PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra @ Paladin Stadium

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM
While the rest of you argue over who is number 15, I have cast by ballot (right, wrong or totally confused) and am ready to move on. Furman stepped it up some but still seems to have trouble defending the pass and keeping people out of the end-zone. We also seem to have trouble protecting the quarterback. Most of our passing plays have Martin rolling out (which is not a bad thing as he can throw well in the opposite direction of the roll out). When he drops back, he has not been protected well.

Last time we played was the first round of the 2000 playoffs. Hofstra won 31-24. Here is what I know (very little). Hofstra is a strong passing team (uh-oh) but has a poor reputation on defense. Looks like it could be a high scoring affair.

While we looked better, FU is still not playing up to the pre-season hype. If we were I would feel very confidant we would win a tough one. Since we are not, it looks like a shoot out where the last team with the ball wins.

Whatcha think?

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Given Furman's streak against A10's in the playoffs, I'd have to go with the Pride! :p

ChickenMan
September 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I'll go with Furman... Hofstra still has to prove that they can play some defense vs a good 1AA opponent.

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Given Furman's streak against A10's in the playoffs, I'd have to go with the Pride! :p

The good news - This isn't the playoffs :)

bluehenbillk
September 19th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I see HU winning this game. Clarkson & the WR's Hofstra has will make it difficult for Furman. Hofstra is a decent step up versus the JSU & WCU's of the world.

ChickenMan
September 19th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Hofstra is a decent step up versus the JSU & WCU's of the world.

that remains to be seen... big wins over Stoney Brook and Albany don't really tell me too much.

blueballs
September 19th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I see HU winning this game. Clarkson & the WR's Hofstra has will make it difficult for Furman. Hofstra is a decent step up versus the JSU & WCU's of the world.

Highly disagree.

WCU is for real, ask FU or Cincinnatti. JSU is a playoff team returning alot of players.

Hofstra will give up at least 35 and lose by two scores.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
September 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM
As long as the Pallys go with the backup QB and relegate Ingleburt to punting only OH SNAP

said the guy who was a fan of quarterback-less Montana

Ivytalk
September 19th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Furman by 7+.

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Checked out the stats. Hofstra gave up a lot of points last year. They lost a linebacker to injury, right? It looks to me like Hofstra defended the run fairly well last year giving up only about 150 years per game and about 3.5 per carry. Is the stat meaningful or did they play mostly passing teams.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Checked out the stats. Hofstra gave up a lot of points last year.
They give up a lot of points every year. :p

thirdgendin
September 19th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I prefer to reference our record against A-10 teams in the regular season:
2003 - Richmond W, 31-17
2002 - @ Richmond W, 17-7
2000 - W&M W, 34-10
1999 - @ W&M W, 52-6

We also had a few wins over UConn in the early 90s. I believe Furman's last regular season loss to an A-10 team was at William & Mary in 1991. Now, the playoffs are an entirely different story...

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM
I prefer to reference our record against A-10 teams in the regular season:
Yeah, that's why I specified playoff, you caught me. :o I didn't recall the W&M games, but did know about the two Richmond ones. HU will have to just plain outscore FU to win this one IMO. 45-42 ish.

OL FU
September 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I think you will see FU run the ball as much as possible. That is why I am asking about the Hofstra D. RUN RUN RUN. Keep Hofstra offense off the field.

nick9c
September 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM
This game should definitely be a good measure of where the SOCON stands versus the Atlantic 10 early in the season. It will also highlight two divergent playing styles...Hofstra with its passing attack and Furman with a more run-oriented offense. This could be Ingle Martin's day to shine.

I expect Hofstra to test Furman's run-oriented offense early by playing 8 in the box. Similarly, Hofstra should expect to see nickel and dime packages. If Furman can get its play-action offense going early, we should prevail, but it will likely be a high-scoring affair. Both defenses seem very suspect.

youwouldno
September 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM
At times, our pass defense has actually looked good. When we get good pressure, we have some good cover corners (Holmes in particular has stood out) and can experience some success. Our LBs are all athletic but many are young and lack experience in coverage.

The real problem a lot of times is tackling. When the defense is facing a short pass or screen play, often times a LB or DB will get a shot at him either around the line of scrimmage or a few yards into positive territory... not beating blocks and not finishing tackles add on tons of yardage to the plays. If then the offense is getting fewer first downs, their total number of attempts will decline.

Of course, the main burden is on our offense to successfully run the ball. Samford did little to slow us down... whether Hofstra, a much better team, can remains to be seen. I tend to doubt it, despite WCU's success... our O-line is good, our backs are good. One bad game against a top defense (WCU) is probably the anomaly.

