PDA

View Full Version : Student Govt in San Marcos Passes "FBS Vote" to Students

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Mods, please note that this is not a news article, but an actual copy of the legislation presented, so not breaking the TOS

Apparently, the Associated Student Government has now passed the legislation which will allow a student-vote on an athletic fee increased geared towards moving the program at Texas State-San Marcos from FCS to FBS in the next five years.

AUTHORS: Senator Ugo Eziefule, Richard Lopez
SPONSORS: President Reagan Pugh, Vice-President Alexis Dabney
FIRST READING: January 28, 2008
“Today’s Vision Tomorrow’s Tradition”
S.R.S. 2007-2008/1

WHEREAS: We consider Texas State University to be the best University in the state of Texas; and

WHEREAS: Texas State University has established a tradition of scholastic excellence on a national level; and

WHEREAS: In order for Texas State to continue in the fine tradition we have established, a determined and ambitious athletics program is essential to the forward progress we as an institution strive for; and

WHEREAS: There has been overwhelming positive student, alumni and community support for the move to Division 1A (Now known as Football Bowl Subdivision) football since the turn of the century; and

WHEREAS: This excitement is reflected by the past 2007-2008 Associated Student Government election as a part of both candidates’ platforms; and

WHEREAS: The result of this excitement was a re-initiated conversation that took place in the Athletics Strategic Planning Committee composed of members of the community, large donors, ASG representatives, Alumni, Faculty and the Administration appointed by President Denise Trauth; and

WHEREAS: After five meetings, the committee came to the consensus that the University has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football; and

WHEREAS: There is currently a four year moratorium initiated by the NCAA on all universities desiring to either move up in classification; and

WHEREAS: The committee felt that this moratorium provides an ample opportunity for Texas State University to prepare itself for a move to FBS in five years; and

WHEREAS: The infrastructure that must be created and the improvements that must occur in our Athletics program for Texas State to be prepared to compete at an FBS level are highly extensive and time sensitive; and

WHEREAS: The steps that must be taken have been enumerated in a list of benchmarks and a committee recommendation that has been unanimously approved by the President’s Cabinet; and

WHEREAS: The committee’s recommendations will replace the current plan for the pillar of the Capital Campaign dedicated to athletics; and

WHEREAS: The first step in the direction of FBS is undying confidence and investment from the student body; and

WHEREAS: It is necessary to hold a spring referendum this spring 2008 semester to increase the Athletic Service Fee over the next five years by twelve (12) dollars per credit hour; and

WHEREAS: This fee would be implemented in the fall of 2009 with an increase of two (2) dollars per credit hour. The fee will continue to be raised two (2) dollars per credit hour each year for five years until the 2013-2014 academic year; and

WHEREAS: This increase will bring the students’ contribution to the Athletic Department from the current eight ( 8 ) dollars per credit hour to twenty (20) dollars per credit hour or roughly from a total of five (5) million dollars to roughly thirteen (13) million dollars; and

WHEREAS: If the students choose to take the first step in creating a vision for the Athletics Department, it is essential that we be matched by the community, Alumni, Athletics Department, Staff, Faculty and the Administration; therefore

BE IT RESOLVED: That the Associated Student Government of Texas State University lead the student body into the next era of excellence at our institution by marching once again into the direction of FBS with a concentrated effort to pass this spring referendum; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Associated Student Government of Texas State University call on President Denise Trauth and Athletic Director, Dr. Larry Teis to employ an unprecedented level of diligence, passion and fervor in the implementation of the FBS plan; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That once the incremental fee increase has ended and the NCAA moratorium has lifted if in the unlikely circumstance Texas State is not positioned to apply for a classification change to FBS status that the fee be reviewed by the Associated Student Government and be subject to reduction and/or revocation; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That upon the passage of the spring referendum on February 12 & 13 2008 that President Trauth make a public statement regarding the mobilizing movement and Dr. Larry Teis and the Athletic Department notify all large media sources for coverage; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That student support must be constant throughout this process. Winning or losing, forward motion is under way and the fire must remain lit, today’s vision is tomorrow’s tradition; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED: That a copy of this legislation be forwarded to the Athletics Strategic Planning Committee, Dr. John Garrison, Dean of Students, Dr. JoAnn Smith, Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Larry Teis, Athletics Director and President Denise Trauth upon its passage.

