PDA

View Full Version : Teams shooting themselves in the foot with OOC scheduling

FlyBoy8
September 20th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Can someone explain why SHSU would schedule two I-A teams? That kind of scheduling pretty much eliminates a team from playoff/NC contention before the season even starts. What's the point?

FlyBoy8
September 20th, 2005, 03:04 AM
But if you lose four games, you have to win the autobid or you're out, right? Did they change that?

Either way, it would make more sense to me if SHSU had scheduled one I-A game and one tough I-AA opponent, rather than putting two essentially unwinnable games on there.

(is unwinnable a word?)

golionsgo
September 20th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Can someone explain why SHSU would schedule two I-A teams? That kind of scheduling pretty much eliminates a team from playoff/NC contention before the season even starts. What's the point?

It's called funding the athletic department. One can spin it anyway they want, but the bottom line is, these games are played for money and the notion they are played to prepare teams for conference play is a very small reason at best. Don't get me wrong, Sam Houston against the U of Houston is an attractive local matchup and makes for a somewhat competitive ballgame, but I doubt it would have been scheduled had there not been a reasonably good guarantee. Same thing with us and Tulane.

Cocky
September 20th, 2005, 06:22 AM
After being spanked two years in a row in the playoffs, JSU had to upgrade their OOC to see where we rank in the National scene. The bad part our record is 0-3 but we have proven to ourselves we can be competitive. Our backs are against the wall because no OVC team will get a bid with 4 losses no matter how close or the opponent.

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM
FYI, Sam will probably have two I-A games next year. SMU is on the schedule and the other one is going to be another Texas I-A team which we're sitting on right now. I am not sure if the contract was signed yet.

Our President wants us to play schools here in Texas that are I-A. We had all these alums at the Houston game that may normally not make games. We've made great gains in terms of bringing alums back and taking our Kats team across Texas to play I-A opponents helps...

FightinBluHen51
September 20th, 2005, 07:37 AM
It's called funding the athletic department. One can spin it anyway they want, but the bottom line is, these games are played for money and the notion they are played to prepare teams for conference play is a very small reason at best. Don't get me wrong, Sam Houston against the U of Houston is an attractive local matchup and makes for a somewhat competitive ballgame, but I doubt it would have been scheduled had there not been a reasonably good guarantee. Same thing with us and Tulane.
That's basically correct. No way do you need to make all your OOC games difficult as the perannuaual contenders do need at least one tune up game, one decent ooc, and one tough one as far as I'm concerned.

catbob
September 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM
The Bobcats schedule two losses a year, an IA team and Cal Poly. :mad:

Tailbone
September 20th, 2005, 09:48 AM

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry Bob, but that was funny !!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 20th, 2005, 11:05 AM
FYI, Sam will probably have two I-A games next year. SMU is on the schedule and the other one is going to be another Texas I-A team which we're sitting on right now. I am not sure if the contract was signed yet.

Our President wants us to play schools here in Texas that are I-A. We had all these alums at the Houston game that may normally not make games. We've made great gains in terms of bringing alums back and taking our Kats team across Texas to play I-A opponents helps...

You bring up a great point TT. Besides the obvious payday with I-A's, there is also that alumni aspect especially if you're trying to increase donations and overall support. UNH's game at Rutgers last season attracted a decent crowd in an area that has a 5-6 hour ride to return to campus. Lord knows we need the pay day as well as getting as many alumni actively involved as possible.

Another aspect is scheduling games in key recruiting areas for exposure with prospective players as well as easy access for current player's families. NJ, PA and NY are fertile recruiting grounds that are long rides from UNH. I'm sure you guys need all the Texas exposure you can get because there are so many football schools in the Lone Star State.

And you know what, these suicide schedules sometimes reap huge benefits. Last year I thought UNH would be vastly improved yet might only have a 6-5 or 7-4 record at best because of a suicide schedule. But the team bought into the challenge and had an incredible season. The 3-0 OOC record provided a very strong argument for the tournament committee.

JALMOND
September 20th, 2005, 12:11 PM
This year, Portland State played Oregon State in Corvallis and later plays Boise in Boise. I understand the money, but I just wish we could have played those two in a different year than one that we play conference games at EWU and at Montana. I've heard we had the third toughest schedule in D1-AA this year.

Stang Fever
September 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM

LMAO :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Dallas Demon
September 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Northwestern State has already played two I-A games this year (won one of them). Next year (2006), we also have two I-A games scheduled - a bit tougher as far as the opponents go however. We play both Kansas and Ole Miss - yikes! :eek:

ngineer
September 20th, 2005, 09:14 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D :D $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

txstatebobcat
September 20th, 2005, 09:45 PM
with an easy OOC schedule I truly believe TxSt would have been picked for a playoff spot. However we had one of the toughest road schedules in the nation last year and we ended up with a 5-6 record.

ucdtim17
September 20th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Davis has SJSU scheduled for '06 and '07 and is talking with Stanford about another game one of those years, but after saturday, no one is sure if they'll want us back

Tod
September 20th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Seven D-I wins gets you considered for an at-large bid this year.

Ralph, I almost hate to ask, but is this in direct correlation to the fact that I-A teams can count a I-AA win each year toward bowl eligibility?

TXST_CAT
September 20th, 2005, 11:17 PM
With A&M on our shcedule this year we have a fairly good OOC schedule. Next year we have two DivI-A teams according to rumor. I think those teams will be a better match for us than A&M this year and a third year under Bailiff will improve our chances of winning those games next year as well.