PDA

View Full Version : Armanti and ASU honored in Armanti's hometown

BULLDOG8180
January 8th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Only billboard in the State of South Carolina.

http://www.indexjournal.com/articles/2008/01/08/sports/sports03.txt

Even though I am 100% Bulldog- I am still proud of "Money".xthumbsupx

Touchdown Yosef
January 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
That is great of that company to do that for ASU and great for Armanti. I think they should also put one up in Miss Teen SC's hometown as well.

She did after all win Southern Fried Football's babe of the year award, but I don't think they hand out rings for that.

http://www.southernfriedfootball.com/Caitlin/

APPride
January 8th, 2008, 09:29 AM
That is great of that company to do that for ASU and great for Armanti. I think they should also put one up in Miss Teen SC's hometown as well.

She did after all win Southern Fried Football's babe of the year award, but I don't think they hand out rings for that.

"like bears to honey", you've done it now...xrotatehx

neersnbeers
January 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
so fine!!

APPride
January 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM

what I was ACTUALLY gonna post about, until I ran into that sidenote above, is how there is a sweet 3 message electronic billboard just before the ELON University exit on I-40. By 3 messages I mean it rotates between 3 different ASU championship signs. I bet they love that over @ Elon! :)

APPALACHIANstate
January 8th, 2008, 09:33 AM

And people make fun because she is at our school?

B&G
January 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM

They better not... that might cause too many accidents.

gophoenix
January 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
what I was ACTUALLY gonna post about, until I ran into that sidenote above, is how there is a sweet 3 message electronic billboard just before the ELON University exit on I-40. By 3 messages I mean it rotates between 3 different ASU championship signs. I bet they love that over @ Elon! :)

I love the amount of sportsmanship and rubbing it in that App fans really pride themselves on. I am wondering if a billboard would even stand in Boone is Elon, UNC, ECU or a WCU national championship was put on it there.

neersnbeers
January 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I love the amount of sportsmanship and rubbing it in that App fans really pride themselves on. I am wondering if a billboard would even stand in Boone is Elon, UNC, ECU or a WCU national championship was put on it there.

Not talking trash, but there really isn't any point in putting one (non-App) in Boone. Elon just happens to be right off popular I-40 that runs completly accross the state.

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 11:00 AM

ha there are no billboards in boone brother...so probably not.....but if there were.........probably not UNC, theyve won stuff before....but if elon, ecu, or wcu wanted to spend all the money one the numerous billboards that appalachian has, then yes probably. its also important to look at, however, that BOONE IS APPALACHIAN STATE....thats what the town is made up of, its the life of Boone, the life of the high country area as a whole. the same really cant be said for the Elon. There are far more App alumni in the Elon-area than Elon alums in Watuaga county. xcoffeex

gophoenix
January 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
ha there are no billboards in boone brother...so probably not.....but if there were.........probably not UNC, theyve won stuff before....but if elon, ecu, or wcu wanted to spend all the money one the numerous billboards that appalachian has, then yes probably. its also important to look at, however, that BOONE IS APPALACHIAN STATE....thats what the town is made up of, its the life of Boone, the life of the high country area as a whole. the same really cant be said for the Elon. There are far more App alumni in the Elon-area than Elon alums in Watuaga county. xcoffeex

I love all the two-faced arguments from App fans. It really makes reading enjoying. There is always justification for why App does things but not justification for anyone else doing things. xlolx

I for one don't have one problem with the billboards. But these billboards for the past 3 years have been strategically placed in front of exits and nearby to most of the major public and private colleges in a state, espite high populations of Apps in the city or not (like on side streets in HP and Greensboro near other universities).

BTW, there are more Elon grads in Alamanace County than App grads.

neersnbeers
January 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah sure, "strategically placed in Greensboro and High Point", places without football programs. Come on dude. Plus there is a huge alumni base in the Triad.

AppStsGr8
January 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
The only one I've seen so far in the Asheville area is on US 70 between Swannanoa and Black Mountain. For those of you who don't know the area, that's officially in the middle of nothing - plus it's at an odd angle to the road. If I weren't from around here, I wouldn't have noticed it.

