PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel Athletics Director Announces Retirement

PTW16
January 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
The Citadel AD Les Robinson Announces His Retirement
Courtesy: CitadelSports.com
Release: 01/25/2008

The Citadel Director of Athletics Les Robinson has announced his retirement, effective June 30, 2008.

CHARLESTON, S.C. – Director of Athletics Les Robinson, the only person in NCAA history to serve as head basketball coach and director of athletics at three Division I institutions and who has been at The Citadel in his current position for the past seven years, has announced his retirement, thus concluding a spectacular coaching and administrative career that began in 1960 as a basketball player at North Carolina State University.

Robinson, a native of St. Albans, W.Va., said that he will retire on June 30, 2008. However, he will be retained as a consultant for the new director of athletics and will assist as an ambassador.

A virtual Who’s Who in intercollegiate athletics and one of the region’s most sought-after speakers, Robinson served as head basketball coach and later director of athletics at The Citadel, East Tennessee State and North Carolina State.

“It has been a wonderful time and a tremendous amount of fun,” said Robinson of his career. “I have often pinched myself because I have lived a life that many dream about, but the best part of this ride has been the great number of people I’ve met along the way.”

“It is impossible to measure the impact Les Robinson has had on our athletics program and on the entire Citadel family,” said Lt. General John Rosa (USAF, ret.), president of The Citadel. “As one of the most highly respected people in college athletics today, Les has consistently championed the highest ideals in college athletics and brought out the best in our student-athletes, our coaches and all others he has mentored. The Citadel is lucky to be the place where he will finish his outstanding career and it has been my privilege to have Les on my team.”

http://www.citadelsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9700&ATCLID=1374965

OL FU
January 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Les is a good onexthumbsupx

Go...gate
January 25th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Large shoes to fill.

GoldandBlack
January 25th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Always one of the good guys, whether FBS or FCS. You won't replace him- you'll have to find someone good to fill his position.xnodx

straightshooter
January 25th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Citdog for AD

citdog
January 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Les Robinson may not be a The Citadel Man, but I am proud to call him BROTHER. Whenever I walk into the brand spanking new General Johnson Hagood,CSA, Stadium I will thank Les for his leadership, vision, and dedication. Job well done Coach!

dungeonjoe
January 25th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Richard Johnson, Citadel grad and Wofford AD, for the job???

PTW16
January 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM

I think that would be a great fit but would he want the job?

seantaylor
January 25th, 2008, 05:25 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

PTW16
January 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Les Robinson may not be a The Citadel Man, but I am proud to call him BROTHER. Whenever I walk into the brand spanking new General Johnson Hagood,CSA, Stadium I will thank Les for his leadership, vision, and dedication. Job well done Coach!

Les said at his press conference today, "I truly wish every state had their own (The) Citadel. Society as a whole would benefit immensely from that."

Thanks for everything you've done, Coach!

Eyes of Old Main
January 25th, 2008, 10:58 PM

I'll get flamed xflamemadx on Terrierfans for this, but I sure hope so. xprayx

BULLDOG8180
January 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I'll get flamed xflamemadx on Terrierfans for this, but I sure hope so. xprayx

I hope Wofford keeps him.

drpnut
January 26th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I would think that Rich would be interested, but how much I don't know. It all depends on how much he and Mrs. Johnson would prefer living in Chuck-town than Sparkle City.

Also, I do believe he would have more pressure at ElCid than at Wofford. Really, he has it made at Wofford, and if this job doesn't lure him away,Woffy will have him until he retires.

Peace

walliver
January 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I hear Brian van Gorder is available.:D