PDA

View Full Version : UNH and Albany WILL Play

UNHWildCats
January 20th, 2008, 03:53 PM
September 20 in Durham

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH+football+gears+for+2008&articleId=1241f1a5-6764-41fd-9d6b-f25380b0927f

11 game schedule

FCS Preview
January 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Good news for both teams. UNH gets a game it wanted; Albany continues it's recent tradition of playing good, scholarship teams.

WrenFGun
January 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Good to hear!

So Sept 6th @ Army, Sept 20th against Albany and Sept 27th @ Dartmouth?

Anyone have the full sched?

UNHWildCats
January 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Sep 6 at Army
Sep 13 at Rhode Island
Sep 20 Albany
Sep 27 at Dartmouth
Oct 4 Bye
Oct 11 William & Mary
Oct 18 at Northeastern
Oct 25 Towson
Nov 1 Hofstra
Nov 8 at Villanova
Nov 15 Massachusetts
Nov 22 at Maine

WildCat In The Hat
January 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I Like this years September much better than last years

UNH 40
January 20th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I love our schedule this season....I'll say 8-3.

UNHWildCats
January 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Ya 8-3 is likely... Though the games I would find most likely to lose are UMass (don't count us out of it), William & Mary (just cause we always struggle with them) and Army (I would mark it as a W right now if Santos the FBS Slayer were still with us, though I wont say we dont have a chance in the game)

If Toman is the Showman, 11-0 certainly ain't out of reach, but with the crazy CAA every game is winnable and loseable.

Eight Legger
January 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Final score: UNH 42, Albany 6

WrenFGun
January 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
The September is EASIER, but certainly not EASY.

Army will be favored in their game against us, but let's be honest, UNH has a very real chance of winning that game if Toman performs up to the level he has indicated to this point. He has a tremendous amount of offensive talent that is proven and reliable that he needs to rely on for that game. Army will, of course, be jakked up because it may be their first game of the season, but UNH needs to focus on the task at hand there.

The game at Rhode Island will surely be no cakewalk, either. CAA Roadgames are a nightmare, and while I am excited about the opportunity to play Rhodey in good weather and with a new coach in one of his first games at the helm, this will be a tough fought, tight game, I suspect.

The Albany game, while the home opener, will be tough as well. That's a quality team. I'm not sure the game @ Dartmouth will be cake, either.

Ideally, we'd want to make it out of this stretch of games at 3-1 or better, and we're favored in 3 of the 4 games, in all likelihood, so that bodes well. A win over Army would give us a chance to go 4-0, but you'd be happy with 3-1.

After the bye, UNH has 4 winnable games in a row, and they may likely be favored in all of them. William & Mary has owned us in the past, but we should be able to beat them at home. Same goes with Hofstra and Towson, though a healthy Schaeffer would scare me. Northeastern is always a problem, but again, I think we'll probably be favored for that one, too. We could go 4-0 again, here, but I'd expect a loss and a 3-1 record.

That would be 6-2 (4-1) heading into the final three games of the season, @ 'Nova, UMass and @ Maine. If Maine plays well ending the season, UNH could technically be the underdog in all three of these matchups. We really need to focus on having the best record possible (8-0, 7-1 would be ideal) because these games will be very tough, and will really determine if we'll be seeded (admittedly unlikely), make the playoffs or miss out entirely.

It's a competitive schedule with winnable games throughout, but not cakewalks...you have to be pleased with that.

WIU02
January 20th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I like how you put WILL in all caps. It makes it look like you have a real team to cheer for during the winter. Skanks.

WrenFGun
January 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Boy, I'm not sure how I would survive my morning without a quality post like that. Thanks for really adding to the thread, WIU.

CRAZY_DANE
January 21st, 2008, 07:33 AM
Final score: UNH 42, Albany 6

A little arrogant, don't you think?

