupx

bench
February 5th, 2008, 09:57 PM
According to a very important person that associates with the ASU football team haha, we ARE in fact playing LSU THIS season. Not saying when though. xthumbsupx

Come on, man. You can't play with our emotions like that. Do it through PMs if you have to, but don't leave us hanging.

Mountaineer2825
February 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Come on, man. You can't play with our emotions like that. Do it through PMs if you have to, but don't leave us hanging.

Sorry! I will as soon as I book my hotel.

KiddBrewer
February 5th, 2008, 10:17 PM
how confident are you in the source you got this little tid bit from?

GGASU
February 5th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Well the only date left now on the LSU schedule is Aug 30th.

I would be AMAZED but very happy if all the games that had to be moved happened for a game with the Mountaineers.

Rice at Vanderbilt moved from 11/1 to 9/13
North Texas at Rice moved from 9/13 to 9/27
North Texas at Kansas State moved from 9/27 to 08/30
Louisiana-Lafayette at Kansas State still has to be rescheduled from 08/30

Mountaineer2825
February 5th, 2008, 11:09 PM

I would be AMAZED but very happy if all the games that had to be moved happened for a game with the Mountaineers.

When there is a will, there is a way.

thmst30
February 6th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I just can't believe that man, there have been many reports about LSU's remaining spot, and ALL of them say they are looking for a big time TV game against a big time BCS opponent. I hope hope hope that my assumption is dead wrong, but I just don't see them juggling their schedule around to play us. We may have gained some respect, but to them we are still a small FCS school.

mlbowl
February 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Herbstreit needs to get his own show on Bravo and leave the sports business to the rest of us.

Yeah...I know what you mean...It's not like he was Ohio player of the year as a High School athlete and a QB for Ohio Statexrolleyesx

McNeese72
February 6th, 2008, 08:01 AM

If it happened on Aug. 30th, then McNeese would be heading to North Carolina to play UNC and ASU would be heading to Louisiana to play LSU on the same day. Makes you wonder sometimes.

Doc

The Moody1
February 6th, 2008, 08:16 AM
When there is a will, there is a way.

I think that is the way LSU feels about having a BCS game on 8/30. If they have no luck finding any FBS opponents then maybe we will slide into the 8/30 game. To suggest that this deal is already done is misleading at the least.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/15348376.html

I added the link for the info posted below.

GGASU
February 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Looks like LSU has offered Texas Tech the game. The talk on the TT boards is that the coaches haven't approved it yet.

Ausberry said he hopes to come to an agreement today or Thursday and has two candidates, including one from a BCS conference. He said he will work the phones today hoping to put a deal in place.

Appinator
February 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah...I know what you mean...It's not like he was Ohio player of the year as a High School athlete and a QB for Ohio Statexrolleyesx

Glad you support any person who continually mocks any chance that an FCS school has against the mighty FBS. I'm sure you are familiar with the frustrations of being looked over in these games. Whoops, I forgot the Griz concedes to Herby's train of thought and never likes to schedule schools which they are overmatched with. xrulesx

mlbowl
February 6th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Glad you support any person who continually mocks any chance that an FCS school has against the mighty FBS. I'm sure you are familiar with the frustrations of being looked over in these games. Whoops, I forgot the Griz concedes to Herby's train of thought and never likes to schedule schools which they are overmatched with. xrulesx

Yup...you're right again. We only scheduled FBS teams in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006.xrolleyesx I don't agree with everything the guy says but is he a little more qaulified to host a College Gameday Show than let's say.......ummmmm........me.......I'd have to say YES.

Appinator
February 6th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Yup...you're right again. We only scheduled FBS teams in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006.xrolleyesx I don't agree with everything the guy says but is he a little more qaulified to host a College Gameday Show than let's say.......ummmmm........me.......I'd have to say YES.

We're losing focus here. My main point here is best stated by bench:

Kirk Herbstreit can eat a bag of dicks.

Points made/conceded by the Appinator:
-Griz schedule not that bad
-Herb sucks
-I wouldn't put yourself down, as I am most assuredly confident that I could do a better job, and so could you.

mlbowl
February 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM
We're losing focus here. The my main point here is best stated by bench:

Points made/conceded by the Appinator:
-Griz schedule not that bad
-Herb sucks
-I wouldn't put yourself down, as I am most assuredly confident that I could do a better job, and so could you.

