PDA

View Full Version : What do transfers expect?

LBPop
January 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
The thread about the Wake Forest QB heading to CCU got me thinking. Amazing, huh? When kids transfer from FBS to FCS (boy, I sure miss saying I-A to I-AA), do they expect to be a superstar right away? Of course it depends on the kid, but I have to believe that after spending a year or two being told by FBS coaches how great they are, it's tough for them to have their ego in check when they move to FCS. I only have direct experience with one such young man and I saw none of that.

I would be interested in what other schools have experienced.

andy7171
January 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
In my experience, transfers either come in humble or they come in cocky. In the end it all gets settled on the field in the Spring.

89Hen
January 17th, 2008, 01:07 PM
When kids transfer from FBS to FCS (boy, I sure miss saying I-A to I-AA), do they expect to be a superstar right away? Of course it depends on the kid, but I have to believe that after spending a year or two being told by FBS coaches how great they are, it's tough for them to have their ego in check when they move to FCS. I only have direct experience with one such young man and I saw none of that.

From what I've seen, they expect to start, but not necessarily be a superstar. If they did, I would hope the new coach would bring them back to Earth quickly. The problem is that the fans sometimes feed that notion to the kid. I remember when Keith Burnell (RB) transferred to UD from VT and there was a LOT of hype surrounding him from the fans and he was a decent back, but never lived up to expectations. It wasn't his fault that the Hen fans expected so much though. xpeacex

OL FU
January 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Of course it depends on the kid, but I have to believe that after spending a year or two being told by FBS coaches how great they are, it's tough for them to have their ego in check when they move to FCS.

I doubt most of them have been told for two years how great they are by an FBS coach. Because most transfer to avoid sitting on the bench.

Cocky
January 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM
A better education.

LBPop
January 17th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I doubt most of them have been told for two years how great they are by an FBS coach. Because most transfer to avoid sitting on the bench.

Yeah, I knew I should have clarified that statement. I envision that these guys were heavily recruited in high school by a bunch of coaches. Then when they found themselves on the bench in college, they decided that the coach was a dummy and they needed to go elsewhere and play right away. Of course, this is just what I am guessing...very little actual first hand knowledge.

danefan
January 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I actually lived this first-hand. I transferred from an FBS to UAlbany. I didn't really know what to expect, but after watching my first spring practice I knew it wasn't going to be any easier to play. And it wasn't. Took me two years to get any solid playing time.

Then again, maybe I just sucked.

PapaBear
January 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I think in most cases, all they expect is a fresh start ... an opportunity to compete.

Often when a kid transfers, it's because he's been told his window of opportunity has closed and he has no chance of earning a starting position or substantial playing time. Essentially, he didn't pass the audition. He got his shot, it didn't work out, he's welcome to stay on the roster as a backup, but as far as getting onto the field -- "Well, son, we'll honor your scholarship but we're going to go in a different direction."

Some kids accept that. Others feel they can still contribute, and so they head out in search of a new shot.

CSUBUCDAD
January 17th, 2008, 02:26 PM
With the number of players increasing every year that opt to attend FCS schools and get immediate playing time as opposed to an FBS school and redshirting, then sitting a year or so before getting any playing time, I think they will start to come in much more humble than in the past. Knowing a couple of guys you will be playing with in FCS had offers from the same school you transfered from and have 2 years of playing time under their belts will have that effect.

813Jag
January 17th, 2008, 03:03 PM
In my experience, transfers either come in humble or they come in cocky. In the end it all gets settled on the field in the Spring.
I agree, the one's that come in cocky usually get humbled very quickly. The best transfers at Southern have been the ones that come in, work hard and earn their keep. We had a few transfers last year that fit in very well and made great contributions.

Franks Tanks
January 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I transferred from Army to Lafayette, and when I came in I expected to challenge for playing time right away, not necassarily play right away of course. The talent level at Army vs. that of the Patriot League really wasnt a huge difference anyway, it was just that Army maintained a 160 man roster so a lot more bodies to compete with.

