PDA

View Full Version : McTurf Rendering

McTailGator
January 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The GSE GEOSPORT Turf will be completed in time for spring training.

http://people.delphiforums.com/tailgateguy/McTurf.jpg

And it will be a great view from the top deck of our new 46,413 square foot EndZone Complex facility, which will begin construction right after spring training.

More than $10 Million dollars will be spent on Cowboy Stadium in the next 18 months.

http://www.mcneesefieldhouse.com/images/fieldhouse01.jpg

Eyes of Old Main
January 15th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Nice! xthumbsupx

slostang
January 16th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Looks great. I am looking forward to seeing them in person Sept. 13th when Cal Poly rolls into town.

Tealblood
January 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
what ya'll gone do about fixing the whole in the roof of your BBall court?
xsmiley_wix

McNeese72
January 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Looks great. I am looking forward to seeing them in person Sept. 13th when Cal Poly rolls into town.

Only the turf will be completed by then. The Field House will take a lot longer to complete.

Doc

P.S. I'll be looking for a Cal Poly fan to bring me a Cal Poly hat for my McNeese opponent (and others) hat collection on the wall at my office. I usually offer to buy the hat or trade for a McNeese hat. Are you interested?

slostang
January 16th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Only the turf will be completed by then. The Field House will take a lot longer to complete.

Doc

P.S. I'll be looking for a Cal Poly fan to bring me a Cal Poly hat for my McNeese opponent (and others) hat collection on the wall at my office. I usually offer to buy the hat or trade for a McNeese hat. Are you interested?

Consider it done. See you in September.

Seahawks Fan
January 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Curious, do you know why they selected that turf?

813Jag
January 16th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Looks Good! xthumbsupx

McTailGator
January 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM

You will see the Turf,

But the field house will still be work in progress.

McTailGator
January 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
what ya'll gone do about fixing the whole in the roof of your BBall court?
xsmiley_wix

We are going to start by NEVER inviting your coach over again.

The court was mopped up and was playable, and we also had an alternative venue. He chose to board a bus to get to Houston a day earlier. He DUCKED.

There is no hole in the roof. There is a vent system on top of the dome and we had an absolutely incrediably hard rain all that day, and the evening prior. It was raining sideways, and the rain got thru the vent as a result.

BUT, we would like a new on-campus arena in a few years that does not double as a Rodeo Barn.

McNeese72
January 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Well, it is the turf that Ark. St. has and several High Schools in La. Reviews of it have been very good.

One advantage is you don't have all the rubber flyout and rubber particles getting everywhere from the rubber fill in the turf. Another, is that it has better drainage than a lot of the others. And that is important because there is a reason why Cowboy Stadium is nicknamed "The Hole".

Below, is a link to letter written to the GeoSport Company by Bob Howell, the Head Coach of Zachary High School and former McNeese assitant coach and player. It pretty much says it all.

Bob Howell Letter (http://www.gsegeosport.com/testimonials/zachary.pdf)

A few more testimonials can be read here:

Testimonials (http://www.gsegeosport.com/testimonials/testimonials.shtml)

The GeoSport Turf website is here:

Geosport Turf Website (http://www.gsegeosport.com/)

Doc

McNeese72
January 16th, 2008, 09:07 AM
We going to NEVER invite your coach over again.

The court was mopped up and was playable, and we also had analternative venue. He chose to board a bus to get to Houston a day earlier. He DUCKED.

There is no hole in the roof. There is a vent system on top of the dome and we had an absolutely incrediably hard rain all that day, and the evening prior. It was raining sideways, and the rain got thru the vent as a result.

BUT, we would like a new on-campus arena in a few years that does not double as a Rodeo Barn.

Plus, the hard rain had quit and no more water was getting in. What little that was getting on the floor were drops from where water had accumlated on the gondola that supports the speakers.

In addition, we could have played the game at the Memorial Gym on campus, but the other head coach refused saying his contract said Burton Coliseum.

He wasn't really wanting to play the game and was more concerned about getting to Houston before it got dark for some reason.

Doc

McTailGator
January 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I’m not certain about all of the details, but I can tell you this...