-----------------
According to one poster, how much it will cost the students...

Athletic Fee current- $8 (x 15hrs = $120)
Athletic Fee Fall 2009- $10 ($150)
Athletic Fee Fall 2010- 12 ($180)
Athletic Fee Fall 2011- 14 ($210)
Athletic Fee Fall 2012- 16 ($240)
Athletic Fee Fall 2013- 18 ($270)
Final Athletic Cost purposed- $20-SCH ($300)

$600 (per year) x 5 years (amt of time people stay in college) = $3000 of your student loans are going to fund Bobcat athletics.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Should be noted that the folks in the student government in San Marcos think..."the University has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football"...

Can someone explain to me how your institution has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football...?

What exactly defines how the school has outgrown the SLC and FCS?

Size? There's FBS institutions that are at about 4,000 (see Rice). If you go by that standards, we all should be FBS. There's even a few Div II schools that are the size or just abouts of your institution (see Wayne State with over 30,000 students). Well, maybe we should all be in Div II.

Or do you measure by athletic success? One playoff appearance. One Southland title.

I'm not quite sure how you've outgrown the conference or the subdivision. Until proven otherwise, I do not think that statement does anything for your case. If anything, this WHEREAS must have come out of the Dr Seuss classic, "Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!"

patssle
January 29th, 2008, 10:25 AM
They have had 2 winning seasons since 1994.

JDC325
January 29th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Nothing that happened in the FCS years ago will matter in the FBS. The most important thing will be the how well the transition is made and how much support the TXST folk will give.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2008, 10:58 AM
A reminder of the last attempt...

n a seemingly ongoing effort to elevate its football program from I-AA to I-A AND create a public relations nightmare, officials from Southwest Texas State had plenty to say last week, with typically little of it making sense. A series of articles in the Daily University Star, SWT's student paper, printed negative comments about the Southland Football League attributed to school administrators, and later detailed severe contradictions in plans for stadium expansion.

Athletic Director Greg LaFleur, who was hired in July and is a veteran of exactly one Southland Football League contest, was quoted as saying, "This school deserves to be known for its athletic program because the school is better than people perceive it to be. This [misconception] is because of our conference." Ah, yes, the league brings down SWT down. That would be SWT, which has a league record of 32-58-1 (.357), no conference titles, and no playoff appearances since joining the conference in 1987.

Not content to bust only on Southland athletics, SWT Vice President for Student Affairs James Studer offered the following, "[Those schools] are smaller and generally the academics are not the same as SWT's. We're not the institution we were 10, 15, or 20 years ago. We're a much better school. The kind of academic program we have is much more broad based. Generally, you're known by the company you keep." I see, so what you're saying is that schools like McNeese State and Northwestern State don't scream out "Ivy League," but teams from the Sun Belt (which is the only I-A league with football standards low enough to want the Bobcats) like Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee State, and North Texas have long been heralded as bastions of quality academics. Please.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/moss_archive/3rdandlong_101701.htm

Freightliner
January 29th, 2008, 11:49 AM
TT,

As i posted on BF.com, I gotta agree with you on this...xoopsx

I also would like to see the proof that we have "severely outgrown" the SLC.

Someone in the Associated Student Goverment must have taken a class with Dr. Jim Studer (ex VP of Student Affairs at TXST) on "saying the wrong things" xnonono2x

Dont get me wrong though....I'd like to see Tx State go FBS....just not for THAT reason.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM
If the vote passes (which I am sure it will) and the admin announces to move to FBS -- I think there's bound to be some problems that lie ahead for the San Marcos based institution...

I'm sure there's some rules in the conference that would negatively impact the school...the conference might even consider the announcement of a move to FBS as an announcement that they are leaving the conference (as in, immediately). The words out of San Marcos in the past have not done anything to help the school's relationship with the other schools in the SLC and the conference at large.