Ok...Ok...I give.xnodx

BTW...I love your signature line.xnodx

Mountaineer2825
February 6th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Ok, August 30 is what head coach Jerry Moore told me earlier this week when I spoke with him. If that date stands, who knows. Just relaying information here.

elcid96
February 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM
There have been reports from the North Texas players that LSU has moved the 2008 game to 2009.

The LSU advocate now shows North Texas on the 2009 schedule, in the spot where ASU was. The talk on the LSU message board is that ASU and NT swapped years on the schedule.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/8413772.html

I just saw another article on the same site which shows LSU playing North Texas later in the year and them trying to schedule a BCS game on Aug 30. That is too bad, because the ASU LSU game would have been great.

LSU and North Texas agreed to reschedule their football matchup for Sept. 13 in Tiger Stadium, creating an Aug. 30 opening on the Tigers’ schedule.

LSU senior associate athletic director Verge Ausberry said late Tuesday he will fill that vacancy with another home game — preferably with a school from a BCS conference.

Ausberry said he hopes to come to an agreement today or Thursday and has two candidates, including one from a BCS conference. He said he will work the phones today hoping to put a deal in place.

“Once we get off the phone, we should have a clear, clear picture of where we’re going to go with that Aug. 30 game,” Ausberry said.

Negotiations continue with the help of ESPN, which is trying to arrange a game for national television.

“Even North Texas had to be involved with ESPN,” Ausberry said. “It took a lot of shifting things and moving everyone around.”

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported on its college football blog Tuesday that North Texas traded an Aug. 30 game at LSU for a trip to Kansas State on the same day. After playing at home Sept. 6 against Tulsa, the Mean Green will play Sept. 13 in Tiger Stadium.

North Texas was originally scheduled to play LSU in 2009, but the game was moved last year. The Mean Green was also supposed to play Kansas State on Sept. 27, but switching the LSU game to Sept. 13 opened the door for North Texas to schedule K-State as its season opener.

Ausberry said he hopes the athletic department administrator at the unnamed school from a BCS conference will agree to play LSU.

“They’re talking with their coaches,” Ausberry said. “I’m hoping. We’ve got to make a decision here. I’m pressing them too.”

The Moody1
February 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Ok, August 30 is what head coach Jerry Moore told me earlier this week when I spoke with him. If that date stands, who knows. Just relaying information here.

I ran into coach Moore at a baseball game last year and asked him about our schedule. He told me we were about to sign a home game with N. Arizona. Needless to say, a few days later the game was announced. Hopefully, the same will happen here. I think LSU is making sure that everyone knows they are looking hard for a BCS game so that if they end up playing us their fans will know they tried as hard as they could to land a BCS opponent.

Mountaineer2825
February 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I ran into coach Moore at a baseball game last year and asked him about our schedule. He told me we were about to sign a home game with N. Arizona. Needless to say, a few days later the game was announced. Hopefully, the same will happen here. I think LSU is making sure that everyone knows they are looking hard for a BCS game so that if they end up playing us their fans will know they tried as hard as they could to land a BCS opponent.

Yeah, He sounded like he was sure of it.

thmst30
February 6th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Sounds like maybe its us IF that BCS school declines LSU. So we seem to be second in line here.

AppGrad06
February 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Looks like LSU has offered Texas Tech the game. The talk on the TT boards is that the coaches haven't approved it yet.

From what I've heard Les Miles just said in an interview on ESPNU that Texas Tech "is not a season opener for any future schedule". That being said that doesn't mean App will get the stop, but it does make the odds look better as TT was thought by many to be BCS school in consideration.

Appinator
February 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Any updates on this? The thread kind of got pushed way back because of signing day...

AppGrad06
February 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
well Texas Tech NOT being on the schedule is definitely true b/c they are opening against EWU.

GGASU
February 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
LSU message board claims Appalachian will be named TODAY as the opening opponent.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=7133239

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

DLS
February 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
there is a god.

AppGrad06
February 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I knew there was a reason I woke up in a good mood today

APPride
February 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
GEAUX APP!