The article about the sign in Greenwood seems to indicate that these are "donated" by Fairway Outdoor Advertising. That means they're using them on unsold signs in the same manner they'd do for a public service announcement. Other than placing the only SC one in Armanti's hometown, I don't imagine there's anything strategic about them at all other than covering signs that would otherwise be blank or in some state of signese disrepair.

lizrdgizrd
January 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I love all the two-faced arguments from App fans. It really makes reading enjoying. There is always justification for why App does things but not justification for anyone else doing things. xlolx

I for one don't have one problem with the billboards. But these billboards for the past 3 years have been strategically placed in front of exits and nearby to most of the major public and private colleges in a state, espite high populations of Apps in the city or not (like on side streets in HP and Greensboro near other universities).

I've only seen 2 of these billboards in the past couple years. One is on I-40/I-85 near Mebane and the other was on US 70 somewhere around Selma. I think it makes sense to put the billboards on routes where prospective students would pass by. Kids looking at one college might take a look at App too. Just seems like good use of advertising dollars. xpeacex

asu7
January 8th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Its called marketing folks ... If me (an APP alum) owned billboards and if they were unsold I would put the APP Championship things up in areas where we could recruit for sports and just to get people to come to the university.

Touchdown Yosef
January 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I thought it might be nice gesture to send an appreciative email to Fairview Outdoor Advertising, as that is a wonderful donation from that company and extremely beneficial to Appalachian State, but I have been unable to find a website for their company. Does anyone have any more information on the company and how to contact them?

AppStsGr8
January 8th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Fairway Outdoor Advertising is listed in the Asheville phone book with a phone number of 828-684-1900.

dungeonjoe
January 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Don't depend on her to give you directions to find her hometown.

The Moody1
January 8th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I thought it might be nice gesture to send an appreciative email to Fairview Outdoor Advertising, as that is a wonderful donation from that company and extremely beneficial to Appalachian State, but I have been unable to find a website for their company. Does anyone have any more information on the company and how to contact them?

Here ya' go.

http://www.fairwayoutdoor.com/

The Moody1
January 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM

How many Elon grads are in Alamance?

KiddBrewer
January 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM
win and we'll see

AppGirl
January 8th, 2008, 02:32 PM
The only one I've seen so far in the Asheville area is on US 70 between Swannanoa and Black Mountain. For those of you who don't know the area, that's officially in the middle of nothing - plus it's at an odd angle to the road. If I weren't from around here, I wouldn't have noticed it.

The article about the sign in Greenwood seems to indicate that these are "donated" by Fairway Outdoor Advertising. That means they're using them on unsold signs in the same manner they'd do for a public service announcement. Other than placing the only SC one in Armanti's hometown, I don't imagine there's anything strategic about them at all other than covering signs that would otherwise be blank or in some state of signese disrepair.

Exactly!!! Since their used to be a billboard company in my family, I can assure you that this is how the placements are generally chosen for freebies like this. It looks better, for the company, to have a board with something on it than to have it empty, or to have one that is has a torn poster on it. xrulesx

Touchdown Yosef
January 8th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Here ya' go.

http://www.fairwayoutdoor.com/

Not sure if that is the right company, the article cites Fairview Outdoor Advertising. I sent an appreciative email anyway as the article may have had it spelled wrong and I can't find anything for Fairview. Just in case anyone else wanted to do the same here is the contact page.

http://www.fairwayoutdoor.com/contact/

AppGirl
January 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Fairway is the correct name.

lizrdgizrd
January 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I know of at least one. My dad. :D

Jerbearasu
January 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM

If they won't give her a ring I'd be more than happy to get down on one knee and give her one... just not sure I am ready for the responsibility of what would happen 9 months later (I've got too much football left to watch in my youth!)...

gophoenix
January 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Alamance 3031-Elon, 951-App

You can get this information from both websites.

hapapp
January 8th, 2008, 06:07 PM
"I for one don't have one problem with the billboards. But these billboards for the past 3 years have been strategically placed in front of exits and nearby to most of the major public and private colleges in a state, espite high populations of Apps in the city or not (like on side streets in HP and Greensboro near other universities)."

Exactly!!! Since their used to be a billboard company in my family, I can assure you that this is how the placements are generally chosen for freebies like this. It looks better, for the company, to have a board with something on it than to have it empty, or to have one that is has a torn poster on it. xrulesx

So much for the GoPhoenix strategically placed theory.

gophoenix
January 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
"I for one don't have one problem with the billboards. But these billboards for the past 3 years have been strategically placed in front of exits and nearby to most of the major public and private colleges in a state, espite high populations of Apps in the city or not (like on side streets in HP and Greensboro near other universities)."

