PDA

View Full Version : Whoa! What happened to Montana State?

Lumberjacks76
September 18th, 2005, 01:39 AM
38-10 loss to Cal Poly?!?!!

I thought Montana State was better than that.

Paul

th0m
September 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Maybe MSU is good, but is Cal Poly better than you appear to have esteem for.

slostang
September 18th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Cal Poly's defense was awesome. Five sacks of Lulay and two scores. One off an interception and one came from a sack and forced fumble in the endzone recovered by Gocong for the TD. Poly's D has 15 sacks through 3 games, six by Gocong. The maybe better than last years D that was led by the Buck Buchanan winner Jordan Beck.

I still feel that MSU is a very talented team that still may take the Big Sky. They just ran into a Cal Poly team that was on fire.

It was a great weekend for the Great West.

Davis over Stanford 20-17 (Also a great win for I-AA)
NDSU over Weber St 41-0
SDSU holds Montana to only 7 in a loss
Cal Poly over MSU 38-10
UNC over Southeastern La. 35-19
And SUU looks to be improving in a loss to NAU 27-7

89Hen
September 18th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I thought Montana State was better than that.

:D

catbob
September 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM
MSU has proved once again we cannot get over the hump. If we beat NDSU at home, all will be well in Bobcat land going into conference. If NDSU beats us, our only hope at the playoffs is winning out conference.

Poly has our number every year, they have a hex on Kramer.

TulsaBobcat
September 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Kramer can never seem to get his teams to live up to expectations. Expectations that he creates through his flamboyant interviews with the media. We definitely have the talent to win games.

What is becoming obvious to me is that the coaching is seriously lacking. The game plan always sucks against Cal Poly. We play them every year and they haven't changed their offense or defense in any of the recent matchups, and Kramer and Co. cannot figure out a gameplan. 89Hen is right, we are always overrated. I wish we would never receive votes for the top 25 because when we do we choke.

Life as a Bobcat fan produces the ups and downs of being manically depressed.

:bang:

WYOBISONMAN
September 18th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I am sure the Cats will be up for the game on Saturday against NDSU, so I hope the Bison bring thier "A" game to Bozeman!

Lumberjacks76
September 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I didn't know Cal Poly was that good. I mean, yeah, they beat up on cellar dweller Sacramento State, and lost 27-10 to Troy, but I felt Montana State was a playoff team this year, at the very least.

Maybe not. :confused:

VictorG
September 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM
What is becoming obvious to me is that the coaching is seriously lacking.
:bang:

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you just making a comment. This statement is reoccurring in bobcat and Griz land time and time again, year after year! From what I'm reading, Montana teams must be the poorest coached teams in the United States! :confused:

The reason MSU lost yesterday is a lack of a good running game which allowed Cal Polly to pin their ears back and come after the QB. The way to beat Lulay is with pressure in his face and contain his running ability. Plain and simple! The Griz did it last year in Missoula and Cal Polly did it last night. No mystery about it in my mind!

catbob
September 18th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Just because we lost to CP doesn't mean we aren't a playoff caliber team. It is still early in the season, and keep in mind we played Cal Poly without Gatewood, and our 3rd string receiver, Miller, was also out. They aren't excuses, but we will be back to full strength next week against NDSU and that will be the measuring stick to this point. If we beat NDSU, I believe we are still a top 15 team. If we fall, even I would vote MSU out of the top 25.

TulsaBobcat
September 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you just making a comment. This statement is reoccurring in bobcat and Griz land time and time again, year after year! From what I'm reading, Montana teams must be the poorest coached teams in the United States! :confused:

The reason MSU lost yesterday is a lack of a good running game which allowed Cal Polly to pin their ears back and come after the QB. The way to beat Lulay is with pressure in his face and contain his running ability. Plain and simple! The Griz did it last year in Missoula and Cal Polly did it last night. No mystery about it in my mind!

Oh Great Football Mind VictorG.....

Who would you blame for not having a running game. The players, or the coaches? Last time I looked it was the coaches who recruited, the coaches who built a gameplan, the coaches who called the plays, the coaches who controlled practices, the coaches who run the strength program, on and on and on. So you can blame it on the running game all you want. The question remains the same, who is responsible for that?

Bronco
September 18th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I think Carpenter looked great in relief of Lulay. Lulay is not that impressive.
Maybe since you've lost 5 or the last 6 games going back to last fall...Kramer needs to make a change to try and jump start the cat team.
I would give Carpenter the start against the Bison next week.

Obzerver
September 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM
There seems to be few people that have forgotten that Cal-Poly was the best team to not make the playoffs last year...

putter
September 18th, 2005, 03:41 PM
The Cats ran into a hot team and their D gave up some big pass plays all night which opened up the run for Poly. They are a good team and if they continue, they should be in the playoffs this year.

VictorG
September 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
So you can blame it on the running game all you want. The question remains the same, who is responsible for that?

I guess following the train of though for coach bashers every where I'll answer your question by saying..............George Bush!!!!

After all, he is the President of these united states. The "buck" is supposed to stop with him! He is suppose to appoint competent people to help him run the government and the country so ultimately, he is responsible for everything!

I could spend all day making a long trickle down chart of how he truly is responsible for the lack of a running game at MSU but I don't feel like it.

You maybe be right that the coaches are responsible based upon recruiting or what have you. I'm just getting a little "thin skinned" at coach bashers EVERYWHERE! Sorry if I've offended you as you personally are not the target of my responses! :)

89Hen
September 18th, 2005, 04:54 PM
They are a good team and if they continue, they should be in the playoffs this year.
:confused: :confused:

Hansel
September 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM
:confused: :confused:
I beleive he is referring to Poly

89Hen
September 18th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I beleive he is referring to Poly
Ah, thanks Hansel. You're so freaking hot this year.