:) :) :) :) :) xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupxhope this is confirmed today...:o

LehighFan11
February 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
crossing my fingers........

bench
February 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Hmm. It seems the LSU fans are pissed

tke504oa
February 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
it is a riot to look at the posts they are making... It looks just like the Michigan board... I hope we get them and I hope they keep thinking that wayxsmiley_wix

neersnbeers
February 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
xnodx xnodx I'm soo excited I just pooped myself a lil. Please make this happen!!:D

813Jag
February 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM
it is a riot to look at the posts they are making... It looks just like the Michigan board... I hope we get them and I hope they keep thinking that wayxsmiley_wix
The way the LSU fans are talking is the same way they look at every team on their schedule. Those are some of the most arrogant fans. xnonono2x

JohnStOnge
February 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm listening to WSKR Baton Rouge right now. If you want to listen to the show they're talking about you can listen on line at http://www.thescore1210.com/cc-common/streaming_new/index.html . Right now they just finished covering the head basketball coach's farewell speech after being let go.

APPride
February 8th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hmm. It seems the LSU fans are pissed

no other game they scheduled for that weekend would get as much national, CASUAL FAN hype as ASU would, (except for Michigan or USC ?) deep down, this is the game everybody really wants to see, like a train wreck - you can't help but watch...BTW, it's a frickin pre-season warmup game :D sheeezzz, they're supposed to play games like this!

GGASU
February 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Link to ASU schedule!!!
http://www.goasu.com/football/schedule/2008/

AppGirl82
February 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BATON ROUGE BOUND!!!!

JohnStOnge
February 8th, 2008, 01:32 PM
And you guys were complaining about not being able to schedule a BCS league opponent.

neersnbeers
February 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM
BUSTING OUT THE AMERICAN EXPRESS BABY! BATON ROUGE HERE I COME!!

AppGrad06
February 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
hell yes! now when can I buy tickets?

AppGrad06
February 8th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Guys on that LSU board were whinning about ticket prices. Anyone know how much their tickets are?

813Jag
February 8th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Guys on that LSU board were whinning about ticket prices. Anyone know how much their tickets are?
With the increase I think single game tickets are $45. Most of those guys are pissing and moaning because there's about a 50 to 100 dollar raise for season tickets.

JohnStOnge
February 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I think it's probably not just that it's App. They hiked the season ticket prices and the non conference schedule is going to be App State, Troy, North Texas, and Tulane. I think they were hoping for at least one BCS league opponent in the non conference games.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
That point makes much more sense than being pissed about App in and of itself. If I were LSU coming off of a national championship year, I'd be pissed too. Ironically, it appears they are struggling from the same success as App St. in terms of making a good schedule. I remember all you Mountaineers fans whining about nobody willing to play you. Looks like nobody really wants to play LSU either.

JohnStOnge
February 8th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Hey fellas...App took down that schedule from that web site. Hope that doesn't mean something fell through.

KiddBrewer
February 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
armanti was washin his car and he said the coaches havent confirmed anything with them yet, but he said its about 98 percent

DLS
February 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
prolly just jumped the gun

LehighFan11
February 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Can someone get a countdown going? Ah I can't wait.

Appstate29
February 8th, 2008, 02:22 PM
this is 100% different from last year, we will get their best shot. I hope we still have them in '09, because thats the year I think we will have the best shot of beating them.

LehighFan11
February 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
omg guys lsu fans are dissing asu so bad on their board. talking bout 54-10....whinning the tickets are going to cost 50 bucks. Wow i really hope armanti can shut them up.

KiddBrewer
February 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
im pretty sure if weve got the 2008 game, the 2009 game would be out. right?

KiddBrewer
February 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/15447046.html

Appstate29
February 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
omg guys lsu fans are dissing asu so bad on their board. talking bout 54-10....whinning the tickets are going to cost 50 bucks. Wow i really hope armanti can shut them up.

you get used to it, to be honest, these are LSU fans. Most of them probably didn't go to college, they only follow LSU. They know we beat michigan, but other than that we are just D2 to them. We could be 10 time champs and it wouldn't matter. But I agree I hope A-man can too.

patssle
February 8th, 2008, 02:34 PM
If I was a LSU fan I would be pissed too. A win is to be expected, to lose would be disastrous for them.

For App...3 things can happen

1. Lose by a lot and prove to the college football world that the Michigan win was a fluke.
2. Keep it close and prove you guys can play with the big boys and that Michigan was not a fluke.
3. Win

This game will be hyped to oblivion.

