PDA

View Full Version : Prognosticating the Patriot: Week 4

colgate13
September 21st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Now up on The 13 Yard Line (http://colgate13.blogspot.com).

The short and sweet:

Lafayette over Fordham
Stony Brook over Georgetown
Lehigh over VMI
Delaware over Holy Cross

Colgate and Bucknell are idle.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM
First time I've checked out your blog, 13. Very nice job! I will be a regular reader from now on.

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Stony Brook over Georgetown
Damn, that's a little harsh. :( Last time the two met (2003), G'town put a whoopin on them Seawolves.

cosmo here
September 21st, 2005, 11:13 AM

Joe Mauer would have been a hell of a quarterback at Florida State before he was drafted No. 1 by the Twins . . Brad Maurer is pretty good also.

Pat Davis played against Marist and threw a touchdown pass, he's also a four-year starter at long snapper (little known fact).

Hurt injured his knee in the first half and Belton/D'Urso played in the second half comeback.

One thing's for sure, both Lafayette and Fordham certainly have something to prove on Saturday.

Fordham
September 21st, 2005, 11:52 AM

One thing's for sure, both Lafayette and Fordham certainly have something to prove on Saturday.

hey, don't try to weasel in on our misery like that. there's only one team out there with something to prove on Pard field on Saturday and it 'ain't' the team that knocked off Richmond.

LBPop
September 21st, 2005, 12:59 PM
Damn, that's a little harsh. :( Last time the two met (2003), G'town put a whoopin on them Seawolves.

As difficult as it is for me to say this, these Hoyas do not deserve any respect until they earn it. I picked the Hoyas this week on our little Patriot League Board contest (based on what should happen), but based on what I've seen (and I've seen all three games), these guys are playing way below their collective talent level. So far, they have been a classic example of the whole being far less than the sum of its parts. If I had to bet, I would not put serious money on Georgetown. This game could be the one that turns them back around or it could be the one that says that the rest of the season will not be pretty.

colgate13
September 21st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Pat Davis played against Marist and threw a touchdown pass, he's also a four-year starter at long snapper (little known fact).

Thank you for the correction. I did not know either fact.

njhoya
September 22nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Pop, is it possible that the expectations were higher than they should've been and that they are playing (unfortunately) up to their abilities?

LBPop
September 22nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Pop, is it possible that the expectations were higher than they should've been and that they are playing (unfortunately) up to their abilities?

Of course, mine is just another opinion and it is obviously distorted by my new and personal connection with the program. However, I have seen 11 of their 14 games in the past two seasons and I know a bit about the game. I should admit, however, that I have not slept at a Holiday Inn Express recently. :p

I believe that these kids are capable of much more than they have accomplished. I have watched their scrimmages and even some practices. I also believe that I have a handle on the talent level of their competition. I am convinced that depending on their opponent, a significant number of the Georgetown starters would also be starters (or strong #2s) on the teams that they are playing. That's the tangible part. It's the intangibles that have me scratching my head. Something has to change--whether it's strategy, personnel decisions, or the simple need for the players to take control of their own situation, I cannot really say. While I have my opinions (like everyone else), I know a lot less than the players and the staff and I will always defer to them.

colgate13
September 22nd, 2005, 12:14 PM
I think we're all expecting G'Town to do better than they have. I look at their recruits for the past several years and see more than one name that Colgate would have liked to have. I look at their team now and wonder why they aren't at least capable of .500 given their schedule. It really is mind boggling. I wonder how long G'Town can continue with Benson at the helm? And with underfunding their team?

ngineer
September 22nd, 2005, 12:34 PM
I saw the Lehigh/G'town game last year and the score, while lopsided, was not indicative of the game. The Hoyas showed some athleticism and moved the ball very well. Special teams breakdowns and some big mistakes were jumped on by Lehigh. With a lot back this year, I thought they would be in position for a .500 season.

