PDA

View Full Version : Idaho State is out of Control

ISUMatt
September 20th, 2005, 07:17 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2166581

POCATELLO, Idaho -- Several Idaho State University athletes are under investigation for assault and the firing of three bullets into an empty car belonging to a football player, Pocatello Police Capt. Kirk Nelson said Monday.

The alleged assault occurred at a party celebrating ISU's 37-0 win Saturday over Montana-Western.

Three or four Bengal football players allegedly began hitting and kicking ISU basketball players and threatening to throw them off a 15-foot-high porch, Nelson told the Idaho State Journal.

Hours later, a football player's car was hit by three rounds from a handgun in an apparent drive-by shooting.

Police have not definitively linked the two incidents.

Nelson said it appears the basketball players did little to provoke the attack, in which they suffered only cuts and bruises.

"I think [some football players] came looking for trouble," Nelson said. "It's gone way too far. With guns involved, somebody's going to get seriously hurt or killed."

While police were investigating the assault, someone fired three bullets into a parked car owned by one of the football players, police said.

Detectives are also investigating a possible connection between the weekend incidents and an alleged sexual assault last week, Nelson said.

One of the football player's girlfriends told police Sept. 15 that someone she believed to be an ISU basketball player had sexually assaulted her the week before, Nelson said. After looking into the claim, police concluded the man was neither a basketball player nor an ISU student. Police have not been able to locate him for questioning.

ISU athletic director Paul Bubb said the students involved in the Saturday night fracas may face disciplinary action, including suspension or dismissal.

"I take this very personally," Bubb said. "I believe we'll be judged by how we handle this, and I'm hoping we will handle it in a way that people see were sincere about our efforts."

ISU Vice President Kent Tingey said the university's athletic department and student services were conducting investigations independent of the athletic department, and were in the process of interviewing about a dozen athletes.

ChickenMan
September 20th, 2005, 07:58 AM
The alleged assault occurred at a party celebrating ISU's 37-0 win Saturday over Montana-Western.

They are out of control... who celebrates a win over Montana-Western... :p

catbob
September 20th, 2005, 09:10 AM
MSU and UM have always called the Bengals thugs, and they always deny it. They are going to have a little harder time denying it now.

Still a bad situation and I hope it is resolved peacefully.

Jacks99
September 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Is this in Idaho or LA?

putter
September 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM
MSU and UM have always called the Bengals thugs, and they always deny it. They are going to have a little harder time denying it now.

Still a bad situation and I hope it is resolved peacefully.

Sad but true! :o

NoCoDanny
September 20th, 2005, 11:37 AM
This type of negative PR is how coaches lose jobs. Especially if they aren't fully backed and any excuse like this can be used against them. I don't know the coache's situation at ISU but he better get his thumb on this fast if he is under any amount of scrutiny

mlbowl
September 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Awwww....campus life, ISU style....rape, battery and drive-by shootings ;) How refreshing!

griz37
September 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Have you guys been to Pocatello? What else is there to do but get drunk and shoot up somebody's car? :confused:

kmax
September 20th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Have you guys been to Pocatello? What else is there to do but get drunk and shoot up somebody's car? :confused:
I'll second this one!

Weberrr
September 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Wow! You folks are quick to pass judgement when charges haven't been announced. These are allegations.

I agree, it's been a good month since an ISU athlete has been in trouble with the law.

biobengal
September 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Conveniently, I seem to remember an incident with methamphetamines..... Hmmm...........

catamount man
September 20th, 2005, 09:21 PM
This type of negative PR is how coaches lose jobs. Especially if they aren't fully backed and any excuse like this can be used against them.

Ask Bill Bleil, our previous head coach, and you sure won't get an argument! Sad for ISU. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Tod
September 20th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Is this in Idaho or LA?

LA has been evacuated due to hurrican Katrina...oh..OH, THAT LA. Sorry.

:D :D ;)

Tod
September 20th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Just as I decided to take a chance and give the Bengals my #25 vote. :mad:

:D :D