PDA

View Full Version : Tech Aims for 100 Next Week against Indiana St

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Tech thought they could hang 100 on the Kats this week before finally winning 80-21 in Lubbock. In a quote that ran in the Chronicle, they're hoping to top the century mark against Indiana St next week and quite frankly, who is going to stop them?

"I think if we play well and we capitalize on every drive, we can score 100 points," Hodges said. "If we can do it, we need to do it next week."

Tech plays another Division I-AA opponent, Indiana State

purduecrum
September 18th, 2005, 07:43 PM
What a pile of stinky run-up-the-score poop they are if their ambition is to score a hundred on a I-AA opponent. :nonono2:

My mom can put up a W against ISU, and she isn't very good at football. Woe is ISU for taking this money game. Woe is Texas Tech for not scheduling anyone that is going to prepare them for the Big 12.

I hope Texas Tech gets Indiana or Minnesota in some no-name bowl for pathetic I-A teams who must schedule I-AA teams to make crappy bowl game in Tennessee or Michigan.

TxSt02
September 18th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Mike Leach and Texas Tech are trash...

bkrownd
September 19th, 2005, 01:30 AM
What a pile of stinky run-up-the-score poop they are if their ambition is to score a hundred on a I-AA opponent.

They hung about 70-something on Nebraska last year.

JMG1MON
September 19th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Tech may be able to put up 100 points, however they are only allowed to use 1 of the 1-aa wins to count towards a bowl game. That is why I do not understand them scheduling 2 1-aa's. It is just dumb. Play some really week 1-a school if they want to run it up!!!

Black and Gold Express
September 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Tech may be able to put up 100 points, however they are only allowed to use 1 of the 1-aa wins to count towards a bowl game. That is why I do not understand them scheduling 2 1-aa's. It is just dumb. Play some really week 1-a school if they want to run it up!!!

My guess is scheduling and money.

I-AA teams are usually more available than I-A teams, especially last-minute.
I-AA teams will take a lesser payout than I-A teams.
I-AA teams will always be a home game, with no return game required.

So Tech gets two easy win home games, and they can sell out and bring in the gates for both. And they get to add one of those wins to be bowl elligible.

Doesn't sound quite so stupid to me.

kats89
September 19th, 2005, 10:24 AM
They hung about 70-something on Nebraska last year.

Yeah an Nebraska only scored 10 points in that game. At least we got 21? On to Missouri St. Time to start making our move in I-AA. With the two paychecks we got from UH and Tx Tech, we should be able to outbid a few people in the playoff system!!! :D

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM
From RedRaiders.com, the Lubbock newspaper is thinking it could occur...

http://www.redraiders.com/stories/091905/foo_1639700.shtml

PMB4Life
September 19th, 2005, 04:10 PM
WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?????

Tech will have a grand old time when someone like Texas decided to start using the Red Whiners to pad Vince Young's stats. Texas 98, TTU 24. :mad:

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
From bigdog on KatFans.com...

By JAKE CURTIS
San Francisco Chronicle
19-SEP-05
0 - The number of people who should doubt that the musing of Texas Tech receiver Jarrett Hicks _ "We try for 100 every week," Hicks told the Lubbock Avalanche Journal _ could become reality this week. Hicks said it after Tech's 80-21 victory over Sam Houston State, which was ranked No. 24 in last week's Division I-AA poll. On Saturday, Tech hosts Indiana State, a I-AA school that is 0-3, including a 42-10 home loss to St. Francis, an NAIA school.

IndyStar.com Sports
September 19, 2005
Ouch!: Them's fighting words
Texas Tech is looking to score 100 points against Indiana State -- and we're not talking about a basketball game.
The No. 19 Red Raiders beat Division I-AA Sam Houston State 80-21 Saturday in football. Quarterback Cody Hodges (pictured) said they left a few points on the field.
"I think if we play well and we capitalize on every drive, we can score 100 points," Hodges said. "If we can do it, we need to do it next week."
Next up for Texas Tech: Division I-AA Indiana State, which is 0-3 and was routed 42-10 by NAIA St. Francis.
Star and news services

By John Niyo / Scripps Howard News Service
Likewise, the only suspense with Texas Tech's non-conference schedule is just how many points the pass-happy Red Raiders will put up each week. Saturday, the number was 80 in a rout of Division I-AA Sam Houston State.

"I think if we play well and we capitalize on every drive, we can score 100 points," said Cody Hodges, Texas Tech's quarterback who has thrown for 890 yards and nine touchdowns in two games.

