PDA

View Full Version : HC @ UD

Hoo-ah
September 19th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Holy Cross is a much improved team this season but UD at home should be rough for them. UD's defense gave up three td's and 300+ yards to a good D2 last week, and might have problems with HC's running game. This game could be a trap for UD. I see it: 42-28 UD ;)

ChickenMan
September 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Holy Cross is a much improved team this season but UD at home should be rough for them. UD's defense gave up three td's and 300+ yards to a good D2 last week, and might have problems with HC's running game. This game could be a trap for UD. I see it: 42-28 UD ;)

UD won't have a problem with the HC running game... the pass may be a different story. If HC doesn't have success with their passing game they will be in for a very long night.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Holy Cross is a much improved team this season but UD at home should be rough for them. UD's defense game up three td's and 300+ yards to a good D2 last week, and might have problems with HC's running game. This game could be a trap for UD. I see it: 42-28 UD :)

I think you're about right with the score. I think Holy Cross will be able to move the ball to some extent, Silva is decent, but he doesn't do well against the better team, same as O'Neil. I think HC will be in trouble on D, UD has too many athletes for HC to stop. I think HC will hang around for a while and then Delaware will gradually pull away. HC is on stretch of 3 top 20 teams in 4 weeks(Harvard, UD and Lehigh). I say UD 45 HC 24

umassfan
September 19th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Its so obvious that Holly Cross will win this one!

ngineer
September 19th, 2005, 07:43 PM
HC wins this only if UD shoots itself in the foot with turnovers, giving HC a short field. They have a very good ground game, but that's tough going 65-80 yards. UD's speed will also give the Crusaders trouble on defense.
Hens 41-17.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 07:47 PM
UD won't have a problem with the HC running game... the pass may be a different story. If HC doesn't have success with their passing game they will be in for a very long night.
LOL, I was saying that almost verbatim as I read Hoo-ah's post. Rush D is NOT a problem... pass D... we'll see.

FightinBluHen51
September 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Pass D will be a big test (not necessarily because of HC, but because it stinks right now). Definitely need to find some continuity in the secondary!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 19th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I don't think HC will win this game, but in retrospect Gilmore is a genius for scheduling it. He has really brought something to Holy Cross that hasn't been there for years - respect, and a belief in themselves. If they go 2-2 with close losses against Harvard and UD, they will be in great shape when they play Lehigh at Goodman on Oct. 8th. If they (gasp) beat UD in the Tub, they could actually be the team to beat in the Patriot this year.

For HC, it is 100% a no-lose game for them.

The way the rest of the PL has played, they could very well right now be the second-best team in the Patriot behind Lehigh!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 19th, 2005, 10:48 PM
[QUOTE=Lehigh Football Nation]I don't think HC will win this game, but in retrospect Gilmore is a genius for scheduling it.QUOTE]

This game was most likely scheduled before Gilmore arrived.

GannonFan
September 20th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Holy Cross wasn't able to generate a lot of offense against Harvard last week, and that was a team playing their first game of the season. UD already has 2 games under their belt, including a win against a much better offensive team in Lehigh. I wouldn't get all worked up about the points given up to West Chester - 14 of them were in garbage time after the game was no longer in doubt. It's a tough venue to play in, especially with the place sold out and at night. UD's only lost at home twice since KC took over so I don't see that changing against Holy Cross. HC has some offense, but their defense gave up a lot on the ground to Harvard and UD can probably run the ball better than the Crimson. UD will win comfortably, say 42-17.

colgate13
September 20th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Interesting tidbit about UD/HC: last time UD was shut out at home was by HC in 1983. HC also holds a 2-0 advantage over the Hens. It means nothing of course, but it is still fun to know!