Mountaineer2825
February 8th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I love how no one believed me earlier in the week. Thanks guys.

AppGrad06
February 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Wanted to believe, was praying it was true, but didn't want to get my hopes up and have them dashed against the rocks.

spoogemcgee18
February 8th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Anybody think this might get a national TV spot? You'd think it would garner the kind of attention to warrant a College Game Day appearance.

McNeese75
February 8th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I guess we will be passing in the skies as you head to BR and we head to NC xnodx Good luck with this one. xthumbsupx AE and Company will not be sneaking up on the Tigers.

AppGrad06
February 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Anybody think this might get a national TV spot? You'd think it would garner the kind of attention to warrant a College Game Day appearance.

It should considering the game was supposedly being brokered by ESPN.

LehighFan11
February 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
lsu fans have no class...im so ready for this game

patssle
February 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
lsu fans have no class...im so ready for this game

Welcome to Louisiana. You'll see what we have to deal with several times a year...cept multiplied by 10x more fans.

McNeese_beat
February 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Ha! You guys are funny. Everytime it's time for a game, you get nothing but stories of how Ohio State fans can't buy their own drink on Bourbon, Montana fans get treated great at tailgating on Common St. and how nothing beats game day at the Bluff at Southern.

Yet, a couple of weeks later, those same people start complaining that Louisiana fans are classless...

It's funny how the actual experience falls by the wayside, replaced with old wives tales...

jonmac
February 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I've got a feeling that Gameday will be in Baton Rouge for this one. What is the overall schedule like for that day. I know there are a lot of FCS/FBS matchups so I imagine that will be the theme for the day with the biggest being ASU/LSU.

LehighFan11
February 8th, 2008, 06:48 PM
so how do i get tickets?

patssle
February 8th, 2008, 06:58 PM
It's funny how the actual experience falls by the wayside

I've been to Louisiana a couple times...I've experienced it for myself.

Plus I know some of the folks who have covered Bearkat athletics a lot longer than me, they have some REALLY interesting stories about their experiences in LA.

McNeese_beat
February 8th, 2008, 07:30 PM
That's very strange because all the complaints I hear are about student sections at Texas State. Nowhere else has enough atmosphere...

As far as Baton Rouge goes, every time I go, which is fairly rare and mostly for very big games, I LOOK for the ugliness, and simply do not find it. I hear the fans chant "Tiger bait" at people in the opponents' t-shirts, but mostly I see the home team treating the visitors to a good time.

I do think what happens is fans from places that have NO atmosphere confuse actual game day atmosphere with rudeness. That is a common response. I've heard the Cameron Crazies called obnoxious and rude. Hell, I think that's the best place to see a college basketball game in America.

patssle
February 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
That's very strange because all the complaints I hear are about student sections at Texas State.

I went to Texas State for our game last year. I didn't see anything bad...but then again there were only about 5k-6k fans in the stands.

Cuss words are pretty easy to hear to seperate a game day atmosphere from rudeness.

McNeese_beat
February 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Generally, the places that are considered the best places to watch a game are also considered the worst. The 90k at LSU is the loudest crowd in football. That's exciting for visitors when it's 0-0. But when you're getting beat 45-0, which often happens in Baton Rouge, your bitter mind tends to focus on the obnoxious ones who exist everywhere.

I was laughing earlier because I googled "best crowd in college football" and I found Ohio State and Florida high on the lists. I googled "wost crowd in college football" and I found Ohio State and Florida high on the lists. Of course, Notre Dame will be on both lists too.

The year where Texas State's students (who are, conveniently, placed right next to the visiting fans and in front of the visiting team's cheerleaders and band) earned their obnoxious reputation, I believe, was the year they made the semifinals.

patssle
February 8th, 2008, 08:44 PM
The year where Texas State's students (who are, conveniently, placed right next to the visiting fans and in front of the visiting team's cheerleaders and band) earned their obnoxious reputation, I believe, was the year they made the semifinals.

Well that year there were actually a lot of fans in the stands...not just inflated attendance numbers ;)

They were obnoxious for us...but I wouldn't call them classless from what I saw. They were obnoxious enough to have our players harassing them after we came back to beat them.

Generally, the places that are considered the best places to watch a game are also considered the worst.