GannonFan
January 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Depends on who they are - not all transfers are created equally. When UD got Shawn Johnson, the kid was first team all-ACC and led that conference in sacks the year before he came. I don't think it was a leap of faith to realize he was going to be really dominate at this level. With that being said, he was an exception. Most transfers are looking for another chance to have to play, and that means fighting for a position. Remember, transfers aren't evil people who are the deathknell of college football - they're young guys maybe a couple years out of high school looking for a chance to play.

OL FU
January 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I knew I should have clarified that statement. I envision that these guys were heavily recruited in high school by a bunch of coaches. Then when they found themselves on the bench in college, they decided that the coach was a dummy and they needed to go elsewhere and play right away. Of course, this is just what I am guessing...very little actual first hand knowledge.

Sorry I am the king of stating the obvious. I think it varies. But I would imagine more playing time is the key. Furman's star transfer Martin knew that sitting on the bench was not going to get him noticed by the pros and while he would not get the attention at Furman that he would received as a starter at Florida, he did get more attention playing at Furman than warming the bench as a Gator. He got his shot by being drafted. Hasn't worked out so far but that shot probably would not have occurred on the bench in Gatorland.

Col Hogan
January 17th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Depends on who they are - not all transfers are created equally. When UD got Shawn Johnson, the kid was first team all-ACC and led that conference in sacks the year before he came. I don't think it was a leap of faith to realize he was going to be really dominate at this level. With that being said, he was an exception. Most transfers are looking for another chance to have to play, and that means fighting for a position. Remember, transfers aren't evil people who are the deathknell of college football - they're young guys maybe a couple years out of high school looking for a chance to play.

Great points...and so a question for the floor...

Why do schools that get a # of transfers take grief for it???

As has been pointed out, not all transfers are difference makers...not all transfers come in and even start...

I know why the media like ESPN plays up that angle...because they believe FBS is the top level and see, this team has x number of top level athletes...

But I've seen people on this board slam fellow FCS schools for the number of transfers they have...

My daughter was a transfer as was a number of people in her chemistry department...should we slam William and Mary for "stacking" their chemistry department with transfers???

To answer the question posed by this thread, transfers expect a fair shot...if they have the talent, they play...

citdog
January 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM
SMACK

OL FU
January 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM

As has been pointed out, not all transfers are difference makers...not all transfers come in and even start...

I know why the media like ESPN plays up that angle...because they believe FBS is the top level and see, this team has x number of top level athletes...

But I've seen people on this board slam fellow FCS schools for the number of transfers they have...

My daughter was a transfer as was a number of people in her chemistry department...should we slam William and Mary for "stacking" their chemistry department with transfers???

To answer the question posed by this thread, transfers expect a fair shot...if they have the talent, they play...

I believe I can answer the question. First alot of schools such as Chattanooga have tried to build a program with transfers and it has not worked. The other side is that only certain schools seems to get the high profile transfer and that causes more than a little jealousy. xnodx

Personally, I have no problem with transfers but I really would prefer that all transfers be created equal. Either sit out a year or don't no matter if you transfer to a different division or not. I may be wrong but it would put recruiting and coaching players for four years on a higher priority than going out and snagging a transfer every two years.xtwocentsx Or at least if the transfer came to your school you would know he came because he wanted to, not simply because he could avoid sitting out a year.

DetroitFlyer
January 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
In the PFL, what I see happen many times is an FBS kid who is not happy, will transfer to a PFL school because he was originally heavily recuited by that school, the school is typically closer to home for the kid, and of course he expects to have a much better shot of actually playing. Virtually every time, the kid is a great student so academic aid can replace part of the scholarship. Still, these kids either have well to do families or they incur debt. As for "atitude'", I have not heard of any problems....

