PDA

View Full Version : ODU Gets 14th Commitment

Monarch History
January 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Old Dominion received its 14th verbal commitment today when safety DeAnthony Jones picked the Monarchs over James Madison and Syracuse.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/safety-maryland-commits-odu

Syntax Error
January 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Old Dominion received its 14th verbal commitment today when safety DeAnthony Jones picked the Monarchs over James Madison and Syracuse.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/safety-maryland-commits-odu"I like hitting people; it's what I do," Jones said. "I picked ODU because I want to be a part of something new and make history." xthumbsupx

Seawolf97
January 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Nice article and nice pick upxthumbsupx

Monarch History
January 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Has anyone in Maryland seen this kid play in high school?

Tod
January 27th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Cool! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

jmuroller
January 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Great pickup for ODU, but JMU didn't offer him. We've been done with recruiting for at least a week. We only had 10 schollies and we have used them all up.

Monarch Nation
January 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Coach Wilder has proven that he can recruit. Can't hardly wait for the Feb. 6 signings. If he can coach as well as he can recruit we're in for a treat.

andy7171
January 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Has anyone in Maryland seen this kid play in high school?

No. But PG County is one of the big football producing counties (but then again I am biased) and Flowers is the same HS that Omar Cuff came out of.

I don't understand, so these guys are signing on to a program that won't start until a year from now? What do they do next season? Drills? Is it a club team? Do they scrimmage D.III schools?

Monarch Nation
January 28th, 2008, 07:50 AM
It is not a club team, ODU has committed to a full scholarship FCS team.

Everybody in ODU's first recruiting class will red shirt. ODU will also hold open tryouts in early Feb to be able to have enough bodies to practice. I believe Coach Wilder said there are about 70 interested students right now for the tryouts. The team will then do everything that a working football team does except play games on Saturday. They will drill, scrimmage, go to class, etc. They will start playing on Sept 5, 2009.

andy7171
January 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah I knew they were starting up at 63 what I didn't know is what these players were going to do next season. You'd think they could get another couple club teams or JC to scrimmage just to mix up the monotany. Summer camp is only 2-3 weeks and you go bonkers doing the same stuff without a payoff. I can't imagine doing it for a full season.

D1scout
January 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I think it is exciting to see ODU return to the football ranks after 65+ years. I remember my father talking about some of the old East teams like ODU, Holy Cross, Yale, Harvard and others like The Citadel along with Notre Dame. Since he came from a relative poor family he remembered the times he got to attend a few of these events. He would, along with a couple of buddies, hitch rides on trains or by "thumbing" his way. Often, he could sneak his way in or watch the game outside the gates or fences. Aah, those must have been good times. He said it was always quite an adventure and he remembered the good times with his buddies who have long pasted with him.
I plan on attending the first game ODU plays.:)

Seawolf97
January 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
It is a good time for Old Dominion!

ODUfootballfan
January 29th, 2008, 04:22 PM
For an upstart program, it sure seems that ODU is on a good track in terms of organization, recruits, stadium & facilities, and local & alumni enthusiasm !!!

Monarch History
January 29th, 2008, 04:54 PM
For an upstart program, it sure seems that ODU is on a good track in terms of organization, recruits, stadium & facilities, and local & alumni enthusiasm !!!

Welcome aboard ODUfootballfan, it's great having a fellow Monarch on these boards. I have to agree whole heartily that the school has done a great job "in terms of organization, recruits, stadium & facilities". Until Dr. Runte came to ODU, football was miles away in our future. It was just a pipe dream. We are going to definitely miss her leadership.

Dr. Jarrett and the school have done everything to set the stage to help make ODU football successful. Now it's up to Coach Wilder and his staff. Judging from everything right now, I say we'll be fine.xnodx

Seawolf97
January 29th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Welcome to AGS! Your program is definetly going in the right directionxthumbsupx

PantherRob82
January 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
exciting! :)

Syntax Error
January 30th, 2008, 01:18 AM
exciting! :)and inviting!

Tod
January 30th, 2008, 01:27 AM
and inviting!

Electrifying!!!

Seawolf97
January 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM