PDA

View Full Version : Montana State coach likes prospect of border rivalry

Hansel
September 20th, 2005, 10:21 AM
FARGO, N.D. (AP) - North Dakota State has been a team without a rival since the Bison jumped to Division I-AA football two years ago. Montana State would like to help fill the void.

The Bison travel to Bozeman, Mont., this weekend to play the Bobcats for the first time since 1980. Montana State head coach Mike Kramer wants to make NDSU an annual opponent.

``Hopefully, the NCAA will allow everybody to put in a 12th game, which would allow this game to continue,'' Kramer said Monday.

Kramer said the school is bringing in portable bleachers with hopes of setting an attendance record for an out-of-state opponent. He said more than 14,000 fans are expected at Bobcat Stadium, which normally seats 12,800.

http://www.ncaafootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=32&url_subchannel_id=&url_article_id=5789&change_well_id=2

colgate13
September 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Hansel -

I'm assuming that UND was your previous rival. Something's been bugging me: How can UND be Division I school in ice hockey but Division II in everything else? Are they part of that grandfathering rule?

And also - why doesn't NDSU have an ice hockey team? Is UND the only show in town? Any hopes of starting one now that you're moving up a Division?

89rabbit
September 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I beg to differ on the line "North Dakota State has been a team without a rival since the Bison jumped to Division I-AA football two years ago." :eyebrow:

http://www.argusleader.com/gallery/2004/sdsu_ndsu/images/5.jpg

SDSU 24 - NDSU 21 . . . ring any bells?

Hansel
September 20th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Hansel -

I'm assuming that UND was your previous rival. Something's been bugging me: How can UND be Division I school in ice hockey but Division II in everything else? Are they part of that grandfathering rule?

And also - why doesn't NDSU have an ice hockey team? Is UND the only show in town? Any hopes of starting one now that you're moving up a Division?

The NCAA allows a school to play up a division in one sport other than Football or Basketball, reflected in the fact that a large proportion of "DI hockey" teams are DII/DIII institutions (over half of the WCHA is DII/DIII)

There has been talk of hockey at NDSU every couple of years, but the interest hasn't been that great, plus you would have to add women's hockey which is a money pit. If hockey happens at NDSU, it won't be for a while.

Hansel
September 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Bison face tough QB (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=103573&section=Sports)

When he’s not throwing footballs, Montana State quarterback Travis Lulay enjoys hunting, fishing, hiking and skiing.

He’s in the right place for his hobbies – Bozeman, Mont., has all of that. The Rocky Mountains make for a great getaway from the hastle of school and Division I-AA football.

“I’m an outdoorsy guy and this is as good a place as any in the world for that,” he said.

Lulay has been all-world since arriving at Montana State in 2002. He became a starter halfway through the season and led the Bobcats to a Big Sky Conference title.

dakotadan
September 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM
The NCAA allows a school to play up a division in one sport other than Football or Basketball, reflected in the fact that a large proportion of "DI hockey" teams are DII/DIII institutions (over half of the WCHA is DII/DIII)

There has been talk of hockey at NDSU every couple of years, but the interest hasn't been that great, plus you would have to add women's hockey which is a money pit. If hockey happens at NDSU, it won't be for a while.

This is partially correct. Because the NCAA does not sanction a DII Hockey Championship, DII schools that sponsor hockey play at the DI level. As NDSU fans like to point out these DII schools are only trophy eligible. :p So technically if UND still wanted to they could also move up 1 mens and 1 womens team. I wouldn't mind seeing UND moving its softball/baseball teams or even our swimming teams to DI if those in charge will not consider moving all of its programs to DI.

As far as NDSU having a hockey program, I would love to see that. It would be great to see our teams meet on the ice. With NDSU being a very good school and because of it's location, I think NDSU could have a very competative team very quickly.