Freightliner
January 29th, 2008, 02:41 PM
If the vote passes (which I am sure it will) and the admin announces to move to FBS -- I think there's bound to be some problems that lie ahead for the San Marcos based institution...

Oh I know it will (only about 6,000 students will vote..) and they will call it a majority victory....blah blah blah

I'm sure there's some rules in the conference that would negatively impact the school...the conference might even consider the announcement of a move to FBS as an announcement that they are leaving the conference (as in, immediately). The words out of San Marcos in the past have not done anything to help the school's relationship with the other schools in the SLC and the conference at large.

Tell me something I dont know....i still remember all the shellacking we took on roadtrips about that....even from the officials!!!

UCABEARS75
January 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM
As we discuss the "prestige" of moving to the FBS, everyone should remember that the majority of the highest rated academic institutions in this country play in D-Iaa (or lower).

SEE IVY LEAGUE AND MANY D-III SCHOOLS.

EKU05
January 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
As we discuss the "prestige" of moving to the FBS, everyone should remember that the majority of the highest rated academic institutions in this country play in D-Iaa (or lower).

SEE IVY LEAGUE AND MANY D-III SCHOOLS.

In fairness you're talking almost exclusively about private schools there. Though it is by no means 100%, more often than not the schools that are perceived to be the top state school are in fact FBS. You could certainly name exceptions, though.

PantherRob82
January 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
WHEREAS: We consider Texas State University to be the best University in the state of Texas;

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

centexguy
January 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I don't understand how Texas State can be so inept at both football and basketball yet they have the largest athletic budget in the SLC. If they can't win in the SLC with the largest budget, how will they can compete at the FBS level with an average budget?

GeauxLions94
January 29th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Should be noted that the folks in the student government in San Marcos think..."the University has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football"...

Can someone explain to me how your institution has severely outgrown the Southland Conference and Division 1AA (Now known as Football Championship Series) football...?

What exactly defines how the school has outgrown the SLC and FCS?

Size? There's FBS institutions that are at about 4,000 (see Rice). If you go by that standards, we all should be FBS. There's even a few Div II schools that are the size or just abouts of your institution (see Wayne State with over 30,000 students). Well, maybe we should all be in Div II.

Or do you measure by athletic success? One playoff appearance. One Southland title.

I'm not quite sure how you've outgrown the conference or the subdivision. Until proven otherwise, I do not think that statement does anything for your case. If anything, this WHEREAS must have come out of the Dr Seuss classic, "Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!"

Outgrown the Southland Conference??? Best University in Texas??? For crying out loud, Texas State doesn't rank in the top 10 in the state. Pure, utter arrogance coming from the folks out of ASG.

Serious question for the Bobcat AGS faithful .... What kind of Kool-Aid are these guys in ASG drinking? Apparently, it must be Bevo-flavored?

Texas State has made the announcement at least once in the past decade on moving up. Does anyone remember what happened then?

jmuroller
January 29th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Isn't this a moot point since you can't even move up for almost 4 years?

patssle
January 29th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I don't understand how Texas State can be so inept at both football and basketball yet they have the largest athletic budget in the SLC. If they can't win in the SLC with the largest budget, how will they can compete at the FBS level with an average budget?

They have DOUBLE the budget of SHSU...yet we beat them in baseball, basketball, and football in 2007. (several other sports too)

Money isn't everything.

Fresno St. Alum
January 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
So if Texas St. goes to the FBS and say after 4 years they don't have a conference, will they want back in the SLC and will they be allowed back in or will they stay FBS at all cost?

TT, would the SLC allow Tx St. to stay for all other sports until they find a conference like ULM did?

chrisattsu
January 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Isn't this a moot point since you can't even move up for almost 4 years?

It is not really a moot point. The point of this is to ramp up fees during the moratorium so students can gradually deal with the increase. In addition to this, the D1 by June 1 people claim that there are alumni and corporate sponsors looking to donate $$ and pay for naming rights PROVIDED we are committed to moving up. This is one way to call their bluff.