FightinBluHen51
September 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Interesting tidbit about UD/HC: last time UD was shut out at home was by HC in 1983. HC also holds a 2-0 advantage over the Hens. It means nothing of course, but it is still fun to know!
Yeah, I had to stop and think and I came to realise that there aren't many programs that can say they have a winning record against UD. The ones of the bat that come to mind that can say they have a 500 or better winning% are

Navy (7-6)
GSU (2-2)

and that's really all that comes to mind right now. (I know there are a few others, I just don't know who they are). Oh, maybe W&M is really close, but I think we are still slightly ahead in the series and Nova is right be hind @ 18-19-1 against us.

bunny
September 20th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I had to stop and think and I came to realise that there aren't many programs that can say they have a winning record against UD. The ones of the bat that come to mind that can say they have a 500 or better winning% are

Navy (7-6)
GSU (2-2)

and that's really all that comes to mind right now. (I know there are a few others, I just don't know who they are). Oh, maybe W&M is really close, but I think we are still slightly ahead in the series and Nova is right be hind @ 18-19-1 against us.

The College Football Data Warehouse (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/delaware/opponents.php) is a great place to go for this kind of info. The Hens are 2-0 against Princeton, but they are only 2-3 versus Randolph-Macon (VA). Who?

justballn21
September 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM

good info colgate13....the in in 1985 was against none other than rich ganon. weird...

SunCoastBlueHen
September 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM
The College Football Data Warehouse (http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/atlantic10/delaware/opponents.php) is a great place to go for this kind of info. The Hens are 2-0 against Princeton, but they are only 2-3 versus Randolph-Macon (VA). Who?

:p That's funny - my little bro played for Randolph-Macon and I didn't know they had a history with UD. They are a D3 school located about 20 miles north of Richmond.

GannonFan
September 20th, 2005, 12:22 PM
good info colgate13....the in in 1985 was against none other than rich ganon. weird...

Nah, Holy Cross was better than UD in the mid 80's - UD was still behind the curve and wouldn't let freshmen play back then (I don't think they allowed redshirting either). It wasn't until later in the decade that UD started to get good again, although having Gannon in the mid 80's helped us over that bump a bit! Case in point, UD made the playoffs in '86, knocked the crap out of W&M in the first round, and then was destroyed, at home, in the quarters by a far superior Arkansas St team - the game wasn't even close. Holy Cross during this time was still pre-Patriot League and was offering scholarships. By the late 80's, though, the sun had set on the Holy Cross dynasty.

henfan
September 20th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Delaware was a "non-scholarship" football program when they last met Holy Cross. Much like our Patriot League friends do today, Tubby & Co. barely managed to hold the program together with Ace bandages and Pell Grants. ;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
By the late 80's, though, the sun had set on the Holy Cross dynasty.

Actually the sun set on Holy Cross following the 1991 season. I believe they finished number #3 in 1-AA after an 11-0 season that season. The PL had two top 15 teams i believe that year in Lehigh and Holy Cross. It was amazing to see the dropoff that HC had following the '91 season. They immediately regressed in 1992.

foghorn
September 20th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Delaware was a "non-scholarship" football program when they last met Holy Cross. Much like our Patriot League friends do today, Tubby & Co. barely managed to hold the program together with Ace bandages and Pell Grants. ;)

And let's not forget, Tubby was restricted to UD's Morris Library in his recruiting area, much as Lehigh, Bucknell, et al, are restricted to their respective studying environs today. :D

blukeys
September 20th, 2005, 06:16 PM
And let's not forget, Tubby was restricted to UD's Morris Library in his recruiting area, much as Lehigh, Bucknell, et al, are restricted to their respective studying environs today. :D

Yes big bad Scholarship Holy Cross against Kind hearted, scholarly NON-Scholarship Delaware. :rolleyes: Why wasn't this in the News Journal at the time? Because, they didn't have the Morning Call's sportswriters. ;) ;) ;)

Foghorn left out that the UD football players all spent their summers at the Delaware beaches working their summer vacations to earn their tuition money. Not to mention their slaving away at the GM Boxwood plant or the Chrysler plant in Newark after practice. Some wanted to transfer to Lehigh because the coal mining jobs that the Lehigh players had payed better and were less hours but their loyalty to Delaware won out. Thank God Rich Gannon had a brother that went to UD or we would have NEVER made it out of the 80's.