There are exceptions though. NDSU is the best atmosphere I've ever been to, and it was clean fun...no class-less fans there (except for one dick at the end of the game). I could live in Fargo just for football!

spoogemcgee18
February 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
"lsu fans have no class...im so ready for this game"

Have you ever been to a game at LSU? When we played LSU in 05 the Tiger fans were some of the most cordial I've ever experienced. Most expressed their amazement that we had travelled so far and sincerely thanked us for our donation to their hurricaine relief fund. My buddy and I even got invited to a frat party and drank for free that night. One gentelman went so far as to say, "Richie Williams was the best quarterback we've faced all season."

thmst30
February 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
That's very strange because all the complaints I hear are about student sections at Texas State. Nowhere else has enough atmosphere...

As far as Baton Rouge goes, every time I go, which is fairly rare and mostly for very big games, I LOOK for the ugliness, and simply do not find it. I hear the fans chant "Tiger bait" at people in the opponents' t-shirts, but mostly I see the home team treating the visitors to a good time.

I do think what happens is fans from places that have NO atmosphere confuse actual game day atmosphere with rudeness. That is a common response. I've heard the Cameron Crazies called obnoxious and rude. Hell, I think that's the best place to see a college basketball game in America.
WHAT? That place is a run down hell hole, most obnoxious fans in all of college sports too.

813Jag
February 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Ha! You guys are funny. Everytime it's time for a game, you get nothing but stories of how Ohio State fans can't buy their own drink on Bourbon, Montana fans get treated great at tailgating on Common St. and how nothing beats game day at the Bluff at Southern.

Yet, a couple of weeks later, those same people start complaining that Louisiana fans are classless...

It's funny how the actual experience falls by the wayside, replaced with old wives tales...
I totally agree. It's always complaints after the game, some of it is rudeness. But most of it is people just having a good game.

Yeah wives tales like people throwing batteries and things like that. xlolx
Those same complaints are heard across town as well.

so how do i get tickets?
If you're going to Baton Rouge, tickets can usually be had on the street before a game. Cheaper than $45-50.

813Jag
February 9th, 2008, 07:20 AM
"lsu fans have no class...im so ready for this game"

Have you ever been to a game at LSU? When we played LSU in 05 the Tiger fans were some of the most cordial I've ever experienced. Most expressed their amazement that we had travelled so far and sincerely thanked us for our donation to their hurricaine relief fund. My buddy and I even got invited to a frat party and drank for free that night. One gentelman went so far as to say, "Richie Williams was the best quarterback we've faced all season."
You get the good treatment because you're not Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida, etc. When ever we (Southern) play LSU in baseball or basketball, we're treated well. Except it has that little brother vibe to it.

GeauxColonels
February 9th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Well, the New Orleans radio station WWL is now reporting that LSU has finalized its schedule and LSU will in fact host Appalachian St. on August 30. A friend of mine is in Disney World right now and he actually asked me yesterday morning if I heard anything about them finalizing a schedule. Then, yesterday afternoon, I heard the report so I sent him a text message to let him know. He's not to happy about it. But I argued that it's a MUCH better match-up than Middle Tennessee St. or North Texas.

I call it the "Clash of the Champions".

GeauxColonels
February 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I think it's probably not just that it's App. They hiked the season ticket prices and the non conference schedule is going to be App State, Troy, North Texas, and Tulane. I think they were hoping for at least one BCS league opponent in the non conference games.
All of the interviews that I read leading up to now said that they were pushing hard to establish a home-and-home with another BCS-league opponent. But that's EXTREMELY hard to do with under a year's notice.

HERE'S A LINK (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1385619&DB_OEM_ID=5200) to the story on LSUSports.net, LSU's official athletics website.

I'm really hoping I can score tickets to this game either through my buddy if his wife doesn't want to go. Or I could probably buy a single-game ticket for the game.

APPride
February 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
All of the interviews that I read leading up to now said that they were pushing hard to establish a home-and-home with another BCS-league opponent. But that's EXTREMELY hard to do with under a year's notice.

HERE'S A LINK (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=1385619&DB_OEM_ID=5200) to the story on LSUSports.net, LSU's official athletics website.

I'm really hoping I can score tickets to this game either through my buddy if his wife doesn't want to go. Or I could probably buy a single-game ticket for the game.