Albany played Montana and other premium FCS schools tough last year. A little humility would serve you well. How do you like it when Richmond is written off when they play a FBS school? Karma, look into it!

yorkcountyUNHfan
January 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
I Like this years September much better than last years

That's for sure.xthumbsupx

UAalum72
January 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM
A little arrogant, don't you think?

Albany played Montana and other premium FCS schools tough last year. A little humility would serve you well. How do you like it when Richmond is written off when they play a FBS school? Karma, look into it!
Eight-legger only joined in November; he uses the same avatar that Booger started out with. Coincidence?

CRAZY_DANE
January 21st, 2008, 08:58 AM
Keep in mind the tag line of this site "Any Given Saturday".

Few people know much about UAlbany. We will have 30% more scholarship money amongst our players than last year, and we had a respectable showing last year. There is also high hopes that Gov Spitzer will deliver on a new stadium this year. UAlbany may be full scholly and in a new stadium by 2010.

Shhh! that's just between us. Never write off a team... AGS!

Eight Legger
January 21st, 2008, 09:06 AM
Relax...I just made that prediction to see how long it would take for you guys to come out of the woodwork screaming and yelling. Not too long, apparently! I'm just sticking up for our league. More power to you guys if you win the game.

Dane96
January 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
It is not your league if you are from Ohio, like you once were, and are formerly Dayton Flyer Football Fan who morphed to Boogs, who morphed to Eight Legger.

Clearly, you feel the members of the board are idiots.

Besides the fact that you may be the most annoying poster on the board, I actually concur with your score, except Albany will score more than 6. Albany has to replace nearly an entire defense...so i would not be surprised to see UNH drop 40 on us.

UNH 42-Albany 20

DetroitFlyer
January 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
If UNH is not a big time passing team next year, I think Albany just might have a shot. Albany has a great running back, and I think they will still have a massive O-Line. If this ends up being a grind it out type of game, UNH could be very disappointed in how the season starts.

Eight Legger
January 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
It is not your league if you are from Ohio, like you once were, and are formerly Dayton Flyer Football Fan who morphed to Boogs, who morphed to Eight Legger.

Clearly, you feel the members of the board are idiots.

Besides the fact that you may be the most annoying poster on the board, I actually concur with your score, except Albany will score more than 6. Albany has to replace nearly an entire defense...so i would not be surprised to see UNH drop 40 on us.

UNH 42-Albany 20

I have no idea who or what you are talking about. I'm a UR grad and fan and always have been. If that Dayton guy wants to come talk smack to me, I'll be glad to tell him how we'd beat them by 50 if they ever wanted to come and play us too.

GannonFan
January 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
If UNH is not a big time passing team next year, I think Albany just might have a shot. Albany has a great running back, and I think they will still have a massive O-Line. If this ends up being a grind it out type of game, UNH could be very disappointed in how the season starts.

I would suppose, given that UNH's coach is still there, that they will run the offense they've always run, and they should pass quite a fair bit.

UNHWildCats
January 21st, 2008, 11:06 AM
I will reserve making a prediction on the game until after the URI game.

UNH will still pass the ball. Scott Sicko will be a huge part of the game and some of the young WR showed real promise this past year.

A 42-7 score of course could be possible, but a 42-41 score could be aswell.

I was gonna reply to that WIU person, but noticed he was banned so it would be pointless. But just incase anyone else wants to know... I put WILL because of the talk recently that the game was off.

Dane96
January 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
For complete clarification, from what I have been told, Albany decided it did not want a 12 game season because we have an additional NEC game with Duquense coming into the fold.

So, Albany went to its America East partner UNH and asked if they would look for a replacement for Albany. Albany stated that if a SUITABLE (read not **** team) opponent could not be found, Albany would honor the game.

UNH, because Albany is its AE brethren, did go look for a replacement, however the options were slim and a few were on the road. UNH went back to Albany and stated there were no suitable games...but gave UA the choice to play or not play.

Albany chose to honor the contract, not unexpected considering the character of both Coach Ford and AD McElroy.