813Jag
January 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I believe I can answer the question. First alot of schools such as Chattanooga have tried to build a program with transfers and it has not worked. The other side is that only certain schools seems to get the high profile transfer and that causes more than a little jealousy. xnodx

Personally, I have no problem with transfers but I really would prefer that all transfers be created equal. Either sit out a year or don't no matter if you transfer to a different division or not. I may be wrong but it would put recruiting and coaching players for four years on a higher priority than going out and snagging a transfer every two years.xtwocentsx Or at least if the transfer came to your school you would know he came because he wanted to, not simply because he could avoid sitting out a year.

I think some people like to view their team as one they've built thru bringing in recruits. They view transfers as quick fixes, kind of like Juco Players. That's not necessarily true, Southern got transfers from LSU (mostly) who were players that they recruited but signed at LSU. For whatever reason (lack of P.T., off-field issues, general unhappiness) they leave. I dont' mind transfers I just don't believe in building your whole team around them.

phillyAPP
January 17th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I agree, the one's that come in cocky usually get humbled very quickly. The best transfers at Southern have been the ones that come in, work hard and earn their keep. We had a few transfers last year that fit in very well and made great contributions.

TO,...TO,TO,TO.....TO..TO TO TOOOOO

HE DOES LOVE HIS QB !!! LMAO

ERASU2113
January 17th, 2008, 06:55 PM
The thread about the Wake Forest QB heading to CCU got me thinking. Amazing, huh? When kids transfer from FBS to FCS (boy, I sure miss saying I-A to I-AA), do they expect to be a superstar right away? Of course it depends on the kid, but I have to believe that after spending a year or two being told by FBS coaches how great they are, it's tough for them to have their ego in check when they move to FCS. I only have direct experience with one such young man and I saw none of that.

Tim Washington transfered from LSU to ASU last year. Took him awhile to get used to the practice routine at ASU. He told me when I interviewed him before the season began it wasm ore up-tempo and he had to get into better shape to get used to it.

Don't want to say he came in thinking he could start right away, he's a real humble guy. However, it was eye-opening.

Cobblestone
January 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I agree with Andy. I only played with one transfer (that I recall) and he came in pretty cocky.

Personally I don't think transfers have anything to be cocky about. If they're so great why are they transferring? Over the years I have found most transfers to be overrated, which is why I don't get too excited over them. We've had a few who worked out nicely (James Jenkins who transferred from Clemson comes to mind) and some who you could see why they were told to screw by their FBS team.

GannonFan
January 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM

The only issue I see with instituting a mandatory year to sit out regardless of where you transfer from and to (such as FBS to FCS) is that you may be unfairly punishing kids who are transferring for reasons out of their control. With so many scholarships available at the FBS level, it's not uncommon for a player to be outrecruited when a younger player is brought in who can beat out the upperclassmen.

In addition, and even more damning, is that the coaching turnover is so rampant at the FBS level and often a kid gets recruited by one coaching staff only to see another one come in and his importance to the new staff isn't very high. Look at that Mallet kid from Michigan who went there to play for Lloyd Carr's traditional offense but found himself on the outside looking in with Rodriguez's spread offense. Should he have been punished just because money and wins dominate at the FBS level? At least with FCS, there's an option where players can go and not lose out on 20% of their college playing careers.

Again, there are so few NCAA regs that benefit the student athlete should we really be looking for ways to eliminate those?

OL FU
January 18th, 2008, 06:02 AM
The only issue I see with instituting a mandatory year to sit out regardless of where you transfer from and to (such as FBS to FCS) is that you may be unfairly punishing kids who are transferring for reasons out of their control. With so many scholarships available at the FBS level, it's not uncommon for a player to be outrecruited when a younger player is brought in who can beat out the upperclassmen.

In addition, and even more damning, is that the coaching turnover is so rampant at the FBS level and often a kid gets recruited by one coaching staff only to see another one come in and his importance to the new staff isn't very high. Look at that Mallet kid from Michigan who went there to play for Lloyd Carr's traditional offense but found himself on the outside looking in with Rodriguez's spread offense. Should he have been punished just because money and wins dominate at the FBS level? At least with FCS, there's an option where players can go and not lose out on 20% of their college playing careers.

Again, there are so few NCAA regs that benefit the student athlete should we really be looking for ways to eliminate those?