Tod
September 18th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Ah, thanks Hansel. You're so freaking hot this year.

You don't believe MSU is a good team? How so? They played OSU tough and lost 15-10. They manhandled SFA, as they should have. Then, they had a bad game. Does one bad game mean a team is that bad? I don't think so.

slostang
September 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM
MSU beat SFA 42-6. This week SFA beat Western Ill. 63-36. Make the win against SFA all the more impressive. I believe that MSU is a good team that had a bad week. Unfortunately for them they face a hot NDSU next week. At least it is at home, the Fargo Dome is not a easy place to win. MSU does not duck competition. They have the toughest out of conference schedule in the Big Sky: Ok St., SFA, Cal Poly and NDSU.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 08:29 AM
MSU beat SFA 42-6. This week SFA beat Western Ill. 63-36. Make the win against SFA all the more impressive.
If you want to look at how their opponent played another opponent, then you'd also have to look at Henderson State 24 - SFA 7 at the half.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 08:38 AM
You don't believe MSU is a good team? How so? They played OSU tough and lost 15-10. They manhandled SFA, as they should have. Then, they had a bad game. Does one bad game mean a team is that bad? I don't think so.
So which good game should I be giving them credit for? A close loss or a win over a team that was 1-4 in the Southland last year? Montana State has continued to be ranked for the past 3 and a quarter years without beating a single decent team OOC. They are 21-19 in that time frame and all I keep hearing is how freaking talented they are.

Lost to Cal Poly and OSU, beat SFA

Lost to Cal Poly and ColoSt, beat SDSU and Adams State

Lost to Cal Poly, NoCo, Wyoming and UNI, beat Gardner-Webb and St. Mary's

Lost to SFA, WashSt and Central Washington, and McNeese beat Adams and St. Mary's

You really don't see where I'm coming from?

catbob
September 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Yea, but if you win the Sky (as we did two of those years), you can't be all that bad.

We could argue about this for days, why MSU should be ranked or shouldn't be ranked where it is, but there is no point. If you want to make MSU a bottom half team, make your own poll.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Yea, but if you win the Sky (as we did two of those years), you can't be all that bad.

We could argue about this for days, why MSU should be ranked or shouldn't be ranked where it is, but there is no point. If you want to make MSU a bottom half team, make your own poll.
:cool: I've given all kinds of stats and you can only come back with hyperbole? C'mon, defend your team's honor! :p

Slackjaw
September 19th, 2005, 01:41 PM
As an MSU fan I can honestly say we should not be ranked after our performance thus far this year.

1.)Ok St. is not a very good team, I don't care if they are 1-A (I went to the game and we should of won, just another case of us not be able to take the next step).
2.)SFA was losing big to a DII team at half.
3.)Cal-poly manhandled us.

However, that being said I do feel we have the players to beat anybody in i-aa that doesn't run the option or the flex defense. From what I've seen over the past years, coach K can't stop the option and Baily/Lulay can't figure out the flex D. So hopefully somebody else can beat the Georgia Southern's and CAL-POLY's of i-aa.

Tod
September 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM
So which good game should I be giving them credit for? A close loss or a win over a team that was 1-4 in the Southland last year? Montana State has continued to be ranked for the past 3 and a quarter years without beating a single decent team OOC. They are 21-19 in that time frame and all I keep hearing is how freaking talented they are.

Lost to Cal Poly and OSU, beat SFA

Lost to Cal Poly and ColoSt, beat SDSU and Adams State

Lost to Cal Poly, NoCo, Wyoming and UNI, beat Gardner-Webb and St. Mary's

Lost to SFA, WashSt and Central Washington, and McNeese beat Adams and St. Mary's

You really don't see where I'm coming from?

You're dealing in the past, I'm trying to deal in the present. MSU got their butts whooped, no doubt. And they've fallen in the polls appropriately. If NDSU beats them next week, I think they're out. If they beat NDSU, they rise again. That's all. This is 2005, not any of those other years. If they got too much love in the past, there's nothing that can be done about that now. But with a tough OOC and two pretty good teams they have to face early in BSC play (ISU and PSU in the first three weeks, both getting votes in various polls), there's ample time for them to prove they belong or to show that they once again don't. By the end of week seven, I'm pretty sure we'll all know, sooner, of course, if they lose a couple in a row.

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 02:03 PM
You're dealing in the past, I'm trying to deal in the present.
Presently the Cats are 1-2. Your point?

catbob
September 19th, 2005, 02:03 PM
All I can say in my defense is that if the Griz are defending us, you are clearly in the wrong Hen. :D

89Hen
September 19th, 2005, 02:04 PM
All I can say in my defense is that if the Griz are defending us, you are clearly in the wrong Hen. :D
That's a very astute observation! :nod: :p

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
September 19th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I was of the "great team who had one down game" mindset, but 89's stats are pretty ... persuasive. That list o' losses brings one undeniable fact to the fore:

When it comes to performing underwhelmingly in the face of (rightfully) high expectations over the past four years or so, the Cats may be rivaled only by the Salukis.

Tod
September 19th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Presently the Cats are 1-2. Your point?

I happen to agree with something Ralph said. I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said that at this point in the season if you're looking only at the teams record, you're probably looking at some of the wrong teams.

We'll see. But historically speaking, they could throttle NDSU, ISU, Weber, and PSU, and still lose out the rest of their games. So your point is made.

:) :) :D