PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Richardson's Jersey to be retired

CSN Log
February 1st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Kevin Richardson's Jersey to be retired

http://images.townnews.com/bladenjournal.com/content/articles/2008/01/31/sports/doc47a2308fb3389262491486.jpgKevin Richardson will have his jersey retired tonight between the girls’ and boys’ basketball games between East Bladen and South Robeson.
Richardson, who graduated from East Bladen High is 2004, was a standout football player for the Eagles and went on to help lead Appalachian State University to three National champions.
The 5-foot-9 190-pound runningback led East Bladen to and undefeated regular season and to the Eastern finals his senior year when he was named the team’s MVP. The team finished the season with a 13-1 record.
Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=kevin-richardson-s-jersey-to-be-retired&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more420)

neersnbeers
February 1st, 2008, 01:55 PM
Congrats KR!

Touchdown Yosef
February 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Congrats to Kevin, it is well deserved. When is the last time we retired a jersey?

uofmman1122
February 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I see. So his High School is retiring his High School jersey, right?

His App State jersey isn't going to be retired, yes?

Just checking.

lizrdgizrd
February 1st, 2008, 02:04 PM

Just checking.
Well, there is no word one way or the other about his App jersey.

uofmman1122
February 1st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Well, there is no word one way or the other about his App jersey.That's what I thought.

KiddBrewer
February 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
i think the last App jersey/number to be retired would probably been john settle. KRich is a possibility, as was Richie Williams, although I doubt they retire either one. If I had to bet though, id say they would retire KR's before Richie's.

However, we may have a number 14 retired someday.....xcoffeex

DLS
February 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
KR before richie?

williams broke pretty much every offensive record app had. Both were ridiculous but i think richie was played a bigger role in bringing about the change of app's program.

not to mention, i think devon moore could possibly turn into a better RB than kevin

APPdopted
February 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
Don't discount KRich's role in the national championship games that were a little closer...

Touchdown Yosef
February 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I cannot see in any way how both 7 and 28 were not retired, if you can please explain. Unless they are waiting to do it when the stadium is finished. I could see that, but I already would have retired 7. I think Murrell and Hunter could also be mentioned in this conversation.

Appaholic
February 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM
I could see 7 and 28 (and eventually 14) as well as 47 (3-time AA).....all are worthy of the honor, but hope App doesn't go crazy....would rather see their jersey's "Honored" or in a "Ring of Honor" or something....do they have set criteria for retiring jerseys at App?......I know Carolina BB will hang your jersey as an honor for AA, but only retire numbers for like "consensus Player of the Year" (Jordan, Worthy, Rosenbluth, etc). The honored jerseys are displayed, but the numbers are not retired out of circulation....

Touchdown Yosef
February 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
I would like to know the criteria as well. Whatever it is it I would think that 7 28 and 47 would all fit inside it without any problem.

Kill'em
February 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
Good for him! Great runner!

hapapp
February 1st, 2008, 05:41 PM
I cannot see in any way how both 7 and 28 were not retired, if you can please explain. Unless they are waiting to do it when the stadium is finished. I could see that, but I already would have retired 7. I think Murrell and Hunter could also be mentioned in this conversation.

I doubt anyone gets their jersey retired before they even graduate. I suspect that both KR and RW will have their jerseys, not numbers, retired at some point. Generally, you allow a little time to pass before you honor someone with such a ceremony.

proasu89
February 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM

We can't retire them all or we'll run out of numbers.xsmiley_wix

PA announcer, "Starting at Tight End #101 Billy Bob Smith"

BeauFoster
February 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
ASU has a long "tradition" of not retiring numbers. Heck, there are only a few in a long line of exceptional players who have their number retired. I could see Williams having his retired, since he was the first ASU QB to win a National Championship. Richardson deserves it, but it will be years before we get to the point of talking about it. Edwards will, in all likelyhood, break all ASU QB (and some RB) records and could hold a number of national records before he is finished. His accomplishments will make it harder to remember those of Williams, which could delay his recognition.

james_lawfirm
February 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
That's what I thought.