Yes but aren't we division Ixeyebrowx xrotatehx Why are we treated differently.

A Joke.

I have mixed emotions because I don't want to harm the players. But I really think it should be the same. Create a set of reasons that don't require the year wait but let them transfer to wherever.

andy7171
January 18th, 2008, 07:39 AM

GD'ed William and Mary Chemistry! xmadx Raping the other fine Chemistry Departments of the Nation! It's all about the name and prestige.

Makes me wanna wretch!

:p

Eyes of Old Main
January 18th, 2008, 08:30 AM
GD'ed William and Mary Chemistry! xmadx Raping the other fine Chemistry Departments of the Nation! It's all about the name and prestige.

Makes me wanna wretch!

LOL! xlolx

D1scout
January 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I think in most cases, all they expect is a fresh start ... an opportunity to compete.

Often when a kid transfers, it's because he's been told his window of opportunity has closed and he has no chance of earning a starting position or substantial playing time. Essentially, he didn't pass the audition. He got his shot, it didn't work out, he's welcome to stay on the roster as a backup, but as far as getting onto the field -- "Well, son, we'll honor your scholarship but we're going to go in a different direction."

Some kids accept that. Others feel they can still contribute, and so they head out in search of a new shot.

This has been my view on this subject and it happens for a variety of reasons. Quite often due to the player being injured and the opportunity for a position coach to substitute a younger player who he would have more development time with. This happens, more so in today's world of FBS coaching, then there is a coaching change. A new system is brought in that current players don't fit as well as the new recruits secured by the new coach. And, finally, I think that with a coaching change most new coaches figure they have a window of tolance to operate in before turning the program around. They, therefore, often go with younger players thereby giving them valuable on field experience for the future and just accept their contest losts on the field and with the transfers. The pressure to win and the big money it can bring excludes most coaches loyality to the players on the team expecially if they didn't recruit them or they aren't what fits their system of play. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but that's the way it seems to be sadly.

Eyes of Old Main
January 18th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I don't have a problem with transfers as much as I do the way fans of the schools that take more transfers go on and on about how these guys give them instant credibility and make them so much better overnight.

For some, there is a recruitment season and also a transfer season, and it gets old hearing all the crowing about how these guys are studs and going to make such a difference. Just admit the guy, let him practice, and see what happens on the field.

I also am not a fan of seeing a team fill out a large portion of their roster with transfers as I think it generally erodes their long term success (Chattanooga). In some cases it can also create a "gun for hire" aura that goes against what a college program should be.

agsadmin
January 18th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Stop the smack... everyone. xnonono2x

danefan
January 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Why did my post get deleted? It wasn't smack.

I transferred to Albany from Air Force Academy.

If anything I am smacking myself. An interesting concept when you think about it.

citdog
January 18th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Why did my post get deleted? It wasn't smack.

I transferred to Albany from Air Force Academy.

If anything I am smacking myself. An interesting concept when you think about it.

BE SURE TO VOTE IN MY POLL.

GannonFan
January 18th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Yes but aren't we division Ixeyebrowx xrotatehx Why are we treated differently.

A Joke.

I have mixed emotions because I don't want to harm the players. But I really think it should be the same. Create a set of reasons that don't require the year wait but let them transfer to wherever.

Well, although people like to trumpet we are DI, which we are, we are not the same as FBS (which I think your smilie alludes to).

Although I do like your idea of having some reasons why a guy can transfer and not require the year wait, the problem is there are so many reasons a guy could transfer that it'd be too hard to really make the list. Obviously a coaching change would be a good reason, but why is that any better of a reason than a guy who maybe realizes he doesn't like the school he's at (doesn't like the major, doesn't like the distance to home, etc)? Remember, although these are young men, when they made their decision where to go to school they were only 17 or 18 years old. While we as middle-age and in some cases much older men and women as fans want the games to be as fair as possible, ultimately the most important thing isn't the quality of the game on the field but the development of the supposed student athletes. It's a bit hypocritical (not by you but others) to slam the poor graduation rates of FBS schools and derail the emphasis they put on the sport over academics and the student, but then at the same time rail against transfers coming to the FCS division and how that distorts (allegedly) the sport rather than understanding that these are still students first. The idea that transfers are disgruntled malcontents who are football mercenaries is actually the tiny exception, not the rule. xpeacex

OL FU
January 18th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Well, although people like to trumpet we are DI, which we are, we are not the same as FBS (which I think your smilie alludes to).