TexasTerror
January 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
So if Texas St. goes to the FBS and say after 4 years they don't have a conference, will they want back in the SLC and will they be allowed back in or will they stay FBS at all cost?

TT, would the SLC allow Tx St. to stay for all other sports until they find a conference like ULM did?

The conference will NEVER do another situation like ULM. It was bad for the conference and it handcuffed the conference to the ULM program when the conference needed to move forward...

Serious question for the Bobcat AGS faithful .... What kind of Kool-Aid are these guys in ASG drinking? Apparently, it must be Bevo-flavored?

I've learned from personal experience what kind of people you can expect to see out of that group of misfits. They are an exact meaning of fundamental misrepresentation of representative democracy just like their buddy Sen. Jeff Wentworth...xthumbsupx

Fresno St. Alum
January 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
TT ,what about them staying FBS at all cost no matter how bad or if they can't find a conf. Would they ever come back?

BearsCountry
January 30th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I bet Denver will end up in the WCC about the same time all of this goes down for good, WCC is waiting for Seattle to do their time before they expand IMO. Texas St and Jacksonville St would then move into the Sun Belt, 12 for fb and 14 for all-sports.

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2008, 09:25 AM
TT ,what about them staying FBS at all cost no matter how bad or if they can't find a conf. Would they ever come back?

I'm not going to comment much further...

I've pretty much already stated how the institution stands as it relates to the SLC above.

Freightliner
January 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Outgrown the Southland Conference??? Best University in Texas??? For crying out loud, Texas State doesn't rank in the top 10 in the state. Pure, utter arrogance coming from the folks out of ASG.

you hit the nail RIGHT on the head!!

It's a new flavor called "Stupidity"

Texas State has made the announcement at least once in the past decade on moving up. Does anyone remember what happened then?

ASG never really got involved the last time this issue was raised. Ever since the name change fiasco has ASG decided make their small presence felt.

A lot of prolems began to creep in once the 1st annoucement was made - mainly due to the lack of information that the admins failed to take into consideration.

I've learned from personal experience what kind of people you can expect to see out of that group of misfits. They are an exact meaning of fundamental misrepresentation of representative democracy just like their buddy Sen. Jeff Wentworth...

TT - I couldnt have said it any better myself...

Scary thing is that these yahoos might actually run our state someday....

GeauxLions94
January 30th, 2008, 12:32 PM
you hit the nail RIGHT on the head!!

It's a new flavor called "Stupidity"

ASG never really got involved the last time this issue was raised. Ever since the name change fiasco has ASG decided make their small presence felt.

A lot of prolems began to creep in once the 1st annoucement was made - mainly due to the lack of information that the admins failed to take into consideration.

Rep points coming your way for being the "Voice of Reason" in San Marcos. xbowx xbowx xbowx

Texas State is a great institution with a lot of tradition. But to make the move, you have to have some skins on the wall ... and athletically, you're not there yet.

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM

If folks like Chris Jones (who asked members of the SHSU staff if they knew who he was -- trying to get "special privileges" on our campus), Robert Doerr and Justin Fischer have any involvement in state politics...the state of Texas may end up being more corrupt than the state of Louisiana by a long-shot! xnonono2x

Those folks have been nothing but trouble, for their institution, the system and the state of Texas. The state gave them their name change, but they had larger goals than that which luckily did not occur (i.e flagship). xoopsx

MaximumBobcat
January 30th, 2008, 03:46 PM
You guys can say you disagree with the proposed move, but all the hating and personal attacks/insults is going a little too far IMO.

What good can come from you guys hating on this? It really seems that some of you guys want this to fail. Sad.

xtwocentsx

patssle
January 30th, 2008, 04:12 PM
My guess to why some folks want to see you fail is because of all the arrogance that has come out of Texas State over the years...publically and privately. Officially and non-officially.

I don't want you to fail...but I predict a failure.

MaximumBobcat
January 30th, 2008, 04:49 PM
My guess to why some folks want to see you fail is because of all the arrogance that has come out of Texas State over the years...publically and privately. Officially and non-officially.