TheValleyRaider
September 22nd, 2005, 04:18 PM
I'll go with:

Lafayette over Fordham
Georgetown over Stony Brook (need a win over those darn NEC teams)
Lehigh over VMI
Delaware over Holy Cross, but with the A-10 schedule starting next week, and HC playing well this year, I think it'll be much closer than some of the Hens might want or expect.

ngineer
September 22nd, 2005, 09:07 PM
Although VMI is somewhat looked down upon, this will be a good game for Lehigh to make a statement as to how they come back from a tough loss. VMI does not make many mistakes. Very disciplined. Lehigh only has trouble if they make mistakes (penalties/turnovers) and I would look for them to come out with some focus.
I think HC will hang tough with the Hens for awhile, but with lack of overall speed and not as deep, I expect UD to win by 3 tds, pulling away in the second half.
Lafayette has a MUST win situation with Fordham. A second loss in a row could cause doubt to seep into the Pards' heads and also put them behind the 8-ball for defending their co-title by having to run the table. PLus, with Harvard on the horizon, chances at a selection would be seriously damaged. Fordham has already lost any chance of getting a selection and may come in with a real attitude of just letting it fly and open it up with trickery. There have been some great shootout between these two teams in the past. Could be another.
G'town will be playing for some pride after two lopsided losses. If they don't beat the Seawolves, it will be a very long season.
Colgate and Bucknell are getting a well-needed respite--time to get their heads screwed on straight before bad inertia sets in.

Lafalumni29
September 23rd, 2005, 10:24 AM
IMO I don't think Lafayette is feeling the pressure of a "must win". This team has alot more talent than many will give them credit for. They just need to make the decision as to who the QB will be NOW and not at halftime when they are down 20-6 (a la Princeton)!!! The back up, Pat davis, is a very capable QB. In fact I got to the Richmond game late and thought Pat was Brad until he threw the ball (better arm).
I'm not panicking (yet). Our schedule is a bit harder than most realize. Marist over CCSU. Richmond over Maine (actually scored 26 on them). Princeton has there whole O-line back!!!

Fordham
September 23rd, 2005, 11:33 AM
to all lafayette fans who speak of being anywhere near the vacinity of 'panic' or talking about this as a 'must win', etc. ...

please take my shoe and put it on your dogs for a little while.

it'll give you new appreciation for words like 'panic' and 'must win'.

Fordham
September 23rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
btw, for those of you that have seen Bucknell play ... what's up? How did their D look, specifically Conover? Is it all an offensive problem?

if my overall luck in this year's football season is any indication, they should start to gel into the team we expected right around November 5th

... which would be far too late for Bucknell fans and a little too early for Fordham ones.

ngineer
September 23rd, 2005, 12:41 PM
IMO I don't think Lafayette is feeling the pressure of a "must win". This team has alot more talent than many will give them credit for. They just need to make the decision as to who the QB will be NOW and not at halftime when they are down 20-6 (a la Princeton)!!! The back up, Pat davis, is a very capable QB. In fact I got to the Richmond game late and thought Pat was Brad until he threw the ball (better arm).
I'm not panicking (yet). Our schedule is a bit harder than most realize. Marist over CCSU. Richmond over Maine (actually scored 26 on them). Princeton has there whole O-line back!!!

I agree, but it doesn't get any easier. That's why a loss to Fordham would be almost a mortal wound to playoff chances unless the league title is won--especially in light of Fordham's record (which I believe doesn't reflect their dangerousness). Too many will see them as an 0-3 team. I thnk Tavani should go with Davis from the start. If he should struggle, and if Mauer is capable he can sub, but I'd let Mauer complete his healing if possible.

Fordham
September 23rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
especially in light of Fordham's record (which I believe doesn't reflect their dangerousness). :rolleyes: sheesh, what does a team have to do around here to start getting overlooked?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2005, 01:08 PM
:rolleyes: sheesh, what does a team have to do around here to start getting overlooked?

Lose to Lehigh :cool:

Fordham
September 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM
i guess i agree that if THAT were to happen, we could pretty much call it a season.

LBPop
September 23rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes: sheesh, what does a team have to do around here to start getting overlooked?

Simple answer. Play in Washington, DC. ;) :p :D :(

JoltinJoe
September 23rd, 2005, 01:35 PM

Dunno.

I knew it was a bad sign in the spring game when the defense won by causing four turnovers.

You can't make excuses for our "young offense" anymore, like we did last year when it made costly turnovers. We should be passed the point of giving away points the way we do.

colgate13
September 23rd, 2005, 09:12 PM
You can't make excuses for our "young offense" anymore, like we did last year when it made costly turnovers. We should be passed the point of giving away points the way we do.

What do you think the early line is on a Colgate/Fordham game turnover amount? 12? :eek: :D