PDA

View Full Version : Private School I-AA Top 10

Thumper250
September 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM
From the sports network's top 25 poll and others receiving votes, I listed the top 10 private schools from that collection. Not a bad list. I didn't know that Furman was the only private to ever with the I-AA national title either. It's a tough road to be sure. Hard to get walk ons of quality for depth with tuition is 20-30K or more.

1. Furman Paladins
2. Hampton Pirates
3. Lehigh Mountain Hawks
4. Harvard Crimson
5. Hofstra Pride
6. Wofford Terriers
7. Penn Quakers
8. Villanova Wildcats
9. Gardner-Webb Bulldogs
10. Lafayette Leopards

I know G-W will play three of the 10 on this list this year and all three (Furman, Hampton and Wofford) have been exceptional on the field the past several years.

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Uhhh...you forgot Delaware.

dbackjon
September 19th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Uhhh...you forgot Delaware.

:D Too funny....

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2005, 02:23 PM
:D Too funny....

Nothing funny about it. UD is technically a state-assisted, privately controlled school. Look them up in Princeton Review and you'll find them listed as private.

W&M, Va Tech and UVA are moving towards similar status.

DTSpider
September 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM
A very interesting status. However, for the purposes of this exercise in comparing schools with limited walk-on ability, I think that that UD should be excluded.

dbackjon
September 19th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Nothing funny about it. UD is technically a state-assisted, privately controlled school. Look them up in Princeton Review and you'll find them listed as private.

Do in-state students pay less than out-of-state students?

youwouldno
September 19th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Please.

GannonFan
September 19th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Do in-state students pay less than out-of-state students?

At UD, yes, but that's because of an agreement between the University and the state to do this - Tribe4SF was right, technically UD is not a public school, but probably not as private as some of the others on the list. Definitely in a gray area in between.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Look at admissions (at least at W&M and UVA), they are very hard to get in to. My nephew is looking at UVA but doesn't think he'll get in. He's a 4.0 student and plays varsity baseball and golf. :eek:

Engineer91
September 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Where does SUNY Ithaca ... errr Cornell ... fall in this? :D

henfan
September 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I-AA Quasi-Public Top 10:
#1- Delaware
#2- ? :confused:

UD considers itself a public institution- especially every Spring, when it solicits the State Finance Committee for public bond money. However, when it comes time to open its books to the general public, UD is strictly private. The school is indeed exempt from the State FOI Act. Pretty sweet set up for "The School That Runs the State".

Isn't UVa also quasi-public?

ngineer
September 19th, 2005, 04:04 PM
There are also different admissions requirements for both UD and W&M depending on whether you live in-state. So, while both schools may have some 'private' semblance about them, they are more 'state universities' in the generic sense--similar to Temple and Pitt which are 'state assisted' in PA.

FlyBoy8
September 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM
There are also different admissions requirements for both UD and W&M depending on whether you live in-state.

That's true, but UD is gradually raising it's entrance requirements across the board. This latest freshmen class has been billed as the both the largest and the smartest in Delaware history.

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM
That's true, but UD is gradually raising it's entrance requirements across the board. This latest freshmen class has been billed as the both the largest and the smartest in Delaware history.

I will be the first to admit that recent and current FU students have added significant value to my diploma :) But that is how is should be :D

Thumper250
September 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Can we get back to football? :)

One area that privates do have a slight edge over public schools in-state is in out of state recruiting. I know at G-W, for example, as at most privates ... the tuition is the

Thumper250
September 19th, 2005, 04:38 PM

One area that privates do have a slight edge over public schools in-state is in out of state recruiting. I know at G-W, for example, as at most privates ... the tuition is the same whether they're from NC or SC or GA. Probably one reason that Gardner-Webb has nearly twice as many players from the Peach State on their roster as players from North Carolina.

If WCU or App wants a kid from GA or SC or FLA, it's my understanding that they have to basically spend 1.5 or 2.0 scholarships due to the difference in out of state tuition. For G-W or an Elon, it's 1.0 instate and 1.0 out of state. Make sense?