FU97
September 19th, 2005, 04:40 PM
This game should definitely be a good measure of where the SOCON stands versus the Atlantic 10 early in the season. It will also highlight two divergent playing styles...Hofstra with its passing attack and Furman with a more run-oriented offense. This could be Ingle Martin's day to shine.

I expect Hofstra to test Furman's run-oriented offense early by playing 8 in the box. Similarly, Hofstra should expect to see nickel and dime packages. If Furman can get its play-action offense going early, we should prevail, but it will likely be a high-scoring affair. Both defenses seem very suspect.

We sure didn't show any of those nickel or dime packages vs Samford and they were in 4 wide the majority of the game. We were in our base defense almost the entire game.

umassfan
September 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM
If you cant defend the pass then you will get an L vs Hofstra!

ngineer
September 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM
This will be the first real test for Hofstra. Hard to judge from their blow out wins over Albany and Stony Brook. I agree that a high scoring shootout would seem to be in the offing. I go with Furman 41-38.

Umass74
September 19th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Checked out the stats. Hofstra gave up a lot of points last year. They lost a linebacker to injury, right?

Hofstra lost All-America LB Gian Villente. That won't help them.

IMHO, Hofstra has the best passing game in the nation. Due to a scheduling quirk, they've played at UMass for about three years in a row.

Each time there has been about 4 to 6 NFL scouts in attendance. What they were watching was Hofsta's receivers.

They have guys like Devale Ellis 74 rec, 1067 yds, 14.4 ave, 13 TDs ,(2004 stats). They scored more than 30 points seven times last year.

They are not well known outside the A10 because they have not made the playoffs. But their offense can go with anyone.

last year they lost to JMU by 10, Delaware by 1, UNH by 6.

Expect a shoot-out.

JMU Duke Dog
September 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
JMU will be watching this game as they are idle and travel to Hofstra for their next game on October 1st.

blur2005
September 19th, 2005, 08:58 PM
I'll be cheering for the Pride; should be a hellUVA game (sorry, I couldn't resist :) ). The bumper sticker on my car says "one hellUVA school."

JMU Duke Dog
September 19th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I'll be cheering for the Pride; should be a hellUVA game (sorry, I couldn't resist :) ). The bumper sticker on my car says "one hellUVA school."

I will also be pulling for Hofstra to win on the road.

Well blur2005 it is good you still follow JMU but in regards to that other school.....BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :nonono2:

OL FU
September 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Sounds like this may be one high scoring game the way FU has played. As I said before, I expect to us to run the ball even more than usual. Time of possession isn't always as important as people make it out to be but in this game sounds like we had better have the ball so Hofstra does not.

OL FU
September 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM
While Lamb would tell you this game is less important than any conference game and he would be correct, I think FU had this one circled on the calendar early on. I have heard coach Lamb say A-10 on more than one occasion. My guess is that FU is approaching as a play-off predictor and the fact that we have not fared well against the A-10 including Hofstra in the playoffs will be used as a motivator. Here's hoping it works.

And of course a lose this weekend, means we can only afford one more with GSU and Chattanooga away and Wofford and Appalachian at home.

nick9c
September 20th, 2005, 10:05 AM
We sure didn't show any of those nickel or dime packages vs Samford and they were in 4 wide the majority of the game. We were in our base defense almost the entire game.

In the last playoff game with Hofstra, Bobby Johnson played nickel and dime situations against the Pride. I'd hope that Bobby Lamb would do the same, putting in another DB for a LB.

Paladin05
September 20th, 2005, 10:34 AM
In the last playoff game with Hofstra, Bobby Johnson played nickel and dime situations against the Pride. I'd hope that Bobby Lamb would do the same, putting in another DB for a LB.

Furman DID play nickel packages on many occasions against Samford. Rico Scott ran on the field to replace DE Paul White more times than I could count.

GannonFan
September 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I don't think it'll be a shock for Hofstra to see a lot of nickel or dime coverage - their offense almost forces this to be the case and they almost always see that type of defense. I'd be shocked if there are teams out there that don't run those defenses against Hofstra. Their offense is kinda like the passing version of GSU's spread option - you know what they're going to do, it's more of a question of who's going to execute better - their offense or your defense. Certainly a tough game for Furman as they can't be too confident after the start they've had and Hofstra, although not the best team, is certainly a solid A10 team. Should be a tight game either way, and maybe one of the best this week.

WallyTerrier
September 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Well, of course I or anyone else can guarantee a win. Its at Furman, good fan support. Furman usually gets up for big games. Ingle Martin has a stellar day as do the Running Back Corps. Furman wins by at least 3.
Last team with the ball is probably the winner. Shoot-out is highly likely!
48-45 Furman!

th0m
September 21st, 2005, 04:47 AM
Who's better than them in the A-10? Name all of them please.