Mike Leach's team will try for the century mark next week against Indiana State, another I-AA team.

Darryl Richards / Special to FOXSports.com
Pity Indiana State this week when it plays Texas Tech. The Red Raiders, who have loaded up on lower-level Division I-A and Division I-AA opponents in non-conference play, have been talking about the possibilities of scoring 100 points in a game. Tech beat Sam Houston State, 80-21, for the second most points in school history.

Chris Wallace
Rivals.com College Football Editor
The Ugly…
Texas Tech delivered a major beating to Sam Houston State on Saturday night, piling up an 80-21 victory. The Red Raiders rolled up 770 yards of offense in the game, including 650 through the air. Quarterback Cody Hodges was 26 of 37 for 436 yards and six touchdowns before giving way to backup Graham Harrell, who was 14-for-17 for 208 yards and one score. Make no mistake; It was ugly. Probably the only thing uglier worth mentioning is the Red Raiders' disgraceful nonconference schedule. Texas Tech whipped lowly Florida International in its opener and next will take on powerful Indiana State. Memo to Mike Leach: Play somebody.

excerpt from houston chronicle writer richard justice, in his daily blog,

"Did you see that quote in Sunday's paper from the Texas Tech quarterback who wants to score 100 points against Indiana State next week?

Classy, very classy."

UMclassof2002
September 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Why is it that every other coach in the nation catches hell, but when Leach runs up the score nobody even notices or says anything?

blur2005
September 19th, 2005, 06:56 PM
WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?????

Tech will have a grand old time when someone like Texas decided to start using the Red Whiners to pad Vince Young's stats. Texas 98, TTU 24. :mad:
No fricken way that score would ever happen. Texas Tech is good, and I may be playing the devil's advocate here, but more power to them. I will say that they should've at least tried to get a decent I-A team for one of their first three games, considering they played Florida International, who half of I-AA could beat, and then Sam Houston State. Now they play I-AA weakling Indiana State. That's got to be the most patsy non-conference schedule I've ever seen. On the flip-side, I will say that those wins probably didn't get anyone important hurt or banged up, and they can be healthy for their big games against Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M. Watch out for the Red Raiders...they'll at least beat Oklahoma. Who knows, an upset of Texas could land them in the Big 12 Title game, which wouldn't be impossible to imagine, considering Texas Tech can play defense this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Make the TT coach is trying to inflate their numbers?

Anyways, wouldn't it be funny if half of their first string got hurt while they were trying to run up the score? Not that I want to tech the coaches silliness out on the players.

cosmo here
September 20th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Why is it that every other coach in the nation catches hell, but when Leach runs up the score nobody even notices or says anything?

When Texas Tech's back-up QB goes 14-for-17, they're really long handoffs on wide receiver screens or shovel passes. They don't have much of a run scheme, even out of the gun. If you don't want them to score points, tackle somebody.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
When Texas Tech's back-up QB goes 14-for-17, they're really long handoffs on wide receiver screens or shovel passes. They don't have much of a run scheme, even out of the gun. If you don't want them to score points, tackle somebody.

I remember a few years ago Lehigh was up 51-3 at half and all they did was run up the middle three 3 times and punt in the 2nd half which i don't think is the right approach. Running the ball over and over to keep the score down might result in more injuries especially to linemen on both teams which isn't fair to them. I don't think a team should ever stop playing. I dont think you should be throwing deep passes but running the ball into the middle of the line isn't a good idea and i would never put my players in those circumstance.

Black and Gold Express
September 20th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Bingo. THis is where I always shake my head at the people whining about someone running up the score. Chances are you'll see that they aren't using plays they wouldn't call normally, or keeping the starters in for all four quarters. And you can't tell backups to go in and not try 100%. That's not fair to those kids.

Mismatches happen. Talent differences are a part of the game, as well as life. It takes two teams to play a game, and the team on the short end of a blowout usually has as much to do with the score as the winning team does. Only a lot of people are too scared of being un-PC to point that out.

The only time I'd have a problem with a blowout is if the winning team is doing things unusual for them, like suddenly airing it out when they are a ground attack. Or keeping in the first stringers well past the point where the game is in doubt. If neither of those happen, then it's no shame if their backups manage to light up the scoreboard as well.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 20th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Tony Mejia from cbssportsline.com picked Texas Tech 80-7, i don't think i have ever seen a predicted score like that.