PDA

View Full Version : I-AA disrespect, or high expectations of one's team?

DuckDuckGriz
September 20th, 2005, 08:37 PM
You decide....Some words from Washington State's Bill Doba...

....Doba said he was more pleased after seeing the game video than he was after the game, when he criticized his team for lackadaisical play in the second quarter.

Doba said he tends to raise his expectations unreasonably against I-AA teams.

"You think every run should go for 10 yards and every pass should be a completion," he said, adding that such expectations are unreasonable against scholarship athletes. Division I-AA schools can offer 63 scholarships.

rest of the article (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2002504436_coug19.html)

Tod
September 20th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Not really glowing praise for I-AA, but still...not too bad, is it? :confused:

Tod
September 21st, 2005, 12:51 AM
You think every run should go for 10 yards and every pass should be a completion," he said, adding that such expectations are unreasonable against scholarship athletes. Division I-AA schools can offer 63 scholarships.

Maybe it depends on how you read the sentence?

:confused: :confused: :) :)

JALMOND
September 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'd say he is describing the "perfect" football game. Every run is 10 yards, therefore a first down. Every pass is completed, therefore at the end of the game the QB is 100%. It isn't noted, but I'd suspect the next sentence wouold be "Every opposing play results in negative yards." I can't see where this could be taken seriously. Even in a game between Southern Cal and Occidental, I would say that it would not happen.

I'd say Grambling gave him a good indication of 1-AA football, and he acknowledged that it caught him a little off guard. Therefore a positive.

putter
September 21st, 2005, 12:53 PM
I'd say he is describing the "perfect" football game. Every run is 10 yards, therefore a first down. Every pass is completed, therefore at the end of the game the QB is 100%. It isn't noted, but I'd suspect the next sentence wouold be "Every opposing play results in negative yards." I can't see where this could be taken seriously. Even in a game between Southern Cal and Occidental, I would say that it would not happen.

I'd say Grambling gave him a good indication of 1-AA football, and he acknowledged that it caught him a little off guard. Therefore a positive.

Bet Stanford thought the same thing!

Down with the Foe!
September 21st, 2005, 01:05 PM
It's a smack in the face.

I agree!!
:mad:

I grew up in the Palouse, and a Coug fan.... and more than that, I have always been a Coach Doba fan. I cannot believe he would say something like that. Amazing how big these guys heads get when they move to that BCS - BS level of play.

Too many millionaires.

Go Griz

IaaScribe
September 21st, 2005, 02:01 PM
No disrespect all, but you take stuff like this WAAAAAY too seriously. It's like you're looking for reasons to be pissy.

I-AA football is not the same level as I-A. It simply isn't. That's not to say I-AA isn't competitive, interesting and fun. It is.

bkrownd
September 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM
No disrespect all, but you take stuff like this WAAAAAY too seriously. It's like you're looking for reasons to be pissy.

Yeah, all this juvenile posturing about being "respected" is extremely tiresome.

bkr...fondling my I-AA preview mag...

Marcus Garvey
September 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM
Too may of y'all got chips on your shoulders about I-AA. Get over it.
It's NOT major college football and will be perceived by the majority of I-A fans as inferior. So what? Overall, when I-AA teams go up against I-A teams, the I-AA squad IS inferior to the I-A team. It's still a competitive level within itself. That's why A-10, Ivy and Big Sky conference games are fun to watch!

TigerFan17
September 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
Its funny to me that he said "We need to see Pac-10 speed." UC-Davis saw Pac-10 speed... :D

Kill'em
September 21st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Oregon State saw that Pac-10 speed against Georgia Southern in '99 and uga saw SEC speed last year!

Other than that I found the article to be complimentary to I-AA. The line about running for ten yards and the rest sounded like he underestimated I-AA at first but realized I-AA does have scholarship athletes. It ain't "Bush League!"

GrizFoo
September 21st, 2005, 07:02 PM
Speaking of I-AA vs I-A, one of the guys on CSTV's Crystal Ball picked Youngstown St. to beat Pitt. It was pretty funny, he had some YSU stats, and finished off by saying "Pitt is going to get beat by a bunch of penguins".

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Too may of y'all got chips on your shoulders about I-AA. Get over it.
It's NOT major college football and will be perceived by the majority of I-A fans as inferior. So what? Overall, when I-AA teams go up against I-A teams, the I-AA squad IS inferior to the I-A team. It's still a competitive level within itself. That's why A-10, Ivy and Big Sky conference games are fun to watch!

I realize that, and I think so does most everyone else. When we get mad is when IA people seem to think they are up against a high school team. They think the bottom of IA is above the top of IAA, and all IAA fans know that is pure BS. I remember after GSU played UGA some of the fans thought their season was over because they could not beat GSU by more than 3 touchdowns. I don't expect them to not expect a win, I just don't expect them to expect a blowout, which is not realistic.

PMB4Life
September 21st, 2005, 11:46 PM
YOU TELL 'EM RALPH!!! :D

Kill'em
September 21st, 2005, 11:53 PM
I-AA is not high school or " Bush League " football as the Atlanta Journal Constitution calls it.

I'm with ya Ralph. I-AA all the way!

bkrownd
September 22nd, 2005, 12:14 AM
I could give a yawn what some slack-jawed NFL fanboy goober thinks about I-AA, but if he don't respec the triple option (the offense the Righteous and Holy) I Will Pop A Cap In Dat Boy's Azz!

McUMass
September 22nd, 2005, 12:23 AM
I love I-AA football as much as the next guy, but to be honest its because of my alma mater. I think it's stupid and tactless when the I-AA is disrespected, but what can you do about it aside from post an article in a completely subjective forum and let the dogs loose :D ?

Either way, I'm on my umpteenth season with UMass in the NCAA '06 Football game.

I-A vs I-AA : :deadhorse

bkrownd
September 22nd, 2005, 12:54 AM
Either way, I'm on my umpteenth season with UMass in the NCAA '06 Football game.

Can you hotwire it so we run the Wishbone?

Kill'em
September 22nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
I got to see the game. R.I. looked really good. Coach Stowers is a good man.