Now, hold yer taters, uofmman varmint! KR played his last ASU game about a month and a half ago, and you're trying to make a point that his ASU jersey has yet to be retired? Puh-leeeezzzz.

All in due time.

uofmman1122
February 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Now, hold yer taters, uofmman varmint! KR played his last ASU game about a month and a half ago, and you're trying to make a point that his ASU jersey has yet to be retired? Puh-leeeezzzz.

All in due time.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I honestly have no witty follow-up.

It just seemed odd to me that a school would retire someone's number before he even graduated.

james_lawfirm
February 1st, 2008, 08:39 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I honestly have no witty follow-up.

It just seemed odd to me that a school would retire someone's number before he even graduated.

I think I am confused. I thought you were critical that ASU had taken so long to retire his number. Apparently, I must have had my head in too many law books this week. Although I thought I read the article to say that KR's high school had JUST RECENTLY retired his number. So, now I really don't understand your point in the above post either.

Many apologies. Perhaps I'll grasp more after a few beers.

MR. CHICKEN
February 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
IN NEWARK......# 28.........JES' GOES BACK INTA DUH RAG BIN.....AN' TA THINK.......IT WAS OMAR'S.....NUMBER...TSK...TSK....APPY......BRAWK!

MOUSEKETEERS.......KEEP ON RETIRIN'......SOME DAY.....YER QB.......WILL WEAR...# 91...xnodx.....BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
February 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
WE DON'T NEED NO FREAKIN'.........NUMBER RETIRIN'.........JES' DO LIKE DUH GRIZZWOLDS..(#37).....PASS...DEM DIGITS...TA DUH NEXT STALLION!

ERASU2113
February 2nd, 2008, 12:52 AM

Just checking.

Most likely will one day, just when it will is the question.

I assume they'll retire Richie's #7, KRich's #28, and barring anything drastic Armanti's 14. When that happens? Only time will tell.

uofmman1122
February 2nd, 2008, 02:23 AM
I think I am confused. I thought you were critical that ASU had taken so long to retire his number. Apparently, I must have had my head in too many law books this week. Although I thought I read the article to say that KR's high school had JUST RECENTLY retired his number. So, now I really don't understand your point in the above post either.

Many apologies. Perhaps I'll grasp more after a few beers.That's my point. It makes much more sense that his high school would retire his jersey. He's probably had one of the most illustrious careers of anyone from his high school, so it seems fitting they would. I originally thought App State had plans of retiring his jersey already, which didn't seem like much sense, since the 2007 season is only 2 months removed, and not to knock his career at App, which is awesome, but it would seem odd to see anyone's jersey at any school retired a month after his last season. xpeacex

Tod
February 2nd, 2008, 03:38 AM
WE DON'T NEED NO FREAKIN'.........NUMBER RETIRIN'.........JES' DO LIKE DUH GRIZZWOLDS..(#37).....PASS...DEM DIGITS...TA DUH NEXT STALLION!

:)

Cool mention. Thanks!

Good example, too. ASU is obviously bulging with players who may warrant the honor.

xbowx xbowx xbowx

appstate38
February 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
We have a couple of guys who could be in the conversation, as do your Griz I am sure.

appsfan
February 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I could see 7 and 28 (and eventually 14) as well as 47 (3-time AA).....all are worthy of the honor, but hope App doesn't go crazy....would rather see their jersey's "Honored" or in a "Ring of Honor" or something....do they have set criteria for retiring jerseys at App?......I know Carolina BB will hang your jersey as an honor for AA, but only retire numbers for like "consensus Player of the Year" (Jordan, Worthy, Rosenbluth, etc). The honored jerseys are displayed, but the numbers are not retired out of circulation....
I like the Ring of Honor idea which would allow us to recognize players who had outstanding careers. I think we should be highly selective in making decions to retire numbers and whether it is a RoH or number retirement, I think a waiting period (maybe 5 years or so) should be used to let emotions fade and to allow for some historical perspective before a selection.

grizband
February 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM
One App State player who should be eligible, if his jersey hasn't already been retired, is Dexter Coakley. He remains the only player to win back to back Buchanan awards, and looking at his stats, he had an impressive career (645 tackles xeekx).

