PDA

View Full Version : Final AP Poll

Touchdown Yosef
January 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
I didn't see it posted yet but Appalachian received five votes in the final AP Poll of the year. I Believe that puts us at 34. Of course I would have loved to see us higher but I am pretty excited about 34.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=aprate010708&prov=st&type=lgns

FCS Preview
January 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM
congrats to App State

The last time four teams received first-place votes in the final AP poll was after the 1977 season, when No. 1 Notre Dame, No. 2 Alabama, No. 3 Arkansas and No. 4 Texas split up the top votes.

ASUMountaineer
January 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Nice to see that so long after our season ended. Interesting how things ended up in the FBS...was hoping for a split championship.

D1scout
January 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Nice to see that so long after our season ended. Interesting how things ended up in the FBS...was hoping for a split championship.

ASU, you got your wish! It is split, just ask any number of fans in the FBC Division. Your choices rank anywhere from LSC and Ohio State to Georgia, Kansas, or West Virginia. I don't believe that LSU and OSU were the best two teams at the end of the season but they just happened to luck out as the last comics standing.xlolx

asu7
January 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
ASU, you got your wish! It is split, just ask any number of fans in the FBC Division. Your choices rank anywhere from LSC and Ohio State to Georgia, Kansas, or West Virginia. I don't believe that LSU and OSU were the best two teams at the end of the season but they just happened to luck out as the last comics standing.xlolx

exactly ...

This is why we are hearing talks of plus one ... which is a start for our little brothers and their bowls xlolx

Appaholic69
January 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Just thought I would post this link to anyone who would be interested.

https://goasu.com/article/11424/

BTW didn't get new pics of construction progress due to illness. Sorry!

HaveFunKc
January 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I didn't see it posted yet but Appalachian received five votes in the final AP Poll of the year. I Believe that puts us at 34. Of course I would have loved to see us higher but I am pretty excited about 34.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=aprate010708&prov=st&type=lgns

For those who would like to see the voters and their actual votes, the AP publishes...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/voters.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME

App actually had a single writer from El Paso vote them in at #21... What's really amazing is no press from our own state gave them no love at all!! It's nice to have anyone vote (even if it is only one voter), and I'm not one that thought App would break in to the top 25. However, you would think local press would have shown some love... xconfusedx

poly51
January 8th, 2008, 11:25 PM
The National Championship game should have been Southern Cal and Georgia. The pundits say that the National Champinship is not for the teams playing the best at the end of the year, but those playing best for the whole year. However a playoff system would be won by the one playing the best at the end of the year.

Grizalltheway
January 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
The National Championship game should have been Southern Cal and Georgia. The pundits say that the National Champinship is not for the teams playing the best at the end of the year, but those playing best for the whole year. However a playoff system would be won by the one playing the best at the end of the year.

Funny, isn't that how it works in every other sport? xconfusedx

PaladinFan
January 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM

I'm a UGA fan and I have a hard time believing the Dawgs should have been in the championship game. Championship teams just aren't supposed to lose to anyone like they did to Tennessee...

That aside, any FBS national championship that does not feature the SEC champ is not worth watching. They are just that much better than everyone else.

asu7
January 9th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I'm a UGA fan and I have a hard time believing the Dawgs should have been in the championship game. Championship teams just aren't supposed to lose to anyone like they did to Tennessee...

That aside, any FBS national championship that does not feature the SEC champ is not worth watching. They are just that much better than everyone else.

Agree 100% ... until someone beats em they are the conference to beat!

OSU thought they had it this time but it was the same result just a different team than last year.

AlphaSigMD
January 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Nice that they remembered us after all that time. I wonder if Michigan had managed to win the Big 10 and gone to a BCS game if ASU would have finished higher. UM looked impressive against UF, managing to win even with 3 turnovers that were certain TD's.

back2back
January 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
For those who would like to see the voters and their actual votes, the AP publishes...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/collegefootball_front/votes/voters.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME

App actually had a single writer from El Paso vote them in at #21... What's really amazing is no press from our own state gave them no love at all!! It's nice to have anyone vote (even if it is only one voter), and I'm not one that thought App would break in to the top 25. However, you would think local press would have shown some love... xconfusedx

Kirk Herbstreit didn't vote for ASU? I was really surprised that Dave Goren at Channel 12 in Winston-Salem didn't!

GeauxColonels
January 9th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Funny, isn't that how it works in every other sport? xconfusedx
Not quite. In order to get selected for the playoffs, you have to have a solid SEASON...not just a 5-game winning streak at the end. In FCS, Georgia wouldn't have even been guaranteed a spot in the playoffs because they couldn't win their conference.

Sure it HELPS to be hot at the end of the season, but that isn't the end-all determinating factor. When you can't win your division in your conference much less the conference title, or you lose at home to a 41-point underdog, you can't convince me at all that a team like that deserves a shot at the title when there are other teams with more impressive SEASONS.

HaveFunKc
January 10th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Kirk Herbstreit didn't vote for ASU? I was really surprised that Dave Goren at Channel 12 in Winston-Salem didn't!

No one said Goren didn't rank right up there with Herbie on the intelligence scale... xsmhx

AshevilleApp2
January 10th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Not quite. In order to get selected for the playoffs, you have to have a solid SEASON...not just a 5-game winning streak at the end. In FCS, Georgia wouldn't have even been guaranteed a spot in the playoffs because they couldn't win their conference.

Sure it HELPS to be hot at the end of the season, but that isn't the end-all determinating factor. When you can't win your division in your conference much less the conference title, or you lose at home to a 41-point underdog, you can't convince me at all that a team like that deserves a shot at the title when there are other teams with more impressive SEASONS.

You're right, under the current FBS format Georgia and USC didn't deserve to reach the championship game. However, based on the fact of how well both played at the end of the season, I have to believe that both would have made an eight team playoff. After that it is anybody's guess as to who would win.

If our division had the same format as FBS, Northern Iowa and McNeese State would have played in Chattanooga.

D1scout
January 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
exactly ...

This is why we are hearing talks of plus one ... which is a start for our little brothers and their bowls xlolx

"Plus-One" won't do it in my mind. This is just another way the NC$$ and the "big boys" of FBS are trying to control the outcome and the "bucks"! What they need is a "Plus-THREE"! Why don't they just give up a real tournament champion not the bias opinions of a bunch of people making $$ off of all the "BS" that they spin for a living?xconfusedx

asu7
January 16th, 2008, 01:52 PM
"Plus-One" won't do it in my mind. This is just another way the NC$$ and the "big boys" of FBS are trying to control the outcome and the "bucks"! What they need is a "Plus-THREE"! Why don't they just give up a real tournament champion not the bias opinions of a bunch of people making $$ off of all the "BS" that they spin for a living?xconfusedx

true that ...

but atleast it is a start ...xthumbsupx