Even though it seems like all of the LSU season ticket holders think this game is kah-kah for them, there are plenty of others that will want to see it (I mean national TV also) since it seems to be a step out of the predictable boring routine. I commend the football leaders at LSU for realizing this was a better game this year than next for all the obvious reasons... xthumbsupx

neersnbeers
February 9th, 2008, 09:10 AM
It is absolutely the best move for both teams. TV (whoever it may be) is going to cover this BIG! If nothing else, the moola and exposure will really help our school and athletic dept. If we win, feckin awesome! If we lose, who care. ITS FOOTBALL! It's why we get up at the crackass of dawn and take a pot of coffee to the dome while raising the game day flag. It's why we're on this board talking it up 6 months prior to the competition. I think it's great and looking forward to the experience. GO APPS!

(sorry just really excited)

McNeese_beat
February 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I totally agree. It's always complaints after the game, some of it is rudeness. But most of it is people just having a good game.

Yeah wives tales like people throwing batteries and things like that. xlolx
Those same complaints are heard across town as well.

If you're going to Baton Rouge, tickets can usually be had on the street before a game. Cheaper than $45-50.

I remember hearing that kind of stuff in high school about a local inner-city rival (Washington-Marion). I heard their players carried switchblades on the field, the gangs would be waiting for us at the bus when we got back, etc, etc., etc. I was scared to death.

We get over there and play the most clean football game we played all year. Hard-fought, but clean. There was a lot more dirty play from the, ahem, "good" kids from the suburban schools.

That was an early lesson for me in "don't believe the hype."

The Moody1
February 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I've got a feeling that Gameday will be in Baton Rouge for this one. What is the overall schedule like for that day. I know there are a lot of FCS/FBS matchups so I imagine that will be the theme for the day with the biggest being ASU/LSU.

I think ESPN also put together the Alabama vs Clemson game in the Ga. Dome on the same day. I would think they would be at that game. Maybe Al vs CU will be on ESPN and we will be on ESPN2.

jonmac
February 9th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I think ESPN also put together the Alabama vs Clemson game in the Ga. Dome on the same day. I would think they would be at that game. Maybe Al vs CU will be on ESPN and we will be on ESPN2.

Yeah, that's why I asked what else was scheduled for that day. I haven't done the research on that. I still think Gameday would be received well in Baton Rouge. We can only hope.

JohnStOnge
February 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
App State is getting $750,000 from LSU to go there in 2008. That included $200,000 in compensation for two scheduling changes.

appfan2008
February 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
i hope it gets on national tv on a channel everyone gets

JohnStOnge
February 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM
i hope it gets on national tv on a channel everyone gets

"Ausberry said the Aug. 30 game against Appalachian State, currently on the schedule for 7 p.m., could be a possible ESPN game earlier or later that night."

Keeper
February 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Well, at least LSU will have the opportunity to rebound vs Troy & UNT

:D

JohnStOnge
February 9th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I hope it's on ESPN at night and I also hope LSU wears its white jersies as it typically does at home so that App can wear their black. I think that would make for a good visual impression.

Appinator
February 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Let the hype begin, here is a link to an article on the CFB page on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3237993

"Better watch out LSU, Appalachian State is coming to town"

Bulletin board material almost 6 months in advance, I don't think there will be anyone in BR who will overlooks us.

JohnStOnge
February 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Let the hype begin, here is a link to an article on the CFB page on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3237993

"Better watch out LSU, Appalachian State is coming to town"

Bulletin board material almost 6 months in advance, I don't think there will be anyone in BR who overlooks us.

Yeah, that's going to make it a lot tougher. LSU's players are going to hear a whole lot about Appalachian State. It won't be the typical FCS vs. BCS situation.

How many starters did ASU lose at the end of 2007? How many #2s on the two-deep?

Zoo
February 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Do you guys think that Appalachian State can pull it off again?

proasu89
February 9th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that's going to make it a lot tougher. LSU's players are going to hear a whole lot about Appalachian State. It won't be the typical FCS vs. BCS situation.

How many starters did ASU lose at the end of 2007? How many #2s on the two-deep?

Bulletin board material is about as relevant as what we say on a message board. It don't mean s#!t. Once the first hit get's laid all that goes out the window and you just play the game.

McNeese75
February 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Do you guys think that Appalachian State can pull it off again?

xsmhx

SoCon48
February 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM
xsmhx

You missed the Michigan prediction last year, too. Didn't you?xnodx