UNH did the right thing (looking for an opponent) and Albany did the right thing (honoring a contract they could have broke).

I did find it distasteful that it was assumed that Albany backed out of the game in disrespectful or scared manner, as was the case on this board. The schedules since we have become FCS show otherwise. In fact, this schedule is, in a sense, one of the toughest in the country; Albany plays an NEC schedule...and a PSEUDO CAA schedule (four games).

Seawolf97
January 21st, 2008, 09:09 PM
I think Albany will play them tough as they always do. UNH will know they are in a game that day-glad to see the game is on!

WrenFGun
January 21st, 2008, 09:14 PM
Despite what one fan has said, I expect a close, hard fought game.

Ruler 79
January 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
I think it is time for Albany join the CAA already. We will be armed with 30 rides and face teams with 63. Delaware, UNH, and Hofstra??? And throw Fordham in for *****s and giggles. I know the program is headed to the full scholarship level by 2010 but maybe we should wait until 2010 to play this death schedule.

Unless an AQ is awarded in the NEC UA will be playing in the Grid Iron Classic or at least competing to play in it, although I think they will be favored again this season(OK Pioneer guys its open season on NEC teams)

danefan
January 22nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
I think we will have a better idea of what is going to happen once the NEC autobid vote happens.

This schedule is clearly an attempt to market ourselves for (1) at-large consideration and (2) affiliation with the CAA or a CAA-type conference.

Why else would you play this schedule?

I predict a 10 point game, with depth giving UNH the edge in the 4th quarter.

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Ruler and Danefan...I expect you to head up I-95 and I-84 for the UMASS and UNH games.

I am giddy that they are so close to home!

More I think about it...the more it depends on our D. If our D is rebuilt quickly, I can see us within 10 to UNH. Facing UMASS to open the season...with Coen still at the helm...not going to be purrrrrty.

WrenFGun
January 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
As a UNH fan, I've become to respect Albany's program in basketball, and I look forward to establishing a football rivalry, as well, whether America East, CAA, OOC or otherwise. UNH has shocked Albany quite a bit in basketball of late, so I'm hoping they don't return the favor.

I think UNH will rely more on the run with the young QB, but I'd still expect a fair share of throws down the field for balance, which seems like it might be a problem for Albany. I respect the way both programs went about handling this game, and hopefully Albany can knock off some of those other CAA teams (though hopefully not UNH!).

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
As a UNH fan, I've become to respect Albany's program in basketball, and I look forward to establishing a football rivalry, as well, whether America East, CAA, OOC or otherwise. UNH has shocked Albany quite a bit in basketball of late, so I'm hoping they don't return the favor.

I think UNH will rely more on the run with the young QB, but I'd still expect a fair share of throws down the field for balance, which seems like it might be a problem for Albany. I respect the way both programs went about handling this game, and hopefully Albany can knock off some of those other CAA teams (though hopefully not UNH!).
I'd love to see them go 3-1 in the games just losing in Durham :p

Are all four CAA games on the road for you guys?

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Yah-- we are at UMASS to open...at Hofstra (return game)....at UNH...at Delaware (Sept. 27).

We get Fordham at home. Plus...we have four or five road games in conference-- YIKES.

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM

WE, over the years, have matched up VERY poorly against UNH. Herrion has done a good job turning it around. The AE is all about matchups. When I looked at the early playoff positioning, I was quite UNHAPPY to see we would play UNH in Round 1-- Not a good one for the Danes.

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Yah-- we are at UMASS to open...at Hofstra (return game)....at UNH...at Delaware (Sept. 27).

We get Fordham at home. Plus...we have four or five road games in conference-- YIKES.
Theres 8 NEC teams right? So 7 opponents... wouldnt you have 3 or 4 road games in conference?

Dane96
January 22nd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I meant 3 or 4...doh...forgot Stony Brook. We will have either 3 or 4 away games depending on if they re-balance the schedule with Duquense's entry.