Saint3333
February 2nd, 2008, 03:57 PM
ASU retired Jerseys:

Larry Hand, '63 - 70?
John Settle, '86 - 23
Dexter Coakley, '96 - 32
Dino Hackett, '85 - 38

All were all-americans and played multiple season in the NFL.

Future Jerseys:

Richie Williams
Kevin Richardson
Corey Lynch
Armanti Edwards (if he stay healthy & breaks the records he's projected to)

Also watch this kid DJ Smith (sophomore LB next year), he's the best LB at ASU since Mr. Coakley.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
That's my point. It makes much more sense that his high school would retire his jersey. He's probably had one of the most illustrious careers of anyone from his high school, so it seems fitting they would. I originally thought App State had plans of retiring his jersey already, which didn't seem like much sense, since the 2007 season is only 2 months removed, and not to knock his career at App, which is awesome, but it would seem odd to see anyone's jersey at any school retired a month after his last season. xpeacex

As odd as it may seem to you...Dave Dickenson's jersey was retired immediately at a ceremony in the field house the day after the 1995 championship. I think UM only has two jersey's retired (DD, and Terry Dillon's) as that is something that only a select few can achieve over the history of a program. It cheapens it if you retire a bunch of jerseys.

uofmman1122
February 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM
As odd as it may seem to you...Dave Dickenson's jersey was retired immediately at a ceremony in the field house the day after the 1995 championship. I think UM only has two jersey's retired (DD, and Terry Dillon's) as that is something that only a select few can achieve over the history of a program. It cheapens it if you retire a bunch of jerseys.Doesn't seem odd to me.....It's f***ing Dave Dickenson. 'nuff said. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
February 2nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
Doesn't seem odd to me.....It's f***ing Dave Dickenson. 'nuff said. xlolx

Couldn't agree with you more my friend. There is always that ONE exception.

Appaholic
February 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
something that only a select few can achieve over the history of a program. It cheapens it if you retire a bunch of jerseys.

I agree.......honor the players with hanging their jerseys, but don't retire numbers except in the rare instances.....

KiddBrewer
February 2nd, 2008, 09:34 PM
i screwed up before, but was kindly corrected by mister c. i said that settle was the last to have his retired, and thats far from true, and i was even at the games the other three were retired at. shame on me. I do think KR and RW deserve to have theirs retired, personally. but.....i dont know the criteria, surely have accomplished enough. you can't retire numbers all the time, it becomes a little crazy.....but, you can surely retire their jerseys without the numbers.

Jerbearasu
February 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
I agree.......honor the players with hanging their jerseys, but don't retire numbers except in the rare instances.....
I completely agree with this. I think Kevin should be honored but not retired. He was a great back and a great leader but I'm looking for something a little more in retiring jerseys... I look at Richie as a guy that NEEDS to be retired. The guy was a 3 time captain. As a sophomore, the team looked to him as a leader and he unquestionably led App to the first NC... Richie was the face of the program when we were in despair after the 04 season and was the one that sent us to the top in 05. He gave guys the inspiration to work harder to achieve the team goals. I am not saying that Kevin didn't I just think Richie's role in the whole scheme of things was much more significant.

Corey may also fit into the role of retired players. Started as a Freshman, IR as a sophomore, came back and led the team to 3 NC's and was named AA 3 times. His character was also impecable and I think that counts for something when you are being mentioned of having a # retired. I always loved the fact that before every interview (no matter what had just happened or who was interviewing him) he would always thank God for the opportunity to just be playing. That always stuck with me especially watching ESPN after the Michigan game and he still stuck with his convictions.

I do have a policy to wait at least 5 years before a player's # is retired. You need to let the emotions die down from everything that has happened otherwise you would get instances like this where you want everyone retired (ie: Jason Hunter, Marcus Murrell). Both great players but Jason was really only a huge factor in 05 and Murrell, IMO, was no match to Josh Jeffries as far as talent goes... If I were to retire guys it would only be Richie and Corey. If I were to honor guys it would be Murrell, Richardson, Kerry Brown (OG), and from the past I still think that Matt Stevens (DB from 92ish to 97ish) need to be honored...