Cowboy Stadium sits approximately 30 feet below ground surface in a great big hole, thus the reason we call it, “THE HOLE” being in south Louisiana this is significant, because the playing surface is probably at or near sea level, and in that particular area of Louisiana, groundwater is typically located around 12 feet below ground surface. Groundwater infiltration is a significant issue in “The Hole”. Not as much so on the playing surface, because the drainage system we have does a great job, but McNeese72 will tell you it’s rough on camera men who roam the sidelines, because ground water seeps toward that portion of the stadium.

As a result of the groundwater issues, McNeese knew our construction technology had to be different and went looking for a product, and a design that could effectively deal with the groundwater problem. In our case what was UNDER the turf was as or more important as what was on the surface. They found GSE Geosport’s thru McNeese new Quarterback coach who arrived last year from St. Thomas Moore high school in Lafayette, Louisiana. STM installed the very same surface the year before at the stadium. That QB coach is a former McNeese QB. In addition, another former McNeese player and coach is the athletic director and head football coach at Zachary high school in southeast Louisiana. His school just installed the very same thing. Click here to read what he had to say about it: http://www.gsegeosport.com/testimonials/zachary.pdf

In addition, Arkansas State University has the same surface and almost the exact same below ground surface issue regarding ground water infiltration. Click here to read what their AD has to say about the surface: http://www.gsegeosport.com/testimonials/arkansas.pdf

According to the other schools that have installed this new surface, it is the only artificial turf system to offer No Fly out, Increased Wear Resistance, Excellent Drainage, and Lower Surface Temperatures. All very significant issues in hot humid Southwest Louisiana, with a playing surface that is located under the groundwater table.

GSE is also leading manufacturer and marketer of geosynthetic lining products. My company has purchased many of their stormwater retention and waste containment applications in the past. They know how to deal with groundwater issues. In addition, this link, http://www.gsegeosport.com/ will take you to a video that shows the quality of the playing surface compared to others. It’s a good side by side comparison. It is NOT the cheapest, and we knew our construction and installation costs would also be higher due to our significant engineering challenges. Luckily we have a donor willing to foot the entire bill and he wants it done right. This will cost nearly $900,000 to install, which is one of the highest I have ever heard of.

Seahawks Fan
January 16th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I’m not certain about all of the details, but I can tell you this......

Great answer. Thanks. We installed FieldTurf two years ago and are pleased with it, but we have none of the problems you describe. xthumbsupx

McTailGator
January 16th, 2008, 12:02 PM
but we have none of the problems you describe. xthumbsupx

Yea, we first started thinking about about 4 years ago. But all those problems and costs caused us a lot of concern.

MplsBison
January 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Don't you think if not having an infill was an advantage that Fieldturf and all the other pioneering companies would've done it?

The infill is needed to accurately simulate a true turf surface.

The cleats need something to dig into.

I imagine that this is a very slow surface.

McTailGator
January 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Don't you think if not having an infill was an advantage that Fieldturf and all the other pioneering companies would've done it?

The infill is needed to accurately simulate a true turf surface.

The cleats need something to dig into.

I imagine that this is a very slow surface.

Take a look at the video of the guy bouncing the ball on each of the surfaces. You will see that it might even be a faster surface.

It will have a fill, but somehow the fill is prevented from flying out. Please don't ask how, because I don't know yet.

All the coaches that have it prefer it over the other turfs. Read the Zachary High coaches testimony. The college coach recruiting on his campus that he was refering to was a coach from Nichols State that just installed the new Astro Turf product.

Nichols did not pay a dime for it, and was glad to get it, but got stuck with it because of Archie Mannings relationship with AstroTurf who donated it.

GeauxColonels
January 16th, 2008, 06:26 PM
What does the text read on the 30-yard lines?

McNeese72
January 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM
What does the text read on the 30-yard lines?

Louis Bonnette Field

That is only string that the donor attached to the donation for the turf. That the field be named after 40+ year SID Louis Bonnette.

Doc

CrazyCat
January 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM
What was the cost of the turf and installation?

GeauxColonels
January 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Louis Bonnette Field

That is only string that the donor attached to the donation for the turf. That the field be named after 40+ year SID Louis Bonnette.

Doc
Ah, OK. Thanks. It's very difficult to read on here. No doubt they'll make it so it's legible in reality.

andy7171
January 17th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Nice looking field and endzone field house!

McTailGator
January 17th, 2008, 08:46 AM
What was the cost of the turf and installation?

It's pushing 850K+ from what I understand.

I'll see if I can get an exact number, but keep in mind. 60% of that cost is not the turf. It's the problem we have with groundwater.