Those are some damn fine excuses, but people should still be more mature. xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx xsmileyclapx

If McNeese or SFA was moving up, I would certainly want them to succeed because it makes the SLC look like a stronger conference, but that's just me.

GeauxLions94
January 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
If McNeese or SFA was moving up, I would certainly want them to succeed because it makes the SLC look like a stronger conference, but that's just me.

If McNeese decided to move to FBS, there wouldn't be too much of an argument from most fans here since they have a successful history dating back to the 70's and have SLC skins on the wall (12 of them to be exact).

If Texas State left the Southland (the league that is holding them back, BTW), get ready to be the "UL-city name here" of Texas on a yearly basis. xtwocentsx

MaximumBobcat
January 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I still don't see where you guys get the idea that you have to be a great FCS team to move to FBS.

patssle
January 30th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I still don't see where you guys get the idea that you have to be a great FCS team to move to FBS.

Anybody can move to FBS. I think the thing is that since you guys are historically bottom feeder, moving to FBS is extremely stupid just to be the bottom of the bottom feeder.

MaximumBobcat
January 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Anybody can move to FBS. I think the thing is that since you guys are historically bottom feeder, moving to FBS is extremely stupid just to be the bottom of the bottom feeder.

Well, we'll just have to see won't we. I think we'll do fine.

GeauxLions94
January 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Here's a list of some former FCS teams that have made the move to FBS ...
Boise State - won I-AA National Title in 1980 and played in '94 title game; we know what they've done since moving to FCS.

Marshall - Two I-AA titles and four runner-up spots; great when moved up to FBS with Moss, Leftwich and Pennington. But what have they done lately? Especially in the juggernaut that is C-USA?

Louisiana-Monroe - Won 1987 title led by Stan Humphries. Since moving up to FBS in 1994 ... no winning seasons (best record came in 2007 at 6-6).

Louisiana Tech - 1984 I-AA runner-up; moved to FBS in 1989 and posted three 8-win seasons (1990/91/99) and went 9-2 under Gary Crowton in 1997. Has posted two winning seasons since 2001 while playing in a conference (WAC) where it nearest rival is 1,000 miles away and was the lowest-rated FBS conference in the Sagarin ratings.

Nevada - Played in 1990 title game. Has been decent in WAC, but no Boise State.

Arkansas State - Lost in 1986 I-AA game. Has been mediocre in the Sun Belt (the second-lowest rated conference, by Sagarin, behind ... the WAC).

All these teams had great success at the FCS level before making the jump. I forgot to mention Louisiana-Lafayette who lost to a pitiful ULM team in 2005 with a bowl bid (that was moved to their home field after Katrina).

Do you get it know??? xcoffeex

MaximumBobcat
January 30th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Nothing great is ever easy.

You have to take some risks and right now and over the next 4 years we are weighing our risks and putting ourselves in the best position when the moratorium is up.

TexasTerror
January 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM
You have to take some risks and right now and over the next 4 years we are weighing our risks and putting ourselves in the best position when the moratorium is up.

Has the overall Texas State - San Marcos sports program improved over the last few years? Throw football out. What's going on in San Marcos? Basketball and baseball are not where the folks there expect them to be. Davalos should be able to turn it around in a few years and Harrington is not going anywhere fast, a stadium could help, eh?

FBS is just not about football, it's the program at large. Your school is not ready and your fan base would not enjoy being in the Sun Belt...as most would be realists and realize, that jumping out of the Belt may be a long way down the road...

MaximumBobcat
January 31st, 2008, 12:12 AM
Basketball has improved big time! I think our men are in sixth right now (big improvement from past years and with a lot of Frosh players that Davalos just recruited) and I think our women are in first place. Our baseball team finished 3rd in the conference, a little lower than we usually do, but still a respectable performance.

We aren't ready right now, you're right. But will we be in 3, 4, or 5 years? We'll just have to wait and see.

slycat
February 2nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Has the overall Texas State - San Marcos sports program improved over the last few years? Throw football out. What's going on in San Marcos? Basketball and baseball are not where the folks there expect them to be. Davalos should be able to turn it around in a few years and Harrington is not going anywhere fast, a stadium could help, eh?

