PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Games in danger due to Hurricane Rita

Retro
September 20th, 2005, 01:26 PM
These are the games in danger of being cancelled or postponed due to the hurricane... Looks like Mcneese may never get a home game this year..

Western Carolina at Nicholls State

Texas Southern at Northwestern State

Texas State at Texas a&m

Missouri State at Sam Houston State

Northwestern Oklahome state at Mcneese State

Albany State at Southern

** So pretty much all of the Southland Conference except SFA and SE Louisiana.

OL FU
September 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Hypothetical question. Ralph stated on a previous thread that 7 division one wins are required for an at large bid. Western Carolina plays 9 division one schools this year and has already won and lost one. If their game is cancelled it could make an at-large bid difficult. If the games are cancelled and cannot be re-scheduled, does the rule still apply?

Hopefully it will not become an issue.

buckp
September 20th, 2005, 01:45 PM
These are the games in danger of being cancelled or postponed due to the hurricane... Looks like Mcneese may never get a home game this year..
Just think of the money that the McNeese Athletic Dept. could be missing out on by not having the first two home games.......:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

txstatebobcat
September 20th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Today there will be a meeting at 4:00PM to decide wether to move the TxSt vs Tx A&M game to thursday at 6:00 PM. It has been rumored that, if its moved, the game will be televised on FSN Southwest.

Dallas Demon
September 20th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Texas State at Texas a&m

Albany State at Southern

I can't imagine the Northwestern game being cancelled. There would be lots of rain, but the wind probably wouldn't be that bad that far north. Who knows though.

OL FU
September 20th, 2005, 02:47 PM
The NCAA will figure out leeway for their rules.

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=71808

Thanks and good, I guess I need to read the articles more, huh. :o

NSUDemon98
September 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I can't imagine the Northwestern game being cancelled. There would be lots of rain, but the wind probably wouldn't be that bad that far north. Who knows though.

I agree...especially since I am going to the game. It will probably rain, unfortunately, but that is most likely all that will occur at NSU.

You and Johnny plan on tailgating?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Could Katrina and now Rita force some seriously creative thinking by all the Southland teams? There will be some teams with 11/10/9 games played this year - have any league games been cancelled?

GeauxLions94
September 20th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Texas State at Texas a&m

Albany State at Southern

Thank God we're off this week! We've had our fill with Hurricanes and Tropical Storms. We've lost one game already due to Katrina and played Northern Colorado last season during a tropical storm.

BTW, our Oct. 1 game with Tulane has been moved to LSU's Tiger Stadium

Southeastern/Tulane at Tiger Stadium (http://www.lionsports.net/headlines/football/1755)

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Could Katrina and now Rita force some seriously creative thinking by all the Southland teams? There will be some teams with 11/10/9 games played this year - have any league games been cancelled?

No league games in ANY sports have been cancelled. They did swap some home games in volleyball, swapping home games in Thibodaux (Nicholls) and Hammond (SELA) to later in the year from this past weekend.

Texas A&M and TxSt-San Marcos are talking about moving their game to Thursday for a televised contest on FoxSW, which would be interesting. SHSU is scheduled for a televised game on FSN on Saturday.

Retro
September 20th, 2005, 04:57 PM

It depends on where it comes ashore.. Right now the projection the central part of the texas coast, but Katrina's projected path changed 3-4 times within 24 hours... It's expected to be a category 4 tomorrow! :eek:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-ir4-loop.html

catamount man
September 20th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I read somewhere that a decision will be made on Thursday as far as the WCU-Nicholls State game is concerned. God bless those in this storm's path. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I read somewhere that a decision will be made on Thursday as far as the WCU-Nicholls State game is concerned. God bless those in this storm's path. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I don't see why that game would be cancelled. Small chance that it'll go southeastern Louisiana at this point, though things could change...

McNeese72
September 21st, 2005, 08:07 AM
Just think of the money that the McNeese Athletic Dept. could be missing out on by not having the first two home games.......:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

I just wonder if any of the booster clubs will step up and allow any of their money they are withholding to be allowed to fill in the probable big hole in the budget.

kats89
September 21st, 2005, 10:47 AM
I just wonder if any of the booster clubs will step up and allow any of their money they are withholding to be allowed to fill in the probable big hole in the budget.

I will bet money that there is no at large bids out of the Southland this year after all of this hurricane stuff and cancelling of games, etc.....

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2005, 10:49 AM
Sam Houston State Football Game Possibilities Being Explored
Statement from SHSU Director of Athletics Bobby Williams.

Sept. 21, 2005

HUNTSVILLE, Texas - With Sam Houston State's Fox Sports TV/Parents' Weekend football game with Missouri State scheduled for Saturday night, we are keeping a close eye on the progress of Hurricane Rita.

Sam Houston administration and athletic officials are in touch with their counterparts at Missouri State, Southland Conference and Gateway Conference staff, and Fox Sports as well.

A number of options are available to us. We can play the game as scheduled, cancel, or move to a neutral site. We will make an announcement as to our decision by Thursday at 12 noon.

http://southland.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092105aab.html

Retro
September 21st, 2005, 12:41 PM

They will and always have when the need arised.. Someone's in a bitter mood today. :spank:

Eaglegus2
September 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM
Rita now has winds topping 165 mph and heading for Galveston, Tx.

kats89
September 21st, 2005, 04:27 PM
Rita now has winds topping 165 mph and heading for Galveston, Tx.

It appears that it is gonna make landfall in Matagorda Bay, which is south of Galveston. But, it might as well hit Galveston head on because that is gonna be on the nasty side of the storm. This is gonna get ugly. :eek:

One thing I will say, Houston/Galveston area and the upper Texas coast is ready. Voluntary evacuations were given yesterday morning and mandatory last night and into this morning. They are getting people off of the island and by 6pm tonight, there is no one allowed to travel back south to Galveston area.

I am just pissed because it ruins a good football weekend. :mad:

McNeese75
September 21st, 2005, 04:51 PM
The McNeese game for this weekend has been cancelled :(

blur2005
September 21st, 2005, 05:06 PM
Hurricane Rita is now a Category 5, and is expected to hit somewhere between Houston and Corpus Christi on Friday or Saturday.

kats89
September 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM
The McNeese game for this weekend has been cancelled :(

That is what they should be doing to the SHSU/Mizzou St game. Our AD is not making an announcement until noon tomorrow. COULD HE WAIT ANY LATER?

Dallas Demon
September 21st, 2005, 11:54 PM
There is no indication at this time that the game will not happen at Northwestern. However, with the storm as the 3rd most powerful (with regards to low pressure) on record it would be interesting conditions to play a football game. I would expect 30-40 mph winds (with gusts up to 50 mph) and heavy rains depending of course on the path of the storm. I would bet an announcement of some kind will be made tomorrow.

Dallas Demon
September 21st, 2005, 11:55 PM
It depends on where it comes ashore.. Right now the projection the central part of the texas coast, but Katrina's projected path changed 3-4 times within 24 hours... It's expected to be a category 4 tomorrow! :eek:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-ir4-loop.html

You could be right on this one - Category 5 by earlier this afternoon and still growing. Currently the 3rd strongest on record pressure-wise. This storm will be strong FAR inland.

Dallas Demon
September 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM
I agree...especially since I am going to the game. It will probably rain, unfortunately, but that is most likely all that will occur at NSU.

You and Johnny plan on tailgating?

Not going to this one, however I'm sure JP will assuming the storm doesn't cause havoc.