The state schools do usually catch back up by having a less expensive option for the first year for a potential non qualifier or grey shirt who wants to pay their way for a year.

Tribe4SF
September 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM
You won't find any non-qualifiers at W&M or UD. W&M, by the way, is still a state school, as are UVA and Va Tech.

The walk-on issue is really acute at a school like Richmond. At $40K+, they cannot attract many walk-ons. They end up with 70-80 on their roster, while W&M, JMU and others have 100+. The Tribe actually had to make cuts this year.

Marcus Garvey
September 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM

That's par for almost all colleges. The number of high school graduates is increasing every year, but the number of college freshman "vacancies" is not keeping pace. i.e., there are more applicants for the same number of spots at schools nation-wide.

DTSpider
September 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Very true about walkons. Back in 2000 Richmond actually had advertisements on campus to get students our for practice. There weren't enough people to play in the seconday as the scout team. I had a couple of friends who had never played football before who did this. They had a great time. This was also back when Richmond was good, so even more interesting.

Richmond this year actually has like 7 or 8 walk-ons apparently. I think that 3 or 4 are kickers though. It's a huge difference in terms of depth. Richmond cannot afford to suffer many injuries. Look back at the 2001 team. The first team was probably the most talented in the A10 but there was no depth.

Hansel
September 19th, 2005, 07:03 PM
You won't find any non-qualifiers at W&M or UD. W&M, by the way, is still a state school, as are UVA and Va Tech.

The walk-on issue is really acute at a school like Richmond. At $40K+, they cannot attract many walk-ons. They end up with 70-80 on their roster, while W&M, JMU and others have 100+. The Tribe actually had to make cuts this year.
I thought IAA rosters were limited to 85 players ???

WUTNDITWAA
September 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM

If WCU or App wants a kid from GA or SC or FLA, it's my understanding that they have to basically spend 1.5 or 2.0 scholarships due to the difference in out of state tuition. For G-W or an Elon, it's 1.0 instate and 1.0 out of state. Make sense?

It's my understanding that the NC Legislature is about to change this. xprost2x

SoCon48
September 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Look at admissions (at least at W&M and UVA), they are very hard to get in to. My nephew is looking at UVA but doesn't think he'll get in. He's a 4.0 student and plays varsity baseball and golf. :eek:

Hell, if U Va took Donte Minter, they sure should take your nephew.

JaxSinfonian
September 19th, 2005, 11:49 PM
So what percentage of UD's revenue does the State of Delaware provide these days?

Declining state support is an issue for "public" schools everywhere. JSU got 54 percent of its revenue from the state 20 years ago. It now gets 33 percent. When do we get to start calling ourselves private? (and can you do that with "state" in your name?)

Tribe4SF
September 20th, 2005, 06:40 AM
I thought IAA rosters were limited to 85 players ???

The only limit I'm aware of is 90 for preseason practice. Tribe roster swells the day school opens. Lots of I-AAs with over 90 on their rosters.

henfan
September 20th, 2005, 07:59 AM
So what percentage of UD's revenue does the State of Delaware provide these days?

17.1% for 2004. Not sure yet what percentage of the total Operating Budget was granted for 2005. Probably something just short of 20%. UD is clearly still very dependent upon Delaware citizens for support.

NJLincolnLion
September 20th, 2005, 08:36 AM
There are also different admissions requirements for both UD and W&M depending on whether you live in-state. So, while both schools may have some 'private' semblance about them, they are more 'state universities' in the generic sense--similar to Temple and Pitt which are 'state assisted' in PA.

ngineer:

Temple , Pitt, Penn State, and my alma mater Lincoln University are the only state related universities in Pennsylvania. The schools lobby and receive funds from the state, however each university has it's own Board of Trustees.

NJLincolnLion
September 20th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Declining state support is an issue for "public" schools everywhere. JSU got 54 percent of its revenue from the state 20 years ago. It now gets 33 percent. When do we get to start calling ourselves private? (and can you do that with "state" in your name?)