FBS is just not about football, it's the program at large. Your school is not ready and your fan base would not enjoy being in the Sun Belt...as most would be realists and realize, that jumping out of the Belt may be a long way down the road...

baseball is doing fine. they have fallen back a little in the last few years but look at the rice win last year.

basketball is improving after nutt ran the program into the ground.

womens basketball is at top of conference.

volleyball has had 3 ncaa postseason appearances in last few years.

that being said we have a lot to improve.

slycat
February 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM

past results mean nothing. we won two DII titles then moved to DI and became a bottom feeder. never know what will happen.

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
clogging

GreatAppSt
February 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
die log die!

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM
baseball is doing fine. they have fallen back a little in the last few years but look at the rice win last year.

That does not mean much. When SHSU was garbage in baseball, we had won about a handful or so straight against Rice...which included wins during their CWS win.

You guys may get your open spot -- South Alabama is being looked into by C-USA. If USA leaves the Sun Belt, they'll be down to 12 teams. Not sure what direction the conference would go in from there...

Freightliner
February 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Rep points coming your way for being the "Voice of Reason" in San Marcos. xbowx xbowx xbowx

Tank ya Tank ya.....no applause...just send money - no to San Marcos though...although my home would do just nicely. xpeacex

Fresno St. Alum
February 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM
That does not mean much. When SHSU was garbage in baseball, we had won about a handful or so straight against Rice...which included wins during their CWS win.

You guys may get your open spot -- South Alabama is being looked into by C-USA. If USA leaves the Sun Belt, they'll be down to 12 teams. Not sure what direction the conference would go in from there...

What is C-USA gonna do go to14? Or is this just talk if the Big East steals a C-USA member

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2008, 02:49 PM
What is C-USA gonna do go to14? Or is this just talk if the Big East steals a C-USA member

However, residence in the Sun Belt may be relatively short-lived. Conference USA, which has a far more recognizable membership, has already made overtures to South Alabama.

“They’d like to establish a relationship because of their tie-in with the GMAC Bowl,” he said. “They are very interested in South Alabama joining their league.“

http://www.dothaneagle.com/gulfcoasteast/dea/sports.apx.-content-articles-DEA-2008-02-02-0009.html

slycat
February 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
:pumpuke: if we join the sunbelt

Fresno St. Alum
February 4th, 2008, 06:36 PM
if you don't join the Belt then where do think you're gonna go? SLC & FCS or FBS & Belt or Indy

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
if you don't join the Belt then where do think you're gonna go? SLC & FCS or FBS & Belt or Indy

The Bobcat faithful think the WAC or C-USA is where they will head...

The realists know that right now, unless changes start rolling, the Sun Belt is their destination. Not sure their fan base will like that more and considering their football futility, it's not like they'll even be able to win in a league that includes Troy and Western Kentucky...considering they could never hang with those schools when they were FCS...

slycat
February 4th, 2008, 08:39 PM
i dont think we will go to another conference.

but i still dont want to go the sunbelt.

cusa fits us the best geographically. but that doesnt really matter i guess.

Fresno St. Alum
February 4th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Texas St. would be at the bottom of the WAC's list and C-USA's. WAC would want N.Texas, UC Davis, Montana, UTSA over Texas St.

C-USA would S.Alabama, Charlotte, UTSA, MTSU, FAU over Texas St.

TexasTerror
February 4th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I find it interesting that we know for a fact that C-USA has made overtures to South Al...

USA would be a nice fit for them as noted in the article because of the GMAC Bowl. The Sun Belt would love the GMAC Bowl to join the NOLA Bowl because it's in the footprint. There's no secret there...

Will there be more bowls on the horizon? Of course. The Sun Belt is working the pavement trying to get more bowls tooting their horn...

MaximumBobcat
February 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Texas St. would be at the bottom of the WAC's list and C-USA's. WAC would want N.Texas, UC Davis, Montana, UTSA over Texas St.

C-USA would S.Alabama, Charlotte, UTSA, MTSU, FAU over Texas St.