Although I do like your idea of having some reasons why a guy can transfer and not require the year wait, the problem is there are so many reasons a guy could transfer that it'd be too hard to really make the list. Obviously a coaching change would be a good reason, but why is that any better of a reason than a guy who maybe realizes he doesn't like the school he's at (doesn't like the major, doesn't like the distance to home, etc)? Remember, although these are young men, when they made their decision where to go to school they were only 17 or 18 years old. While we as middle-age and in some cases much older men and women as fans want the games to be as fair as possible, ultimately the most important thing isn't the quality of the game on the field but the development of the supposed student athletes. It's a bit hypocritical (not by you but others) to slam the poor graduation rates of FBS schools and derail the emphasis they put on the sport over academics and the student, but then at the same time rail against transfers coming to the FCS division and how that distorts (allegedly) the sport rather than understanding that these are still students first. The idea that transfers are disgruntled malcontents who are football mercenaries is actually the tiny exception, not the rule. xpeacex

I was joking when I made the DI comment.

I don't have problems with people transferring. I realize that we don't want students jumping from school to school every year but that could easily be eliminated by limiting the number of times one can transfer. (I say that without really considering the consequences) . But if we are really interested in the student/athlete then why make him wait a year to transfer within the same divisionxeyebrowx

You know me I love our division and I understand the quality of certain transfers. I just don't understand why it is ok to immediately play in a different division yet sit out a year if you play in the same division. Well, I do understand. It is an attempt to stop students from transferring by making them wait or making them step down. Personally, I would prefer to not make the wait.

GannonFan
January 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I was joking when I made the DI comment.

I don't have problems with people transferring. I realize that we don't want students jumping from school to school every year but that could easily be eliminated by limiting the number of times one can transfer. (I say that without really considering the consequences) . But if we are really interested in the student/athlete then why make him wait a year to transfer within the same divisionxeyebrowx

You know me I love our division and I understand the quality of certain transfers. I just don't understand why it is ok to immediately play in a different division yet sit out a year if you play in the same division. Well, I do understand. It is an attempt to stop students from transferring by making them wait or making them step down. Personally, I would prefer to not make the wait.

I agree full heartedly with that - I'm willing to give a kid a break if he made a bad decision of where to go to school initially, but you should only get one mulligan. xthumbsupx

foghorn
January 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
At UD, before a transfer is accepted as a team member he is escorted around campus by chosen team individuals and then mingles with the rest of the team. He is only accepted if he 'passes' the team vote. If he displays unwanted tendencies, such as 'cockiness', he's turned down. I know of, at least, one incident where a potential transfer was refused for not 'passing' the team vote. xrulesx

OL FU
January 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
At UD, before a transfer is accepted as a team member he is escorted around campus by chosen team individuals and then mingles with the rest of the team. He is only accepted if he 'passes' the team vote. If he displays unwanted tendencies, such as 'cockiness', he's turned down. I know of, at least, one incident where a potential transfer was refused for not 'passing' the team vote. xrulesx

That sounds like a very good ideaxnodx

blukeys
January 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
That sounds like a very good ideaxnodx

Not only is it a good idea from the stand point of developing team cohesion, it is a great idea form the standpoint of of truly spotting the "attitude" problems mentioned earlier.

A cocky obnoxious kid will more than likely display this while hanging out just with the guys than in a meeting with the coaches.

To his credit Keeler has found transfers that have blended well with their new team and have been a credit to UD on and off the field.

andy7171
January 18th, 2008, 11:34 AM

That's cool! xthumbsupx