So much for the GoPhoenix strategically placed theory.

Someone saying something on a message board doesn't make it true or false.

But yes, it pretty much shoots my theory down. But then again, I was going off the posts from App people saying their admins PAY for this.

james_lawfirm
January 8th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Someone saying something on a message board doesn't make it true or false.

But yes, it pretty much shoots my theory down. But then again, I was going off the posts from App people saying their admins PAY for this.

Actually, everyone here might be correct. I used to be in the billboard business (as AppGirl has noted). My guess is that Fairway donated the space rent-free and ASU had to pay for the production costs (paper/vinyl/design).

When my company did it, we traded for football tickets. In fact, that is how I got hooked on ASU football. When I got out of the business, I kept buying the tickets.

Rekdiver
January 8th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think Elon should move their campus to a less traveled area of the state so they won't be so close to the best spots for a billboard. Really 3,000 alumni in Almance? I was surprised by that given the cost of education there.
While you are lookin at alums and the I-40 corridor, Wake, Forsyth, Orange and Gilford are populated by 14,000 ASU grads...

Appaholic69
January 8th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Actually, everyone here might be correct. I used to be in the billboard business (as AppGirl has noted). My guess is that Fairway donated the space rent-free and ASU had to pay for the production costs (paper/vinyl/design).

When my company did it, we traded for football tickets. In fact, that is how I got hooked on ASU football. When I got out of the business, I kept buying the tickets.

Everyone go back and read the article once, or maybe two more times, and get the facts correct as they are written in the article. Space, materials and other costs were covered by the company that rents the billboards. As far as any agrugments regarding an "unsportsmanlike" or "inappropriate" placing of the billboards, wouldn't it be prudent to learn the exact location of all of the signs and attempt to determine from actual relevent gathered information like that before throwing out accusations of impropriety.
Or do all winner haters go off half cocked?

GreatAppSt
January 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM

This waaah pearl was brought to you by, AGS's resident source of xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx.

tsk!

james_lawfirm
January 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Everyone go back and read the article once, or maybe two more times, and get the facts correct as they are written in the article. Space, materials and other costs were covered by the company that rents the billboards. As far as any agrugments regarding an "unsportsmanlike" or "inappropriate" placing of the billboards, wouldn't it be prudent to learn the exact location of all of the signs and attempt to determine from actual relevent gathered information like that before throwing out accusations of impropriety.
Or do all winner haters go off half cocked?

What article? I was just replying to GoPhoenix. If the space, materials, and other costs were covered by the billboard company, then I will guaran-darn-tee everyone that ASU had absolutely no part in deciding on the placement of the billboards. End of discussion.

hapapp
January 15th, 2008, 04:57 PM
From the article:
http://www.indexjournal.com/articles/2008/01/07/sports/sports03.txt

“We donated a space that we weren’t using,” Griffiths said. “They’re all over North Carolina. We’ve got 32 posters (which is what Greenwood’s sign is considered) and seven full bulletin boards with App. State on them.”

Griffiths said the Appalachian State sign in Greenwood is the only one in the Palmetto State. There was discussion of putting a few more up near one of the home offices in Duncan, but Griffiths said, “With Furman and Wofford right there, we didn’t think it would be a good idea. We didn’t want to show it off in their faces.”

furman94
January 15th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Shoot, I only wish Furman had a billboard! We don't even have season ticket commercials! I think I'm gonna have to become Advertising Executive for the University later on in years!

APPride
January 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
From the article:
http://www.indexjournal.com/articles/2008/01/07/sports/sports03.txt

“We donated a space that we weren’t using,” Griffiths said. “They’re all over North Carolina. We’ve got 32 posters (which is what Greenwood’s sign is considered) and seven full bulletin boards with App. State on them.”

Griffiths said the Appalachian State sign in Greenwood is the only one in the Palmetto State. There was discussion of putting a few more up near one of the home offices in Duncan, but Griffiths said, “With Furman and Wofford right there, we didn’t think it would be a good idea. We didn’t want to show it off in their faces.”

signs...