Yeah, whoever knows gets a cookie from me. :D

ChickenMan
September 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM
Who's better than Hofstra in the A-10? Name all of them please.

Maybe five or six teams... maybe two or three or maybe none... ;)

OL FU
September 21st, 2005, 09:12 AM

Well one thing is certain. If FU wns on Saturday then there will be at least 10 or 11 A-10 teams better than Hofstra :D

ChickenMan
September 21st, 2005, 09:23 AM
Well one thing is certain. If FU wns on Saturday then there will be at least 10 or 11 A-10 teams better than Hofstra :D

have you been talking to umassfan... :p

GannonFan
September 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM

Opinions can vary Ralph (I think you even said that in another post) - in my opinion, I think UNH, UD, JMU, and even W&M are better than Hofstra at this point in time. I'm sure there are other opinions on this that could be different than mine. Se la vie.

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM
:nod: Unknown quantity right now. Many people had picked Hofstra as their dark horse in the A10 this year. Two mid-major wins doesn't change the fact that they are still a dark horse. They have yet to win an A10 game. They could very well be 2-4 in four more weeks.

Again, not to dwell on history, but sometimes I seem to be the only one who will bring it up...

2004 Hofstra 5-6 (3-5, A10)
Hofstra 45 - Albany 0
Hofstra 62 - Stony Brook 21

2005 Hofstra 2-0 (0-0, A10)
Hofstra 36 - Albany 7
Hofstra 55 - Stony Brook 0

What they've done so far this season is nothing special, even for them.

Dukester
September 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM

They've not played a real game yet - I'd not put them in the top 4 or 5 until they show what they can do against even an average team.

The last few years they have not lived up to their preseason expections.

I hope Hofstra wins - but Furman has some real games under their belt and I think that will benefite them.

I think Furman in not a real close game, but hope I'm wrong. :rolleyes:

ashram
September 21st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Am I wrong, or have no Hofstra fans replied in this thread yet? It's nice that their A10 brethren speak for them, but I'd like to hear from some of their fans as well.

89Hen
September 21st, 2005, 10:22 AM
I'd like to hear from some of their fans as well.
Don't hold your breath. They are both on vacation this week.

ChickenMan
September 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM
Am I wrong, or have no Hofstra fans replied in this thread yet? It's nice that their A10 brethren speak for them, but I'd like to hear from some of their fans as well.

you might have a better chance of hearing from Santa Claus... Hofstra fans are few and far between... :D

Dukester
September 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Beware of their defense - It's #2 in the nation. :p When's the last time you saw that? ;)

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-teamtotaldef.htm

OL FU
September 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Beware of their defense - It's #2 in the nation. :p When's the last time you saw that? ;)

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-teamtotaldef.htm

WE may not be playing at the expected level but we ain't Stoneybrook or Albany ( do I have the right teams?) One prediction I am sure of, they will not be number 2 in defense after this weekend.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2005, 11:12 AM

Who knows, maybe the same time last year when they played similar patsies. I just can't get all worked up over stats like Team Defense and Offense this early in the year - come October they mean a lot more.

Dukester
September 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Did you guys not notice the " :p " ?

IT WAS A JOKE, I KNOW WHO THEY'VE PLAYED. I MADE MENTION OF IT A COUPLE POSTS UP IN THE SAME THREAD.

:bang:

OL FU
September 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Did you guys not notice the " :p " ?

IT WAS A JOKE, I KNOW WHO THEY'VE PLAYED. I MADE MENTION OF IT A COUPLE POSTS UP IN THE SAME THREAD.

:bang:

Sorry I committed the same error that I accused others.

Gotcha, Let's hope they are no longer number two after the weekend.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 21st, 2005, 09:24 PM
you might have a better chance of hearing from Santa Claus... Hofstra fans are few and far between... :D

lol...

I remember GSU's quarter final against them in 2000. Hofstra had about 25 people, and that includes the 10 people in the little pep band that they brought. They played before a crowd of a whopping 5,000 and something people. It was also the coldest football game I think I had ever been to.

charliej
September 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM
Don't hold your breath. They are both on vacation this week.

You mean they got another one? ;)

Purple Knight
September 21st, 2005, 09:39 PM

Explain please.

OL FU
September 22nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Explain please.

Read the entire thread. A portion was devoted to where Hofstra stands in the A-10. Post was a friendly shot at our A-10 friends and their constant (but light hearted :confused: ) reminders of A-10 dominance.

It was just for yucks :D