JaxSinfornian:

Penn State University is a state related school and has it's own Board of Trustees.

JaxSinfonian
September 20th, 2005, 09:32 AM
17.1% for 2004. Not sure yet what percentage of the total Operating Budget was granted for 2005. Probably something just short of 20%. UD is clearly still very dependent upon Delaware citizens for support.
Wow. Dependent though UD may be, 17.1 percent is a whole lot less than 33 percent. JSU's administrators have taken to calling the school "state assisted," though it's still clearly a public institution. I'll wait at least until we get down to Delaware's level before I start tossing around the term "quasi-public," much less "private."

Penn State University is a state related school and has it's own Board of Trustees.
Well, Jacksonville State does too, as does every public university in Alabama that's not part of the University of Alabama system (UAB, UAH, and of course UAT). Trustees, however, are nominated by the governor and confirmed by the Legislature. The real deciding line on whether a school is public or private is where the money comes from.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 20th, 2005, 10:26 AM
I'll can't relocate the article where I just saw the percentage of UNH's operating budget from state support at 15% (IIRC). I've heard that out-of-state enrollment is approaching 50% even though the out-of-state tuition is one of the highest in the country. Usually UNH fights it out with the University of Vermont (UVM) for the highest out-of-state tuition. I don't recall the specific category, but there is one where New Hampshire fights it out with Alabama for 50th place (last) in state support for education. So JaxSin, take solace that you're getting over 30% from your state!

UNH is on its way to becoming a quasi-public like Delaware unless the state increases support. Not surprisingly, the recent "State of UNH" speech by Prez Hart called upon the State of NH to increase support.

NJLincolnLion
September 20th, 2005, 10:48 AM
JaxSinfornian:

The state of Pennsylvania higer education system operates differently than the state of Alabama. Pennsylvania state universities and colleges are solely reliant on financial support from Harrisburg. State related (four schools) rely on the state for some funding. Attached is from "Penn State's Mission and Public Character" overview from web site.

Although the University is privately chartered by the Commonwealth, it was from the outset considered an “instrumentality of the state,” that is, it carries out many of the functions of a public institution and promotes the general welfare of the citizenry. The Governor and other representatives of the Commonwealth have held seats on Penn State’s Board of Trustees since the University’s founding, and the legislature has made regular appropriations in support of the University’s mission since 1887. Today Penn State is one of four “state-related” universities (along with the University of Pittsburgh, Temple University, and Lincoln University), institutions that are not state-owned and -operated but that have the character of public universities and receive substantial state appropriations.

Catsfan
September 20th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Beyond the obvious budget percentage, the real question is: are the employees of the university State employees? (e.g., pensions, health care, etc.) If they are State employees, no question it's a State university.

NJLincolnLion
September 20th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Catsfan:

At Lincoln the employees are not state workers. I don't know the status of the other schools.

ColgatePA
September 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Penn State workers are not state workers.

windwalker
September 20th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Has had meetings and conferences about going private...

What I have always wondered is simply what are the pro's and cons of being private vs. state????

Any thoughts???

ngineer
September 20th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Actually, I thought the name was being changed to University of DuPont? :D

GannonFan
September 21st, 2005, 09:29 AM
Actually, I thought the name was being changed to University of DuPont? :D

Nah, that would be insulting to the Gores and Carpenters who also give boatloads of money to the University. It's just tough having all these wealthy benefactors! :p

RadMann
September 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM
GannonFan: True, although if you think about it they are both DuPont-related also. The Carpenters are DuPont money (a Carpenter married a wealthy DuPont sometime in the past) and Gore invented his Goretex while he was a DuPont employee (as I understand it). lol

henfan
September 21st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Actually, I thought the name was being changed to University of DuPont?

Heck, it never changed from that. ;)

In all seriousness, The Family's stranglehold over UD and Delaware has waned in the last two decades. UD's not so much the Company University as it used to be. Better Education Through Economic Autonomy.