Before you go spouting off all this, how about a little proof? Some evidence? A press release from the WAC? An interview with the C-USA commissioner? Something?

Fresno St. Alum
February 4th, 2008, 10:50 PM
fine, don't believe me. I've been watching conference movement in since 1990-91. For Texas St. to jump over the Belt to the other 2 the Big East would need to split and the MWC would need to take 3 WAC members.

You have any proof that we want you? No you don't. WAC says it's fine with 9 and not looking to expand so does that count? C-USA only mentions S.Alabama not Texas St.

MaximumBobcat
February 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM
fine, don't believe me. I've been watching conference movement in since 1990-91. For Texas St. to jump over the Belt to the other 2 the Big East would need to split and the MWC would need to take 3 WAC members.

You have any proof that we want you? No you don't. WAC says it's fine with 9 and not looking to expand so does that count? C-USA only mentions S.Alabama not Texas St.

You may very well be right. However, I just wanted to verify that you made it all up and have no hard info. We have no chance of moving straight to C-USA. I have spoken to our AD and he told me that he has been in "talks" with the WAC Commissioner. When I asked the chance of us joining their conference, all he would give up was "It's a possibility". The Sunbelt is definitely the front-runner right now though. My personal pipe dream conference would be a new SWC, an idea that has been thrown around the past few years.

I'm not sure where you get that the WAC says that 9 is enough, just last season the WAC commish said that UNT still has a standing offer to join.

Fresno St. Alum
February 4th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I read that too on the NCAAbbs board. I heard it was BS. UNT turned down the WAC already and said they have no interest. After they said no we got Idaho. They said they're not looking to expand now go on a WAC board or e-mail the commish and he'll tell you. If UTSA adds football there is a shot the WAC would add them with their 65,000 seat stadium to be a travel partner for La Tech. But if La Tech leaves the WAC will stay out of Texas. I told you the possibility is if the MWC takes 3 from the WAC then yeah.

MaximumBobcat
February 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I hope that MWC does take 3 from the WAC. I hope Big East steals a LOT from C-USA also. I'm hoping for some major conference shakeups in the next few years and I want TxSt to be in a position in case something falls in our lap (like my pipe dream new-SWC). I'd be fine with the Belt for the next couple of years as we grow towards C-USA or wait for the shake up.

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I've stated this before, but if the folks in San Marcos and even Beaumont (Lamar) have intentions on moving to FBS, Sam Houston State would go too...

The schools in the Sun Belt have no intentions on forming an FBS Southland. Those schools got out of the SLC for the SBC and do not think their fans would want to relapse into that. This is what leads me to believe that there will be a new Southwest Conference. It'd cover the same region as the SLC does right now (TX, AR, LA) with possibly Oklahoma involved. Eight football schools, four non-football (probably Oral Roberts, UALR on that list). It works...

Fresno St. Alum
February 5th, 2008, 08:08 PM
TT, problem is none of the others would leave their auto-bid conference for the new SWC until it had an auto-bid. 4 team conference won't work while you're waiting for the others. You'd need UTPA, Houston Baptist +2

Hey When Fresno St. left the Big West to be with the more powerful WAC in 1992 we thought we detched ourself from the BWC. But no, it's like the Big West/Big Sky all over again

slycat
February 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I've stated this before, but if the folks in San Marcos and even Beaumont (Lamar) have intentions on moving to FBS, Sam Houston State would go too...

The schools in the Sun Belt have no intentions on forming an FBS Southland. Those schools got out of the SLC for the SBC and do not think their fans would want to relapse into that. This is what leads me to believe that there will be a new Southwest Conference. It'd cover the same region as the SLC does right now (TX, AR, LA) with possibly Oklahoma involved. Eight football schools, four non-football (probably Oral Roberts, UALR on that list). It works...

i doubt lamar would move up right away.

i conference of mostly new fbs schools would fail IMO. the idea for most schools moving up is to play with more recognizable schools not a bunch of teams moving up. then again thats what teams in the sunbelt and cusa think when schools move up too.

i think your idea of current fbs teams moving conferences is more likely then a whole new conference forming.